You are Here:
NEW DECK - Blue Apollo

Author (Read 6985 times)

NEW DECK - Blue Apollo
« on: June 16, 2012, 10:29:38 AM »

vmagic

I don't have any pics or any info other than I asked Jason at the1eyedjack what new decks he would be getting soon and this is one that he mentioned. I assume it will be a blue version of the previously released Bicycle Apollo deck but I don't know for sure.

Re: NEW DECK - Blue Apollo
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 10:38:41 AM »

bmpokerworld

• Elite Member
Yes it is the blue Apollo decks. They should be shipping out sometime next week.
Thanks!

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 03:23:22 PM »

bmpokerworld

• Elite Member
Here is a picture of the new Bicycle Apollo deck Box:

http://pic.twitter.com/T8ir7t9X

Thanks!

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 03:24:15 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I wasn't a fan of the red version but this blue version does look pretty nice!

Any idea when they'll be for sale?

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 03:32:49 PM »

bmpokerworld

• Elite Member

Probably in about 2 weeks. They are suppose to ship out next week.
Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 04:11:04 PM by bmpokerworld »

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 04:11:21 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
do you know what the price will be? I like the blue.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 07:27:01 PM »

bmpokerworld

• Elite Member
I am not a 100% certain yet, but they should be $9.95 per deck.
Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 07:27:14 PM by bmpokerworld »

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 08:28:49 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
This color looks very profound and interesting to me. I don't know why but it reminds me of a "blue ice" name. It looks very nice. Can't wait!

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2012, 01:49:39 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I wasn't big on the red design, and I can't imagine the blue deck will be all that different since the box appears to have the same design.  Pass.

Do you guys remember that the backs of the cards don't match the back of the box, assuming this release is simply the red deck done in blue?
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2012, 01:57:20 AM »

K

• Discourse Veteran
  • Card for me maybe?
The blue one is just a money making scheme... it's like recolouring an orange blue and selling it because people prefer the colour. It's still an apollo deck and it still has the word sun infront, still sun themed... just blue.. unless they did a deck about the moon or something I'll pass..
Stalking the forums, I'm in that corner!

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2012, 02:35:07 AM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
The blue one is just a money making scheme... it's like recolouring an orange blue and selling it because people prefer the colour. It's still an apollo deck and it still has the word sun infront, still sun themed... just blue.. unless they did a deck about the moon or something I'll pass..

You make it seem like this company is doing something way out of the ordinary.
And that makes no sense to me.  ALL of the companies do this. ....
D&D - Smoke and mirrors, Plaids
T11 - Centurions, Monarchs, deck1, the titanium decks
E - Arcane, Artifice, Masters, Ghost, Black Tiger,
The Blue Crown - Crown Decks
HOPC - NOC
BigBlindMedia - all of their decks
David Blaine - the multiple different sets of SPlit Spades

and a lot of other artist release 2(or more) decks that are different colors..
The Seasons
The New Fan Backs
Bicycle Vision
Actuators
Dragon Backs
Raider
Transducer
etc.. etc.. etc..
and let's not forget the crazy amount of color variations of Tally-Ho, Bee, and Bicycle RiderBacks

This is the way it been since the custom cards craze started.. I think it was E with the Black Tigers... but wait.. this one has red in it!  OOoooOooo

So.. if you're going to condemn one.. you have to condemn them all.

But I'm pretty sure quite a few of us will be lining up for the next release on White Monarchs, and the V& from d&d

Just color variations with small changes

CBJ

I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

Also, follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2012, 06:00:30 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

You make it seem like this company is doing something way out of the ordinary.
And that makes no sense to me.  ALL of the companies do this. ....
D&D - Smoke and mirrors, Plaids
T11 - Centurions, Monarchs, deck1, the titanium decks
E - Arcane, Artifice, Masters, Ghost, Black Tiger,
The Blue Crown - Crown Decks
HOPC - NOC
BigBlindMedia - all of their decks
David Blaine - the multiple different sets of SPlit Spades

and a lot of other artist release 2(or more) decks that are different colors..
The Seasons
The New Fan Backs
Bicycle Vision
Actuators
Dragon Backs
Raider
Transducer
etc.. etc.. etc..
and let's not forget the crazy amount of color variations of Tally-Ho, Bee, and Bicycle RiderBacks

This is the way it been since the custom cards craze started.. I think it was E with the Black Tigers... but wait.. this one has red in it!  OOoooOooo

So.. if you're going to condemn one.. you have to condemn them all.

But I'm pretty sure quite a few of us will be lining up for the next release on White Monarchs, and the V& from d&d

Just color variations with small changes

CBJ

Well, there is a bit of a difference in the comparisons you were just making - it's not fair to lump them all into the same category.  I'll go over them to the best of my abilities.  Please correct me if you spot any factual errors in my lists.

First of all, I'm not going into great depth on the Bees.  CARC cranks them out like the Franklin Mint makes tchotchkes that end up as dust collectors.  T11 made the two Stingers decks, USPC themselves released a few different models, mostly variations on the Diamond Back.

Tally Ho - there's not a whole lot of Tally Ho variations.  One guy made the Circle and Fan backs in black.  There's the Titaniums (Circle backs only) and the Vipers (Circle backs recently discontinued, Fan backs only).  There's the "Platinum Edition" (Maeda's Green deck, Circle back only).  There's the gold-bordered red and blue decks (Circle backs only), and the Maeda versions of those two decks PLUS a light-blue backed deck (also Circle backs only).  And THAT'S IT - there are no more variations released in a good number of years based on the Tally Ho design.  So you can't exactly say they're flooding the market in any way, shape or form.  I really wish there were, since it's my favorite deck and a true New York original.

Bicycle - there's just too much out there in regard to the entire plethora of colors.  But remember, in the earlier days of this wave of collecting, those were the most commonly found variant decks, and the cool stuff didn't come until later.  I'd need an encyclopedia to track all the whacked out colors - but bear in mind that many of those decks were made by different companies.  I can think of at least a half-dozen different firms involved in making the various Bicycle Rider Back colors.  Some of these decks were specifically intended to be used as magic props or flourishing-specific decks, so it's hard to include those.

Take note of the decks appearing in red.  They're the instances that most of us were referring to - cases where a new color was put forth and called a new version or design.  You'll notice that those decks comprise a pretty small number of the examples you offered above.

DECKS THAT CAME OUT IN MORE THAN ONE PRINTING WITH IDENTICAL CARDS AND ALTERED BOXES

Deck:ONE Industrial Edition
Bicycle Titanium, both colors, version 1 and 2

DECKS THAT HAD BOTH OR ALL COLORS RELEASED AT THE SAME TIME (or very close to it)

Some and Mirrors, versions 1 through 3
Vintage Plaid/U.S. Regulation
Bicycle Titanium, versions 1 and 2 (they fit here as well)
Bee Titanium
Tally Ho Titanium
Bicycle Centurions (I think)
Arcane (I think)
Bicycle Black Tiger
Tally Ho Viper
Artifice versions 1 and 2
Bicycle Masters (blue and red)
Crown Decks versions 1 and 2
NOC (all five colors)
Split Spades Lions
Seasons
Bicycle New Fan Backs (black and white)
Bicycle Raider

DECKS THAT HAD NEW COLORS RELEASED AS A NEW VERSION OR MORE THAN A LITTLE TIME AFTER THE FIRST

Monarchs
Bicycle Ghost/Black Ghost
Smoke and Mirrors, versions 4 through the upcoming 7
Bicycle Vision
Bicycle Actuators
Bicycle Dragon Backs
Black Crown Deck - though one could argue the metallic inks makes them different from the originals
and now, Bicycle Apollo

DECKS WHOSE SUBSEQUENT EDITIONS WERE DIFFERENT DESIGNS FROM THE ONES PRECEDING IT

Bicycle Transducer series (Aqua, Lava, Fire and the still-unreleased Night Sakura)

SPECIAL CASES

Big Blind Media - Bicycle/Karnival series: the second deck, Karnival Midnight, was pretty much a reverse coloring of the first deck, Karnival - but all the decks after that had unique designs.  The recent limited editions in foil boxes could be counted more as reprints/revivals, with the exception of Bicycle Karnival Dose Redux, because they're practically identical to the original release except for the ad cards/gaffs.  Were it not for the box, we'd simply be calling it a second printing.

Split Spades (original Tally Ho version and Bee version): so the backs of all of these decks were largely identical in design.  Granted.  But the initial release was done with Tally Ho stock and faces (aside from the altered courts) and the second release was done with Bee stock and faces (with a DIFFERENT set of altered courts).  (The faces are pretty much identical on Tally Ho and Bee decks, but they do have unique jokers and AoS between them.)  Compare them with Split Spades Lions, which have an altered back design with a unique AoS and jokers and "Bicycle Standard" faces with a THIRD set of altered courts.  Each progressive release had more altered courts than the one before it.  So while they're pretty similar, I'd say they're adequately different enough from each other to qualify as different designs and not just different colors of the same design.

Bicycle Shadow Masters: yes, there were Masters decks in red and blue preceding this deck.  However, this deck's design, while sharing many characteristics of the original releases, was actually modified enough in design that it doesn't really qualify as simply being "another Masters color".  The shadowing added to all the cards in the deck made this a different deck, not quite the same as the first.

------------------

In all of this, the biggest thing we're bothered by, at this point in the collecting game, are decks that simply get a color tweak and VOILA, a new version is here!  Back in the days of multicolored Bicycle decks, we might have thought this was cool - but these days, it's just lazy.  Take the original art files, do some fairly simple color substitutions, and in less time than it takes the delivery boy to arrive with your pizza or your moo goo gai pan, you've just made the next version of the (fill-in-the-blank) deck.  Anyone with a little basic knowledge of how Photoshop works could have this recoloring done in minutes, not months - at the most, it's done in under an eight-hour shift.

Color-changed decks are nice, to a point.  If we didn't have blue Apollo to go with the red one, we'd need another deck for playing poker, right?  But if that's the artist's intent, just do it either all at once or in a short time span, and don't drag it out over a few years of many different "versions" which are nothing more than recolorations.  "We've seen that deck - what else have you got, or did you become a one-hit wonder all of a sudden?"
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 06:10:58 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2012, 07:19:49 AM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen

i think the red version card box does look very nice too .. but the card back does not look really well .. i am not really sure about the blue but i think the concept will be pretty similar

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2012, 08:30:36 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

i think the red version card box does look very nice too .. but the card back does not look really well .. i am not really sure about the blue but i think the concept will be pretty similar

Yeah, I'm one of those collectors who is more interested in the cards than the box...  I actually like to OPEN the box (gasp!)...

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2012, 02:04:57 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:

Yeah, I'm one of those collectors who is more interested in the cards than the box...  I actually like to OPEN the box (gasp!)...

same, what I consider my collection is all open decks.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2012, 04:05:54 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Personally, I don't mind color changes on decks. Although some people think of it as a cheap excuse to get money, not only may it improve the look of the deck, but it may also help magicians improve their color-changing deck routines. Those are a killer!
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2012, 12:42:56 AM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
I don't mind color changes in decks as long as that's not the only element the company focuses on. For example, T11 has done it more than once, but they continue to produce a variety of different decks regularly, so that doesn't bother me.

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2012, 02:37:00 AM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen
starting to wonder .. will the court card and joker have those blue flames around them like the red apollo deck ?

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2012, 03:32:05 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
starting to wonder .. will the court card and joker have those blue flames around them like the red apollo deck ?

I'm inclined to say yes.  In situations like these, usually it's only the colors that change, not the design.

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2012, 11:29:58 AM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen

I'm inclined to say yes.  In situations like these, usually it's only the colors that change, not the design.
wow that is pretty disappointing .. i do not really like the apollo pips .. and i also think the design they did in the red deck is very noticeable .. i guess for this deck i will just have to display it box

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2012, 09:34:05 AM »

bmpokerworld

• Elite Member
These are shipping out to us today and we should have them in stock by Monday.
Thanks!

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2012, 01:58:00 PM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 02:01:04 PM by CBJ »
  I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

Also, follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2012, 02:14:54 PM »

MSimonart

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
CBJ, link doesn't work for me. It comes to a page, where you can't see the sale. With the words in red. Do you know what I mean?  :P

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2012, 02:19:48 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
Works for me! Only 2,500 printed, that's pretty cool! I've noticed the courts are red. Were they also red on the red Apollos?

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2012, 02:20:53 PM »

bmpokerworld

• Elite Member