You are Here:
deck idea - is it out?

Author (Read 1320 times)

deck idea - is it out?
« on: December 27, 2011, 08:59:32 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
so i was thinking of some some tricks i could do with color changing deck style and i was wondering is there a deck out there with one half red one half green?
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

Re: deck idea - is it out?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 09:07:39 PM »

awesomeness12

• Forum Regular
I'm not sure but it would be cool- sounds like a Christmas deck!   ;D
Most Recently Added: Variety Box v4
Decks I'm looking for: Black Crowns, Smoke and Mirrors v5, Centurions, Sentinels.

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 09:08:48 PM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
well the idea would be for color changing the entire deck, spread one way its red, other way its green.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 10:12:33 PM »

danktrees

• Elite Member
they can do it like the invisible deck except 1 side is one colour and the other side is another.

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 10:23:38 PM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
I seen a deck somewhere like tat it was in a souvenir shop though and wasnt bicycle.
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 01:51:16 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
so i was thinking of some some tricks i could do with color changing deck style and i was wondering is there a deck out there with one half red one half green?

I don't know, but you do know you could MAKE one if you wanted to, right?

The hard but cheap way would be using a few red/green decks, splitting the layers, Xacto-cutting the halves and regluing them together on the fronts.  This was the old-school way magicians created their own gaffs.

The easy but more expensive way is to have a deck made to your specs.  You can get Mandolin Backs and Phoenix Deck Phoenix Backs custom altered to suit your needs, for a price.

The in-between alternative would be having a SINGLE gaff created - for example, a half-red/half-green backed card, either with anything on the front or with another half-n-half back on the front.  You can get 5000 prints of a single Mandolin Back gaff for only $300.  From there, you can either split them as mentioned above, or use roughing spray on them to "mate" them with the normal cards in your deck idea.  The roughing spray alternative isn't as effective in certain ways, but can lead you to more interesting and creative concepts due to its versatility.

Have fun!
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 01:59:31 AM »

phantom1412

• Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
For me: i woukd use svengali decks principle. Buying 1 red rider back, and one green rider back. Use only half of each to make a gimmick deck

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 03:00:36 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I like that idea, but add the roughing spray to it and you can still do spreads, something a standard Svengali can't do.  It's the concept behind the Mirage deck.  That would make for a sweet color change deck.  Thing is, though, you want to do it right, you need precision cutting materials, including a card rounder.  Trimming a NARROW strip from the top (or one side!) without a rounder (which is a bloody expensive limited-use tool) could give you a deck you can get away with in most audiences, but the problem is that the more narrow you trim it, the easier it is to fool the spectators but the harder it is to use the deck unless you have a very delicate touch - cutting it that narrow would practically demand using roughing spray to keep the cards together that you want kept together.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 03:03:47 AM by Good@Sabacc »

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 10:24:57 AM »

vmagic

I have a deck similar to your idea, it's called the Knockout deck and also involves the whole deck turning into the Q Hearts, just search for it, there are videos out there, unfortunately the cards are red/blue but still cool.

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 12:45:57 PM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
ok thanks, yea i have tried making my own and i really cant for people can see the cuts where i split it.

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2011, 03:43:42 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I don't know if I am understanding your idea correctly, but if I am, that idea already exists. I don't think theres red and green but there IS red and blue.

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2011, 09:13:40 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I don't know if I am understanding your idea correctly, but if I am, that idea already exists. I don't think theres red and green but there IS red and blue.

We know this - the specific point was that he wanted red/green and not red/blue.  I guess it's more Christmas-y...

Do you have any cool ideas for coming up with such decks on your own, or know a retailer selling a red/green version of what he's seeking?

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2011, 01:35:30 AM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
Actually my idea came from a story I wanted to use with a stop light turning red to green but depending on the way they are spread they are one color or the other.