Follow up on Galvanic Playing Cards

Author (Read 32234 times)

Re: Follow up on Galvanic Playing Cards
« Reply #175 on: February 27, 2012, 09:48:21 PM »

SeanWhelan

• Discourse Lover

Here is the second court card to be revealed in the spade series:
http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/8118/queenofspades.jpg
Thank you everyone who pledged this project so far! 37 more days left and right now I'm about to break $6,000. Spread the word so that this deck can be produced : D
Sean Whelan
Creator/Designer of Bicycle Galvanic Playing cards

« Reply #176 on: February 27, 2012, 09:53:27 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
I really like that queen, except look at what she is holding in her hand. Anyone see a resemblance? Or just me and my perverted mind?

« Reply #177 on: February 27, 2012, 10:05:05 PM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
I really like that queen, except look at what she is holding in her hand. Anyone see a resemblance? Or just me and my perverted mind?
I think it is your mind... lol I see what you ment. Although it is a wand and looks pretty cool.
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #178 on: February 27, 2012, 10:13:41 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
I think it is your mind... lol I see what you ment. Although it is a wand and looks pretty cool.
Lol I need to go see the doctor LOL but anyways, now you won't see that queen the same way ever again!

« Reply #179 on: February 27, 2012, 10:57:02 PM »

SeanWhelan

• Discourse Lover

When I work on the court cards, I have a standard original court card laying in front of me. I keep that as a reference when I design. Again for my designs, I try to implement my theme into the original ones. I try to model whatever they are holding exactly how it looks. Any other thoughts on the court cards so far?

« Reply #180 on: February 28, 2012, 05:33:12 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
When I work on the court cards, I have a standard original court card laying in front of me. I keep that as a reference when I design. Again for my designs, I try to implement my theme into the original ones. I try to model whatever they are holding exactly how it looks. Any other thoughts on the court cards so far?

I recommend tweaking the shape on the top of the queen's scepter.  It looks like the bastard child of a club and a diamond.

Have you considered adding the suit symbols to the court characters?  Often they appear on court cards somewhere in the robes, but I could envision them appearing on the "Galvanics" as part of a spray-painted stencil on the side of the head or something, perhaps as part of a serial number.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #181 on: February 28, 2012, 10:46:14 PM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
I agree with Don here, the queen needs a little bit more work. I'm also not really in fond of that squiggles beside the scepter and the head. It could definitely look better.

« Reply #182 on: February 29, 2012, 03:06:17 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Congrats on hitting $6,000!
All we need is more resellers to hit this project! Its moving slow but its definitely moving! Lets keep the money coming!

« Reply #183 on: February 29, 2012, 10:27:52 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
I truly hope we reach 15,000! A bee stock and metallic ink would be truly amazing with this deck!!!!

« Reply #184 on: March 01, 2012, 09:56:43 PM »

SeanWhelan

• Discourse Lover

Just broke 7k tonight! Thank you everyone for the feedback.

« Reply #185 on: March 01, 2012, 09:57:52 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
Yay! Congrats! Only 3,000 to go. And hopefully we will get 8,000 more!

« Reply #186 on: March 01, 2012, 10:01:40 PM »

SeanWhelan

• Discourse Lover

I was thinking about something but wanted feedback before doing so. Once this deck gets funded the villain deck will be the follow up. No designs have been created but I do know exactly I'll be going for. Once the goal is funded, would everyone like a desciption of what that deck will look like? Or would you want to wait and see the back design a few months down the road? Both maybe? Which would you like.

« Reply #187 on: March 01, 2012, 10:03:15 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I was thinking about something but wanted feedback before doing so. Once this deck gets funded the villain deck will be the follow up. No designs have been created but I do know exactly I'll be going for. Once the goal is funded, would everyone like a desciption of what that deck will look like? Or would you want to wait and see the back design a few months down the road? Both maybe? Which would you like.
I definitely want to hear and see it!

Congratulations man! Thats a great step closer.  You're  so close to $10,000!

« Reply #188 on: March 01, 2012, 10:04:22 PM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
there is 1 mounth left on this deck, there is no doubt that it will get funded with some Extra
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #189 on: March 02, 2012, 06:05:06 AM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Congrats on the progress so far! It's awesome to see this project grow and hopefully succeed!

Maybe a little of both Sean. I think a little description would be nice but you don't want to give to much away  ;) Gotta save some of the excitement for later!
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #190 on: March 02, 2012, 11:52:17 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

The choice on that is solely yours, Sean.  You can use it as a teaser to get current funders to bump their funding a skosh and spread the word.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #191 on: March 06, 2012, 01:05:15 AM »

SeanWhelan

• Discourse Lover

Last court card in the spade series has now been revealed. Check out the Kickstarter page under the Update tab to view the image.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1293645903/galvanic-playing-cards-design-by-sean-whelan

Thank you everyone
Sean Whelan
3D Artist

« Reply #192 on: March 06, 2012, 03:03:52 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
The Jack of Spades is my favorite of the Court cards so far! Awesome job and congrats on your progress so far.

« Reply #193 on: March 08, 2012, 07:19:21 AM »

phantom1412

• Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
The project is going slowly.
I really hope this get through the goal.

« Reply #194 on: March 08, 2012, 11:29:49 AM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Sean, you've got plenty of time but you need to get out there and get people excited! There's not far to go but I think you need to make more noise on the forums, put together a little Tumblr or something about your project and give people some more meat to chew on! Get folks to spread the word for you, it will work wonders.
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #195 on: March 08, 2012, 12:24:13 PM »

SeanWhelan

• Discourse Lover

I know I'm doing the best I can : ( This is my first time ever doing this and it's just me behind this project. Do you guys have any ideas on how I could market the deck better?

« Reply #196 on: March 08, 2012, 01:21:57 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I know, it's a ton of work. I'd suggest that you set up a twitter account and facebook page for them and then spend some time out there liking other pages, following people, etc. Start putting up some links to images and the kickstarter, maybe setup a giveaway of some kind. I had a few little contests that would happen when I got to certain point of "socialness" and since people LOVE free stuff you'll get some attention that way.

I don't think I've seen a website for you or Galvanic, and with great free resources like Tumblr and similar services you can setup a nice looking website quickly and get content out there.

It certainly takes a lot of effort. I've spent at minimum a few hours a day, every day, for months on my project. And that is after the art is done! Stick with it though and setup a few more channels and I think you'll get to your goal.
Paul Carpenter

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #197 on: March 08, 2012, 01:35:03 PM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:
I know I'm doing the best I can : ( This is my first time ever doing this and it's just me behind this project. Do you guys have any ideas on how I could market the deck better?

Hey Sean,

The best thing you could to help the project is right at your fingertips! You can use Maya to create a nice Animation of the cards themselves. A playing card and tuck box model would take an hour at the most to build and then a couple hours to create the texture maps and surface all 54 cards (or less if you only feature some). After that it just comes down to parenting cards to each other and animating their rotation axles to create fans or other simple animations. You still have 28 days! You could whip out a video in a week and have plenty of time leftover to build more momemtum.

I don't buy the "I'm one person" comment. I would bet the majority of projects on Kickstarter are created by one person. Look at the success of Paul's Tendril Deck and Cosmo's Spectrum Deck. Both projects are one-man teams and both projects have videos as a big selling point. I know they both take advantage of having a prototype deck to shoot, but with Maya you don't need an actual physical copy to create a cool video.

Just my thoughts on what I would do.

thanks, Randy

« Reply #198 on: March 08, 2012, 01:41:36 PM »

Robert Butler

I think I will chime in...

Sean, Remember when you were going to make it a Modern Manipulator Deck?  We had some solid Ideas about creating an animations and a story within it.  I dont know how you got away from that but I think you should strongly consider some of the origional ideas we discussed a few months back. 

« Reply #199 on: March 08, 2012, 01:50:14 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
A video is a great idea and something a lot of people respond to. Put it on the KS as well as youtube and vimeo.

Some of my very first "promo" photos and such were done with fake cards I printed on my inkjet and creatively shot to look real. Having a prototype deck does help a lot, but as Randy said you can do it in 3D. As a little behind-the scenes-tidbit, I did some of my video using my camera on top of my daughter's lego car to get a smoother pan. :) You can do things on the cheap and quick if you get the vision in place.

If I can do this on my own, you can to. I'd wager you don't have a 3 month old baby and highly-interactive 4 year old dominating your time like I do. LOL. :)
Paul Carpenter