You are Here:
Performing magic with fully custom decks

Author (Read 1337 times)

Performing magic with fully custom decks
« on: September 02, 2012, 10:06:31 AM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
So my question To all the magicians on this site - How often do people freak out when you are using a deck that is not a standard deck? I have only twice had someone accuse me of a trick deck, but when I let them check it out they are once again good with.

To non-magicians, when people perform with a custom deck do you believe its a trick deck?

I want to know because with one of the other decks someone mentioned they preferred just standard faces with different colors. I strongly disagree. I want it fully custom because most of my audience members love to see the art work and beauty of it.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

Re: Performing magic with fully custom decks
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 10:20:48 AM »

Siegismyname

• Discourse Deity
  • Food. Magic. Music
For magic I think that the decks should have recoloured faces at most and a not very suspicious back. I have performed with the White Lions and was praised for having a very nice deck(she was describing the backs). No one has ever suspected the White Lions before. I think that those very custom decks should be left for collection, flourishing or poker night. Some would even argue that being too custom would confuse the player regarding the suits and value of the card.

For magic, having as standard a deck as possible would allow more diversity for the magician(gaff and gimmicks) and less suspicion for the audience.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 10:21:21 AM by Siegismyname »

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 10:26:21 AM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
see i disagree, if I brought one of these decks to play poker with they would say Hell no, to using it. They would assume it had marked backs. For being confused on what suit, leave the red cards red and black cards black, they should be fine then. I love the hornets deck but with gold replacing red and the blue instead of black it just messes with people. Though with my vortex deck, one person asked to check it out. So I let them and they just tell me how nice it looks.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 09:47:12 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
To me, using a full-custom deck has some issues, though they aren't deal breakers.

There's the familiarity factor.  Your audience will recognize standard Bicycle or Arrco faces.  No need to "interpret" anything about it in their heads.  However, this depends on the audience as well.  If I was performing at a party loaded with goths, I could get a Blades or a Karnival and it would look right at home.

There's the art factor.  For any audience, if you whip out a gorgeous, custom deck, they might become so enamored of the deck that they aren't even paying attention to the magic!  But again, there's your audience to consider.  If you're looking at people that haven't even heard of custom decks and have played with standard faces since the dawn of time, they could end up "dazzled" by the flashy cards, but if you deal with a more cosmopolitan audience, few things will phase them.

Now, the biggest factor: the COST/RARITY factor.  Most of those customs are either expensive, rare or both.  Cards wear out, get signed, get torn, get folded and stuffed into mouths, etc. - which deck would you rather trash, a pack of plain Bikes or a costly, sold-out custom job?
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 09:50:05 PM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
see for me personally I take real good care of my decks, and don't do any of those kinds of tricks. If I did I see just using standard bikes. I think as long as your audience can check the deck they are ok with it.

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 10:39:51 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
see for me personally I take real good care of my decks, and don't do any of those kinds of tricks. If I did I see just using standard bikes. I think as long as your audience can check the deck they are ok with it.

I couldn't tell you the number of decks that got mysteriously ruined just by letting a spectator handle them.

A partial list...
Tally-Ho: kid looked through deck BEFORE wiping his hands after eating fried chicken.
Americana: mysterious black line on the edge of a few cards.  Source unknown.
Propaganda: same.
Dose: same.
Tally-Ho Vipers stripper deck: bent corner.
Guardians: dropped on concrete sidewalk, fraying edges.

I can as easily use cheap decks as costly ones, and I don't feel bad about cheap decks getting ruined.  Further, Bicycle Rider Backs have a buttload of gaffs, more than any other design.

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 10:46:18 PM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
hmmmm I guess to each their own, I guess I just don't run into these issues.

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 11:39:08 PM »

DeckReview

• Elite Member

• YouTube:
Well I was never told outright I was using trick cards when performing with the arcanes but my audience did suggest I was.

I only perform with masters now because they don't break apart like standards. They also look the most ordinary. Nobody ever called out on the dope ace of spades.
www.youtube.com/deckreview
The simplist card reviews on youtube

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 12:40:08 AM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
For me it depends on the level of difficulty of the trick. Using a beautiful, custom deck for a simple Jumping Gemini would work fine, but more complicated tricks would usually get suspected by the spectator. So I guess it depends on the performer, audience, and situation.

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 10:00:19 PM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
I have been noticing that I can get people to really enjoy the beauty of the deck, and then I can do a few basic flourishes and they enjoy it.

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 10:46:57 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
I actually like performing with no-name brands. I usually go to a second hand store and pick up a few decks for 50 cents apiece. I've had some people throw me suspicious looks when I use standard rider back, because they're aware of the buttload of gaffs for the deck. But with a beaten up Hoyl deck, I rarely get accused of using a tricked deck.
Cardistry is an entirely different story. The cooler, the better (so long as the handling doesn't suck).
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 12:37:46 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I actually like performing with no-name brands. I usually go to a second hand store and pick up a few decks for 50 cents apiece. I've had some people throw me suspicious looks when I use standard rider back, because they're aware of the buttload of gaffs for the deck. But with a beaten up Hoyl deck, I rarely get accused of using a tricked deck.
Cardistry is an entirely different story. The cooler, the better (so long as the handling doesn't suck).

There's many inexpensive alternatives that would be "not the same old Rider Backs" and at the same time not some precious, rare deck that's a full-custom job and which you would guard with your life (and some might find either unfamiliar or suspect).

A few come to mind:
Bicycle Guardians (either USPC-branded or T11 second version; same low price)
Bicycle WSOP red & black (bonus: they're traditionally cut)
Walgreens Play-Right decks (despite one color being standard-face and the other being jumbo)
Bee (available cheaply in bulk from T11 and elsewhere)
Tally Ho (same as Bee; Circle Back is easier to find - and has a subtle one-way mark!)
Aviator (I think D&D still carry them - smooth finish, quality on par with Bicycle)
Hoyle
Bicycle Limited Edition #2
Bicycle 125th Anniversary (red and blue)
Streamline (also on par with Bikes, and smooth - WalMart carries them for 99c/pack!)
Bicycle Alzheimer's Assoc.
USPC-branded Steampunks in brass and silver
Bicycle Archangels
Bicycle Wounded Warrior
Bicycle Dragon Backs (three colors)
Bicycle Eco Edition
Bicycle Pink Ribbon (current edition)
Bicycle Leaf Backs (red and green)

Every single one of the decks listed above is currently in print, in stock and sold fairly inexpensively.  The range in prices is in the ballpark of 99c up to around $5 a pack, and many are available for a discount in bulk.  Most if not all of these decks are in stock at Wingra Direct (shopbicyclecards.com), a  subsidiary of USPC.

That's a huge amount of variety, all interesting in that they're not Bicycle Standards, and very reasonably priced for performance use - you can wear out or otherwise destroy these decks without crying over how much they cost.  Most have standard USPC faces, though a few are a little more custom and many have unique Aces.