You are Here:
Vintage Collection

Author (Read 38944 times)

Re: Vintage Collection
« Reply #100 on: February 08, 2012, 04:12:11 PM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
Ah I'm still looking to get a set of those OF decks. Wish I had connections in Japan to get them inexpensively :(

« Reply #101 on: February 08, 2012, 04:14:53 PM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
You can open any vintage deck you get. Why not? At least I opened GNs with different colors and some other tax stamp decks. Actually I maintain a blog to share experiences with my fellow collectors here, every time I opened a vintage deck I also took pics to show the full process (of how I killed a deck). I believe most vintage collectors buy modern decks too, there is no conflict between collecting vintage decks and using modern decks.  ;)

You open tax stamp decks?! o.O
Show me the link to your blog, I wanna see!

I'm not sure if most vintage collectors buy contemporary decks, but I do. I'm collecting Bicycle branded cards, and hence the Leaf, Stag and Lotus back (there're a few more!).

« Reply #102 on: February 08, 2012, 04:16:36 PM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
The funny thing is that I feel the same way as Don. If I buy a deck, it is for 1 of 3 reasons:
either:
1) Opening it right away and using it
2) Reselling it once it is worth more
3) Keeping it sealed and opening it later on.

Hopefully, since I am not into collecting vintage decks, I can buy about 10 new decks for the price of a vintage one.

You see, if you look at it this way, you would be into collecting vintage decks too. As the year goes by, the value of these vintage decks increases, and they'll worth more. Maybe when you're not into it anymore, you'll resell and gain profit!

« Reply #103 on: February 08, 2012, 04:27:55 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Those Orignal Fake decks are awesome!! Such an expensive set. One day I'll own a set of them!  >:(
@brown_baggs, not expensive at all, really, or I would not buy so many. I can not get them with the same price any more, but... I swear they were not expensive when I got them from a Japanese friend. (sorry I can not say the price here for certain reasons...)

You guys should know the price of these decks is manipulated by the clothing sellers. They sell these decks for such a high price on auctions, but actually these decks are valueless between the clothing sellers...

_

well I was saying they are expensive on ebay and stuff. It's hard to find them for cheap. I really want to get a set! If you have a set of all the colors I would be more than interested in a trade or buying them from you!! Just let me know in a PM, thanks!

and sxjy0109 try to make one long post instead of 4 individual ones, it makes it the thread a little cluttered. Thanks
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #104 on: February 08, 2012, 04:55:11 PM »

digipunk

• Discourse Deity
The funny thing is that I feel the same way as Don. If I buy a deck, it is for 1 of 3 reasons:
either:
1) Opening it right away and using it
2) Reselling it once it is worth more
3) Keeping it sealed and opening it later on.
Hopefully, since I am not into collecting vintage decks, I can buy about 10 new decks for the price of a vintage one.

You see, if you look at it this way, you would be into collecting vintage decks too. As the year goes by, the value of these vintage decks increases, and they'll worth more. Maybe when you're not into it anymore, you'll resell and gain profit!

No. I always tell friends: "don't collect vintage decks, they are too dangerous."

Believe it or not, 2 years ago I thought the same as NathanCanadas until I got a Golden Nugget for curiosity. I can not control myself from then on. My dear friends, stay away from those vintage decks as far as possible. Once you start, you can not stop.

@sxjy0109: Leaf Back, Stag Back, and Lotus Back, will your next deck happen to be an Acorn Back?

@brown_baggs: Sorry. I can not sell these decks, nor can I get them with the same price. One year ago, when I got the 9 decks, I opened one to use (apparently you know which color I opened from the pic). However, 2 months ago, I sold the spare RED+BLUE to jmrock and the PINK to a collector in Brazil. So now I have only an opened RED and a full set that are reserved to myself.

_
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 05:28:52 PM by digipunk »

« Reply #105 on: February 08, 2012, 04:58:03 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Ah! Bummer I guess I'll just have to wait to find a good deal on the set or just collect them one by one. All in good time  :)

« Reply #106 on: February 08, 2012, 05:35:55 PM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
No. I always tell friends: "don't collect vintage decks, they are too dangerous."

Believe it or not, 2 years ago I thought the same as NathanCanadas until I got a Golden Nugget for curiosity. I can not control myself from then on. My dear friends, stay away from those vintage decks as far as possible. Once you start, you can not stop.

@sxjy0109: Leaf Back, Stag Back, and Lotus Back, will your next deck happen to be an Acorn Back?

I get what you mean. I've been doing searches on eBay every other day to see if there're any vintage decks on auction.

How did you know? Must have been a wild, lucky guess. I'm going to post a different deck just because you said that. lol  :-[

« Reply #107 on: February 08, 2012, 06:34:25 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
@Digipunk does the Original Fake deck have custom court cards? This has been one question that has always bothered me but I've never been able to find pictures of the court cards before.

« Reply #108 on: February 08, 2012, 06:57:24 PM »

digipunk

• Discourse Deity
@Digipunk does the Original Fake deck have custom court cards? This has been one question that has always bothered me but I've never been able to find pictures of the court cards before.
Good question. Unfortunately they don't have custom court cards. There are 1 regular joker, 2 custom jokers, and 1 blank face gaff. These cards were not made with quality stock, handled just like 808 produced by the KY factory in their first year, soft and thin. They can not fan well due to the coating, but no problem with faro or other magic sleights.

Ahh... I used the blank face card to make a double backer :o

_
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 07:02:40 PM by digipunk »

« Reply #109 on: February 08, 2012, 07:19:52 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
Wow. Those are some nice cards! How much do they cost?

« Reply #110 on: February 08, 2012, 09:38:57 PM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
@ Digi... Thanks for the Red & Blue... The others I picked up from a seller overseas - $300 in the U.S. for the set is unacceptable... They're great decks... The OriginalFake stuff is priced high, but if you like a decks... Take the hit... Time will heal your pockets... It always does...

« Reply #111 on: February 08, 2012, 11:23:58 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
That's too bad! It would have been awesome to see some Kaws faces on those court cards! Such a talented artist and it would have made for such a great deck!

@jmrock yeah $300 is insane for the set. I'm still hunting for a good deal on these...

« Reply #112 on: February 09, 2012, 05:31:20 AM »

digipunk

• Discourse Deity
That's too bad! It would have been awesome to see some Kaws faces on those court cards! Such a talented artist and it would have made for such a great deck!
Yes, but it is comprehensible. We all know they were gifts with each purchase in excess of ¥10,000 JPY at OriginalFake Aoyama, not designed for performers or collectors.

« Reply #113 on: February 09, 2012, 02:28:45 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Yes, but it is comprehensible. We all know they were gifts with each purchase in excess of ¥10,000 JPY at OriginalFake Aoyama, not designed for performers or collectors.

That's true although Kaws is the type of artists to throw those faces in there, so I was surprised that he didn't on the deck. It's still a very nice looking deck nonetheless. The jokers look awesome!

« Reply #114 on: February 09, 2012, 04:09:57 PM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
What's more is that I think all 5 decks are the same within. And by that I mean the colours too. You'd think each deck would have the corresponding coloured backs, but no. They're all red.

« Reply #115 on: February 09, 2012, 04:13:23 PM »

digipunk

• Discourse Deity
@sxjy0109, Acorn Back!! Show us the Acorn Back! How could you sit there watching people talking about the Original Fake?  >:(

@brown_bagg, here are more pic I took 4 months ago. I posted them on the blog and added a note above every pic: "inexplicablely expensive!"  :P

« Reply #116 on: February 09, 2012, 04:18:18 PM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
As per @digipunk's request:

« Reply #117 on: February 09, 2012, 04:23:19 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
"Inexplicably expensive". Well said, totally represents the way I feel about the Original Fakes. How old is that Acorn Back? Do you know? And how much does it cost?

« Reply #118 on: February 09, 2012, 04:25:37 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
What's more is that I think all 5 decks are the same within. And by that I mean the colours too. You'd think each deck would have the corresponding coloured backs, but no. They're all red.
I respect any one's choice to buy these decks, but here is my opinion. Wait, so these decks cost more than 50$ apiece, and all look the same except for the box? So, if they also don't have custom court cards, then what are you paying for? A little additional guy on a normal bicycle back and a box? Wow. What people these days would do to get more money... and then amazing decks like the Tendril and Vortex and Americana decks cost about 9$, with all the time their creators spent in making them? Unbelievable in my opinion.

« Reply #119 on: February 09, 2012, 04:32:45 PM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
It's either 1924 or 1925. As for the cost, it's hard to estimate the market value of vintage decks. Sometimes you could find good deals of $30 a deck, sometimes they go over the hundred.

« Reply #120 on: February 09, 2012, 04:49:18 PM »

digipunk

• Discourse Deity
@sxjy0109, I like Acorn Back much, it's so elegant. I think it's 1922-25 according to the tax stamp and the company name on the AoS. :)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 04:51:28 PM by digipunk »

« Reply #121 on: February 09, 2012, 05:41:18 PM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Wow... What a deck... $30 my @$$!!! That's a heavy $ deck!!! Complete with Jokers?

« Reply #122 on: February 10, 2012, 04:50:43 AM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
The acorn deck is pretty nice looking!! I love the look of many of these vintage decks.

The OF decks are all the same color but in different boxes!!  ??? I had no idea about that. That's a game changer haha. I'll probably just aim to get two red boxes then. What the point in getting the whole set if they are all the same!? Ridiculous...

Thanks for the information though, it's really enlightening.

« Reply #123 on: February 10, 2012, 06:51:55 AM »

digipunk

• Discourse Deity
The OF decks are all the same color but in different boxes!!  ??? I had no idea about that.
They have five different colors.

« Reply #124 on: February 10, 2012, 10:12:28 AM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

Is that true?  You mean to tell me that the Black Box OriginalFakes do not contain cards with black backs... Yellow / Yellow... etc...? Does anyone know the truth?  There seems to be conflicting information, and I'm not about to open my set to find out if there are five different colors...