You are Here:
Another Steampunk deck!?!?

Author (Read 16139 times)

Re: Another Steampunk deck!?!?
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2012, 04:42:30 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
BTW, I did pre-order these!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 04:43:00 PM by NathanCanadas »

« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2012, 07:14:51 PM »

ReaganM

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
I agree that the playing card stock isnt the best, but itll take a few more pledges before I can upgrade it to a thicker paper stock and a better finish. The art is changing slowley for the better, as per my backers comments. Im interested in hearing your guys' opinions though. Also Im waiting on the samples from customizedplayingcards.com, if it turns out the cut is as bad as you guys say I have no problems switching.

The only way I can switch to uspcc however is if I get a pledge amount of around 5500$

So your complaints are of face card clutter, generall card stock quality, and the fact that its not exactly "steampunk"?
Also I dont know if youd give me this information but the reason why it has no "push" is because I dont know two thjings about marketing. I cant make a video either because I dont have the deck yet. Anyways other than social networking sites I stumped on how to market any advice on that would be great too..
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 07:17:28 PM by ReaganM »

« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2012, 08:33:11 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Why can't it be Air Cushion finish? Its not too expensive and works great!

« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2012, 10:54:44 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Well hopefully you can succeed with this deck and maybe work on another deck (via USPCC). Do you have any plans for another deck after this?
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2012, 04:46:02 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I agree that the playing card stock isnt the best, but itll take a few more pledges before I can upgrade it to a thicker paper stock and a better finish. The art is changing slowley for the better, as per my backers comments. Im interested in hearing your guys' opinions though. Also Im waiting on the samples from customizedplayingcards.com, if it turns out the cut is as bad as you guys say I have no problems switching.

The only way I can switch to uspcc however is if I get a pledge amount of around 5500$

So your complaints are of face card clutter, generall card stock quality, and the fact that its not exactly "steampunk"?
Also I dont know if youd give me this information but the reason why it has no "push" is because I dont know two thjings about marketing. I cant make a video either because I dont have the deck yet. Anyways other than social networking sites I stumped on how to market any advice on that would be great too..

No one wishes you bad luck in any way.  I'm with Alex in that there were issues with the print quality and design aspects of the deck.  As far as a "consensus", you're only hearing from those few of us interested in writing about the deck online - in other words, the minority.  For all I know, your deck could be the most beloved thing to 90% of the members on this Discourse, but if they say nothing, nobody knows.  I did notice a different deck back which was an improvement over the last one, but the whole "missing the theme" thing is still there.

This starts to scratch the surface:
http://www.steampunk.com/what-is-steampunk/

This goes into greater depth:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steampunk

Consider this: why are the gears and practically everything else in your deck covered in rust?  It reminds me of anachronistic depictions of the "Wild West" frontier town - it's supposed to have been built only recently, and yet looks like it's been standing for a hundred years or more.  Who on earth would build a new town out of ancient planks?  But they're often depicted that way because that how modern society over a century after the Wild West time period views those "ghost towns" - largely because that's what they look like today, not what they looked like back then.

What Victorian scientist would tolerate having rusted gears in his devices and inventions?  They'd be polished steel and brass!  Unless you're depicting what the Victorian era looks like from the 21st century, in which case, yeah, it would be rusted, but where's your theme then?

You need not ape Lance Miller's Actuators to make a steampunk design.  Use gears, polished and new, and blasts of steam escaping from pressure valves, and various belt and chain drives - use those things you'd expect to see from that era.  Not saying you are, but still.  And forget the USPC/T11 Steam Punk deck.  It's cute, but that's about it - it's not really steampunk.

By the way, cogs as jewelry is NOT something that would be thought of as steampunk in the sense that no Victorian character would wear them.  They'd wear cameos, pocketwatches, monocles, pince-nez, gems with pearls - all those things we associate with the Victorian era/Wild West today.  Now your mad scientist types would have some more complex hardware, like glasses with interchangeable lenses on hinges, heavy leather gloves, googles, a pocketwatch capable of predicting weather, things along those lines.  Some of those might filter to the hoi polloi, but most people wouldn't be carrying them.  Military officers might have complex prostheses to replace lost arms, legs, ears, what have you.  The cogs-as-jewelry thing is a modern take on steampunk, just like century-old towns are a modern take on the Old West.

A few final notes: so you're aiming for more funds in order to increase the quality of the deck, and you're refining the deck's design elements to respond to the suggestions of your backers.  This is good.  But don't forget to take into account the IRS - they'll take money off the top before you see a dollar, and suddenly those dreamed-of upgrades are out the window.  The associated fees imposed by the government, the manufacturer and other sources can cripple a project, and the smaller the budget you're working with, the less it takes financially to see it totally derailed.

Granted, this is your first project, but I suggest next time that you go big - make the project USPC-bound from the start.  It would attract more buyers/investors.  We have guys in this forum who only collect USPC decks, and some limit themselves to only the Bicycle brand.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2012, 10:30:51 AM »

VortexHead

• Discourse Veteran
Too many steampunk themed decks, I won't be pledging on these. I bought lance Miller's decks and I bought one of the theory11 steampunk decks but I won't be buying anymore. It's always nice to see what people are producing though but as so many decks are available it means more choice and the more I'll be careful with what I buy.
UC

« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2012, 10:47:49 AM »

phantom1412

• Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Just want to say that your deck will definitely get more backer if you use the USPCC to print.
I'm one of the people who don't back the project which is not USPCC decks.

« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2012, 11:09:59 AM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Well congratulations on having the deck funded :)

« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2012, 03:40:54 PM »

ReaganM

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Hmmm.... I would like to follow your suggestions on my steampunk deck, however, its a little to late now, If I suddenly changed all my designs Id lose a good chunk of my backers, but good ideas nonetheless. About the only thing I can do is add steampunky things to the characters, and change the back.

Ive had Ideas for decks after this, and I might act on some, however I will probably try and get one of my boardgames funded before I do any cards.
Ok and about making them more "steamunky" what do you guys think about this?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 12:08:10 AM by ReaganM »

« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2012, 02:31:35 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Hmmm.... I would like to follow your suggestions on my steampunk deck, however, its a little to late now, If I suddenly changed all my designs Id lose a good chunk of my backers, but good ideas nonetheless. About the only thing I can do is add steampunky things to the characters, and change the back.

Ive had Ideas for decks after this, and I might act on some, however I will probably try and get one of my boardgames funded before I do any cards.
Ok and about making them more "steamunky" what do you guys think about this?

Well, Joker characters don't have to conform - they can be a bit whackier and fit the theme fine.  If you put something like this forward for a face character, I'd ask that you have your head examined!

What about a clockwork boy, a la "Hugo"?  I haven't seen that yet in any steampunk deck...

« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2012, 01:04:12 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
That joker is awesome man! If all of the cards were more "steampunky" I might have bought it.

« Reply #61 on: February 05, 2012, 03:52:11 PM »

ReaganM

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Well the "jack" has a monocle lol, oh and all the face cards are now on display on my project page. I made the backgrounds of the black face cards a bit lighter as well.

« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2012, 12:35:25 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Well the "jack" has a monocle lol, oh and all the face cards are now on display on my project page. I made the backgrounds of the black face cards a bit lighter as well.

On the topic of backgrounds: why a bunch of dirty, rusty gears?  Why not something more like a natural setting for steampunk - London under clouds of soot, Kansas City as a boomtown, the wharfs of San Francisco, a major city in Imperial Germany, Paris at the edge of the polluted Seine River, the deck of a dirigible, a scientist's lab, someone operating a steam-driven Difference Engine, a decked-out luxury car on a steam-driven train, the palace of a King or Queen...

« Reply #63 on: February 06, 2012, 12:47:41 AM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
Ok maybe the quality is bad and the theme is off but I must say that those court cards are beautiful. I really like them and I think they look awesome! I really like how realistic they look unlike traitional court cards used on most decks. :)  I would like to pledge for a deck, but $9 plus $7 for itnt shipping is a little too much for my budget right now for this deck :(
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 12:49:32 AM by Aaron »
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #64 on: February 06, 2012, 04:17:21 PM »

ReaganM

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
About the backgrounds, its mostly my fault, I just like for some reason really depressing dark even gothic art, im pretty sure it translated into the art, but my backers seem to like it so itll take a lot of persuading to change it. I know its not exactly steampunk, but people like it.
And about the quality of the cards, I got the samples from the company, and the cut, at least to my eye is extremely precise. Also if get $6000 I can upgrade to a KEM quality plastic card, which is the highest quality, when it comes to durability ( some people dont like the "feel" ive never understood this ).

Also Aaron, how much would you be willing to pledge for a deck? maybe we can work something out (*rubs greesy palms*)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 04:19:13 PM by ReaganM »

« Reply #65 on: February 07, 2012, 12:42:30 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
About the backgrounds, its mostly my fault, I just like for some reason really depressing dark even gothic art, im pretty sure it translated into the art, but my backers seem to like it so itll take a lot of persuading to change it. I know its not exactly steampunk, but people like it.
And about the quality of the cards, I got the samples from the company, and the cut, at least to my eye is extremely precise. Also if get $6000 I can upgrade to a KEM quality plastic card, which is the highest quality, when it comes to durability ( some people dont like the "feel" ive never understood this ).

Also Aaron, how much would you be willing to pledge for a deck? maybe we can work something out (*rubs greesy palms*)

KEM in the pre-USPC days was considered very good.  KEM as a USPC brand, according to many poker players who use plastic cards, isn't what it used to be.  Piatnik, Copag and others are beating KEM these days in that aspect.  It's kinda of funny, because Copag I believe is YET ANOTHER USPC brand now, but just like Fournier, they're allowed to operate independently and make their own products.  But Jarden will keep KEM alive because of the name-brand recognition - they're practically banking on it.

Anyway, did you get samples of the plastic deck?  Are you aware that, in most plastic decks, the colors are a bit more faded than on a paper card?  Take a dark design like yours and make it faded, it might end up looking like a dirty dishrag.

Since you tend to go for Gothic and "faux steampunk", why not simply call your deck "Gothpunk"?  You get a good deal more leeway with creative license there, and it really is a better description of what you're making.  (I was actually on the fringes of the Goth scene in the late '80s/early '90s - I deejayed at a small public alt-rock station that played some Goth and hung out at alt-rock nightclubs that did the same...)

« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2012, 11:20:27 PM »

ReaganM

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

KEM in the pre-USPC days was considered very good.  KEM as a USPC brand, according to many poker players who use plastic cards, isn't what it used to be.  Piatnik, Copag and others are beating KEM these days in that aspect.  It's kinda of funny, because Copag I believe is YET ANOTHER USPC brand now, but just like Fournier, they're allowed to operate independently and make their own products.  But Jarden will keep KEM alive because of the name-brand recognition - they're practically banking on it.

Anyway, did you get samples of the plastic deck?  Are you aware that, in most plastic decks, the colors are a bit more faded than on a paper card?  Take a dark design like yours and make it faded, it might end up looking like a dirty dishrag.

Since you tend to go for Gothic and "faux steampunk", why not simply call your deck "Gothpunk"?  You get a good deal more leeway with creative license there, and it really is a better description of what you're making.  (I was actually on the fringes of the Goth scene in the late '80s/early '90s - I deejayed at a small public alt-rock station that played some Goth and hung out at alt-rock nightclubs that did the same...)
Yeah I got the samples for the KEM cards, and I was pretty dissatisfied with the print of the cards, there were white specks everywhere, especialy around the edges so I pulled it from my project because we wont be upgrading to them anymore. I was thikning of calling it the "cog" deck and then maybe people would be less offended by it lol.

« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2012, 04:00:19 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Yeah I got the samples for the KEM cards, and I was pretty dissatisfied with the print of the cards, there were white specks everywhere, especialy around the edges so I pulled it from my project because we wont be upgrading to them anymore. I was thikning of calling it the "cog" deck and then maybe people would be less offended by it lol.

The Cog deck is a pretty good name - it aptly describes the design, and then you can decorate everyone and everything with cogs and it fits!

Here's some good synonyms you might think are better:

cogwheel, gear, gearwheel, pinion, ragwheel, sprocket, spurwheel

Think of it:  "The Cog and Sprocket Deck" - "Cogwheel and Gear, Ltd."  Smythe & White Cogs and Ragwheels"

You have a lot of ways to play with that title concept.

« Reply #68 on: February 08, 2012, 01:54:34 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
@Reagan - I backed these, and I was wondering if they were faro-able at all. Also, with the white/black border issue, are the potentially white borders grayish, or completely white?
Thank you,
Nathan

« Reply #69 on: February 08, 2012, 09:06:02 PM »

ReaganM

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
@Reagan - I backed these, and I was wondering if they were faro-able at all. Also, with the white/black border issue, are the potentially white borders grayish, or completely white?
Thank you,
Nathan
Yes the white borders are grey, sorry for the confusing title. On the topic of faro-able, do you mean the game "faro"? I havnt played the game before, but from what I can tell it should. But about all the knowledge I have on the game is that you need a 52 ard deck.

« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2012, 09:07:51 PM »

ReaganM

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
hmm I quite like these Ideas Ill see if the backers agree with the title change, It shouldnt matter to them and I should catch less flak from non investers. "The cog and sprocket deck" I like the sound of this.

« Reply #71 on: February 08, 2012, 09:27:29 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Thank you,
Nathan
Yes the white borders are grey, sorry for the confusing title. On the topic of faro-able, do you mean the game "faro"? I havnt played the game before, but from what I can tell it should. But about all the knowledge I have on the game is that you need a 52 ard deck.
He means do the cards faro....
Check out this video if you don't know what that means: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAm6KZDLwug

« Reply #72 on: February 09, 2012, 12:38:15 AM »

ReaganM

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
ah ok, well I tried to faro shuffle for a while and i couldnt do it of course ive never done it before. The only thing I can tell you is that from the samples I got, the edges are pretty smooth, and are cut nicely. But in short i have no idea.

« Reply #73 on: February 09, 2012, 04:01:52 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
ah ok, well I tried to faro shuffle for a while and i couldnt do it of course ive never done it before. The only thing I can tell you is that from the samples I got, the edges are pretty smooth, and are cut nicely. But in short i have no idea.
Well, I guess it is hard for you to tell if you don't know how to faro lol, so, do they clump together?
Also, I think Don's idea for a background was great. Too bad you cant change that now.

@Don - About what you said regarding the polluted Seine river, just FYI, it isn't THAT polluted: it is less polluted than the San Francisco Bay, the Mississippi River etc.

« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2012, 04:23:21 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Can you post a pic of how the cards fan?