You are Here:
It's a Date!

Author (Read 559 times)

It's a Date!
« on: June 05, 2024, 01:51:50 PM »

tobyedwards

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
I do not know if what follows qualifies as an original observation but, not remembering having seen it elsewhere lately, I thought I would post it here. Have you ever noticed that some brand numbers represent actual historic years? Here are 3 examples for your consideration.

The first example pertains to the USPC Texan # 45 brand which is referenced as US13 through US13c on page 94 in the Dawson/Hochman encyclopedia. Why was this number assigned to this brand? The answer is that Texas was admitted to the Union as the 28th state on December 29, 1845, therefore, the number 45 represents that significant year in it's history and, accordingly, you will notice that the brand number actually appears on the Ace of Spades shown below (1st photo) as No. '45 with the apostrophe before the number.

The second example pertains to The National Card Co.'s El Dorado # 49 brand which is referenced as NU17 on page 114 in the encyclopedia. Why was this number assigned to this brand? The answer is that "El Dorado" referred to a supposed city of gold that the Spanish explorers in the 16th century thought existed somewhere in South America and the year 1849 represented the peak year of the California Gold Rush, hence, the term "forty-niners" (No, not the NFL team). As an aside, there is also an El Dorado County in California which also played a part in the Gold Rush. On the beautiful wrapper shown below (2nd photo) we see the brand number as No. '49, again, with the apostrophe before the number and a wonderful display of U.S. gold coins in 3 denominations including the newly minted $20 gold piece or double eagle.

The third example pertains to The American Playing Card Co.'s Columbian # 92 brand which is referenced as L71 on page 41 in the encyclopedia.  Why was this number assigned to this brand? The answer is that the year 1892 represented the 400th anniversary of Christopher Columbus's arrival in the New World in 1492 and that dedication ceremonies for the World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago were held on October 21, 1892 although the fair did not open to the public until May of the following year. On the front of the original box shown below (3rd photo) we see the brand number as No. '92 with the apostrophe before the number around a central image of Columbus.

There may well be other decks with brand numbers that represent actual years and if I, or another collector, can locate them, they can be added to this post.