You are Here:
Cork Card Clip

Author (Read 11141 times)

Re: Cork Card Clip
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2012, 02:35:08 AM »

Brandon.B

• Windows Live:

• YouTube:
The cork doesn't even look that aesthetic, none the less joyful. It kinda reminds me of my grandma's house. Also, I'm sure after a good six months or so, the cork will start to fall apart, leaving you with just the aluminum clip. Unless they reinforced that part, my hypothesis should hit the nail right on the head haha
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 02:38:18 AM by Brandon.B »

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2012, 11:05:19 AM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Here is what it says on the D&D site: "New to the line is the Cork Clip, a silver aluminum shell hand wrapped in real cork. It's a perfect compliment to our new Vintage Plaid playing cards too."

So it sounds like its aluminum and pure cork. Thats not going to be very good

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2012, 03:02:27 PM »

Robert Butler

:-\ Hello! 
 :o WTF

That sums it up... just WTF
let me draw a target and use it as a dart board because at this rate the clip will break down faster than the average Diavoli black deck. 

Dan & Dave Stick a cork in it  :'(

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2012, 03:24:39 PM »

AceGambit

• Discourse Lover
  • mundus vult decepi
D&D are going for the endangered products.  See their next deck is going to be the Panda deck, followed by the natural coal card clip to "compliment" it.

for those of you who didn't know, earth's natural supply of cork is running out.
They say the greatest trick the devil ever pulled, was convincing the world that he didn't exist.

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2012, 04:17:41 PM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
At least a Panda deck would have chances of actually looking good... ::)
Grin like a Cheshire cat, and remember: we're all mad here.

« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2012, 05:26:15 PM »

zaganh

• Discourse Deity
  • Hakuna matata feet up sippin java ^^

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
i asked they said this

Yes, it's normal cork. 1mm thin but strong nonetheless. I've been using mine for several months and it's still in great condition. Just a little wear on the edges is all.

Cheers,
Dan

« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2012, 05:33:04 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
i asked they said this

Yes, it's normal cork. 1mm thin but strong nonetheless. I've been using mine for several months and it's still in great condition. Just a little wear on the edges is all.

Cheers,
Dan

Well they aren't going to talk bad about their own products...
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2012, 05:34:44 PM »

zaganh

• Discourse Deity
  • Hakuna matata feet up sippin java ^^

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
but i trust that dan and dave wouldnt release a product that wasnt up to scratch

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2012, 05:36:23 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Yeah I see where youre coming from. I think it really just needs to go through some real world testing and then the debate will be settled.

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2012, 06:29:41 PM »

AceGambit

• Discourse Lover
  • mundus vult decepi
How can it go through real world testing if nobody wants to buy it.  Unfortunately that may cause this (potentially) awesome product not to take off.  In this capitolist world, you have to entice your consumers to purchase your product in order for them to promote it for you.

I personally do not care for the aesthetics of the clip, functionality and practicality aside, xo I won't be picking one up, but for anyone who actually likes the look of this, the lack of consumer experience will drive them away.
They say the greatest trick the devil ever pulled, was convincing the world that he didn't exist.

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2012, 07:15:24 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
How can it go through real world testing if nobody wants to buy it.  Unfortunately that may cause this (potentially) awesome product not to take off.  In this capitolist world, you have to entice your consumers to purchase your product in order for them to promote it for you.

I personally do not care for the aesthetics of the clip, functionality and practicality aside, xo I won't be picking one up, but for anyone who actually likes the look of this, the lack of consumer experience will drive them away.

I was just saying that when somebody does get one (they have to sell a couple) hopefully the will let the public know how it holds up. Maybe somebody who does review of magic products and accessories.

I agree with you that there isn't anything enticing about it. However we can talk back and forth about the clip until it is finally settled with cold hard facts.

« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2012, 09:05:00 PM »

K

• Discourse Veteran
  • Card for me maybe?
hmm, kinda tempted to get it because its unique.. who wanna sponsor me one?  ;D
Stalking the forums, I'm in that corner!

« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2012, 09:06:17 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Has anyone here bought one? Probably not because there aren't many posts saying they like it  ::)
Hopefully someone will buy it and post a review or something

« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2012, 09:53:46 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
I can't afford to spend $45 bucks on this but if it ever goes down in price or if they have a decent sale I will get one.

« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2012, 02:25:13 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I think regular Porper clips are expensive - there's no way I'm paying a premium for a layer of decorative cork.

If they think these clips are so great, they should get a few into the hands of reviewers and let them gush about the finer points of the product.

I'm just picturing in my mind what they'll look like the first time you accidentally scratch the cork against something harder than cork, like, oh, maybe PRACTICALLY ANY SOLID OBJECT!  When leather, denim or steel gets a worn, broken-in look, they look great - people pay a premium for the distressed look all the time.  But distressed cork?  The only thing that comes from distressing cork is a bunch of cork crumbs!

They should have opted for a denim covering, available in black, blue and acid-washed.  THAT would sell, big time, even at Dan & Dave prices!
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2012, 03:12:14 PM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
They should have opted for a denim covering, available in black, blue and acid-washed.  THAT would sell, big time, even at Dan & Dave prices!
I know I would love one! Or maybe other kinds of fabric as well for a greater choice of colors...
Grin like a Cheshire cat, and remember: we're all mad here.

« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2012, 09:08:32 PM »

Derek

• Discourse Veteran
I know I would love one! Or maybe other kinds of fabric as well for a greater choice of colors...

How about plaid fabric........... Lol, that would have sold nicely
You buy a Ferrari when you want to be someone. You buy a Lamborghini when you are someone. - Frank Sinatra

« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2012, 09:20:12 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I don't see how plaid and cork go together lol

« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2012, 09:38:44 PM »

Derek

• Discourse Veteran
I simply meant a fabric clip with plaid on it. Not cork and plaid lol
You buy a Ferrari when you want to be someone. You buy a Lamborghini when you are someone. - Frank Sinatra

« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2012, 09:39:25 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I know, I was talking about how D&D said they go together

« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2012, 09:47:06 PM »

Derek

• Discourse Veteran

Oh yeah, you're probably having a hard time figuring it out because they don't go together.  ???

« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2012, 11:25:46 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:

Yeah I agree! I don't see how those two match at all. I could see the cork deck going with the S&M V5 (maybe...) or something more plain like the Black Crown but the plaid deck is a harsh clash. Basic promoting I guess.

« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2012, 12:05:05 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Yeah I agree! I don't see how those two match at all. I could see the cork deck going with the S&M V5 (maybe...) or something more plain like the Black Crown but the plaid deck is a harsh clash. Basic promoting I guess.

Y'see, it's like this - someone from D&D Playing Cards went to the hobby shop, looking for something new to slap onto Porper Clips to make them more expensive by an order of magnitude.  They figured they'd done pretty well with leather, carbon fiber, etc. and wanted to see if they could maybe save a few bucks on the next one.  It was then that they stumbled upon the cork sheeting sale in the bargain corner...

"Hey," our friendly supplies buyer said, "it's cheap.  And CORK goes with EVERYTHING...  Look, it floats, it feels rough to the touch, it's nice and crumbly under just a little stress - it's PERFECT!  People will either go through these fast and want more, or realize they're delicate and about to become super-rare (because the other buyers destroyed theirs by just carrying them) and so treat them as fetish totems and encase them in museum glass, forever to sit on their shrine to the gods of playing cards, Dan and Dave!  Now I just need to calculate the massive markup...  OK, sales clerk!  Wrap these babies up, they're comin' home!"

OK, at this point, this horse has been flogged unto death, flayed of all its flesh, and we've stomped on the bones in steel boots.  Unless you're planning to suck out the marrow from the dirt-stained bone fragments, it might be a good time to wrap this topic up, or move it to the Lol-A-Query-Um...  There's only so many ways we can say "THIS PRODUCT WAS AN OVERPRICED TRAIN-WRECK OF AN IDEA" before it starts being nothing but spam.

Ciao, gang, see you on the next topic...

« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2012, 12:09:20 AM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
I'll probably end up getting on to go with my S&M v5 sometime. It won't be for a couple of months but if they still have them in stock (which it seems like they will form everybody's feedback). For now though I'm saving my money for some other upcoming decks. I have my doubts about this one but I won't make a firm judgement call until I've tried it myself or heard a review from a reputable source.

Trust me @sabacc everybody knows your opinion. You've FAR surpassed the nothing but spam mark. I'm pretty sure you've taught everybody that cork is crumbly multiple times.

« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2012, 01:13:03 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Trust me @sabacc everybody knows your opinion. You've FAR surpassed the nothing but spam mark. I'm pretty sure you've taught everybody that cork is crumbly multiple times.

It's why I thought it time to go.  It was fun to vent a bit, but yeah, I've been in those waters long enough to prune up...