You are Here:
magic con v2 confirmed

Author (Read 44681 times)

Re: magic con v2 confirmed
« Reply #225 on: April 16, 2012, 02:45:38 PM »

sinsandman

• Extraordinaire
  • Sinister
@Nathan, as a man who has a family and understands that mommy and daddy doesn't give me everything, I would act the exact same. I am just a little older and more mature is what it boils down to.
Magical as Sin!

« Reply #226 on: April 16, 2012, 02:52:27 PM »

Curt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
I dont mean for the items to be in your cart for long periods of time. Maybe for 10 minutes tops. really just enough time so you can enter in all of your information without having to worry about it selling out. 

Yeah, I agree that if this was implemented that the reservation would have to apply for a very short period of time but to me, all this is doing is changing the issue from who can enter their order details in faster to who can click a button quicker. It will have the same end result, some people happy and some pissed, but will just do it in a different manner. Everyone is going to draw the short straw at some point or another and miss out on a deck they wanted, but we all should realize that what we do is a hobby, not a necessity and there are much more important things than a deck of cards.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 02:54:26 PM by Curt »

« Reply #227 on: April 16, 2012, 03:03:09 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
@Nathan, as a man who has a family and understands that mommy and daddy doesn't give me everything, I would act the exact same. I am just a little older and more mature is what it boils down to.
I'm done with these personal attacks so I won't even bother to answer to your comment.

« Reply #228 on: April 16, 2012, 03:11:47 PM »

Knobz1

• Discourse Royalty
@ Curt: Couldnt have said it better myself.  I have gotten the short end of the stick plenty of times.  This time happend to be my lucky day and I was able to get a brick.  Next time I will prolly get the short end of the stick again.  Thats just the way it is.  You win some and you lose some.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 03:13:00 PM by Knobz1 »
- Adam

« Reply #229 on: April 16, 2012, 04:37:30 PM »

Adam

is the magic con  deck going to be available on their website ... or where can you buy it??

« Reply #230 on: April 16, 2012, 04:42:30 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
is the magic con  deck going to be available on their website ... or where can you buy it??
Let me start by welcoming you to the forums! :D
Also, yes, these were available on their website but are now sold out.
Finally, feel free to read the conversation before posting, that can often help answer your question.
I hope you have fun here! :P

« Reply #231 on: April 16, 2012, 04:44:12 PM »

Curt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:

Hey Adam, I understand this is your first post, but in the future please remember to read at least some of what has been discussed already in the thread, you will most likely find the answers to you questions written in there.

But to answer your question, the Magi-Con v2 was released on two separate occasions on D&D's website, they were also given out to the attendees of Magic-Con. As of now they are completely sold out and you will have to buy them from a reseller for the inflated price if you would like to own one.

Also, this forum has a built in search function at the top right of the site. Remember to take a quick check with that to see if your question has already been answered if you have any others, this forum is pretty active and there is tons of info on here for you to learn from.

Cheers
- Curt

Let me start by welcoming you to the forums! :D
Also, yes, these were available on their website but are now sold out.
Finally, feel free to read the conversation before posting, that can often help answer your question.
I hope you have fun here! :P

Ahh, Nathan beat me to it  >:( ;)

« Reply #232 on: April 16, 2012, 07:14:57 PM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
Every time a limited print deck is released, people are pissed they didn't get one. Eventually companies are going to say "screw this" and not make limited run decks. All it does is make people mad at them. It is just stupid to me.
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #233 on: April 16, 2012, 07:50:36 PM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
LOL.. looks like Don ruffled some feathers..

Dan and Dave write:

"In all honesty Don Boyer, I do not understand your argument one bit. Further, I do not appreciate you spamming our Facebook page with a minor problem that could be solved with a simple email. Granted we are busy and will get back to you later this week. To explain is short form: The Magic-Con playing cards were intended for the attendees of Magic-Con 2012. That's it! We graciously sold a small supply in our online shop and gave everyone several days notice. We can't control the market and although we appreciate the quick sell-out from a business standpoint, we do like to make our fans and customers happy and like to think we have the best customer support on the planet. So, email us and we'll get back to you. Case closed."

Yikes.. lol

CBJ
  I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

Also, follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

« Reply #234 on: April 16, 2012, 08:13:18 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:

Dan and Dave write:

"In all honesty Don Boyer, I do not understand your argument one bit. Further, I do not appreciate you spamming our Facebook page with a minor problem that could be solved with a simple email. Granted we are busy and will get back to you later this week. To explain is short form: The Magic-Con playing cards were intended for the attendees of Magic-Con 2012. That's it! We graciously sold a small supply in our online shop and gave everyone several days notice. We can't control the market and although we appreciate the quick sell-out from a business standpoint, we do like to make our fans and customers happy and like to think we have the best customer support on the planet. So, email us and we'll get back to you. Case closed."

Yikes.. lol

CBJ
LOL, wheres that from?

« Reply #235 on: April 16, 2012, 08:31:10 PM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
It's from the Dan and Dave FB page.

It's in the comments part of their post from yesterday

CBJ
  I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

Also, follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

« Reply #236 on: April 16, 2012, 09:14:11 PM »

zaganh

• Discourse Deity
  • Hakuna matata feet up sippin java ^^

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
i asked syd about if theyll be in variety box or dotm

I am sorry that you missed out Zagan. It is possible though that the decks will be in a DOTM or Variety Box.

Syd

« Reply #237 on: April 16, 2012, 09:50:13 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

Dan and Dave write:

Yikes.. lol

CBJ

I don't think they were keen on the idea that my posts were starting to get likes!  I made a reply to that comment - and they deleted it.

As far as solutions - I've been to website that start a countdown clock when you start the purchase, and you have until that countdown runs out to complete the purchase or the merchandise goes back up for sale.  I'm not saying I need ten minutes to bust out my credit card, but I could use just a little more time than it takes for the blasted page to load.  I never even made it that far.

Another alternative - lottery-style sales!  Accept orders all weekend long, everyone gets a fair crack at getting the product, and no one gets the edge.

These are NOT new ideas.  They're just not attractive to Dan and Dave Industries.  And those are just two off the top of my head - great minds could think of something better, I'm sure.

BTW: Nathan - yes, the personal attacks against you are unwarranted.  No, D&D do NOT check in here, unless Syd is a liar, because he flat out stated to me in the past that they don't check the forums.  They care about what happens in their own sandbox and that's about it, at least until someone starts flinging sand...  :))

Now, comparing playing cards to groceries needed to survive is a very unfair comparison - I said as much.  But a comparison to the hottest Christmas toy of years-gone-by during Black Friday is a very apt comparison.  So what if a "shopping cart" is a virtual concept and not a real thing.  It doesn't make the perception of having something pulled away from you when you go to buy it any less real, because that's a feeling, not a fact.

I don't expect the world to change over one sale of a limited-edition item.  But that they have the nerve to sit back and call this, and I quote, "the best customer support on the planet," shows that they really are clueless about what their own customers think.

Everyone - stop, think for a moment about every single dealing you've had with Dan and Dave, either directly or by proxy while trying to buy and/or use their products.  Now, how many of you can honestly tell me they offer "the best customer support on the planet?"  Who remembers this kind of industrial-grade hyperbole coming out of Theory11 when they were marketing a nice, serviceable deck of cards (Monarchs) as "perfection, with an uncompromising eye for quality and durability?"  Who bought that steaming load of adspeak?  Why should this be treated any differently?
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #238 on: April 16, 2012, 10:11:26 PM »

phantom1412

• Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
What did you replied to them?

« Reply #239 on: April 16, 2012, 10:40:32 PM »

shutupdangit

• Elite Member
As far as solutions - I've been to website that start a countdown clock when you start the purchase, and you have until that countdown runs out to complete the purchase or the merchandise goes back up for sale.  I'm not saying I need ten minutes to bust out my credit card, but I could use just a little more time than it takes for the blasted page to load.  I never even made it that far.

See this a lot in ticket sales to shows so I don't see why stores like D&D can't try it.

I was one of the (un)lucky few that completely missed both releases. I was hanging out with friends Thursday and lost track of time, and I was on the road coming home from out of town during yesterday's release. That said, I can understand the frustration from the people that lost the decks as they were checking out, but I think that some people don't understand that for such a limited deck, the chances of actually getting one are pretty slim. When RA and v6 came out and people couldn't get them because their respective websites crashed, I would say that is a legitimate complaint, however after reading through this thread I feel like the general consensus is: "I couldn't get one because too many other people wanted them". I'm not trying to justify the lack of any kind of "reserve" system, as I still think that would help the problem, I'm just trying to put it in perspective so to speak.

« Reply #240 on: April 16, 2012, 11:40:01 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
What did you replied to them?

Words to the effect that if leaving customers empty-handed was their idea of "the best customer support in the world," then our definitions of the phrase were somewhat different.

No one's saying to stop making limited edition decks forever.  But maybe if it was just a little less limited, more people would buy them and own them, while they'd have more cash to pocket.  They're so utterly opaque about their "limited" production runs right now, they'd be able to do it without anyone noticing.  The only person who WOULDN'T be happy with that kind of model wouldn't be the fans, it would be the resellers looking to make a huge profit in marking this things up beyond all recognition of the original retail price.  In theory, D&D shouldn't give a crap about that end of the market, since they're not making a thin dime off of it - but the fact remains that they do buy decks in bulk, in essence making them attractive customers, far more attractive than Joe Magician or Jane Flourisher who thinks the MCv2 deck would have been a nice thing to perform with, if they could afford it.

Dan and Dave are trying to - scratch that, have succeeded in - making the playing card world a fashion business akin to the kind of shops that participate in New York Fashion Week in lower Manhattan every February and September.  Limited edition frocks costing far more than anything mere mortals would find at the local shopping mall...  But the last time I looked, gang, these are PLAYING CARDS.  I live in Manhattan - I could find designer bottled water without looking all that hard, and it would cost more than I make in an hour at a union job.  But do I really want to live in that kind of world?  I'm not saying we should all be happy with Bicycle Rider Backs and call it a day, but Dan and Dave operate at the extreme opposite of the spectrum.

« Reply #241 on: April 17, 2012, 12:51:45 AM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
Did you contact their customer service? What did they say? Don, nice job making a bold move and daring to face a group of irrational business people with thousands of followers :D Lol, it seems like this argument has gotten me from +36 to -1 and you from -5 to -120 lol.

« Reply #242 on: April 17, 2012, 01:37:45 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Did you contact their customer service? What did they say? Don, nice job making a bold move and daring to face a group of irrational business people with thousands of followers :D Lol, it seems like this argument has gotten me from +36 to -1 and you from -5 to -120 lol.

I could care less about the fame right now - it means "hot, sweet cinnamon buns" for all the real-world effect it has, since Fame is in Beta!

The "best customer support in the world" hasn't gotten back to me yet.  Do I still even count as a customer if I couldn't even make the purchase?  :))

« Reply #243 on: April 17, 2012, 09:46:14 AM »

DeckOfCards

• Discourse Veteran
To conclude. People bitch about things they don't get. Those people won't be bitching about it if they had gotten it on he first and second release. This is how it all works.

« Reply #244 on: April 17, 2012, 10:09:02 AM »

sinsandman

• Extraordinaire
  • Sinister
You are absolutely right, Decks. That is why I'm irritated about the whole thing. In addition, their customer service...I emailed Syd a couple days ago and got a reply last night. I asked about getting a couple decks signed. He replied with a "yes" and even remembered that I did not get a signed Clip Joint when I asked and he is throwing in a free signed Clip Joint without my asking...so maybe their customer service is good? I would say so.
On the other side of the coin...if I were in a boat and a shark was making waves around me, I would rather kill that shark than feed it.
Magical as Sin!

« Reply #245 on: April 17, 2012, 10:15:18 AM »

DeckOfCards

• Discourse Veteran
You are absolutely right, Decks. That is why I'm irritated about the whole thing. In addition, their customer service...I emailed Syd a couple days ago and got a reply last night. I asked about getting a couple decks signed. He replied with a "yes" and even remembered that I did not get a signed Clip Joint when I asked and he is throwing in a free signed Clip Joint without my asking...so maybe their customer service is good? I would say so.
On the other side of the coin...if I were in a boat and a shark was making waves around me, I would rather kill that shark than feed it.
Syd is probably one of the nicest person I've met in the the line of customer service, without fail he is. I asked him if he could help me combine shipping for two different orders, he said yes.

« Reply #246 on: April 17, 2012, 10:19:44 AM »

phantom1412

• Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
From my experienced of contacting with D&D customer service.
Syd is the one who always answer my emails. And he is very kind.
There was sometime he forgot that I asked for D&D to sign my v6.
But I think it's because he was busy with huge amount of orders.

« Reply #247 on: April 17, 2012, 10:33:14 AM »

sinsandman

• Extraordinaire
  • Sinister
Dang, I made 2 different orders for the MC2. Maybe I should ask about that combined shipping. Anyway. Syd is quite possibly the best customer service rep in the card industry.

Best owner in the way of accommodating and customer service goes to Lance
Magical as Sin!

« Reply #248 on: April 17, 2012, 10:55:45 AM »

eggman

• Elite Member
This is not a critique on anyone going after DandD business practices. Yes, I do like there cards and managed to get some magicconv2. I do not like how they seem to cater more to resellers than collectors when it is the collectors who really keep them going (in the end). I am wondering if at this point in time does anyone think DandD will alter there business practices? I like what people are doing, that is , voicing there opinion to the company but since there company is where it is I see little hope in change. I do like how they are directly responding to a couple people but I think that will fade off soon enough. When I was living in MA. we went after a company that was dumping PCB's near a playground with success. I am not comparing the two, just wondering if anyone thinks DandD will actually make any changes.

« Reply #249 on: April 17, 2012, 11:31:00 AM »

sinsandman

• Extraordinaire
  • Sinister
I doubt they will, Egg. I base my statement off the following;

Nearly every deck they have released on their own has sold out quickly. The S&M series and MC especially. The other decks are other peoples in essence. It is a "if it ain't broke don't fix it" kind of deal here. Why would they? If they put out the V7 and it took forever to sell out, they then might take a step back and think about changing. How likely is that? I predict a one day sell out there.

Onto the boycott to change idea. Also ineffective. As previously stated, 37,000 + fb fans alone. Even if their US fans dropped off, I am somewhat sure their international fanbase could support repeat sell outs. I, for one, will continue to buy. I am buying a product I like, not a company. Therefore, if people want to vow off D&D, I am all for it. Maybe that will allow me 2 minutes instead of 1 to check out lol. Also, the ones complaining now are more than likely the ones who have complained before. At that point a company will start seeing that individual's words as mute. It is typically the ones who break silence or counter previous praise whos words are heard. Every company has consistent haters and they will stay hating. If someone who gives props and supports a company turns and says "hey, you guys really messed up here." they will be more likely to be heard than someone who does not but bitch.

These guys appreciate their fans and have proven that. Granted I am going off my own experiences with them. But do they "need" the handful that are disgruntled enough to boycott? Nope. So...long winded post, but my opinion and answer to your question is "no" lol :t11:
Magical as Sin!