Total Members Voted: 19

Whats your Favorite?

Author (Read 3614 times)

Re: Whats your Favorite?
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2012, 07:10:51 AM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Motion control doesn't work for the traditional gamer at all.  I don' think it ever will, except maybe on-rial shooters (like Time Crisis and the fantastic House of the Dead) but even then, you need a light-gun style controller.  It isn't accurate enough and I love the tactile feedback from good solid buttons (I pretty much exclusively play with an arcade stick that I built; my control pad uses micro-switches for all the buttons and movement).  I don't think Kinect will ever be as big as MS hope it will be.  Yes, the Wii was innovative but perhaps most importantly, it was cheap.

As for the Blu-Ray player, I have a 19" PC monitor that displays up to 720p and no TV.  I'm not interested.

As for XBL, yes it's £30 a year or thereabouts but the servers run SO much better than PSN and when you're playing fighting games like I do, lag is unforgivable.  Put i this way; in Street Fighter, you sometimes have a 1/60th of a second window to get a move to combo; so 1/60th of a second of lag will make you miss it, eat a reversal uppercut, take a knockdown or worse.  It could make you lose the whole game when you've done absolutely nothing wrong.  For the better servers and staff to maintain them, I'm willing to throw them £2.50 a month.

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2012, 07:17:53 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Motion control doesn't work for the traditional gamer at all.  I don' think it ever will, except maybe on-rial shooters (like Time Crisis and the fantastic House of the Dead) but even then, you need a light-gun style controller.  It isn't accurate enough and I love the tactile feedback from good solid buttons (I pretty much exclusively play with an arcade stick that I built; my control pad uses micro-switches for all the buttons and movement).  I don't think Kinect will ever be as big as MS hope it will be.  Yes, the Wii was innovative but perhaps most importantly, it was cheap.

As for the Blu-Ray player, I have a 19" PC monitor that displays up to 720p and no TV.  I'm not interested.

As for XBL, yes it's £30 a year or thereabouts but the servers run SO much better than PSN and when you're playing fighting games like I do, lag is unforgivable.  Put i this way; in Street Fighter, you sometimes have a 1/60th of a second window to get a move to combo; so 1/60th of a second of lag will make you miss it, eat a reversal uppercut, take a knockdown or worse.  It could make you lose the whole game when you've done absolutely nothing wrong.  For the better servers and staff to maintain them, I'm willing to throw them £2.50 a month.

The Kinect will be successful, but not in the hardcore gamer market.  It was Microsoft's way of finally getting a set-top box into people's living rooms: disguise it as a videogame machine, then make it appealing to the non-gamers in the house.  They're now using it for voice command control of video playback - how cool is that?  Never worry about losing the remote - you ARE the remote.  There are arguably more non-gamers than gamers out there, so aiming for the broader market isn't exactly a bad idea.

(Don't get me wrong, I hate MS with a passion, but there's no denying a good idea.)

I'm not much of a gamer, but the few games I've played online, I never had any lag issues on the PS3.  Maybe it's just the servers near you?  Can anyone else chime in on this topic with some authority/experience?
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2012, 08:34:36 AM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
You probably wouldn't notice it much on FPS games because the lag correction for that is difficult to notice sometimes (people tend to teleport or not get hit now and then if it's really bad).  Dunno about racers but I imagine it's the same.  It's pretty much a problem just with fighting games due to how precise the inputs are and how fast your reactions need to be; the smallest amount of lag will ruin the game, basically.  There's been many attempts to find a solution for this but nothing's really worked yet.  GGPO is generally regarded as the best but you can get some weird stuff like KO-ing the opponent but then they're back up with health again and things like that.  The games I play just skip frames and that's terrible because it throws your timing way off.

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2012, 03:27:00 PM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
I dont game alot but when I do I prefer Xbox becuase the controlers are more comfortable and the game selection is good the main thing though is that that is the system I own.
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.