WalMart - Good, Bad or Ugly?

Author (Read 7345 times)

Re: WalMart - Good, Bad or Ugly?
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2013, 11:01:29 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
I live in New York - a big city, not easily "crushed" by big-box discounts stores.  Many neighborhoods petition against them because of the traffic they would create.  But I've seen smaller towns all over the country where all kinds of shops just vanish right off the map, shops and even chains that provided not just goods and services to the community, but also a decent, livable wage to their employees with benefits that offer at least some measure of security in an uncertain world.

That happened were I live. Lowes and Depot killed just about all the other hardware stores around. We had a hardware store downtown that started in 1914. It was family owned the whole time. It shut down in 2004. They're building condos there now.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2013, 11:23:39 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I live in New York - a big city, not easily "crushed" by big-box discounts stores.  Many neighborhoods petition against them because of the traffic they would create.  But I've seen smaller towns all over the country where all kinds of shops just vanish right off the map, shops and even chains that provided not just goods and services to the community, but also a decent, livable wage to their employees with benefits that offer at least some measure of security in an uncertain world.

That happened were I live. Lowes and Depot killed just about all the other hardware stores around. We had a hardware store downtown that started in 1914. It was family owned the whole time. It shut down in 2004. They're building condos there now.

There's only a few hardware stores left in my old neighborhood besides Home Depot, back when I lived just north of the city.  The only thing keeping them afloat are the people who are fed up with shopping in understaffed stores employing people with inadequate training dispensing advice that's no better than guesswork - and the long register lines.  Those people go to the few hardware shops left.  There's also some supply shops around here because of the high concentration of contractors - they're selling close enough to wholesale that they're able to stave off big-box stores, but only if you're buying contractor grade in contractor quantities.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2013, 08:51:12 AM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
So one of my higher ups recently told me since I was getting full time hours to talk to my manager and switch to full time and I could get benefits. I don't stock fast enough in his opinion so he decided to cut my hours. I know will be getting 32 per week instead of the 40 I am use to. roughly $280 less per month. :(
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2013, 09:08:29 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
So one of my higher ups recently told me since I was getting full time hours to talk to my manager and switch to full time and I could get benefits. I don't stock fast enough in his opinion so he decided to cut my hours. I know will be getting 32 per week instead of the 40 I am use to. roughly $280 less per month. :(

Wait - so someone higher up in the company says, "You're working full time, so ask your manager to switch you to full time."  Your manager responds with an excuse and a cut in your hours?  That's bullshit, pure and simple.  If your work was inadequate, why did he wait until you requested full time status to tell you - and why keep you on staff in the first place?  If I had an underperforming employee, I wouldn't cut his hours, I'd fire him, period.  He's doing this because he has orders from someone above him to keep you and the rest of your fellow drones without benefits.

WalMart - great prices, shitty policies towards its workers.

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2013, 10:41:09 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I've been watching this thread, so excuse the mini rant, lol

I think the problem with companies like Walmart (and many others) is that it's not just incompetent floor managers, it goes up the chain. Their ladder is filled with "Handlers" not managers. They don't manage, they keep the numbers/employees in check. My wife is in the medical field and it;s no better, her immediate sup was a "Handler" his job was the bottom line, he took advantage of peoples fear of unemployment and used it against them, used any small discretion to keep from giving out raises, but fail to remember that you offer to cover shifts to avoid being short handed at a moments notice. I think a lot of Big Box stores do the same thing....not to offend anyone, but they know that if you don't like it, there is someone else who will fill your shoes over night, but the worst part, as Don stated, their to lazy to actually fire you and have to go through that process, so they string you along as long as they can or until your finally fed up.

The problem with many companies is that they aren't concerned with building a strong team/organization from the ground level. I used to work for a very large advertising company and I remember sitting in meetings with upper management when looking for new sales associates to better "Grow" the business. There mentality was insane, they would actually adhere to this type of reasoning "Give him whatever he asks for, if it doesn't work out in a month we'll just get rid of him" so rather than look for the right people they just keep putting band aids on it and keeping the "Hiring Funnel" full. Oddly enough, when they do have the right people they and many companies do everything they can to keep you "In your place".....Handlers.

You couldn't be more accurate in your middle class statement Don, it's disappearing, if it exists at all anymore. It's a struggle for me, I can only imaging what my kids are going to go through. Things have definitely changed, a college education is a 50/50 proposition at best for guaranteeing anything and being with a company for 30,40. 50 years and retiring, just unheard of....unless your at the top of the food chain of that company.

We've turned into a disposable uncaring society and in a way we're to blame, but that doesn't excuse the business practices of these companies.

« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2013, 05:26:43 PM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:

Wait - so someone higher up in the company says, "You're working full time, so ask your manager to switch you to full time."  Your manager responds with an excuse and a cut in your hours?  That's bullshit, pure and simple.  If your work was inadequate, why did he wait until you requested full time status to tell you - and why keep you on staff in the first place?  If I had an underperforming employee, I wouldn't cut his hours, I'd fire him, period.  He's doing this because he has orders from someone above him to keep you and the rest of your fellow drones without benefits.

WalMart - great prices, shitty policies towards its workers.

They had mentioned my performance earlier. You get 3 strikes at walmart. I have them all. I actually talked to the stores manager about the last one since I believe it was given unfairly and we have an open door policy. I am going to mention this to him as well.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2013, 11:51:02 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
..but the worst part, as Don stated, their to lazy to actually fire you and have to go through that process, so they string you along as long as they can or until your finally fed up.

It's the preferred method, because your unemployment insurance doesn't kick in if you quit rather than being "laid off" for non-specific reasons.  Only in cases with firm, provable, just cause or theft will they be eager to terminate someone.  So if you cut someone's hours back enough, it's practically like they're not even employed - most people take the hint and start looking for work elsewhere.  Also, if they keep people on who are only somewhat incompetent but are still of use to them, slashing them to part time gives them room to increase their hours should it suddenly become convenient for the company.

Really, when you boil it down to brass tacks, it's always about what's more convenient for the company, rather than the people who actually work for the company on the front lines in retail operations.  This thinking is great for the shareholders and the bottom line, but it involves treating people like disposable, ephemeral commodities, to be used up and cast aside.

In contrast, a company like Apple makes a serious effort to make their employees happy.  They're paid better than in most retail positions and many of them aren't even directly involved in sales - they're focused on the customer experience, the thing that keeps people coming back.  Compare your experience in an Apple store to your experience in a WalMart - I'm willing to wager you enjoyed the Apple experience far more.

This, right here, is the biggest thing all of the big box retailers seem to forget.  An experience like the one in an Apple store happens because they create positions employees WANT to keep, rather than HAVE to keep.  The staff is happier, they help make the customers happier, and happy customers are more likely to spend than unhappy ones.  (Having good products doesn't hurt, either.)  That kind of experience is very difficult to replicate.  On the other hand, the only thing needed to replicate a WalMart is another big box company operated just like WalMart.  The barrier to entry at that level is enormous, but certainly not impossible.  One CEO of one out-of-country retail giant deciding to expand into the US could be all it takes.  WalMart's efficiencies of scale are nothing new and not impossible to replicate - certainly not as difficult as copying an Apple experience.

WalMart spends a lot of time and effort squashing unionization in their stores.  Company-wide, Apple probably spends about as much as I do on union dues to do the same.  Why so little?  When everyone's happy with their work and gets treated like human beings, who wants to bother with a union?  Imagine what would happen if instead of blowing money on legal actions and union breakers, WalMart took the same amount of cash and spent it on improving the lives of their employees...

I'm the last person to knock a union - I've held a decent-wage position for nearly 23 years now with the same company, something that practically no one employed today in the US can say unless they or a family member owns the business.  I lived in South Florida in '89 and '90 and saw the same position I'm working in today - I had a couple of uncles in the same industry.  Florida is an "open shop" state, meaning that by law, a union can't force an employer to have all of its employees join the union - this weakens unions tremendously, taking away one of their strongest bargaining chips, which is why, aside from the Teamsters, unions are nearly non-existent in Florida.  Those guys down there, doing the same job I started doing in New York City in '91, earned about half the pay and virtually no benefits to speak of.  Technically, it's like I was making triple what they were because my benefits were worth (and still are worth) about 50% of my salary.  I'm almost afraid to inquire what they're making now - my memory of working in South Florida was that very few employers actually gave a crap about their employees, with a great number of companies using the "take it or leave it" attitude that strips so many of their humanity and basic dignity.  The bigger or more successful the company, the more they tended to treat you like dirt.

They had mentioned my performance earlier. You get 3 strikes at walmart. I have them all. I actually talked to the stores manager about the last one since I believe it was given unfairly and we have an open door policy. I am going to mention this to him as well.

If there is one thing that I learned as an employee, it's that if ever an unfair event comes up that's likely to tarnish your record and affect your rank or earning power, protest it IMMEDIATELY while it's fresh in people's minds.  The longer you wait, the more details that get forgotten until eventually all anyone sees is the tarnished record.  It's like the expression, "History is written by the victors." (I'm paraphrasing, but you get the gist of it.)  Did the US and its allies do terrible things to their enemies in World War II?  Sure they did, but most of them get swept under the carpet and forgotten because those enemies lost - all most people know of is the atomic bomb and Japanese internment camps.  In the case of your record, if you lay down and let management win the argument of what was right and fair, they write the history in your record with no mitigating input from you to soften the blow or alter the outcome.

« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2013, 11:53:59 PM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
yea, it happen less then a week ago, I just have to wait to the stores manager is there, I have to catch him in the morning.

UPDATE: The other night manager decided last night to offer me maitnence, skip the trial period and give me the job offer. Full time, extra 50ยข, and benefits. The assistant manager tonight was actually a fellow magi and he has done shows, and did some managing for some bands back in the day, he took my card and is going to see if he hears of anything I might be able to do. So all in all great night.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 03:29:55 PM by John B. »