You are Here:
NEW DECK - Bicycle Spectrum -- Kickstarter completed!

Author (Read 39409 times)

Re: NEW DECK - Bicycle Spectrum -- Kickstarter starts tomorrow!
« Reply #125 on: February 23, 2012, 10:12:47 PM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
Just for its colours I guess. I'm not sure how many, but I know there aren't many decks that are printed with more than 6 colours.

« Reply #126 on: February 23, 2012, 11:09:46 PM »

Cosmo Solano

• True Member

• Facebook:
Hey just realized the graphic for the backs of the uncut was some how cut off!  that's weird!  I'll fix it in a few...

Glad you like the box (well some of you...)

:-)

Made mockups of about 8 different boxes, and it's a completely different thing when you have it in your hands then it is on the computer screen.

Oh by the way, the graphics of the uncuts are not the actual proofs I'll be getting those any day now, someone was asking me to post a picture of the uncut, so the picture you see I made... there will likely be a few very minor differences...
Just uploaded the picture again... should look fine now.
Thanks again!

Coz

« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 11:25:06 PM by Cosmo Solano »

« Reply #127 on: February 23, 2012, 11:13:05 PM »

hazofhorsham

• Discourse Veteran
It's wrong to compare this to a gaff deck, if you state that the price is justified because it is a magic deck and therefore for magicians; that is fair enough. However if you are a magician and you were in the market of buying a magic deck, you can either get 1 colour changing trick and nice flourishes for $15rrp, or a deck of 54 different tricks for $30ish rrp. You can reason that this deck is okay to cost more than other standard decks because it's magical, but in my opinion it doesn't equal a gaff deck. You can't get as much use out of it - and no offense Coz - I don't think it would be as hard hitting as a gaff trick. All this doesn't really matter, the guys sold enough on kickstarter, he's making his deck and everyone who has a deck on its way (myself included) won't be disappointed - it is a simple concept and you get what you expect. I don't think there is much room for let down with this deck since you know its a rider back, you know is quality guaranteed and you know it's different colours. Not in the league of a gaff deck and it's pointless to compare them. If you want a comparision I would assume a magic makers rainbow deck would be suitable (except that deck has value in the fact it's 54 different back styles which means you get like santa backs etc which are awesome). Thats just what I think...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 11:13:49 PM by hazofhorsham »
Some Men just want to watch the world burn.

« Reply #128 on: February 24, 2012, 12:12:17 AM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:
It's wrong to compare this to a gaff deck, if you state that the price is justified because it is a magic deck and therefore for magicians; that is fair enough. However if you are a magician and you were in the market of buying a magic deck, you can either get 1 colour changing trick and nice flourishes for $15rrp, or a deck of 54 different tricks for $30ish rrp. You can reason that this deck is okay to cost more than other standard decks because it's magical, but in my opinion it doesn't equal a gaff deck. You can't get as much use out of it - and no offense Coz - I don't think it would be as hard hitting as a gaff trick. All this doesn't really matter, the guys sold enough on kickstarter, he's making his deck and everyone who has a deck on its way (myself included) won't be disappointed - it is a simple concept and you get what you expect. I don't think there is much room for let down with this deck since you know its a rider back, you know is quality guaranteed and you know it's different colours. Not in the league of a gaff deck and it's pointless to compare them. If you want a comparision I would assume a magic makers rainbow deck would be suitable (except that deck has value in the fact it's 54 different back styles which means you get like santa backs etc which are awesome). Thats just what I think...

I completely understand what you are saying. When I was comparing it to the Ellusionist gaff deck I just meant price wise. People are saying that this deck shouldn't be so pricey because it doesn't cost any more to produce (besides the low quantity) then a normal deck, and what I was trying to say was that E does the same thing, and they sell it for $30. When I was comparing them I wasnt necessarily comparing the applications and use, because gaff decks definitely have more uses, I was comparing prices, and I'm sorry that I was not clear enough in my above posts.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #129 on: February 24, 2012, 12:36:09 AM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
Man Cosmo.. I'm not sure why you changed the back design layout.. but now I would not buy it

Old layout

New layout

The new layout/color scheme is horrible.  And the addition of the two "rainbow" backs kills it COMPLETELY

Please tell me you're going to change it back, I had planned on buying one.

If it stays like this... I'll have to pass

CBJ

I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

Also, follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

« Reply #130 on: February 24, 2012, 12:36:41 AM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
What does the rest of the forum think??

Did he kill the amazing look of this uncut?

CBJ
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 12:43:10 AM by CBJ »
  I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

« Reply #131 on: February 24, 2012, 12:45:16 AM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Well, I don't think he killed it. I do think the first one looks better but the new one isn't that bad. It's still a pretty sweet uncut sheet that would look great hanging on any wall. That's just my take on it.

I'm curious to hear what everybody else thinks?
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #132 on: February 24, 2012, 12:50:11 AM »

Dazzleguts

• True Member
I agree with you CBJ.
Cosmo that was a very sweet and simple layout, please don't change it.

« Reply #133 on: February 24, 2012, 12:56:32 AM »

Russell CircleCityCards

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Ugh, I pledged for an uncut too.  I just wanted the nice an simple 808 backs with 56 different SOLID colors.

1. KILL the rainbow cards.
2. I like the rearranged colors, it makes more sense than the original.
Circle City Cards - 'Hornet' decks now available!
HOPC - 'Sanguine' & 'Azure' just released!
Facebook - 'Like' us! We frequently have contests!

« Reply #134 on: February 24, 2012, 12:57:42 AM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
I thought maybe the black border was throwing my eyes off a bit...

so I cropped that out.  Here's a side by side

« Reply #135 on: February 24, 2012, 01:26:28 AM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
the newer one doesn`t look nearly as good. The old pattern looked way cooler.
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #136 on: February 24, 2012, 02:14:28 AM »

hazofhorsham

• Discourse Veteran
@loldudex2 I can see where you are coming from though :) I just think this deck either has die hard defenders that think it's brilliant, and those that don't seem to understand it (I am probably the latter) I guess it comes down to two things a) Do you have the money? b) Does your liking/disliking to the deck convince you to buy/not buy it. You can buy decks you don't like just for the sake of having, and you can ignore decks you do like because of financial issues. I see your point, I was just providing the other side of the argument :)

In terms of the uncut sheet I believe you guys are debating? The rainbow card kills it because it interupts the spectrum - one of the great bit of design is the whole complete cycle of colours and the rainbow cards kill it there. Apart from that I don't think the order is too much of an issue :)[/size]

« Reply #137 on: February 24, 2012, 02:52:35 AM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
I liked the old one better, especially with the black background. The white one hurts the eye.

« Reply #138 on: February 24, 2012, 06:23:16 AM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
I agree. The rainbow cards throw it off and make it look somewhat cluttered rather then elegant. I don't think either one is terrible, but I definitely prefer the first one like many of you said.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #139 on: February 24, 2012, 01:03:26 PM »

Cosmo Solano

• True Member

• Facebook:
Hi all, I responded but due to my time constraints will have to edit  and respond a little later...

Thanks!

« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 01:39:20 PM by Cosmo Solano »

Re: NEW DECK - Bicycle Spectrum -- Kickstarter is ACTIVE!
« Reply #140 on: February 24, 2012, 01:40:05 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
I am not going to quote the post above because of the length, but thank you Cosmo for telling us this and giving us the information. I am very glad with the passion that you have, and I really enjoy that you took the time to inform us of all of this. I will admit, I've never been really fond of this deck, and although I am still not a huge fan, I love the fact that you are explaining yourself and your humble approach at this. I can tell you really have a passion for this deck and seeing that gives me the strong urge to pledge.

Thank you for keeping us updated, and keep on truckin'.  :)
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #141 on: February 24, 2012, 01:52:21 PM »

Cosmo Solano

• True Member

• Facebook:
hey thanks loldude!
Unfortunately I deleted the post!!! Hoping to do it before any responses... my apologies! It was too long and I'm so exhausted I really want to edit it just to clean it up..

the down and dirty until then: nothing has changed in the uncut, y'all are comparing the poster to it. 

I'll follow up later with an explaination to clear it up!

Thanks!!!

« Reply #142 on: February 24, 2012, 01:58:01 PM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
This post might not make any sense to some now.. because he erased his post.

Needless to say, he made some comments that were directly aimed at me... so here we go...

Alright Coz...

Some of this was obviously directed at me, so I'll address that..

First off... I STARTED THIS THREAD!  Did I have a problem with your price point when the campaign started?  Of course I did!  You hide behind this.. "well other decks are selling for that much, so why can't I " mentality.  It's overpriced .. PERIOD.  It's not just opinion, it's fact.  At a 2500 deck run, your deck costs $3 to make... MAX.

AND, some of these other ARTISTS have worked there asses off designing a fully custom deck.  Not just using different color rider backs, one ace pip, and one joker design.  You make it seem like you've slaved away at this deck, making this masterpiece..   If you want to talk about sweat and tears.. talk to Russel, Lance, Alex, Adam, or Alex Chin.  These artist's decks deserve that price point.  But even some of them sell for much cheaper.

Face it, you just pumped out a fancy color rider back.

as for the uncut.. trust me, everyone was under the impression that the poster was a darivitive of the uncut design.  Why wouldn't they.  Not once till today did you mention that it wouldn't look like that.  So, like Russel mentioned earlier, he purchased one thinking that's what they looked like.
I understand that there is not a black border on the uncuts, I've been collecting cards a long time.  The only reason I cropped out the black was to see how the 2 looked side by side on even territory.

You are right on one thing for sure... I have not pledged yet.  But members on here can tell you, I had contacted them about doing a group Canadian purchase, because I WANTED that uncut.

You can't just zero out someone who gives criticism on your project even though they might not pledge.  You can go back to my first post, how I wrote how I liked the uncut... and now I'm upset it's not what it was indirectly portrayed as.

Anyway, now that you've erased your post.. you can twist this any way you like..

Honestly, I don't want to have a back and forth argument on this.
I was trying to help.. honestly.
I told you when I couldn't find your deck in the search engine..
I posted that the different look of the uncut as opposed to the poster was not as visually appealing. (maybe a little too harshly, but I was trying to help)

So, let's just end this.  now.  Do what you're going to do with your project, and from here on out... I'll stay out of it.

Jason
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 02:47:27 PM by CBJ »

« Reply #143 on: February 24, 2012, 02:00:09 PM »

hazofhorsham

• Discourse Veteran
EDIT - DELETED BECAUSE IT WAS OFF TOPIC AND I THINK THE OTHER ISSUES ARE MORE IMPORTANT.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 02:04:40 PM by hazofhorsham »

« Reply #144 on: February 24, 2012, 02:04:29 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
I understand what you are saying, Cosmo Solano, but I have to say I agree with CBJ on this one. Anyways, whatever your decision, this won't change my pledge. Good luck,
Nathan

« Reply #145 on: February 24, 2012, 03:13:48 PM »

primary_sequence

Coz, can you please confirm the design of the uncut sheets?

I much prefer the way the poster looks, and I might need to change my pledge!

« Reply #146 on: February 24, 2012, 03:55:07 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I was not expecting this project to go so far! Congrats Coz

« Reply #147 on: February 24, 2012, 04:59:39 PM »

Cosmo Solano

• True Member

• Facebook:

Okay sheesh,

Moving on, my apologies to those who don't like the uncuts.  In case you're not aware kickstarter allows cancellations.  Please I would never want anyone get them and be disappointed.

I know and practice in a way that shows my integrity, so I wont even touch the accusations of being misleading. 

The real issue is that some are okay and some aren't okay with the way they look.

The uncuts were never posted on kickstarter, the posters were.  The posters have black backgrounds and a title at the bottom.  I don't recall any uncut sheets EVER being printed that way.
Care was taken to call them posters and NOT to elude any relationship to the uncut sheets.  This isn't in defense but stating a fact for anyone who hasn't been to the kickstarter site yet and might assume the worst of my efforts.  Nuff said.

I recently posted an update on the kickstarter site titled: "These are your cards, not mine!"  due to printing issues, the box design had to change, much to my dismay.  I finally conceded to a design that seemed to work best (all things considered) and after getting a message about it, and through sheer luck came up with something that is more like what I wanted and everyone liked!  Yay!

I do feel this deck belongs to those who get it, and have worked hard to consider the feedback.

So regarding the uncut sheets: An uncut sheet is a product of the deck, exists because of the deck.  The deck is first and foremost.  To alter the design strictly for the sake of the appearance of the uncut sheet would compromise the deck itself.  With that said, just before launching on kickstarter, I kept looking at the printing layout wishing it could be different.  The deck would have been everything it is now and less work for me had I left it alone and the uncut sheet would have been interesting but not in spectrum order. 

Here's the original uncut, as it would have been in ACE-King order, so those of you who like uncut sheets, understand that I spent two days re-arranging the color scheme, laying out the cards and resubmitting everything to USPCC for one reason, to make the uncut sheets more attractive.

Here's what it ALMOST WAS:

The old layout

Some here in this forum have asked me to change it back, but it is as it always was, unless I change it back to the above layout. It never was layed out like posters. Besides, the poster which I'll agree is prettier, is cheaper!  Win/win! 

For those who like the details: the cards are printed in order from left to right in a row, then back to the left at the next row.  and so on, so either I screw up the spectrum when you actually use them and spread them out, or I go with the spectrum starting over on the next row.  And since this is about the deck more than anything, the compromise HAS to be with the sheet.

I can tell you, the uncut will look awesome on my wall as is and I can't wait for it.  Even the above image is pretty cool for an uncut.

The first thing that makes the uncut sheet appealing to me is that it's an actual sheet from the printing of the deck itself, I thought that's why collectors like them? If not the have I got a cooool poster for you!
The deck comes with the cards that it comes with and every card HAS to go somewhere!

On the 2nd day of kickstarter I posted the uncut image you may have seen, at the request of a backer.  at that point only a few sheets had been ordered, so there was no hiding anything.

One last thing, Hazofhorsham deleted a very VERY important point... In my haste to present the uncut image I used an existing sheet from a google search and superimposed the jokers and ace etc, since the rest of the deck is standard bicycle faces.  It didn't hit me that the order of the front is in si stebbins rather than A-K! 

Understanding that the focal point of the "look of the uncut" issue is about the back colors, I simply over looked the order of the front.
Time constraints won't allow me to make an accurate mock up of the front, and I will take down the front sample right away to avoid confusion.
Even though hazofhorsham deleted the post and I could have just fixed it without mention, I wanted to be "transparent" as always.
All the best intentions!  Glad I got saw that H!

Kickstarter took off today again! Whoo hoo!

Coz
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 05:28:09 PM by Cosmo Solano »

« Reply #148 on: February 24, 2012, 05:33:16 PM »

Cosmo Solano

• True Member

• Facebook:
Coz, can you please confirm the design of the uncut sheets?

I much prefer the way the poster looks, and I might need to change my pledge!

Hey there, the uncut sheet will look as you've seen it on the kickstarter page, with possible MINOR changes to the gaff cards.  You still have 24 days and I will be posting the final proof of the uncut sheet as soon as I get it (hopefully in a few days)  So you can wait to cancel until you see the proof, or cancel and reconsider later.  The color order won't change guaranteed.  If you're not crazy about it then yes you may want to change your pledge.  You can cancel or decrease if a poster is more appealing.

« Reply #149 on: February 24, 2012, 05:34:54 PM »

Cosmo Solano

• True Member

• Facebook:
Thanks magicaddictz!

yeah and today is blowing me away!