You are Here:
Follow up on Galvanic Playing Cards

Author (Read 32227 times)

Re: Follow up on Galvanic Playing Cards
« Reply #200 on: March 08, 2012, 01:57:22 PM »

Robert Butler

A video is a great idea and something a lot of people respond to. Put it on the KS as well as youtube and vimeo.

Some of my very first "promo" photos and such were done with fake cards I printed on my inkjet and creatively shot to look real. Having a prototype deck does help a lot, but as Randy said you can do it in 3D. As a little behind-the scenes-tidbit, I did some of my video using my camera on top of my daughter's lego car to get a smoother pan. :) You can do things on the cheap and quick if you get the vision in place.

If I can do this on my own, you can to. I'd wager you don't have a 3 month old baby and highly-interactive 4 year old dominating your time like I do. LOL. :)

He is very talented Paul and he already has the robot all modeled and ready to animate!  I say make that animation!!!

« Reply #201 on: March 08, 2012, 02:25:16 PM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:

I would suggest not worrying about animating the Robot. Just worry about the cards themselves, that's would people want to see and learn more about before they pledge. Any character animation would slow down the creation of the video and I don't think the casual Kickstarter lurker cares much about the story of the cards, they want to see what it is they are putting their hard-earned money towards. Another way to setup a couple quick scenes is to layout the cards in a pattern or even a random pile and setup a camera panning overhead. Let the camera do the work for a couple scenes!

OFF-TOPIC - Paul I have a 2 year old and a 4 year old who are crazy and crave attention! I feel your pain. It's a lot of fun though, and I wouldn't change it for anything.

thanks, Randy

« Reply #202 on: March 10, 2012, 06:21:16 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

I would suggest not worrying about animating the Robot. Just worry about the cards themselves, that's would people want to see and learn more about before they pledge. Any character animation would slow down the creation of the video and I don't think the casual Kickstarter lurker cares much about the story of the cards, they want to see what it is they are putting their hard-earned money towards. Another way to setup a couple quick scenes is to layout the cards in a pattern or even a random pile and setup a camera panning overhead. Let the camera do the work for a couple scenes!

OFF-TOPIC - Paul I have a 2 year old and a 4 year old who are crazy and crave attention! I feel your pain. It's a lot of fun though, and I wouldn't change it for anything.

thanks, Randy

As much as I'd love to see a cool animation with the deck's "characters", Randy's right in getting a quick "these are my cards, aren't they SO cool" video done and put it up, ready for your Kickstarter project.  Then once the ball is rolling, you can add the animation partway into the kickstart to revive incoming new investments and spark increases from current investors.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #203 on: March 12, 2012, 10:40:37 PM »

SeanWhelan

• Discourse Lover

Tuck case has been uploaded the Galvanic Kickstarter page! : D Go check it out!
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1293645903/galvanic-playing-cards-design-by-sean-whelan
Creator/Designer of Bicycle Galvanic Playing cards

« Reply #204 on: March 12, 2012, 10:54:11 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I see you didn't change the Times New Roman font.... that's ok, it still looks good.  :)

« Reply #205 on: March 12, 2012, 10:59:37 PM »

SeanWhelan

• Discourse Lover

The font is actually Arno Pro. i wanted everything to be consistant and not have 30 different kinds of fonts like some decks. Not to mention it fits the theme just fine

« Reply #206 on: March 13, 2012, 12:33:49 AM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
I really like that box, I am only pledged for 2 but I am going to have to move that to 3 :)
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #207 on: March 16, 2012, 09:02:01 PM »

SeanWhelan

• Discourse Lover

King of Diamonds has now been revealed on the kickstarter page. Go check it out under the update tab! If you haven't pledged please support me to make this project come true!

« Reply #208 on: March 21, 2012, 01:06:14 AM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:

Hey Sean,

Did you decide to work on a card animation for a Kickstarter video?

Thanks, Randy

« Reply #209 on: March 24, 2012, 12:38:41 AM »

SeanWhelan

• Discourse Lover

I apologize I haven't responded in awhile. I read the above post and to make it clear I would love to do a video like that. Unfortunately, at this point in time that type of video probably wont be done until a week or two after the Kickstarter page is complete. It takes many hours to do that type of work but I do want to do that for the follow up deck : )

Here is a new promotion to try and get the goal reached:

So with just 12 days left to get this project rolling, as days go on I will be posting special promotions to really get this goal reached. Starting tonight: The next person to pledge for the $1000 reward will receive an additional 144 decks free of charge! That's 288 total for that person alone! Each backer that pledged for that reward before that person will receive 72 decks in that tier for free! : D

« Reply #210 on: March 24, 2012, 12:26:41 PM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
Come on guys lets get this funded! I really want these to succeed because I love these cards, but it is going to be close. :)

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #211 on: March 24, 2012, 03:23:49 PM »

SeanWhelan

• Discourse Lover

Yes!!! Lets get this funded!! I know all you collectors would love these babies!! : D I understand going into this it was a big gamble because....well how different they are to most playing cards. They are not for magicians but for more collectors. I simply wanted to fuse my two passions into one creation thats all. Of course this is my first Kickstarter project so now I know what to expect with the villain deck. Definitely will have magicians in mind : )

« Reply #212 on: March 25, 2012, 02:19:36 AM »

SeanWhelan

• Discourse Lover

Someone is really trying to contact me to give them a set of the printing plates if they pledge for the $1000 reward -___-
are you kidding me? Those are something meaningful to a creator why would I give it away when these cards are printed...

« Reply #213 on: March 25, 2012, 01:17:47 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Someone is really trying to contact me to give them a set of the printing plates if they pledge for the $1000 reward -___-
are you kidding me? Those are something meaningful to a creator why would I give it away when these cards are printed...

Others are.  The idea of collecting plates, at least around here, came up when photos of a plate from the Mana deck popped up.  It's like how some people collect newspaper printing plates to display on their walls.

They may be rare and all that jazz, but what significance do they really hold for you?  I'd make a better deal than that - keep a front and back plate for yourself, make the others available as rewards at a high level.  With a deck that has four color faces and two color backs, you have a total of six.

The alternative could be that the plates never get made, because the deck doesn't get made.

« Reply #214 on: March 28, 2012, 06:40:19 PM »

SeanWhelan

• Discourse Lover

Have you pledged for your Bicycle Galvanic deck yet? With only a week left, the goal is only short by $1314. So close!! Since the Kickstarter went live, only a little over 980 decks have been pre-ordered. So here is what I can do for everyone: promotion time! : D  Starting tonight at 7 PM Eastern Time - Saturday 12 PM Noon Eastern Time.

For people who backed this project already: Since you guys have helped me get this far, if you would like to get a deck added to your order just simply increase your pledge by $4! Thats less then half the price. This is for international buyers as well. So thank you in advance for helping me along the way. Again, any extra decks you would like it'll be $4 per deck : D

For People who have not backed this project yet:
Each deck will be $9. Each additional deck after that in the same order will only be $6. For those choosing higher rewards please contact to cut you a deal depending on which reward you choose.

The first promotion still stands for resellers. However I'm raising the stakes! The next person who pledges for the $1000 reward will receive 300 decks! Each previous backer in that tier will receive an additional 72 decks free of charge this way everyone wins.

I want this project to succeed. It's been a dream of mine for a for year snow and a lot of effort when into these designs. I understand its very different then most playing cards on the market but this series was for collectors in mind. Not so much magicians.

Thank you everyone who pledged so far!! 7 days left. Only time will tell : D
Any questions or concerns please feel free to personally contact me at sean.whelan.designs@gmail.com

« Reply #215 on: March 28, 2012, 08:55:22 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Sean, you might consider printing plate offer. You'll have 8 of them, so you can easily keep your favorite pair and then sell the rest.

I'm getting them for my deck, and will let the others go to market. It really won't do you any good to have more than pair and if it can get your deck done, it might be a great option. I think they are worth many hundreds each, so don't give them away but of somebody wants them that badly...
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #216 on: March 28, 2012, 10:09:26 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
I think you should sell 1 of the plates because there are few days left and a couple thousand left. If that gets us over the goal, that would be nice. Anyways, if these don't get funded, no one will get the plates...

« Reply #217 on: March 29, 2012, 01:34:16 AM »

Rajas Paranjpe

• True Member

• Facebook:
Hello Sean,
I can see this is your second attempt at funding the same project.
As a support, I have backed for one deck.
Hope this time gets funded and you realize your dream.

Best Wishes!
Yours,
Owner,
Brahma Playing Cards
Manufacturer of highest quality customized playing cards in paper and plastic.
Experts in making custom playing cards for magicians, cardistry, card games and poker.
http://www.brahmaplayingcards.com

« Reply #218 on: March 29, 2012, 01:38:22 AM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
Hey sean, If this doesn`t reach funding you could always print through Rajas company, They seem to have good quality and then this deck, that should have been funded the first time through idk why it is having such a hard time getting funded, I like it more than alot of decks out there, Will get funded.

« Reply #219 on: March 29, 2012, 01:57:38 AM »

SeanWhelan

• Discourse Lover

Thank you everyone for their support! I have actually had a lot of people tell me they love my designs compared to most decks coming out recently. So why is it having such a hard time reaching its goal? Its because how different it is. These truly utilize cgi into the designs and have a very futuristic feel to them. Nothing wrong with breaking away from the norm though : P

« Reply #220 on: March 29, 2012, 07:12:12 AM »

Robert Butler

Sean, Your concepts are great and thats not why your having trouble.  Why your a strong artist, marketing is your weakness.  I feel like if you had maintained a strong presence on Facebook, twitter, Kickstarter & all possible forums it you have made a difference.  Marketing is tedious and take creativity to make it work well.  I know you have tried but its just how it works. 

« Reply #221 on: March 29, 2012, 07:42:00 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Thank you everyone for their support! I have actually had a lot of people tell me they love my designs compared to most decks coming out recently. So why is it having such a hard time reaching its goal? Its because how different it is. These truly utilize cgi into the designs and have a very futuristic feel to them. Nothing wrong with breaking away from the norm though : P

Sean, Your concepts are great and thats not why your having trouble.  Why your a strong artist, marketing is your weakness.  I feel like if you had maintained a strong presence on Facebook, twitter, Kickstarter & all possible forums it you have made a difference.  Marketing is tedious and take creativity to make it work well.  I know you have tried but its just how it works. 

I think the market as a whole has slowed down a bit since the holidays.  Can't you tell?  Dan and Dave haven't released a new deck in, what, days?  :))

If you haven't noticed, a lot of people are talking on this board and probably on others about how they're tightening their belts a bit more than usual and really getting choosy about the decks they buy.

Robert raises a very valid point about marketing.  Are you promoting the cards on Facebook?  Are you popping in on the card boards (funny!) often and talking up the production?  What other ideas do you have for promotions besides just giveaways?  Because if you aren't drawing new people to the project, you'll have no one new to give those offers to.  Have you tried contests either here or on FB or both?

You aren't just in the business of making and designing playing cards.  You're in the business of getting eyeballs on your products and generating interest in them.  Beta videocassettes were the technically-superior product at the dawn of the home VCR age - but because Sony failed to market the format effectively, it crashed and burned in favor of the cheaper VHS cassette.  HD-DVD suffered the same fate when high-definition video discs came to the market place.  Don't be the next Beta or HD-DVD.

You only need a SMALL amount to get you over the hump.  Promote the crap out of this project, get on FB and make up a contest that stirs up attention, FAST.

« Reply #222 on: March 29, 2012, 12:30:11 PM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
Ahh, we are just onder $800 to go! Please people if you havn't can you pledge for even 1 deck!! :)

« Reply #223 on: March 29, 2012, 12:39:56 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:

I think the market as a whole has slowed down a bit since the holidays.  Can't you tell?  Dan and Dave haven't released a new deck in, what, days?  :))

If you haven't noticed, a lot of people are talking on this board and probably on others about how they're tightening their belts a bit more than usual and really getting choosy about the decks they buy.

Robert raises a very valid point about marketing.  Are you promoting the cards on Facebook?  Are you popping in on the card boards (funny!) often and talking up the production?  What other ideas do you have for promotions besides just giveaways?  Because if you aren't drawing new people to the project, you'll have no one new to give those offers to.  Have you tried contests either here or on FB or both?

You aren't just in the business of making and designing playing cards.  You're in the business of getting eyeballs on your products and generating interest in them.  Beta videocassettes were the technically-superior product at the dawn of the home VCR age - but because Sony failed to market the format effectively, it crashed and burned in favor of the cheaper VHS cassette.  HD-DVD suffered the same fate when high-definition video discs came to the market place.  Don't be the next Beta or HD-DVD.

You only need a SMALL amount to get you over the hump.  Promote the crap out of this project, get on FB and make up a contest that stirs up attention, FAST.
I am one of those people you were talking about. Since the link to your Kickstarter is neither in your signature, in the first or last pages of this thread, nor in the most recent posts of your facebook page, it is kinda hard to find a link to it. Try making it more obvious and your chances of reaching your goal will greatly increase. Also don't forget that some people may have credit card failures after the project gets funded, so having a bit of leeway may be helpful. JMO :D

« Reply #224 on: March 31, 2012, 01:04:51 AM »

SeanWhelan

• Discourse Lover

Man am I glad I created that promotion. Without it that number to the right over here would not be where its at so thank you to all who increased their pledges and all of those who backed me on this project! Remember this promotion will end exactly at 12 Noon Eastern Time so those who pledge $4 extra will not be getting an extra deck.

After 12 noon, all pricing will be going back to normal. $9 per deck. So get the deal while its hot! Less then 12 hours to go with that promotion and only 4 days left! I believe its safe to say the project will be funded. So all those resellers who wanted to wait....now is your chance to pledge! Maybe 12k can be reached for metallic ink. You never know what will happen in 4 days!

Thank you again to everyone!