USPC Steampunk decks?

Author (Read 10033 times)

USPC Steampunk decks?
« on: January 13, 2012, 09:06:29 PM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
I just found this article on 52cartes:
http://52cartes.wordpress.com/2012/01/12/bicycle-steampunk-deck-infos-supplementaires/
The "generic" version they refer to seems to be a standard USPCC deck with steampunk backs. The faces have standard colors, the jokers have the USPC logo instead of the word "Joker" and thebox is a standard cardboard box without embossing.

The article says the "generic" version come swith a blank face card instead of the double backer, and the box has a seal on it.

It seems Pokestud52 is currently selling them.

Fake or just really stupid?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 09:07:42 PM by Moon.exe »
Grin like a Cheshire cat, and remember: we're all mad here.

Re: USPC Steampunk decks?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 09:14:36 PM »

danktrees

• Elite Member
im pretty sure it's real cuz i saw pics of the uspc deck back in november. uspc seems to produce some of the custom card orders they get. like guardians and propogandas...there's a t11 version and a uspc version. the uspc version usually has crappier tuck boxes. design is the same but the colours always look faded.

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 09:17:29 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Yeah I also read about this. It confused me a little.

I checked out Pokerstud's ebay store and it looks real. He has them there and for a good deal too!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/pokerstud52/m.html

There's the link to his store.
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 09:31:17 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Heres what poker stud52 says:

"These decks are slightly different from the version sold by Theory11. The tuck case on this version is not embossed, and the red ink and court cards are brighter. There are other minor differences, but the cards themselves otherwise appear to be identical in color, thickness and handling."

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 09:41:57 PM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
I think it is kind of stupid that these were made. Why not just have the T11 ones, these are just a more crappy version of T11s Steampunks.
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 01:01:41 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
im pretty sure it's real cuz i saw pics of the uspc deck back in november. uspc seems to produce some of the custom card orders they get. like guardians and propogandas...there's a t11 version and a uspc version. the uspc version usually has crappier tuck boxes. design is the same but the colours always look faded.

When did USPC release their own version of Propagandas?  Guardians I've seen; I have all three versions - two from T11, one from USPC.  I also noticed that BMPokerWorld recently got Propaganda back in stock at a mere $9.95 a deck.  T11 did say there was a Propaganda V2 coming out, but I haven't heard anything about it actually releasing yet, unless those BMPW decks are the new release...

I think it is kind of stupid that these were made. Why not just have the T11 ones, these are just a more crappy version of T11s Steampunks.

T11 decks will only be sold at T11 stores/retailers.  The USPC versions are intended for broader sale in more shops.  The USPC boxes are a little cheaper to produce, but the card stock and finish are all the same.  Just like the extra cards in the USPC Guardians deck were different from the ones in the T11 versions, the USPC Steam Punks have slight differences in the extras and jokers.  I fail to see the "crappier" part of all of this.  (And believe it or not, some people PREFER a non-embossed box because they use a Porper clip that would ruin the embossing anyway.)

Remember, it's not the box that matters - it's what's INSIDE.  The cards themselves, ace through king, spades, hearts, clubs and diamonds, are no different in either box.

T11 made a deal with USPC to make deck releases like this because I think USPC wants a somewhat larger share of the custom market than they're getting right now.  Most of the best custom decks are USPC-made, but for second parties, not for themselves.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 01:38:30 AM »

phantom1412

• Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

The T11 version is more expensive than the USPCC version.
So, I think it's just for a different group of prospective customers.
T11 is for a serious card collectors and magicians, while the USPCC version is for everyone..

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 01:51:04 AM »

Masque

• True Member
Unless you're a box magician, I'm thinking it's the cards that matter more.  You think you can't be a serious magician without a shiny box?

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 01:52:27 AM »

phantom1412

• Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Unless you're a box magician, I'm thinking it's the cards that matter more.  You think you can't be a serious magician without a shiny box?

The color of the cards are a little bit different. And I think the T11's shade is more elegant.

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 02:17:24 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

The color of the cards are a little bit different. And I think the T11's shade is more elegant.

That could be a trick of the light when the photos were taken - I'll let you know when I receive my USPC version sometime next week.

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2012, 02:37:48 AM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
Remember, it's not the box that matters - it's what's INSIDE.  The cards themselves, ace through king, spades, hearts, clubs and diamonds, are no different in either box.
The numbered code on the ace of spades, or the USPC logo on the jokers... That I can deal with. But the standard-colored court cards just look horrible if you compare them to the T11 colors imo, and don't suit the back design at all... And the darker red on the red cards is another major difference in terms of overall look.

I'd choose blue or black rider backs over those with an equal price/availability.
Grin like a Cheshire cat, and remember: we're all mad here.

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2012, 11:30:28 AM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:
I'm guessing these two versions is how T11 said this wasn't their deck back in November.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2012, 01:24:50 PM »

Lushbob

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:

Really? I'm sure I saw some comparison photos of them. The USPC versions have normal coloured court cards, whereas the theory11 version has the slightly more gold coloured ones. And I think the red pips are a little darker on the theory11 version, too.
But, as you said, I guess it's possible that it was a trick of the light, although I'm pretty sure it wasn't. But hey, once you open them up, we can know for sure!
"What have future generations ever done for us?" - Groucho Marx

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2012, 05:51:03 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Maybe the cards are slightly different in color.  As I see it, it's just offering more choices.  When is that ever bad?

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2012, 06:35:52 PM »

Derek

• Discourse Veteran
Court cards are definitely different...

You buy a Ferrari when you want to be someone. You buy a Lamborghini when you are someone. - Frank Sinatra

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2012, 07:16:47 PM »

Lushbob

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Yeah, thanks for the link, Derek911. That was the picture I had seen before.

Maybe the cards are slightly different in color.  As I see it, it's just offering more choices.  When is that ever bad?

Haha, I totally agree. While having to buy two decks is obviously less favourable than just needing to buy one (for a collection, this is), I quite enjoy the choice. And if I have some spare money, then I'll get both. Then I can choose which one to use whenever I please!
Also, while I know some people will disagree with this point, it seems nice to be able to say that I have both editions of the Steampunk deck, rather than just 'I have the Steampunk deck', if there was only the theory11 version. I'm not sure why this is, it just seems more fulfilling to be able to have both versions of a deck. Psychological, I guess...

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2012, 07:23:19 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Yeah, thanks for the link, Derek911. That was the picture I had seen before.

Haha, I totally agree. While having to buy two decks is obviously less favourable than just needing to buy one (for a collection, this is), I quite enjoy the choice. And if I have some spare money, then I'll get both. Then I can choose which one to use whenever I please!
Also, while I know some people will disagree with this point, it seems nice to be able to say that I have both editions of the Steampunk deck, rather than just 'I have the Steampunk deck', if there was only the theory11 version. I'm not sure why this is, it just seems more fulfilling to be able to have both versions of a deck. Psychological, I guess...

You never "have" to buy ANY deck!  You choose to!  I've never heard of anyone needing a deck of playing cards to cure cancer or being held at gunpoint and robbed of their Bicycle Rider Backs...

You're more of a "completist" collector - you want all the variants.  That's an expensive way to collect, but if it makes you happy and you don't go broke, more power to ya, bro!

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2012, 07:37:10 PM »

Lushbob

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
You never "have" to buy ANY deck!  You choose to!  I've never heard of anyone needing a deck of playing cards to cure cancer or being held at gunpoint and robbed of their Bicycle Rider Backs...

You're more of a "completist" collector - you want all the variants.  That's an expensive way to collect, but if it makes you happy and you don't go broke, more power to ya, bro!

Haha, of course I meant that in a loose sense of the word. Don't worry, no one's got me at gunpoint here. ;)
And to be honest, I think you'd call me a "stingy completist" collector. I enjoy having all the different editions of a deck, but only if it's cheap. For example, I don't really mind about getting either of the two Artifice v1 decks. I'll only get the other editions if I would consider them cheap no matter what deck they were (obviously, excluding standard decks here). For instance, I won't be getting a Red Artifice, because I ask myself "Would I pay $35+ for a deck of Steampunks/Artifice v2s/Infinity's?" I'm not explaining myself very well here, but I think you get the gist of what I mean; I like to get all the different editions of a deck, as long as they're cheap.

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2012, 07:38:28 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Basically its an uglier, simpler, and less expensive version?

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2012, 07:43:29 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Basically its an uglier, simpler, and less expensive version?

Some people like to have champagne dreams, but live on a beer budget.  For them, the cheaper deck is a good alternative.  Also, if you like the design but want a "bang-around" deck to use when performing, one that you don't mind as much if it gets handled by all of creation, the USPC deck is a good alternative.

I'll say it again - since when is more choice a bad thing?

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2012, 09:06:09 PM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
after reading the other comments I see why people would want the cheaper deck but I think the embossing was one of the nicest parts of the deck, also the court cards changed to regular bicycle kinda wreck it, they would have been good if they hadn`t changed the court cards.
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2012, 09:26:11 PM »

phantom1412

• Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

I'll say it again - since when is more choice a bad thing?

This sentences explain it all.
Just buy the T11 version and don't care about the existance of the USPCC version.
It's simple.

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2012, 12:05:20 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
after reading the other comments I see why people would want the cheaper deck but I think the embossing was one of the nicest parts of the deck, also the court cards changed to regular bicycle kinda wreck it, they would have been good if they hadn`t changed the court cards.

The embossing isn't on the DECK, it's on the BOX!  It's not a selling point of the cards, despite what T11 loves telling people!  Does it look cool?  You bet.  Does it affect performance, handling, shuffling, the ability to faro, etc.?  Not one freakin' bit.

(Funny side note: there's a toy museum that compiled a list of the favorite toys of all time.  The number one toy?  The box that the toys came in!)

I'm certain that using the USPC standard Bike faces was in some way cheaper, or they wouldn't have done it that way.  This looks like an effort to modify the model set with the Guardians - the USPC version was an exact copy, down to the ink, stock and finish, except for the deck box and the extra cards, and they sold for somewhat less than the T11 version.  I think this time they're trying to see just how much cheaper they can make the USPC version and raise their profit margin while keeping the price lower before people decide ordinary Bikes would be a better option.

Remember, a HUGE number of people buying the USPC version in whatever stores will be carrying it will have NO IDEA that a T11 version exists, never mind what it looks like and how it handles.  But knowing that, these will be selling in stores that likely carry Bikes as well, and they're going to cost less.  USPC wants to add value to the deck while at the same time making it as cheaply as they can, in hopes that people will recognize the added value over Bikes (or whatever dollar-brand that store may be carrying as well) and buy it instead of Bikes at a slightly higher cost.

In an economy like this, though, I think it's a bad idea.  In the '90s, when people all over were more flush with cash and had more disposable income, buying a premium product wasn't thought of as that big a deal - it was almost expected.  Now, people are losing jobs and counting pennies, and those dollar-store decks are looking a lot more attractive to some.  At the most, if they're more serious about playing poker (one of the most common purposes for buying new cards in the first place) with "real cards" that don't handle like crap, even if it is only a nickel-ante game, they'll buy the basic red and blue Bikes and that's it - perhaps even buying the dozen brick to economize, since per deck they cost usually under a buck-and-a-half.  Even a discounted premium product is still a premium product, and there are decks out there at an acceptable level of quality for less.

Here's a thought - do we yet know if the USPC Steam Punks use the same stock?  If I spot a difference when I get mine, I'll let you guys know.

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2012, 12:19:24 AM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
There isn't any embossing on the theory11 Steampunk deck. There is debossing BUT its not noticeable at all. Its as if its not there.

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2012, 12:48:17 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Debossing, embossing, yes-bossing - it's all Greek to me.  But yes, it's there, subtle though it may be, and it costs as much as a more noteworthy debossing job would, since in the end it's still debossing.  You can see in the photos of the USPC deck that there is a difference when compared to the T11 deck.  I certainly noticed it on the T11 deck, and I think anyone else opening it would figure it out sooner or later, once their fingers stroked the copper-esque box.