You are Here:
Suggestions and competition -Carpathia Deck

Author (Read 2353 times)

Suggestions and competition -Carpathia Deck
« on: August 05, 2012, 09:22:33 AM »

CarpathiaTeam

Hello
The competition will be held at 8 am tomorrow (EST) and you will get Carpathia Deck, Gold monarch , Titanic Box...
Do you like Carpathia Deck? If you have any better suggestions, please send me a message. I would love to make the deck more beautiful. Once such suggestions are adopted, you will get a free Carpathia Deck.
I have changed my Facebook, please watch for updates: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Carpathia-Team/155152251275083
Good Luck!
Thank you
Charle
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 09:56:25 AM by CarpathiaTeam »

Re: Suggestions and competition -Carpathia Deck
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 11:24:23 AM »

max

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
hi Charle,

Would you mind to be so kind to clarify something I don't understand. I thought the deck was already in the printing proccess but you are asking for suggestion to improve the design so I have no idea at this point which is exactly the actual moment of this deck.

thanks!

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 11:44:31 AM »

CarpathiaTeam

hi Charle,

Would you mind to be so kind to clarify something I don't understand. I thought the deck was already in the printing proccess but you are asking for suggestion to improve the design so I have no idea at this point which is exactly the actual moment of this deck.

thanks!

Can I please uspc change design, no problem.
Thank you

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 10:29:34 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Everthing it good as far as the marine theme goes. I do have one suggestion though. I might want to advise creating a more intricate Joker. Usually, cardists love Jokers that are stand out from the crowd. I'm not asking you to redo your entire Joker, just maybe add some complimentary details to the dolphin or in the background. I like the idea of the reveal and the company's name in the dolphin too!

hi Charle,

thanks!

I get you there Max!
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 11:46:47 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Everthing it good as far as the marine theme goes. I do have one suggestion though. I might want to advise creating a more intricate Joker. Usually, cardists love Jokers that are stand out from the crowd. I'm not asking you to redo your entire Joker, just maybe add some complimentary details to the dolphin or in the background. I like the idea of the reveal and the company's name in the dolphin too!

hi Charle,

thanks!

I get you there Max!

I'll take KPop's suggestion one further and ask: why dolphins?  The Titanic sank in near arctic conditions - dolphins don't live that far north.  Whales might have come closer to appropriate, but, since this is a deck about the HMS Carpathia - why not simply use the HMS Carpathia on the jokers?  You can even give one of them a card reveal, either in the ship's wake in the water, or in the smoke billowing out into the sky.  Or both, if you're feeling whacky.  One on each would be an interesting concept, actually.

And how are ANY changes possible if you're already printing?  Or are you already printing?  And can I take your last statement to mean that you're using USPC, and that while they have "finished" files, they're allowing late changes to the project?
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 08:06:47 AM »

CarpathiaTeam

Contest : Please guess what is the positive pips. of the S & M v2 Deck ,for example, the (club7... ) , and you likes Carpathia Team Facebook page .
The first person who gives the correct answer will receive three Carpathia Deck+Titanic Boxes.
Good Luck!
 page :http://www.facebook.com/pages/Carpathia-Team/155152251275083

I have asked uspcc to print the Carpathia Deck samples , and I will upload in-kind photos this week.
Thank you for your suggestion. I will modify the Back to make the white side narrower .

Thank you
Carpathia Team

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 11:07:20 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
I have a feeling this team is disregarding all of the suggestions we throw at them. Or, it is just a language barrier? They better do something soon. I'm getting restless with the "No-Feedback" deal.
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 09:01:28 AM »

CarpathiaTeam

Correct answer: K of diamonds. Congratulate Julien Campy on winning 3 CarpathiaDeck +1 Titanic Box.
I sincerely ask for your opinions on samples. The samples of Blue-Black Back will be printed in Sweden. There are two kinds of alternative paper.
a. German black-core three-layer paper for gambling houses
b. Two-layer paper (like Absolute Vodka Deck)
Which kind of paper will I use?
In addition, I will announce the high-definition design drawing of Clubs J, Q and K later today.
Have a nice day!
Carpathia

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 09:02:34 AM »

CarpathiaTeam

I have a feeling this team is disregarding all of the suggestions we throw at them. Or, it is just a language barrier? They better do something soon. I'm getting restless with the "No-Feedback" deal.

No, I'm thinking of everyone's advice.

And wait for samples

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 09:16:01 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Correct answer: K of diamonds. Congratulate Julien Campy on winning 3 CarpathiaDeck +1 Titanic Box.
I sincerely ask for your opinions on samples. The samples of Blue-Black Back will be printed in Sweden. There are two kinds of alternative paper.
a. German black-core three-layer paper for gambling houses
b. Two-layer paper (like Absolute Vodka Deck)
Which kind of paper will I use?
In addition, I will announce the high-definition design drawing of Clubs J, Q and K later today.
Have a nice day!
Carpathia

Every deck made at USPC is made with a two-layer cardstock, held together with graphite-infused adhesives to make the card opaque enough to prevent the suit and value from being read through the back under the light.

If your stock can do that, it ought to be fine.

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2012, 10:29:47 AM »

CarpathiaTeam

Design Clubs of JQK.

I will be again held Contest in next week.

Good Luck!

Carpathia.

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2012, 10:37:07 AM »

redtank151

• True Member
  • Something Funny here

• YouTube:
I will try my best to get this deck just because that king is holding a French Horn, I play for the finest community Wind Orchaestra in Singapore, of course no where near world class. I love the court cards holding instruments! I've been waiting for a deck like this. Slamming 2 of my most favourite hobbies ever together.

Although if I may make a suggestion, if the court cards could be playing the instruments instead of just holding them, that would be great, also make them the correct proportion. Last time I checked a French horn was not that small compared to my hand. The clarinet is about right though.
Something even more funny here

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2012, 10:47:17 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Now
Design Clubs of JQK.

Good Luck!

Carpathia.

Now I'm REALLY not seeing the connection to the HMS Carpathia.  Wind instruments for the guys, wine glasses for the queen?

The theme seems to be not quite connected with the design.  It could be just another random deck.  It has less to do with the Carpathia than Bicycles have to do with swimming pools.

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2012, 10:52:51 AM »

CarpathiaTeam

Now
Design Clubs of JQK.

Good Luck!

Carpathia.

Now I'm REALLY not seeing the connection to the HMS Carpathia.  Wind instruments for the guys, wine glasses for the queen?

The theme seems to be not quite connected with the design.  It could be just another random deck.  It has less to do with the Carpathia than Bicycles have to do with swimming pools.

”Carpathia Deck “ only is Deck  name,
K and J design inspiration comes from the Titanic musician.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 10:54:49 AM by CarpathiaTeam »

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2012, 11:36:34 AM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
Yes, but the name of the deck is usually the theme, especially when it is something concrete. You can't name a deck "zebra" and make it all based on different types of snakes. The images have to fit together and be relevant to the theme of the deck otherwise it'll turn into a jungle. How far are you in the printing/designing stage?

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2012, 08:09:23 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Now
Design Clubs of JQK.

Good Luck!

Carpathia.

”Carpathia Deck “ only is Deck  name,
K and J design inspiration comes from the Titanic musician.

Thanks.

...and where do the dolphins fit in, since the nearest one would have been a few thousand miles away when the Carpathia rescued the Titanic survivors?

A GOOD deck has a coherent theme.  DeckONE Industrial Edition has a mechanical theme.  The Bicycle Americana deck has an Old West theme, with Western archetypical characters and a weathered look.  The Bicycle Shadow Masters are a black deck with shadowed pips.  The Vaudeville deck has a Vaudeville theme, with images of famous magicians of the early 20th century on the kings.  Even something as simple as the NOC deck has a theme: minimalism, with a solid color back and one of the simplest jokers and aces of spades on the market today.

This deck has no coherency to its theme at all.  It's called Carpathia, but there's no image of the Carpathia.  There's a ship's wheel on the back, but it could be from any ship.  There's no life preservers, there's dolphins - a creature nowhere near the Titanic when it went down.  There's court cards holding musical instruments and champagne flutes, which would be better served in a deck called Titanic - or Roaring 20's Party, for that matter.  The courts are basic aside from their accessories.

Without a coherent theme, it looks like someone wanted to pull together a few elements, hang a theme on them and sell a deck to cash in on the market.  I'm sorry but I've seen much better decks to spend my cash on.  The market is growing, but this doesn't mean there's more money in my wallet - it means I get to be (HAVE to be) picky and choosy about what I buy, only getting what I feel are the better decks out there.  This, to me, is not one of them.

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2012, 08:47:14 AM »

CarpathiaTeam

The Carpathia Deck design was inspired by the movie Titanic
The dolphin,Carpathia Joker  is a symbol of peace and love , and the Back design is the rudder and rivets .
J and K are designed by the eight Titanic musicians.

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2012, 08:13:35 PM »

authorXD

The back looks way to similar to the deck 1 by t11 and the face cards look like the artifice face cards... it looks to similar for my taste...

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2012, 01:43:31 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
The Carpathia Deck design was inspired by the movie Titanic
The dolphin,Carpathia Joker  is a symbol of peace and love , and the Back design is the rudder and rivets .
J and K are designed by the eight Titanic musicians.

? ? ?

The Carpathia made a minimal appearance in the movie at best.  The deck would be better served if you called it the Titanic deck (in more ways than one, it would seem)...

The dolphins evoke NOTHING about either the Carpathia or the Titanic.  Titanic sank in frigid, iceberg-riddled waters.  Dolphins couldn't survive such a climate.  "Symbol of peace and love?"  At that point, it's sounding more like the New Age deck...

The Jacks and Kings are modeled after the musicians on the Titanic, who played on as the ship sank.  Why use bog-standard court designs with a musical instrument in its hand instead of the traditional weapons of war?  The musicians wore tuxedos, played from sheet music...

Y'know what?  I surrender.  I've given all the suggestions I can.  If you think you can sell this deck as is, knock yourself out and have a blast with it.  You asked for suggestions, but rather than taking any of them into account, you're simply defending the (in my opinion rather poor) designs and art you've come up with so far.  Try all you want to tie this deck to either ship, but as I see it, the Carpathia inspired nothing but the name, period.

When you really want ideas that can work, come and ask.  Otherwise, this is a waste of my time, and somehow I think I'm not the only one here who thinks so.

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2012, 02:03:54 AM »

redtank151

• True Member
  • Something Funny here

• YouTube:
I have to agree with Don, I am not seeing any suggestions, very good suggestions at that,being taken into consideration, the Carpathia team seems to be asking for suggestions just so that they can explain what the hell each bit of the design means. Sure you might take the Dolphins as a symbol of peace and love, but is it the symbol of the Carpathia or the Titanic? Dolphins did not play a role in the sinking of the Titanic or the rescue of the passengers. And my prejudice as a musician got in the way of my judgement. I just got all excited that the musical instrument I play is on a deck, speaking of which someone should make an orchaestra deck.

Suggestions for the deck which will probably be ignored:
The lack of blue with such a theme in the deck really is kind of a bummer.
Perhaps make the court cards wear life jackets and sailor outfits. Makes sense to me.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 03:26:53 AM by redtank151 »
Something even more funny here