• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:

Re: Cork Card Clip
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 01:34:56 AM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Wow, they actually came out with another one. They've just come out with so many, they have the Black, White, Leather, Carbon, and now the Cork Card Clip. It appears like they will come out with Victorian and Cognac clip as well. what comes next?
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 01:58:29 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Cork has got to be one of the stupidest coverings for a deck clip that I've ever heard of.  How long do you think that cork will last under real world conditions, tossed in a pocket or in a bag?

I understand the desire to make the clips have a "shell" that's something other than cold, hard steel, but cork was a bad, bad choice.  Fabric would have been smarter, something really strong and heavily coated for durability.  Kevlar, burlap, canvas, denim...so many better choices than cork!

The only use I can think of for cork is that it floats.  Your cards will be a soggy mess, but your clip will still be bobbing along on the surface, ready for you to scoop up out of the drink!

Seriously - can you guys think of a good reason why anyone would want a cork covering on a deck clip?  Other than pinning up notes to it, of course...
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 08:22:09 AM »

K

• Discourse Veteran
  • Card for me maybe?
Cork has got to be one of the stupidest coverings for a deck clip that I've ever heard of.  How long do you think that cork will last under real world conditions, tossed in a pocket or in a bag?

I understand the desire to make the clips have a "shell" that's something other than cold, hard steel, but cork was a bad, bad choice.  Fabric would have been smarter, something really strong and heavily coated for durability.  Kevlar, burlap, canvas, denim...so many better choices than cork!

The only use I can think of for cork is that it floats.  Your cards will be a soggy mess, but your clip will still be bobbing along on the surface, ready for you to scoop up out of the drink!

Seriously - can you guys think of a good reason why anyone would want a cork covering on a deck clip?  Other than pinning up notes to it, of course...

he said it all... of all things, cork?
Stalking the forums, I'm in that corner!

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 10:33:36 AM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen
ya i really like the idea of leather and victorian .. but this release is quite weird

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 11:19:45 AM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Strange indeed. Other than for a collector on the shelf, that looks like uncoated plan cork. The edges of that would start to flake off in a pocket in like 2 minutes. Weirdness.
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 04:13:59 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
$45.

What.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 06:52:17 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
They're promoting is as a good match for the new US Reg. cards.  I'm not seeing it.  Perhaps covered with a nice wood shell, or even leatherette textured like tree bark.  But cork?  They must have been smoking cork when they came up with this one...

Is it just me, or do the Buck twins seem to be having a lot of misses and not many hits in retail lately?  I love their book selection; best I've spotted online so far.  But this?  The decks and accessories they're making themselves in recent months are really more like a bunt with a man on first than a home run...

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 08:13:11 PM »

Gunshy1

• Discourse Deity

• Twitter:
a bunt with a man on first will, in theory, put him into scoring position for the big bats in the line up. sooooo maybe they are releasing these non-highprofile items to keep things rolling while they prepare for a "big hitter". (v7's?)

p.s. i love baseball. people that say that its slow have adhd. have u watched football??? they take 30+ seconds between each play! talk about slow.
have you heard the word???

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 11:27:25 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
a bunt with a man on first will, in theory, put him into scoring position for the big bats in the line up. sooooo maybe they are releasing these non-highprofile items to keep things rolling while they prepare for a "big hitter". (v7's?)

p.s. i love baseball. people that say that its slow have adhd. have u watched football??? they take 30+ seconds between each play! talk about slow.

I don't really watch much of either sport, and if I'm going to, it will be at a stadium and not on TV.  Either way, we're getting off topic.

The point is, while most previous D&D products have been big hits - you could call them out-of-the-park grand slam homers - the most recent batch (after S&M v6) are not so much.  Perhaps an analogy to a weak hit straight to second with a man on first would have been better...  And with one man out already...  In the top of the ninth inning...  Several runs behind...  Do you see where I'm going with this now?
:))

(For those of you unfamiliar with baseball, that's bad - REALLY bad...)   ;)

Perhaps I exaggerate a little, but without a doubt they ain't home runs.  If they were, they'd be out of stock by now and selling for twice to four times the original retail price, just like S&M did in every release that I've ever seen (which is in the last year or so).  Last time I looked, David Blaine still has his red White Lions AIP bottle on sale, and I think there were only a hundred of those.  At least there, there's an excuse - they're bloody expensive.  But a deck of cards that sells for six or seven bucks is in a whole different league.  The AIP is the bigs, the majors, while a deck of cards is more like AA minor leagues.

(Again, for the baseball-impaired, that's two leagues down from the major leagues, the major leagues being the teams that compete for the World Series in America.  They're the farm teams that the majors recruit talent from - like the high school freshman compared to the college senior or the graduate student.)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 11:28:14 PM by Good@Sabacc »

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2012, 01:10:38 AM »

MrLukeCarroll

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
Looks a bit better then what I immediately thought when I first heard the words "Cork Card Clip" but I deffinetly dont think these is practical or worthy of the hefty price tag.
Mystery is the basic appeal of magic. Once the secrets are known, the magician becomes a mere manipulator, an actor in a suspense drama which has little impact because the audience knows the ending in advance.

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2012, 01:38:48 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I'm just waiting for the release of their new card clip models: macaroni and cheese, blancmange, rusty metal (complete with sharp edges!), mud, sand, water, hydrogen, earthworm, Komodo dragon, human skull, concrete, used carpeting, happiness, clouds, sugar and spice and Element X...

Why not?  I mean, they all make about as much sense as cork, right?   :o
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 01:40:16 AM by Good@Sabacc »

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2012, 01:47:21 AM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Dan & Dave Skin Clips: Made 100% from the dry shavings of the twins themselves.

Forum Founder.

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2012, 01:55:38 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Dan & Dave Skin Clips: Made 100% from the dry shavings of the twins themselves.

Well, at least the folks at PETA will have nothing to complain about on that one...   8)

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2012, 02:02:36 AM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
Just went and looked at these and they look TERRIBLE!! why would they think those are nice? The other clips look nice But Cork like wtf is up with D&D lately holy moley nothing they are putting out is super amazing.
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2012, 02:29:00 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Just went and looked at these and they look TERRIBLE!! why would they think those are nice? The other clips look nice But Cork like wtf is up with D&D lately holy moley nothing they are putting out is super amazing.

Dude, you're preaching to the choir on this one.

This is a quote from the page:

Cork: New to the line is the Cork Clip, a silver aluminum shell hand wrapped in real cork. It's a perfect compliment to our new Vintage Plaid playing cards too.

Am I the ONLY person who fails to see ANY connection between those decks and this clip?  They don't appear "complimentary" in any way, shape or form.  Aged cowhide leather, yes; fake leather, yes; a nice burled wood, big fat yes; even a faux-wood sticker would still be a yes.  Denim, yes; canvas, yes; I'd even go for plaid flannel!  But cork?  Not buying it.  Nope, there's no connection.  Perhaps if I was to put a deck in it to display on my desk at work, and use stick pins to post non-sticky notes to it...

I was willing to go for the hand lotion.  I saw uses for the expensive fingernail clip.  The hand exercisers are really a no-brainer for people who work with their hands, like magicians and cardists.  But a metal deck clip, meant to protect your cards from a harsh world while keeping them flat as the horizon on a calm, open sea, covered in a material that can easily be scraped off by accidental contact with practically anything?  A material that crumbles with just a small amount of pressure applied?

If the Buck brothers aren't slapping their foreheads Homer-style and saying "D'OH!", they should be...
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 02:30:32 AM by Good@Sabacc »

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2012, 02:31:15 AM »

Derek

• Discourse Veteran
I definitely agree. I feel like they wanted to use the cheapest materials possible and expected it to sell because they are selling it. I won't be buying this since there are easily 10 clips out there that are far better options!
You buy a Ferrari when you want to be someone. You buy a Lamborghini when you are someone. - Frank Sinatra

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2012, 02:36:22 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I definitely agree. I feel like they wanted to use the cheapest materials possible and expected it to sell because they are selling it. I won't be buying this since there are easily 10 clips out there that are far better options!

Even THEY sell better options!  I mean, carbon fiber?  Wicked cool (if bloody expensive).  Leather, in two colors?  Awesome.  Cork?  What the hell...  Plain, unfancified smooth metal beats cork with a stick until it says "uncle"...

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2012, 02:38:19 AM »

Derek

• Discourse Veteran

Even THEY sell better options!  I mean, carbon fiber?  Wicked cool (if bloody expensive).  Leather, in two colors?  Awesome.  Cork?  What the hell...  Plain, unfancified smooth metal beats cork with a stick until it says "uncle"...

Carbon fiber is epic. Cork... there's nothing made out of cork that ANYONE thinks is interesting or cool. You always want the cork OUT of a bottle to get the good stuff. And oh, you can have a sheet of cork board to pin important things TO. Can't wait for the cork deck  ???
You buy a Ferrari when you want to be someone. You buy a Lamborghini when you are someone. - Frank Sinatra

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2012, 02:43:34 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Carbon fiber is epic. Cork... there's nothing made out of cork that ANYONE thinks is interesting or cool. You always want the cork OUT of a bottle to get the good stuff. And oh, you can have a sheet of cork board to pin important things TO. Can't wait for the cork deck  ???

Not only is it waterproof, but it floats so you'll never lose a card to the briny deep!  You can even play solitaire and other favorite card games on the surface of the water!  (Except perhaps something where you slap the cards, like Spit or Slapjack...)

I'm thinking the cork supply is coming from between their ears!

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2012, 09:55:15 AM »

Lushbob

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Haha :P No doubt it is coming straight from between their ears. I mean, I can't even begin to understand the thinking behind it. It's just a terrible idea!
As you've all said before me, no way am I even going to consider picking one up.
"What have future generations ever done for us?" - Groucho Marx

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2012, 05:40:32 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
@derek911 a cork deck would be awesome! If they were able to make a deck of cork that doesn't crumble that is. It would float, look cool, and be unique. I'm not going to comment on the clip because it's a silly idea and everybody here has already posted a comment (or 10) letting us know they dont like it
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2012, 06:46:20 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
@derek911 a cork deck would be awesome! If they were able to make a deck of cork that doesn't crumble that is. It would float, look cool, and be unique. I'm not going to comment on the clip because it's a silly idea and everybody here has already posted a comment (or 10) letting us know they dont like it

I actually agree that if they had a cork deck clip with some durability to it that it would be kind of interesting.  But by their description and the photos, it's just garden-variety thin cork, nothing special about it.  Have you ever known cork to be all that strong and sturdy?

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2012, 06:57:30 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:

I actually agree that if they had a cork deck clip with some durability to it that it would be kind of interesting.  But by their description and the photos, it's just garden-variety thin cork, nothing special about it.  Have you ever known cork to be all that strong and sturdy?

I wasn't talking about the clip. I said cork deck.

Their clip has an aluminum shell so it's not just cork. It's obviously for looks and it should still do the job.
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2012, 07:06:49 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I wasn't talking about the clip. I said cork deck.

Their clip has an aluminum shell so it's not just cork. It's obviously for looks and it should still do the job.

I've seen plastic, I've seen magnetic, I've even seen "Colorforms" style cards that stick to a board by cohesion. Haven't seen cork yet, and they'd be a bitch to shuffle.  Perhaps a thin layer of cork surrounded by a plastic encasement could work, but those cards would be awfully thick.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 07:07:33 PM by Good@Sabacc »