You are Here:
Just a standard looking deck

Author (Read 2245 times)

Just a standard looking deck
« on: December 31, 2011, 07:46:29 PM »

vice

• Newcomer
Hey everybody. I am having a problem. My ordinary deck of cards that i use is either bees, tally-hos or bicycle. However, since the deck is unknown here in cold Sweden, many people think it is a tricked deck. Is there any deck out on the market than is one solid colour. Sure... bees have a back that is kinda plain but im looking for maybe a deck that has an all blue back or an all red back with white borders. Very plain but i think that it could be nice.
Also i practice about 5 hours a day and seing the pattern is not really interesting. A plain deck would feel so much... i dont know... cleaner is the word maybe?

Anyway, im sure one of the experienced collectors got some juice for me.

Thanks in advance, and a happy new year to all people.

Re: Just a standard looking deck
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 07:49:31 PM »

sinsandman

• Extraordinaire
  • Sinister
Just a solid back? Still maintaining performance? None that know of...but my knowledge is somewhat limited. I know the LTD deck is very simple and dark. I enjoy it.
Magical as Sin!

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 08:00:08 PM »

vice

• Newcomer
The ltd deck is close but not there yet. Im thinking more of a bright colour, like red and blue colour just like jerrys.

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 09:04:59 PM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
How about wynns? There's the shell logo, but other than that, it's pretty much one plain color.
Grin like a Cheshire cat, and remember: we're all mad here.

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 09:15:02 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Friar's Club decks are one solid color, but very pricey (about $30 per deck).

If your audience thinks you use a trick deck, but you're not actually using one, just have them look at it. =P
Forum Founder.

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 09:17:45 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:
Can't you just use the common deck in Sweden? You know, one that everyone will recognize.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 10:19:07 PM »

Lushbob

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Can't you just use the common deck in Sweden? You know, one that everyone will recognize.

I'm guessing they don't use it because it handles like crap, like every single deck in the UK. The only deck sold in shops in the UK that I've ever come across that isn't horrible at handling was a bridge size Waddington's Number 1 deck with Linen Finish. And after about an hour or two, they handle terribly aswell.
"What have future generations ever done for us?" - Groucho Marx

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 10:28:21 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:

I'm guessing they don't use it because it handles like crap, like every single deck in the UK. The only deck sold in shops in the UK that I've ever come across that isn't horrible at handling was a bridge size Waddington's Number 1 deck with Linen Finish. And after about an hour or two, they handle terribly aswell.

Ahhhhh...makes sense. I'm sorry to hear that man.

I don't see the problem with Bee decks. They are so plain, and no one ever comments on those being a trick deck to me.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012, 07:43:00 AM »

vice

• Newcomer
Yeah but the bee decks do not have white border. Sure i could use stingers, but i am more interested in a solid plain colour. Im surprised there is not any that can be found.

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2012, 06:27:47 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Such a deck is difficult to find because a perfectly solid color would show wear and markings (both accidental and intentional) more easily than a patterned deck would.

I've heard Anglo is a pretty decent brand, though I can't speak for it myself.

I also hear that Fournier (a subsidiary of USPC) makes some quality deck as well as cheaper ones.  The only Fournier-made decks I have are the budget model 505s and the plastic Karnival Death Heads decks.  They're pretty nice, though the 505s aren't as good as Tally Ho or Bee - they're more like Bikes with a smooth finish.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2013, 11:15:39 PM »

John Spade

• Forum Regular

• Facebook:
Hey Vice, hopefully this thread isn't so old that it's no longer relevant, but the NOC decks are exactly what you're describing and should work perfectly for you!

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 01:38:25 AM »

Benjam

• True Member
That's exactly what I came onto this thread to say xD NOC decks would be perfect, but sadly they'd be more expensive than your standard cards haha
But I'd have to agree with Alex, the best thing to do is just to show your audience that the cards aren't trick cards in any way... though I have to say, as a general commentary on this topic, I've never really had someone say that I was using trick cards (and I never do use trick cards)... I don't live in the US, so designs like bicycles and tally hos etc are not well known here in Australia, but still, people never accuse me of using trick cards :) I dunno why...
I feel your pain though, the only brand of cards produced here in Australia (Queen's Slipper playing cards) are absolutely shit... definitely not usable :(

Hey Vice, hopefully this thread isn't so old that it's no longer relevant, but the NOC decks are exactly what you're describing and should work perfectly for you!

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2013, 01:49:28 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
The NOC is a good choice, as is the Club Angel deck from Angel Playing Cards in Japan.  Getting either in your country, however, will be a challenge since I doubt you're local stationery store is carrying them.

My comment on the Fournier 505s still stands - simple deck, simple but attractive design, though it's not a solid color.  Fournier also has a model 605 - the Lee Asher signature deck!  It's the same deck made to somewhat higher quality standards.  505s come in red and blue while 605s come in brown and green - both share the same back design.  Since they're made in the EU, I'd imagine it's not as hard to obtain them from where you live.

You can also try card-shark.de - Card Shark from Germany.  They make a simple design reminiscent of the Aladdin deck using USPC standard faces and big Aces.  They're also made in many trick versions as well, including stripper, forcing, Svengali, gaffed, marked and "double decker" (half-thickness cards allow you to fit two entire packs into the space of one, useful for certain stunts and tricks).  But of all the suggestions here, that would likely garner the most suspicion from your spectators, especially if they consider decks like Bicycle and Tally Ho to be suspect.

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2013, 07:16:10 AM »

Pacis

• Forum Regular
I concur with it's being said. NOCs are great. Fournier 505 also, even not solid color.
I advise you to also check Phoenix decks and also Fournier 18-00. I love them all.

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2013, 12:40:04 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I concur with it's being said. NOCs are great. Fournier 505 also, even not solid color.
I advise you to also check Phoenix decks and also Fournier 18-00. I love them all.

I'm not familiar with the Fournier 18-00.  I don't suppose you have some photos handy to post?  :))

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2013, 10:27:29 PM »

Pacis

• Forum Regular
Sure, Don Boyer.
I'll do that tomorrow :)

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2013, 10:36:15 AM »

Pacis

• Forum Regular
Here are some photos:

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2013, 11:21:17 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Here are some photos:

The deck looks gorgeous.  Is the quality on par with the 505s or better?

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2013, 12:01:01 AM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
  • Ugh, I wish I had money for THAT deck!
Wow I like the look of that deck a loooot! I think it is quite attractive! I am as curious as Don is as to the quality of the deck though.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 12:05:49 PM by Michael »
"The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2013, 10:09:25 AM »

Pacis

• Forum Regular
Definitely, Don Boyer and Michael. I really like this deck.
Quality wise I can say it pretty much is on par with the 505s, and the stock seems to be a little bit stiffer.

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2013, 10:43:34 AM »

Marcus

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran
As a fellow Swede, I'd recommend sticking to whatever deck of cards you prefer yourself. So far I've used every single E deck, the t11 Monarchs, Rebels, regular Bikes and Tally Ho's, the red Verve deck, Bee Coterie etc etc and it's not really about the deck design. Hold it like a regular pack of cards and treat it that way (a lot of times people tend to treat it like it's fragile which gives off a vibe of suspicion). There will always be a spectator every now and then that believes it to be a trick deck. You can rarely convince them. Let them check out the cards if you want to, but that's about all you can do.

The only deck of cards that might be more common than others and that is recognized in Sweden is the Öbergs spelkort. But they're Bridge sized and handle like crap.

So to sum up - go with a deck that makes you feel more relaxed. If it's a pack of red Bicycle cards or the Satanic Worship Deck from Hell of Doom (OK, so I made this one up) doesn't matter.
Yes, I might be the guy you remember from that thing at that place way back when.

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2013, 06:05:33 PM »

The Quadfather

• Elite Member
The main thing is, even if you get a plain backed deck, people might still think you're using trick cards. That's because you're doing magic that is supposed to entertain and be something they've never seen before. They kind of have the right to be suspicious of this strange wad of printed paper boards that you're shoving in their faces. By working into the effect maybe a shuffle by the spectator or someway to give them hands on experience with the cards, they'll stop thinking "this magic stuff is fishy business, it must be a trick" and just start enjoying the magic.
My mom always said I'd be great at something. Who'd have thought that something would be zombie killin'.

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2013, 12:00:20 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
A lot of the design work of T11, Dan and Dave, Zenneth Kok, etc. is the creation of a gorgeous card backs combined with familiar, recognizable faces on the cards.  Most of their decks do little more than tweak the colors a tad, tossing in darker reds or metallic inks - which is just fine.  Zenneth himself said that he does this intentionally - his choice of making the Bee Coterie deck was influenced by the fact that of all the USPC brands available in China, the Bee brand is the most commonly used and recognized.  (And forged, too, but that's the subject of a different topic...)

Mind you, this is general purpose advice - you may find venues with audiences that are equally or more receptive to custom faces with various themes, such as almost any Karnival deck in a goth nightclub, a pack of Legends at a cocktail party in Hong Kong, a pack of Sentinels at a Freemasons lodge or a pack of Fathom for a professional divers' group.  But unless that's where you perform exclusively, you'll want to have a more general-purpose deck on hand and even then there will be people questioning the legitimacy of the deck.  It happens.  So what?  Let them see the deck, even handle it if it's something not too rare and precious (in which case, why the hell are you using it for magic?!) and make up their own minds.  Some skeptics are dyed-in-the-wool unwilling to be convinced.  That's their problem, not yours!