You are Here:
Card Throwing?

Author (Read 3785 times)

Card Throwing?
« on: February 05, 2012, 10:32:58 AM »

hazofhorsham

• Discourse Veteran
If you do, how do you throw playing cards?
Some Men just want to watch the world burn.

Re: Card Throwing?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 10:54:41 AM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen
split spades white lion has a card that teaches you how to throw a card

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 10:57:00 AM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:
It's hard to describe in text, but I will try. Get a new card without any bends, and place it between your middle and index finger. Bend your wrist inward, and slightly curl your fingers in. Now snap your wrist forward, and as your fingers are pointing directly away from you, loosen up your fingers and let momentum do the rest. Make sure the card is flat, and not bent or else the cards will just flutter away from you. It takes some practice, and it will ruin your cards, so don't use any prized and valuable decks.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 10:58:45 AM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
  • "Why go through the world unnoticed?" -

• YouTube:
Yes I know how to throw cards. But I can't slice any shit with them though. :P You need to be epic on order to do that Ahahaha! Is LDS considered card throwing or just card flicking?

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 12:24:08 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
It depends what kind of throwing you are doing. Are you just throwing one card alone in one hand, or are you launching a card from the decks. Different styles have different methods, but I'm assuming that the way that you are talking about is just holding it alone in your hand in between two fingers. You'd want to hold the card vertical, and just launch your hand forward. Adjust your angle and power to receive the desired target. It'll take practice like everything else, but eventually you'll get it. It's actually pretty cool when you get it down, just remember not to slit anyone's throat with it.
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 02:29:13 PM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
I managed to crack a Death Head (100% plastic card) throwing at the wall.  Can't do it every time and it kills my wrist, I've got really bad technique.

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 03:40:35 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
i just put a a card in between my index and 2nd finger and bend them and then flick, nice to toss it up and catch it and back up and etc.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 05:35:10 PM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
i just put a a card in between my index and 2nd finger and bend them and then flick, nice to toss it up and catch it and back up and etc.

Index and 2nd finger is the same thing... :o

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 05:37:45 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:

I think he was referring to his middle finger as his second finger.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2012, 09:24:18 PM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer

I think he was referring to his middle finger as his second finger.

Probably. Otherwise I'd assume he lost his thumb ><

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 02:39:48 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Here's a card you can throw and do some real damage with - to both the target and your wrist...

http://shop.dananddave.com/originals/ace-bottle-opener.html

I'm stunned that I'm the first person to mention it...  :))
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 02:36:47 PM »

hazofhorsham

• Discourse Veteran
Oh thanks for the help, but I probably should have been clearer - I know how to throw cards, its just I wondered what techniques you guys prefer. Recently ive started holding the card pinched between thumb and index finger, then place my middle finger along the side of the card, when ready, I flick my middle finger out. Minimal effort and decent throw :)
Some Men just want to watch the world burn.

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 02:59:52 PM »

Reylek

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Cards as Weapons by Ricky Jay is an interesting book on card throwing.  It's out of print, so expect to pay quite a chunk of change for it if you can find a copy.  It has a comedic angle, but it will teach you to throw cards.  I had a copy for a few years while in high school/college, but eventually sold it.

Xtreme Beginnerz 2 has a section on card throwing with Rick Smith Jr.  This is a much more affordable choice.

With decent technique and a lot of practice, you'll find that throwing for speed, distance, and accuracy is not terribly difficult.  You'll only get better with time.
Kevin
Production Manager
www.penguinmagic.com

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 03:10:55 PM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
I hold it between the middle and ring finger.  Not great for range but very good for power, I've found.

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2012, 03:16:05 PM »

Derek

• Discourse Veteran
I didn't read all the responses, but reading text just doesn't help in this case.

Watch this video, he's the world's best - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gt8PS6cirDo

It shows slomo how he does it etc. I can throw a card about 140-150 feet, cut bananas, celery, carrots, cucumbers etc. I've only been doing it for a little while it but helps that I was a pitcher. My friend is attempting to break the world record soon for over 216 feet.
You buy a Ferrari when you want to be someone. You buy a Lamborghini when you are someone. - Frank Sinatra

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2012, 03:28:21 PM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
I didn't read all the responses, but reading text just doesn't help in this case.

Watch this video, he's the world's best - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gt8PS6cirDo

It shows slomo how he does it etc. I can throw a card about 140-150 feet, cut bananas, celery, carrots, cucumbers etc. I've only been doing it for a little while it but helps that I was a pitcher. My friend is attempting to break the world record soon for over 216 feet.

Well, he's the record breaker. I wouldn't necessarily say the best - force and speed don't make precision. See how he missed the sausage a couple times? :P

I know Ricky Jay wrote a book on card throwing, but I have no idea how good it is.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 03:29:33 PM by Moon.exe »
Grin like a Cheshire cat, and remember: we're all mad here.

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2012, 03:31:14 PM »

Derek

• Discourse Veteran

Well, he's the record breaker. I wouldn't necessarily say the best - force and speed don't make precision. See how he missed the sausage a couple times? :P

I know Ricky Jay wrote a book on card throwing, but I have no idea how good it is.

Haha, sorry. I should have said he has two world records for card throwing.. but apparently not the best in the world  ???
You buy a Ferrari when you want to be someone. You buy a Lamborghini when you are someone. - Frank Sinatra

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2012, 03:44:07 PM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
Grin like a Cheshire cat, and remember: we're all mad here.

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2012, 03:49:26 PM »

Derek

• Discourse Veteran
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVq0HdiM-Ok
Enjoy :P

I've seen that video and I can do about 95% of what did with a playing card... which has rounded edges while his cards are sharp on the edges..  ;)

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2012, 03:50:29 PM »

Derek

• Discourse Veteran
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVq0HdiM-Ok
Enjoy :P

I've seen that video and I can do about 95% of what did with a playing card... which has rounded edges while his cards are sharp on the edges..  ;)

Also, it's not like he's all that accurate either. It took him countless tries to film that video. You can see the cards scattered all over at points. If you give me enough tries i'll do most of that with playing cards.

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2012, 04:50:50 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
I haven't practiced card throwing in a long time! I remember years ago I would throw cards at a big chunk of styrofoam (because they stick better that way). I ended up getting skilled enough I could get a card to stick in drywall!
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2012, 06:54:12 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:

index is the 1st finger, your thumb is not a finger  :-X
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2013, 10:11:42 PM »

John Spade

• Forum Regular

• Facebook:
I've developed my own method that involves "flicking" 2 of your fingers together to send the card flying (sort of similar to Flic off of the Andthensome DVD). I call it Gambit 8)