March 11, 2011 - a day Japan will never forget

Author (Read 4045 times)

March 11, 2011 - a day Japan will never forget
« on: March 11, 2012, 03:57:18 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
This topic came up through a discussion over Golden Nugget playing cards.  I'll copy some quotes from there to kickstart the topic here.

i know that they are 2 video of a golden nugget .. here are the link
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxPpwkhAOqU
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQFNXN-Wmm0

Oh, I know the guy who made these vids. (Not personally but he's famous among Thai cardists.)

I strongly feel you need a RED Golden Nugget... :t11: :t11: :t11:

If you were in Japan last year during 311 earthquake, why didn't you come to Taiwan and give us a hug like this
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6qRwZwtTjI

LoL.
 I flue from Tokyo to Bangkok on 3/10. One day before the earthquake.
 I guess I'm try lucky, because I almost postpone the flight and stay in Tokyo longer.

Yes, you're very lucky. The power of natural disaster is terrible. Do earthquakes occur in Thailand?

The 3-11 earthquake accidentally improves the friendship between Taiwan and Japan much. There are hundreds of videos on YouTube if searching "Thank you Taiwan", "謝謝 台灣", or "台湾 ありがとう". So many Japanese say they love Taiwan and lots of youths travel to Taiwan since last year. Actually we don't know how this could have happened. I meant, we just returned the favor for their help in 1999 earthquake here and never expected they would have such responses.  :-\ 

SORRY, OFF TOPIC!
 I don't want to create a new thread (don't think this message is important to everyone), so I post here.

Today is the anniversary of 3-11 earthquake. Just saw this video from my friends:
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rB36inEK__s
 Sometimes my eyes become moist when watching these videos. People in the video said if they don't do anything then nothing will be changed, so they rebuild Japan very hard, meanwhile, they hope Taiwan may guard/stand with them as always.

I think that the Japanese people are very grateful to Taiwan coming to them and supporting them in a time of need.  Japan has prickly relationships with a number of its neighbors, so knowing there was someone nearby, in their own part of the world, willing to help at a moment's notice was a happy and welcome surprise, I'm sure.  US support is nice, but there's been much public sentiment against the US military because of some unfortunate and criminal incidents involving individual American servicemen.

I believe that in the long run, this may give the Japanese the rallying point they need to pull them out of their economic doldrums.  It will be hard for a number of years, but giving them something to focus on may work for them in a similar manner to how entering World War II pulled the US economy out of the Great Depression and into a period of strong economic growth.  It was something for people and companies to pull together for, a common goal of interest to everyone, and it generated a lot of much-needed spending to get the wheels of commerce unfrozen and into high gear.

My heart does go out to the many dead, injured and homeless this disaster created.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 03:58:24 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

Re: March 11, 2011 - a day Japan will never forget
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 04:00:59 AM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
I am not sure what earthquake this was. Was it the disaterous one where there was the tsunami and then the nuclear power plant exploded? Anyway me prayers go out to the dead and homeless people from suck a disaster.
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 04:06:47 AM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
Yes, it was that one.
A disastrous week for the Japanese.
They've coped with it well and I'm sure its people would stand up stronger than they were before.

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 04:09:51 AM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
wow it is hard to believe that it has already been a year since that, I remember seeing it on TV, it feels as if it was only a month or two ago
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 05:31:28 AM »

digipunk

• Discourse Deity
@Aaron, when someone wants to attack you, you may fight back hard. However, you can not resist the power of natural disaster. Many people have psychological trauma after that, they feel themselves are so small and helpless when facing the power of nature.

When an earthquake occurs, the following 72 hours is called "Golden Relief Time" or "Golden Hours". Some people might still alive but they are wounded and trapped beneath the collapsed buildings. Central Taiwan was struck by a strong earthquake in 1999, we call it 9-21 earthquake. Houses were destroyed and people died or became homeless. When other countries wanted to help us, China said they should be approved by China first before they can donate money to Taiwan government or send their rescue teams to Taiwan, WTF... However, Japan rescue team arrived at Taiwan first regardless. We know who are true friends. They're saving lives in Golden Hours, but China treated them from politics viewpoints.

Taiwan has learnt much from the 9-21 earthquake, we also build up our own rescue teams and wish one day we may help others if needed. Taiwan sent the rescue team to Japan on 03-12, but Japan government was very afraid of China and refused the help from Taiwan rescue team. Actually we hadn't know what happened until we saw the YouTube videos created by Japanese people and in the videos they just said "Sorry, really sorry, our government is selling our country, really really sorry".

Taiwan people donated much money to Japan, it's 20 billion yen. Besides, many Taiwan people wrote "日本、頑張れ!We are with you" on their hands and took pics to encourage Japan people. We understand the best way to overcome the psychological trauma is to give them courage and believe the hope, believe tomorrow will be better than today.

However, as mentioned above, Japan government was very afraid of China, when they purchase TV or newspaper ads to appreciate the countries that helped Japan, there was no Taiwan. Soon Japan people knew this and got mad at the government. They started thinking their government sucks and was like a coward that bowed to China. So Japan people made hundreds of appreciation videos to Taiwan people. Many youths travel to Taiwan since last year and many of them have a note on their knapsacks: "I am a Japanese, Thank you Taiwan" in Chinese.

I can only say, young Japanese have been well educated. When somebody helped you, you have to say "Thank you". As a human being, isn't this a basic principle? Japan helped Taiwan in 9-21 earthquake, we just tried to repay them when they were in need. Actually under every Japanese appreciation video, there is at least a Taiwanese replied them: "No thanks, we are friends".

A friend in need is a friend indeed. After the 3-11 earthquake, China, South Korea, and Russia challenged Japan's territory problems. South Korea people even wrote "Celebration for Japan 3-11 earthquake"... Japanese disliked Korean before, now they hate them even more.
_
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 09:15:55 AM by digipunk »

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 09:00:22 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
It's disgusting but all too common when governments choose what is politically safe over what is right.  America did this in the years leading up to WW2 and could have saved many European lives; the war had to come to the US before they got involved.  In this day and age, no country is an island unto itself - even the most closed, backward nations have connections to the continental and global community which they need to survive.

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 09:51:36 AM »

digipunk

• Discourse Deity
@Don, I see. Actually Taiwan has been used to this situation, nothing to complain. Japan's new Prime Minster took the post on Sep 2nd and said thanks to Taiwan in mid Sep when interrogated by the Representatives. That's the first time Japan government said this.

VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIa8vFdfIt8

The Rep. said much, but he just repeated the same thing: "Sir, you said it is we Japanese's pride and virtue to never surrender to disasters and help each other when we are in difficulties. I agree with you. However, when the earthquake occurred, Taiwan helped us so much. But the government bowed to the 3rd country and never said thanks to Taiwan. Sir, I do think it is a basic principle to be a human being, there is nothing to do with diplomacy. I am here to sincerely beg you -- if you are really confident of Japan, if you really believe in Japan's pride and spirit, please guard our reputation with top priority. Let people know we Japanese are not cowards who don't know to appreciate the help. Sir, please represent Japan, from you heart, to say thanks to Taiwan." Every time he mentioned Taiwan, you may hear the applause.

As I said earlier, Japan people and Taiwan people "accidentally" improved the relationship. Yesterday Taiwan and Japan warships confronted each other at sea, today Japanese say they love Taiwan. Who knew this would happen... maybe we should say "Thank You" to China. In last year, many resort hotels in Japan even welcomed Taiwanese at any cost. We had never expected they would do to such extent.

In fact, after Taiwan 1999 earthquake, Japan people donated most money to Taiwan. China also donated to Taiwan, and it's 100 thousand USD... I really don't know what to say except "thank you" or "better than none". When 2008 Si-Chuan earthquake occurred in China, Taiwan poeple donated much more money to China than that we donated to Japan last year. We never heard China say anything either, it's OK because we got used to this situation. Finally we realized China wanted to give us a surpirse, so they held a huge military exercise soon... Who knew this would happen.

In today's video, they want to express "Now we are fine, thank you". It used "元気" (genki) in the video, it's Japanese but it is also used in daily life here.
_
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 01:36:16 PM by digipunk »

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 06:46:21 AM »

digipunk

• Discourse Deity
As I said earlier, Japan people and Taiwan people "accidentally" improved the relationship. Yesterday Taiwan and Japan warships confronted each other at sea, today Japanese say they love Taiwan. Who knew this would happen...

Japanese have become very interested in what is happening in Taiwan after the 311 earthquake. They even uploaded many funny videos about Taiwanese that I hadn't seen before. For example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7q3E2ZgEqfI
In this video, a group of Taiwanese were mistaken as Koreans, Japanese are angrier than Taiwanese in those replies. Really don't know how this could have happened.  :o :o

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 02:25:31 AM »

digipunk

• Discourse Deity
Off topic again. :-\

After watching YouTube videos all night, I feel that they are too polite. I don't think they need to say thanks so many times to Taiwanese. There were many countries helping Japan after the 311 earthquake, Japan people have to say thanks to all of them even though the government already did that. Besides, I don't like them saying that they like which countries and dislike which countries. It sounds so weird to me. Sometimes I say I don't like China, I just don't like something they did or said, but I don't really hate China and I have many friends there. However, I found Japanese really hate some countries. (Though I don't like those culture thieves either)

On March 11, lots of Taiwanese went to Japanese forum (actually guestbook) as soon as they knew a strong earthquake occurred in Japan. There's much conversation. No matter which language they used, there were always some people translating for the other immediately. In the same day, Taiwan donated 0.3 billion yen to Japan and prepared to send our rescue team (100 workers). Some Japanese cried and appreciated Taiwan, but they also started to complain about South Korea, only 5 men plus 2 dogs (and Japan government was asked to indemnify them if they got hurt during the rescue action).

After a month from the earthquake (donation from Taiwan had been 15 billion yen), Fuji TV came to Taiwan to find out why people here would provide so much support to Japan. They finally found the reasons are simple: we've been educated to help others and should return the favor when possible. Japan really helped Taiwan much after the 921 earthquake, the most rescue workers (145) that arrived first and the most donation. Many Taiwanese donated money without second thought when they knew Japan suffered from the 311 earthquake. Many kids donated all their money that they had saved up for toys (mostly from the red envelopes in CNY). Their parents wouldn't be angry, instead, would be very proud of the children. The world needs love and I believe all kids have been taught "it is more blessed to give than to receive". They were so fortunate to be the ones who could help others.

In last April, a Japanese drew this image to his friend: http://i.imgur.com/qKBgh.jpg
For unknown reason it was posted on their forum and the title was "Taiwanese are showing off". Showing off is no good and I could hardly believe Taiwanese would do such a foolish thing. Before the artist clarified the misunderstanding, there had been dozens of replies on the board. But we were surprised by the replies: "Taiwan may do that, China and Korea can't", "I didn't see any showoff, it's truth", "The cats are so cute", "Really want to rely on Taiwan", ...

In last June and July (donation from Taiwan had been 20+ billion yen), I guess many Japanese might be somewhat crazy. They started to dig everything about Taiwan. They even re-uploaded an old video describing the relationship between Taiwan and Japan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qfywx8vmb8
and then there were more people crazy with them after watching the video. Many Japanese cried when they listened to what the O-ba-san said. In the video, a group of young Japanese came to visit an O-ba-san in Taiwan. It also mentioned how Japanese constructed Taiwan to be better place than Japan itself in 1895-1945. At 4:11", "we still...", the O-ba-san stopped suddenly and asked them, "kids, do you know what Japanese spirits are ?" They lowered the heads and laughed embarrassingly (they didn't know). The O-ba-san told them, "Japanese spirits are UPHOLDING JUSTICE, BE HONEST, and HARD WORKING. Taiwanese still guard the Japanese spirits, more steadily than Japanese". When watching the video, many Japanese cried especially heard she said "Kids, please cherish/take care of Japan". (The term O-ba-san is also used in Taiwan. Originally it means grandma, but Japanese and Taiwanese also respectfully called all elderly women we don't know as O-ba-san. Be careful, don't call a woman who is not old enough as O-ba-san, she will be unhappy)

Actually I think it's enough. :-\
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 06:27:56 AM by digipunk »

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 03:43:44 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
The Japanese as a people are reacting very strongly, but not without good reason.  After World War II, Japan was not exactly popular in the region and had few if any local allies - they relied heavily on the US Occupation forces and the US government.  Japan has had difficult relations like this for a long time; their period of prosperity leading into the 1980s may have made other nations envious of their success, though now it's Japan whose economy has been in the doldrums for so long and their neighbors who are becoming more prosperous.  I believe that during the 9-21-99 earthquake, the Japanese, by now a more humble and humanitarian people and culture, they felt it was almost required of them to provide aid and did so gladly.  Politics were cast aside in favor of human lives.

I don't think the Japanese expected such strong support when the disaster hit them a year ago.  Sure, their trading partners in the US and Europe would come to their aid, but I think they were shocked to find such eager assistance from the Taiwanese.  Nearly overnight, they went from having their nearest allies an ocean away to having one practically next door.  For a country that for so long felt isolated, it's a welcome feeling - doubly so in that there's still a connection in Taiwan, albeit mostly among the elderly, to Japanese culture.

On the surface, it may seem like a fad - and to a certain extent, I'm sure it is.  But I don't think this will go away any time soon; this is a major historic event for the Japanese people and this will for decades leave warmer feelings toward Taiwan than has existed for a long time.  It's comparable to some events in American history like the Pearl Harbor bombing, the assassination of President Kennedy and the 9-11-01 terror attacks - these are events that those alive for them never forget; many even remember exactly where they were when they got the news and what they were doing.

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 05:45:00 PM »

digipunk

• Discourse Deity
Japan is like a cat after WWII, but many Asian countries, especially its neighbors, are afraid that it will became a tiger again. If you ask a Korean which country he hates most and which country's armed forces threaten his country most. He has only one answer, not China, not North Korea, not Russia.

Actually the ranking on the Global Firepower website is not correct: http://www.globalfirepower.com/
After the joint military exercise of China and Russia (Peace Mission 2005), guess what Russia said... "China navy is at the level of 1950". The red panda (haha, I think Russia is a red polar bear, then China should be a red panda) still speaks loud in front of the Japan and Japan is still like a cat. Other than Russia, in Asia the only country whose armed forces might be stronger than Japan is South Korea. Every time when South Korea purchases weapons, they have a principle: equal to or better than Japan. Japan palned to purchase F-35, then South Korea wants F-35 too.

In the near future, Japan will change their Constitution and is allowed to sell their weapons to other countries. We may expect China and South Korea's reactions. I believe many countries will like the weapons made by Japan.

Korea is a tragedy country. It's surrounded by China, Russia, and Japan. However, Korea was poor and weak in history. When China was bored, China beat it. When Japan was unhappy, Japan invaded it. Koreans have been very inferior for thousands of years and now become very rude to Japan (of course they dare not be rude to the red panda).

When the Great Kanto Earthquake struck Japan in 1923, the rumor said Koreans set fire to burn Japanese houses, then Japanese arrested all Koreans in Japan and killed them all (6,000 in total). The Great Kanto Earthquake also caused Japan to start the WWII in Asia. Actually nowadays Japanese and Koreans still dislike each other. Japanese think Korea government strategically let Koreans go to Japan and bring many society problems. I don't want to translate the following list, it shows one of the many reasons why Japanese now still hate Koreans. They even think Koreans are shame of Asia.

■ 強姦、殺人などの凶悪犯は韓国・朝鮮人 ■
窃盗 1位 中国人  2位 韓国・朝鮮人
殺人 1位 韓国・朝鮮人  2位 中国人
放火 1位 韓国・朝鮮人  2位 中国人
強姦 1位 韓国・朝鮮人  2位 中国人
暴行 1位 韓国・朝鮮人  2位 中国人
傷害 1位 韓国・朝鮮人  2位 中国人
脅迫 1位 韓国・朝鮮人  2位 中国人
恐喝 1位 韓国・朝鮮人  2位 中国人
平成16年度の刑法犯の外国人検挙数

Why I think Japanese have thanked Taiwanese too much? I am moved by those appreciation videos, but they only need to say "thank you", it's enough. However, now more and more Japanese's replies imply racism. Of course I know they support Taiwanese, but they don't need to say anything involving racism. Few of them now treat Taiwanese as "noble people" who should be their family, while Korea and China people are... Time is progress, hope them not to go backward.

Take a look at what they digged. This video (Japan and Taiwan walked together for 50 years) even involved militarism:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29bdvHsQV9k
It was uploaded in 2009, but is linked by other articles recently. Do you see soldiers, planes, and warships? They were Taiwanese. In WWII, some planes were produced and some kamikaze pilots were trained in Taiwan. Many Taiwanese soldiers' names are enshrined in Yasukuni Shrine, but this is another story.

I understand why young Japanese are crazy for Taiwan now (they feel like they suddenly found a lost brother), but say "thank you" is enough. One of them even said native Taiwanese's DNA is very similar to Japanese, ridiculous!! Some asked more Taiwanese artists/idols to go to Japan, impractical!! (they may succeed more easily if going to China and in fact it's more and more Japanese artists/idols come to Taiwan entertainment circles) Some said stories about what their grandparents told them how friendly Taiwanese are, OK it's true. (Actually there were 400 thousand Japanese sent back to Japan after WWII, they were born, educated, lived, or worked here. And I actually know many old Japanese told their families that they wanted to go back to Taiwan or see their Taiwanese friends/classmates when they're dying.)

Finally, this is a Taiwanese song created in about 1930:
望春風 by 一青窈: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6PjhYr6-cE
the singer is half-Taiwanese, half-Japanese, but her Taiwanese is really... worse. (Taiwanese is a dialect, not Mandarin)

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 03:21:16 PM »

digipunk

• Discourse Deity
Finally, this is a Taiwanese song created in about 1930:
望春風 by 一青窈: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6PjhYr6-cE
the singer is half-Taiwanese, half-Japanese, but her Taiwanese is really... worse. (Taiwanese is a dialect, not Mandarin)
Forgot to say, the song is also half-Taiwanese, half-Japanese.

There are too many anniversary videos, I picked 2 with the music I like:
JP2TW: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clIdkpgxltk
TW2JP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEgHjKaTki4

March 10 in Tokyo, a baseball game of Japanese All Stars and Taiwanese All Stars:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMxHCW4oNEo
I can not feel competitive atmosphere, only warmness.

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2012, 11:10:56 PM »

digipunk

• Discourse Deity
TW2JP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEgHjKaTki4

I am bored now and want to introduce this song, unfortunately my English is not good enough to translate the lyrics.
This is the original: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz1Kw90LSPs
The title is "手紙 ~拝啓 十五の君へ", by Angela Aki, it means "A letter to dear 15 year old me".

It has been a period of time, Japanese like to write a letter to somebody in a different spatiotemporal world. For example, this is a real story that a mother died in 311 earthquake last year, but the daughter received a letter from her after several months. How could this had happened? The mother ever wrote a letter to "her daughter at 3 years later" before the earthquake occurred. She wrote her expectations in the letter and shared the funny things about "the daughter at this moment" with "the daughter at 3 years later".

Kids are often asked "What will you be when you grow up?". Japanese teachers encourage students to write letters to themselves at certain age in the future, say, 15, 18, or 20. The letters should be preserved safely by themselves and only when they are at that age can they open the envelopes again. Though writing a letter to oneself sounds silly, it is very meaningful for one to review himself/herself few year later.

This song "手紙 ~拝啓 十五の君へ" is writing a letter to oneself in the future. This song has a Chinese version with slightly different style (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbHOJ_g7zYk). According to the lyrics, the Chinese version is not writing a letter to oneself in the future, it is writing a letter to oneself in the past instead. Anything may be written in the letter, sharing thoughts and moods, telling oneself how he/she have walked throught these difficult years with bravery, or telling oneself he/she now doesn't disappoint him/her at 15.

Actually I like the original version more. Hope people may enjoy it (them) as well.
_
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 11:23:32 PM by digipunk »

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2012, 06:39:19 AM »

digipunk

• Discourse Deity
I am bored now. :-\

In Sep 2011, there were 6 Japanese swimming from Japan to Taiwan to express their appreciation. How could this have happened?

Because they swum from Yonaguni-jima (与那国島), the white circle on the follwong map:
http://pic.yupoo.com/notyhsu/BOZgHoFB/BUdzq.jpg
Yonaguni belongs to Okinawa county and is the left-most island of Japan. It is very close to Taiwan and people on the island may watch Taiwan TV programs. (There is nothing to surprise about that, because the pink circle on the map is called Kingman county that belongs to Taiwan and is equipped with heavy weapons against China.)

For those who don't know Asia history, Okinawa was called Ryukyu Kingdom since 15th century. Ryukyu Kingdom was a rich and independent country under the protection of ancient China. It became a part of Japan in 1885 when Japan invaded it, the China Qing dynasty was too weak to take care about Ryukyu in that era.

Native Okinawa people are very pure, peaceful and friendly. Though they are totally assimilated to Japanese now, there are still many Chinese-style cultural remains everywhere. Okinawa also celebrates CNY and few Chinese festivals
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 06:51:26 AM by digipunk »

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2012, 10:44:51 PM »

digipunk

• Discourse Deity
I've spent a whole week on those Japanese forums, there are hundreds of new posts (perhaps more than one thousand) about Taiwan everyday.

Though I've visited almost every part of Japan in these 10 years, from south-most Okinawa to north-most Hokkaido, now something is changing: in last year, the number of Japanese visiting Taiwan was more than the number of Taiwanese visiting Japan. And there are still many people saying they've planed to visited Taiwan in this year :mindf-ck: :mindf-ck:

It is a pity that young Japanese know the history of Taiwan so late. MacArthur prevented Japan from dying, but he also made Japanese lose their trandistional spirits and think all Asian countries hate them. 特亜三国 (The 3 Far East countries: China, South Korea, and North Korea) implement anti-Japan education and Japan implements introspection education and is like a cat. The 3 countries often remind Japan: you started the war, brought a major catastrophe to us, and you were the loser.

There are 1 million Koreans in Japan now and some of them have controlled the media and politics. If you want to understand how Koreans hate Japan, take a look at these interesting pics drawn by Korean children:
http://aog.2y.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=1550
http://aog.2y.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=1558

Japan has been lonely for 60 years in Asia and finally they think they found a long-lost brother that always stands by their side. They didn't know Taiwan much from schools and now they digged everything about Taiwan out and watch Taiwan news everyday. Actually Taiwan also implemented anti-Japan education (because current Taiwan government/army is the exact one that fought against Japan in WWII), but it didn't work. We were taught Japanese were bad guys in the school, but our grandparents told us they're not all truth when we came home. Actually since 20 years ago, Taiwan textbooks has adjusted lots of descriptions about Japan: "Nanking Massacre" was removed from our textbook, "Japan lost the war" was changed to "the war ended", "Japan occupied era" was changed to "Japan governed era", "China's largest island is Hainan (not Taiwan)", "Our highest mountain is Monte Jade (not Mount Everest)", etc., there are still 5,000 adjustments in the new textbooks. In other words, kids has been taught "we are Taiwanese, have nothing to do with China" from 20 years ago (China government knew this).

Taiwan might be the only country that was benefited from Japan in the first half of the 20th century. Japan govenment spent more money on Taiwan than on Japan itself and everything was done in the first 10 years. That really surprises me. Actually at the 10th year, modernizing Taiwan didn't need money from Japan government and could support 1/5 cost for the Russo-Japanese War. After Japan big cities were bombed tragically by US planes, Taiwan was the most modernized country in Asia at that moment (or should say "island" instead of "country" because Taiwanese's nationality was Japan then). If someone really understands history, he would know Taiwan is not a country unless Taiwanese decide which government we want according to the International Law, because Japan gave up the ownership of Taiwan in San Francisco Peace Treaty (1951) but no receiving country was designated. Until Chruchill died he still said he would never give Formosa to Community China.

Time can not go back, now Taiwan is Taiwan no matter to China or Japan. Taiwanese helped Japan after the 311 earthquake because of humanity instead of hisotry. We hadn't expected anything from Japan, but their people do too much for us and now still blame their government everyday. Even though they really think Taiwan is their brother, it won't be true anyway. They don't understand how difficult the situation that Taiwan is facing is.

It is very interesting, so many Japanese visit Taiwan and listen Taiwanese music, watch Taiwanese dramas, and purchase products made in Taiwan. As mentioned earlier, Japanese don't like China and Korea but I feel they still respect China because of its culture and history. So now it's funny that they think they found a lost brother and this brother has integrated Chinese culture and Japanese spirits. Some people are kind enough and even say Taiwan and Japan may share the disputing island together.

Finally, this is a Chinese song, its MV was taken just before the 311 earthquake.
情人知己 by 梁文音: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RNpQqhxBbE
The singer is a native Taiwanese (about 2% of Taiwan population).
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 12:51:21 PM by digipunk »

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2012, 04:34:24 PM »

digipunk

• Discourse Deity
Even though they really think Taiwan is their brother, it won't be true anyway.

Obviously, some people don't agree to the brotherhood... :-\ :-\ :-\

Well, it's sisterhood ⊙﹏⊙

Plum blossom is Taiwan's national flower, and she used cherry blossoms to represent her country (it's OK since we usually call Japanese girls as "sakura girls", but actually Japan's national flower is chrysanthemum). And here is a common sense, traditional Chinese and Japanese clothes are right lapelled. In ancient China, only savages wore clothes with left lapel. Ancient Japan was deeply influenced by Chinese culture, only the dead are dressed with left lapel in Japan.

They seem to be really happy to know Taiwan more, especially when they found something that they dare not to do:
http://pic.yupoo.com/notyhsu/BPwnTePc/vvp5J.jpg (a taxi: No Korean Passenger)
http://pic.yupoo.com/notyhsu/BPwnUoWx/OHxL6.jpg (restaurants: South Koreans are not welcomed)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoMAfVV_FJk (a restaurant: China people are not welcomed)
It is illegal to treat consumers unfairly, Korea/China tourists may accuse them. Anyway, they are now famous in Japan  :mindf-ck:
Fortunately Taiwan has nothing to do with North Korea, otherwise they might be happier.

Many Japanese visit Taiwan and they like to share the videos/pictures, and others who already visited or will visit here are very interested in those videos/pictures. I don't really know what they think, it seems visiting Taiwan is a very great thing for them. By the way, one of their favorite places is called 九份 (Jio-Fen) Old Street, it is the creative source of Miyazaki's animation "Spirited Away" (千と千尋の神隠し).
http://pic.yupoo.com/notyhsu/BPxkIqyZ/DYr39.jpg
http://pic.yupoo.com/notyhsu/BPxkKhLE/8gYVo.jpg
http://pic.yupoo.com/notyhsu/BPxkL8rX/7Hsrg.jpg
http://pic.yupoo.com/notyhsu/BPxkP16x/zMGtK.jpg

Some Japanese artists/singers in Taiwan entertainment circles had been working hard for years but still not very famous, now they become famous in Japan ⊙_⊙||
Besides, now they like to use 3C products made in Taiwan. Sometimes they find something special:
http://pic.yupoo.com/notyhsu/BPwnZLGC/ZruGn.jpg (hint: the bottom-right corner)

However, they pay so much attention to Taiwan, and might have too many opinions.... For example, they want to ask Taiwan Tourist Bureau why there's a Korean in the official CM:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZAQXov8M8g (come one... it's 2010 video)

Or they compared Taiwan National Health Insurance with other Asian countries, seems they want to know everything. (Another common sense, only 5 countries in Asia have National Health Insurance: Japan, South Korea, Mongolia, Thailand, and Taiwan. And Taiwan's NHI is really excellent and successful. Even though South Korea started NHI earlier than us, they still often come to research Taiwan's NHI system.)

__TO BE CONTINUED__
(since I have been off topic, let me off topic all the way in this thread :t11: :t11:  but it's time to sleep now)

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2012, 05:11:34 PM »

digipunk

• Discourse Deity
Off topic all the way... I don't know how to continue, there were too many events happened in Feb and Mar.

Last week's news was Taiwan's HonHai Precision Industry decided to invest 130 billion yen in Japan, in order to improve Japan's economy and cooperate Sharp to fight against Korean companies. Then Apple wanted to participate the group, so it might be [HonHai+Sharp+Apple] vs [Samsung+LG].

North Korea will launch a satellite in April but many countries said its real purpose is to test the long-range missile. South Korea and Japan will shoot down the rocket as long as it veers off course. Japan has deployed Aegis warships and PAC-3 Patriot missiles in Okinawa. Perhaps Taiwan is too bored and also announced and deployed PAC-3 and TK-3 missiles (aka Sky Bow III) to shoot down the rocket if Japan should fail to intercept it.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 06:07:48 AM by digipunk »

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2012, 08:25:20 AM »

digipunk

• Discourse Deity
Off topic  :-\

...Perhaps Taiwan is too bored and also announced and deployed PAC-3 and TK-3 missiles (aka Sky Bow III) to shoot down the rocket if Japan should fail to intercept it.

Actually I hope Taiwan has the chance to deal with the rocket because it can be treated as an excise. We often say Singapore is like a scorpion, and Taiwan is like a hedgehog. Taiwan has world's 2nd highest density of air defense missiles and that is on the same level as Israel (world's highest density).

Though Taiwan is small, but there were still some interesting stories. For example, world's first time to destroy an enemy aircraft with air-to-air missiles: Taiwan pilot in 1958 (and of course the victim was China air force). Taiwan also had good relationship with middle east countries, Jordan pilots was trained by Taiwan, North Yemen pilots was trained by Taiwan (actually Taiwan pilots even flied their aircraft to attack South Yemen). Several crazy guys were trained in Taiwan when they were young: Saddam Husain (Iraq), Muammar Gaddafi (Libya), and Manuel Noriega (Panama). In 2010 Taiwan accidentally sold some equipment to Iran that might be used to develop nuclear weapons (and certainly US warned Taiwan). Should stop here, you won't want to know how many times US has stopped Taiwan from developing N power in these 40 years.

Anyway, look at the 2009 TV advertisement of the dept. of national defense... damn, we have transformers :mindf-ck: :mindf-ck: :mindf-ck:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpAvEX2tsr8

« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 08:27:20 AM by digipunk »

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2012, 08:47:23 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Just so you know, I have been reading all your posts.  Perhaps I should rename the topic and call it "Digipunk's Blog"...

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2012, 06:53:30 PM »

eggman

• Elite Member
Digi, This also is a little of topic. I have spent a decent amount of time in China. Many who survided the occupation of China and a few who witnessed "The rape of Nanking". Many times, and not just in China, the Japanese occupation is reffered to as "The silent genocide" Having spoken too many who made it through those horrible times, they were of course very young at the time, one gentleman related to me he was raped several times by Japanese soldiers when he was about 12. This of course was followed by the rule of Chairman Mao after the US and USSR expelled Japan from China. I am just curious to see what your view is. Is Chinas resentment unjustified. I am not trying to start a debate of things like Turkey and the Armenians or the evils many countries perpetrated. I am just wondering about your opinion about this specific subject.