You are Here:
Burn Card

Author (Read 2487 times)

Burn Card
« on: February 06, 2012, 03:06:55 AM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
Maybe some of you have already heard of this, it's a new company called Burn Card, established last year that sells playing card-themed T-shirts. Each of their T-shirts are packed within a distinctively designed jumbo-sized playing card tuckbox. They're based in the UK, but ships worldwide. Prices are reasonable, and on-sale items are actually quite cheap I'd say!

Here's their site, take a look!

http://burncardclothing.com/

(I'm not sure if this belongs to this board, but it is playing card themed... ::) Apologies if this should be posted on other boards.)

Re: Burn Card
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 03:08:58 AM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
That's cool I've never heard of them! The packaging is awesome. Putting it into a giant card box before shipping... genius! Thanks for the link/info.

Although I would put this in the talk park forum haha
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 04:23:29 AM »

digipunk

• Discourse Deity
Wow.. I was fooled but it is so interesting.

BTW, guys did you ever see this?
http://love.youthwant.com.tw/11/pre_readz.php?stud_id=100123572&bid=110707083809z10Y

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 05:05:55 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Maybe some of you have already heard of this, it's a new company called Burn Card, established last year that sells playing card-themed T-shirts. Each of their T-shirts are packed within a distinctively designed jumbo-sized playing card tuckbox. They're based in the UK, but ships worldwide. Prices are reasonable, and on-sale items are actually quite cheap I'd say!

Here's their site, take a look!

http://burncardclothing.com/

(I'm not sure if this belongs to this board, but it is playing card themed... ::) Apologies if this should be posted on other boards.)

Awesome site - I just look forward to seeing more designs from them.  The selection's a bit limited right now.

Wow.. I was fooled but it is so interesting.

BTW, guys did you ever see this?
http://love.youthwant.com.tw/11/pre_readz.php?stud_id=100123572&bid=110707083809z10Y

Now THOSE are really cool!  I imagine USPC isn't happy with the box design, though - it copies their Bicycle Rider Back design a little too closely for the Legal Department's comfort, I imagine.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 05:29:30 AM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Yeah but good luck pursuing a copyright infringement case in China.  You'd have an easier time with the Government if you occupied Hong Kong.

As for the site; very limited selection, little expensive but has some promise.  The sweets design are cool put if I know Chinese knock-offs. they're probably quite nasty.

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 05:36:58 AM »

digipunk

• Discourse Deity

@Don, Take it easy. If I were the UPSC, I would just smile and appreciate they advertise my products to those young students or gals. Actually USPC has a famous official distributor here, we will know if they are unhappy.

The distributor could even represent USPC to express the gratitude to kete:
http://love.youthwant.com.tw/11/pre_readz.php?stud_id=100123572&bid=110627074829z10Y

EDIT: @Kanped, you would not see the candy boxes in China because they were sold out in Taiwan in a short period of time ???
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 05:46:26 AM by digipunk »

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 05:40:46 AM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
Yeah but good luck pursuing a copyright infringement case in China.  You'd have an easier time with the Government if you occupied Hong Kong.

As for the site; very limited selection, little expensive but has some promise.  The sweets design are cool put if I know Chinese knock-offs. they're probably quite nasty.

You're right about pursuing a copyright infringement about that design, it'll be hard. But it's got nothing to do with whether it's in China or not. Though I'd like to point out, that particular design and product is from Taiwan (I don't want to get into political issues here, so I'm just going to leave it at that).

I'm not sure which site you're talking about here. The Burn Card? Or you've found a site for the candy?

I don't really want to get into an argument with you here but could you please stop making inappropriate racial comments please? And thank you.

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 05:47:11 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Well, they're not really knock-offs, per se.  They borrowed some packaging ideas from USPC, but the "cards" candies inside are pretty cool and somewhat original in design.  Kete Moon posted that - while I don't know him myself, he's considered to have a good rep; I can't imagine him putting his name next to something that's not worth buying.  (Although since the site is in Chinese and I didn't translate it, he could be ranting about what crap the candy is and I'd have no clue...)

Not everything out of China is nasty or a knock-off - I love my Moth/Myth and Watcher decks, both Chinese-made.  I'll grant you immediately that Chinese-made goods generally have a bad rep, not entirely undeserved, but they are capable of making quality, original merchandise as well.

OK, as I was writing, I noticed sxjy0109 posted the product is from Taiwan.  Taiwan doesn't have the bad rep that China has.

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 06:04:20 AM »

digipunk

• Discourse Deity
@sxjy0109, I don't want to get into political issues either but I hope you won't mind if I correct Don that Moth/Myth and Watcher were made in Taiwan instead of China. ;)

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 06:06:41 AM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
@sxjy0109, I don't want to get into political issues either but I hope you won't mind if I correct Don that Moth/Myth and Watcher were made in Taiwan instead of China. ;)

I was going to correct and reply to that. I've got no objection to that. MSM from Taiwan produced those decks. I was in touch with them while the Watcher was released last year.

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 06:16:29 AM »

digipunk

• Discourse Deity
@sxjy0109, it is a close group consist of young students and somewhat secret... They didn't have good advertisement methods and I ever argued with the members on Taiwan forums right before the Moth/Myth decks were released... :-[
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 06:16:49 AM by digipunk »

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 06:19:17 AM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
@sxjy0109, it is a close group consist of young students and somewhat secret... They didn't have good advertisement methods and I ever argued with the members on Taiwan forums right before the Moth/Myth decks were released... :-[

I didn't know they were young students but it was somewhat unorganized. I tried offering assistance but nothing much went on after that. I should probably contact them again and see if anything else's going on.

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 06:49:52 AM »

digipunk

• Discourse Deity
@sxjy0109, haha, they are just a group consist of students who like magic and playing cards. It is not a company, even not an organized "team". Some of them are not in Taiwan now, for example, this guy (actually they are a pair of brothers) is in Canada if I am not mistaken:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bLv1cpV_ng

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 07:08:00 AM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
OK, I stand corrected.  I'm  right about copyright in China, though; it basically doesn't exist.  For instance...

http://www.haipad.net/enindex.asp
http://boingboing.net/2009/07/01/chinese-iphone-knock.html

There's so much more; cars, websites, music... everything, all poor imitations.

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2012, 08:46:36 AM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Wow those are pretty sweet looking. At first, I thought the packaging was a deck!

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2012, 10:18:52 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Never be afraid to correct me if I'm genuinely wrong.  Knowing is half the battle!

OK, I stand corrected.  I'm  right about copyright in China, though; it basically doesn't exist.  For instance...

http://www.haipad.net/enindex.asp
http://boingboing.net/2009/07/01/chinese-iphone-knock.html

There's so much more; cars, websites, music... everything, all poor imitations.

It's not exactly a secret that the government often turns a blind eye to copyright infringements and patents.  They've also turned a blind eye to the little things, like safety features and toxic ingredients.  But that doesn't mean all things Chinese are dangerous or infringe on other creators' rights.

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2012, 12:32:29 PM »

digipunk

• Discourse Deity
@Don, I know you would not mind and I am not afraid of telling the truth. However I said "I hope you won't mind..." to sxjy0109, he knew what I meant. There have been some political issues between China and Taiwan for  more than 60 years but we believe they will be solved eventually.

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2012, 01:47:39 PM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
It's not exactly a secret that the government often turns a blind eye to copyright infringements and patents.  They've also turned a blind eye to the little things, like safety features and toxic ingredients.  But that doesn't mean all things Chinese are dangerous or infringe on other creators' rights.

Thank you for that. We've got what we're good at and what we're bad at. Pirated goods may be one of the worst things.

But hey, if I'd strip away all the products in your house (@Don, this isn't direct to you ) that are made in China, you'd be left with no clothes to wear and starve with no food to eat.

So @Kanped, please have some respect for other countries. Just because you've seen the surface of things, doesn't mean you understand the beauty of their nature.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 01:48:10 PM by sxjy0109 »

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2012, 02:52:38 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Honestly it's not that big of a deal. There are many products that "copy" the bicycle design and nothing is done about it. It's one of those famous images that many people take and make their own for products.

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2012, 12:22:21 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Honestly it's not that big of a deal. There are many products that "copy" the bicycle design and nothing is done about it. It's one of those famous images that many people take and make their own for products.

That's not entirely true.  I was involved with helping the USPC track down US distributors of poorly-counterfeited Bee decks last year, all of which were made in China.  Certain things leave them with their hands tied, such as how the Rider Back design has become public domain, but they're still working angles to legally defend even their oldest designs - which is why no one submitting a Bicycle deck design today is allowed to use a Rider Back that's altered in any way other than colors.  (Which led to many other changes, as most of us know from other topics...)  I think they're trying to use trademark law rather than copyright law, but since I'm no lawyer, my guess is a real stab in the dark.

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2012, 12:29:33 AM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:

That's not entirely true.  I was involved with helping the USPC track down US distributors of poorly-counterfeited Bee decks last year, all of which were made in China.  Certain things leave them with their hands tied, such as how the Rider Back design has become public domain, but they're still working angles to legally defend even their oldest designs - which is why no one submitting a Bicycle deck design today is allowed to use a Rider Back that's altered in any way other than colors.  (Which led to many other changes, as most of us know from other topics...)  I think they're trying to use trademark law rather than copyright law, but since I'm no lawyer, my guess is a real stab in the dark.

Firstly, I was talking about the bicycle design and not the Bee design. I was referring to people "copying" the design for other things besides cards (similar to the packing this company uses). However I have seen it on a few decks where there is a striking resemblance. I'm not in the dark on any of this stuff. I know the legality of it but I was saying that you still see things that use rider back style designs or similar Bicycle box designs.

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2012, 09:18:43 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Firstly, I was talking about the bicycle design and not the Bee design. I was referring to people "copying" the design for other things besides cards (similar to the packing this company uses). However I have seen it on a few decks where there is a striking resemblance. I'm not in the dark on any of this stuff. I know the legality of it but I was saying that you still see things that use rider back style designs or similar Bicycle box designs.

Understood.  I simply referred to how USPC does indeed go to some lengths to defend their designs, Bicycle or otherwise.  If just any clothing company started making shirts using trademarks from standard brands of USPC (only the brand names, boxes, backs, jokers and aces of spades - the rest is all uncopyrightable due to prior art), USPC would pursue them full force - as would Jacks & Jokers, their exclusive clothing line manufacturer.  For a small candy maker across the world, they might not bother - but if Cadbury started selling the same product worldwide, USPC's lawyers might give them a call.

George Lucas actually ran into a similar problem with Star Wars merchandise.  Before "A New Hope" was released (back when it was still just called "Star Wars", no episode numbers)  a room was broken into at 20th Century Fox resulting in the theft of two full suits of stormtrooper armor and hundreds of promotional photos.  About a half-year before "Star Wars" even made it to theaters, some no-name toy company started releasing plastic "laser sword" toys and patented them.  The first lightsaber toy Kenner released had a cheesy inflatable blade because of that.  It took a few years, but they sued and won in court (or settled, I'm not sure which) and received the patents on the first toy, allowing Kenner (now part of Hasbro) to market plastic-bladed lightsabers.

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2012, 08:15:07 AM »

K

• Discourse Veteran
  • Card for me maybe?
Hmm, a limited selection to choose from, can't seem to find anything that suits me, perhaps in the future if there's a nice design I'll get one for the quirky packaging  ;)

on another note, I do love the concept in the way they are selling their clothes.  :)
Stalking the forums, I'm in that corner!