You are Here:
Anyone wanna help a newbie out?

Author (Read 884 times)

Anyone wanna help a newbie out?
« on: January 03, 2012, 02:42:04 PM »

Byaru

• Newcomer

• Facebook:
Since I'm pretty new to card flourishing and magic, I was wondering what would be good decks for someone who is just starting. All I have at the moment are just some standard Bicycles.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 02:43:39 PM by Byaru »

Re: Anyone wanna help a newbie out?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 02:44:36 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Since I'm pretty new to card flourishing, I was wondering what would be good decks for someone who is just starting. All I have at the moment are just some standard Bicycles.
There are tons of good decks for flourishing!
Try S&M, Fulton's Clip Joint, Tally Ho, Infinity, Artifice, Crown Decks, .... and the list could go on and on!
Those are just a few of the many decks you could use.

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 03:23:16 PM »

dee1orean

• Elite Member

• Facebook:
Nothing wrong with Bicycles, use them to build your skill level, one handed and multipacket cuts can all be performed easily enough. As you get better move on to some Tally Ho's still cheap enough that when you Ruin a deck playing 52 card pick up after attempting a  behind the back deck spring (ficticious move... At least I think...) you won't be too upset!!!

My personal favorites for flourishing are Devo's Blades, White and Midnight editions, but they do wear out quickly and are now a bit pricey...

Most importantly have fun and enjoy it.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 03:24:21 PM by dee1orean »
I'm the Master of Nonsensical Sense and illogical Logic

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 03:52:03 PM »

Lushbob

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I'm primarily a card collector, although I'm also interested in magic, card sleights, flourishes and cardistry. Basically, anything that involves card manipulation.
So, as I'm a collector, I hate wearing out any decks; I love to keep my decks either sealed, or if they're not sealed, then I keep them in brilliant condition. So instead of using fancy/expensive decks to do my flourishing, I crack open some plain old Bicycles (definitely Cincinatti ones over Erlanger ones), Bees or Tally-Hos. I find the Tally-Hos to be the best when it comes to card manipulation. They seem to hold up for a lot longer, as long as you're using Cincinatti ones. Although, the Cincinatti Bicycles handle almost the same as Cincinatti Tally-Hos, in my opinion.
To be honest, my advice is to use whichever deck you think feels the nicest in your own hands, is the cheapest, or is the easiest to get hold of. Standard Bees, Bikes and Tally-Hos aren't amazing, but I think they're pretty good, especially considering their price. And for a beginner, I'd probably recommend those over any fancier, more expensive decks.
"What have future generations ever done for us?" - Groucho Marx

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 04:22:52 PM »

Byaru

• Newcomer

• Facebook:
Thanks everybody. I just found out that I got some Erlanger Bicycles... :/

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 04:48:47 PM »

zaganh

• Discourse Deity
  • Hakuna matata feet up sippin java ^^

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
smoke and mirrors =D

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 04:56:58 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Thanks everybody. I just found out that I got some Erlanger Bicycles... :/

New Erlanger Bikes (and other brands) are better than the early issues - look for copyright dates of 2011 and newer.

Tally Ho is great, and still cheap.  They're one of the best quality basic brands you can buy.

I don't know if you have Walgreens Pharmacies where you are, but their USPC brand, Stud, is decent quality.

Don't go crazy right off the bat looking for the "collectors' decks".  Work into it gradually.  Try going too fast and you could end up a lot poorer very quickly.  Stick with newer models until you have your bearings in the marketplace.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 09:35:24 PM »

MrLukeCarroll

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
Make sure you practice with the cheaper decks and then once your happy move on up to the more expensive ones, better to ruin a $2 deck than a $20 one :)
Mystery is the basic appeal of magic. Once the secrets are known, the magician becomes a mere manipulator, an actor in a suspense drama which has little impact because the audience knows the ending in advance.

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 11:24:45 PM »

Deboziology

• Forum Regular
  • Folie à deux.
Stick with the regular bikes until you get some moves down! They're plenty good for practice! Get a few DVDs to help you with your beginning interest in cardistry and magic. And then move on to Tally ho's and other custom decks! Hope I helped!
Check out my channel!: http://www.youtube.com/user/DanDebozioSong?feature=mhee

A madness shared by 52.

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 12:40:45 AM »

Byaru

• Newcomer

• Facebook:
Thanks everybody, you all helped me. I'll be sticking with the bicycles for now, and then look into getting some Tally Hos.