You are Here:
Theory11 Elite Rewards Program

Author (Read 3572 times)

Theory11 Elite Rewards Program
« on: September 22, 2012, 12:09:28 AM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
I'm surprised no one has posted about this program yet. I believe it just launched today, and I have the jist of it below:

Name: Elite Member Initiative

Summary:
- Five ways to earn points.
- Unlimited ways to use them.
- Earn points with every item you purchase, and with four other ways for free.
- Use the points to get rare, exclusive items from The Archive.

Methods to Earn Points:
- Buy anything from theory11 - 10 points per dollar
- Write a published review on any theory11 product - 10 points
- Get your video published in the Media section. - 25 points
- Win a Saturday Night Contest - 1,000 points
- Get your effect published on the Wire - 1,000 points

Rewards:
Signed SOLO Cup - A coffee cup, signed by Michael James! - 750 points
Signed Balloon - A balloon originally used on the set of Detach, signed by Rick Lax. - 750 points
Signed Regeneration - Cards originally used during the filming of Regeneration, signed by Blake Vogt. - 1,500 points
JAQK Red Edition - One JAQK (Red) deck. - 2,500 points
White Monarchs - One deck of White Monarchs - 3,000 points
Propaganda - One Propaganda deck - 3,000 points
Brown Wynns - One deck of Brown Wynns - 3,000 points
White Monarchs Uncut Sheet - One uncut sheet of White Monarchs - 5,000 points
Signed Propaganda - One Propaganda deck signed by Michael Weber, Bill Goodwin, Chad Long, Daniel Garcia, JC Wagner, Dan White, and Max Maven. - 7,500 points
Signed Split Spades - One deck of Split Spades signed by David Blaine, Bill Kalush, Eric Mead, Daniel Garcia, Jason England, Dan White, and Guy Hollingworth. - 7,500 points
Skype Session - A one hour Skype Session with the theory11 creative team. - 7,500 points
Cardistry Training - A one hour private Cardistry Training Session with Andrei Jikh and Michael James - 8,000 points.

*You also get a stainless steel membership card once you have earn 10,000 points.

http://www.theory11.com/elite/
----------------------------------------------------------------------
With that, here are my thoughts. In my opinion, I believe this rewards program is the best between the many others offered on various sights. From theory11, the rewards are amazing, and what's even better is that there are easy ways to get them. Not many sites allow you to have a personal chat, or a learning session with their crew.

What I have a problem with, is the lack of more low-level rewards. Sure, you get a signed cup and a signed balloon for under 1,000 points, but I would much prefer free products with the earned points. I also don't know what version of the Split Spades they are giving out. Looking at the picture, I am assuming it's the blue version. We also don't know how long these rewards will be up. Maybe it only one signed Propaganda or a brick? We don't know. I still really do love the idea of giving people a chance to have a once-in-a-lifetime experience with the theory11 crew.

Another thing that I don't like is that thoery11 only allows your to earn points from the month of September 2012. So, those Black Friday purchases you made a year ago won't do much.

What are your thoughts?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 10:46:23 PM by KPopFever605 »
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

Re: Theory11 Elite Rewards Program
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 02:04:42 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

With that, here are my thoughts. In my opinion, I believe this rewards program is the best between the many others offered on various sights. From theory11, the rewards are amazing, and what's even better is that there are easy ways to get them. Not many sites allow you to have a personal chat, or a learning session with their crew.

What I have a problem with, is the lack of more low-level rewards. Sure, you get a signed cup and a signed balloon for under 1000 points, but I would much prefer free products with the earned points. I also don't know what version of the Split Spades they are giving out. Looking at the picture, I am assuming it's the blue version. We also don't know how long these rewards will be up. Maybe it only one signed Propaganda or a brick? We don't know. I still really do love the idea of giving people a chance to have a once-in-a-lifetime experience with the theory11 crew.

Another thing that I don't like is that thoery11 only allows your to earn points from the month of September 2012. So, those Black Friday purchases you made a year ago won't do much.

What are your thoughts?

My thoughts are that you're not exactly thinking this through...

Yes, in general, the rewards are great - though insanely expensive.  They use "points" to hide just how expensive.  At Ellusionist, you can get a pack of Blue Masters for spending as little as $75.  Here, the cheapest deck, a pack of red JAQKs, would cost $250 in spending.  And why would a "rare" deck such as the Brown Wynns and the White Monarchs have the same spending level, $300, as a pack of Propaganda?  I know for a fact they have none of the original Cincinnati-made Propagandas left - I had an issue with a defective deck and they had to offer me a different brand for a replacement because they were completely out of even the replacement decks they keep around for people who got defective decks.  So these would be Erlanger printings.  A mere $50 more would get you a pack of Black Ghost, 1st Edition at Ellusionist...

The one advantage this program has over Ellusionist is allowing you to bank your points rather than requiring you to accumulate them all in a single purchase with no carry-over.  Whether that's worth it is up to you to decide.

Re your preference for free products over signed items: the signed items ARE free products!  You're paying your points for an item autographed by a prominent performer in the field.  If they aren't to your fancy, save up those points for something more common like a pack of Propaganda reprints...

Re what "version" of the Split Spades are being given out with all those autographs on it: does it freakin' MATTER?  Would you open the deck and take the deck to the playground to show off to the kids?  Autographed items like that would generally be displayed on a wall or desk, not played with, so they could be chartreuse, lavender and puce for all it would matter.  And you seem to be confusing "version" with "color", but either way, the autographed pack in the photo is a Split Spades Lions in blue.  My guess would be they'd all be SS Lions in one of the four box colors that were released: red, blue, black and the sepia box containing blue cards.

Re not being able to accumulate points for past purchases: have you EVER seen ANY company offer people "credit" for sales made nearly a year prior in such a manner during a promotion?  Or are you just high right now and a little confused?  :))  Just how far back would you like them to go - all the way to the day they first opened their doors and started selling?  Not that it matters, since it ain't happening!

My thoughts:

Nice program, nice prizes, way too costly for the prizes being offered.  Points do accumulate, but rather slowly when achieved only through making purchases, which is how most of their customers will be achieving them.

You could try review writing, but that's only going to get you so far - and I get the feeling they're going to be much more selective about what reviews they publish going forward.  Same goes for getting videos posted.  The Saturday night contests are only once a week and not exactly easy to win.  Your best shot at accumulating points fast without spending big bucks would be creating effects that get published on the Wire - so, just how creative are you, really?

And that neato steel membership card?  It'll cost you a THOUSAND BUCKS in merchandise...
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 03:04:01 AM »

chisairi

• Forum Regular
what a nice way to jack up some more money. XD

Signed items...never a fan of those...for all i know..an office lady could fake it and sign it off. I never believe anything signed unless it's face to face.

skype session..really..they can probably schedule it during their lunch break and have it then so they are "making money" during break. nice!

I haven't yet to meet the E's free gifts but it think it's pretty reasonable.

I have DD's membership but honestly. it's a $100 dollar discount card and not a membership. No coupon code would be valid on top of the member discount. to me i think that is very stupid. a "member" should have more benefit than a non member.

I also have Skulkor's member USB card. aside from their bad start i think they way they are pouring out money make it worth it to have the ring but more to come i guess.

the way T11 doing is just not working out for me. nothing rare and nothing special. if 10 000 point gets me to t11 head office and spend a day with them and the card.i would find it interesting i might think about saving up my point. other wise ill redeem it whenever.

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 04:16:45 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
what a nice way to jack up some more money. XD

Signed items...never a fan of those...for all i know..an office lady could fake it and sign it off. I never believe anything signed unless it's face to face.

skype session..really..they can probably schedule it during their lunch break and have it then so they are "making money" during break. nice!

I haven't yet to meet the E's free gifts but it think it's pretty reasonable.

I have DD's membership but honestly. it's a $100 dollar discount card and not a membership. No coupon code would be valid on top of the member discount. to me i think that is very stupid. a "member" should have more benefit than a non member.

I also have Skulkor's member USB card. aside from their bad start i think they way they are pouring out money make it worth it to have the ring but more to come i guess.

the way T11 doing is just not working out for me. nothing rare and nothing special. if 10 000 point gets me to t11 head office and spend a day with them and the card.i would find it interesting i might think about saving up my point. other wise ill redeem it whenever.

This doesn't really have anything to do with D&D's membership card.  T11 uses a rewards system, offering no actual discounts for anything, and you're automatically accumulating points.  Oh, and there's the little detail that it's free of charge to participate, too...  Theoretically, the membership card also allows you exclusive access to products not available to the general public - I seem to recall that the Fulton's Chinatown "Game of Death" edition was a member exclusive.  They've been lax in the past about enforcing that, however, so many non-members got in on the action when a member posted the link to access the sale page and D&D honored the non-member purchases.

The T11 Elite membership card doesn't require cashing in points - it's a bragging-rights item.  "Oh, I'm an elite member - are YOU??"  But aside from looking nice, what it really means is "Oh, I spent over a grand at T11 since 31 Aug 2012..."  To some, that's nothing to brag about!

A reward of a Propaganda deck for buying over $300 of other merchandise doesn't exactly sound like it's worth it.  It makes T11 sound like a "clip joint!"  (hee hee hee)  I don't feel that being able to bank points makes up for the terrible return on investment.  It's not like I won't use those points, but it's not like I'm racing to accumulate them, either.

EDIT: a thought occurs to me.  The program is free and you get free stuff from it over time.  Really, nothing else at that point matters.  It's a frickin' freebie!  Costs you nothing to participate!  Still don't like it?  Then just ignore your points as they build up.

'Nuff said.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 04:22:21 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 04:03:53 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Re your preference for free products over signed items: the signed items ARE free products!  You're paying your points for an item autographed by a prominent performer in the field.  If they aren't to your fancy, save up those points for something more common like a pack of Propaganda reprints...

I know the signed items are free products, but by the term "Free Product" I was saying that theory11 should allow you to spend your points on items from their store. I'd very much prefer to spend 1500 points on any item on my choosing rather than on a signed gaff. Sorry if I didn't make that clear enough earlier.

Re what "version" of the Split Spades are being given out with all those autographs on it: does it freakin' MATTER?  Would you open the deck and take the deck to the playground to show off to the kids?  Autographed items like that would generally be displayed on a wall or desk, not played with, so they could be chartreuse, lavender and puce for all it would matter.  And you seem to be confusing "version" with "color", but either way, the autographed pack in the photo is a Split Spades Lions in blue.  My guess would be they'd all be SS Lions in one of the four box colors that were released: red, blue, black and the sepia box containing blue cards.
To some people, the version does matter. Although you are never going to open the deck, you might still be concerned. For example, would you rather received an autographed Red Split Spades or an autographed Blue Split Spades? With both boxes and signatures being near identical, I would prefer the Red deck simply because the autograph would stick out more. But that's just me.

Re not being able to accumulate points for past purchases: have you EVER seen ANY company offer people "credit" for sales made nearly a year prior in such a manner during a promotion?  Or are you just high right now and a little confused?    Just how far back would you like them to go - all the way to the day they first opened their doors and started selling?  Not that it matters, since it ain't happening!

I know it's a bit silly to give someone points for purchases a few years back. I was just being sarcastic about that. For me, I would have expected theory11 to give us points from at LEAST the purchases made one or two months ago. I would've made many people happier.

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 12:34:57 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I know the signed items are free products, but by the term "Free Product" I was saying that theory11 should allow you to spend your points on items from their store. I'd very much prefer to spend 1500 points on any item on my choosing rather than on a signed gaff. Sorry if I didn't make that clear enough earlier.

So, if you were ordering from Ellusionist and spend over $475, you'd rather be offered some Infinities and Masters instead of the rare decks and Lucite cases that they don't sell on the website?

Dude, it's a freakin' FREEBIE.  You can always save your points for something better or buy the item in question and sell it on eBay or in the STISO to have the cash to buy more T11 stuff with.  Ever hear the expression, "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth?"

To some people, the version does matter. Although you are never going to open the deck, you might still be concerned. For example, would you rather received an autographed Red Split Spades or an autographed Blue Split Spades? With both boxes and signatures being near identical, I would prefer the Red deck simply because the autograph would stick out more. But that's just me.

First, stop saying "version" when what you mean is "color".

Second, what part of "freebie" are you missing here?  They're giving it to you at no extra cost above your purchase, and you want to get fussy about the color of a deck you won't even be opening?  Now you're checking the gift horse's hooves...

If David Blaine himself handed you that blue deck, you sound right now like you'd turn it down and request a red one instead.  I can only imagine the dirty look he'd give you.

Re not being able to accumulate points for past purchases: have you EVER seen ANY company offer people "credit" for sales made nearly a year prior in such a manner during a promotion?  Or are you just high right now and a little confused?    Just how far back would you like them to go - all the way to the day they first opened their doors and started selling?  Not that it matters, since it ain't happening!

I know it's a bit silly to give someone points for purchases a few years back. I was just being sarcastic about that. For me, I would have expected theory11 to give us points from at LEAST the purchases made one or two months ago. I would've made many people happier.

Yes, it's extremely silly.  The points system is meant to spur sales NOW, not months ago - it's too late for that!  The fact that they went all the way back to August 31 was rather surprising to me, since they've had a number of releases since then - all those buyers are getting retroactive credit.  So going back three weeks isn't enough for you?

Now you're grabbing the gift horse by the balls and squeezing...while standing behind it...I hope you have good health insurance...  :))

This program is a GIFT - stop thinking of it as some kind of entitlement.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 12:37:35 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 10:38:13 AM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:
I'd like to point out that in Kpop's most recent collection video, he says the deck he uses the most is his red Split Spades deck that is in fact signed by the man, David Blaine, himself, so thee is a higher chance then you'd think of him opening the deck.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2012, 12:31:12 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
So, if you were ordering from Ellusionist and spend over $475, you'd rather be offered some Infinities and Masters instead of the rare decks and Lucite cases that they don't sell on the website?

Dude, it's a freakin' FREEBIE.  You can always save your points for something better or buy the item in question and sell it on eBay or in the STISO to have the cash to buy more T11 stuff with.  Ever hear the expression, "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth?"

Now, I'm not talking about those higher value rewards. Of course I would pick a Red Artifice over a standard Blue one any day. But what I'm talking about are the smaller rewards. If you won't use the Gold Artifact Coin, wouldn't you like to pick out a few Ellusionist DVD's instead? From theory11, wouldn't you want maybe a few new cardistry DVD's (that are useful) as opposed to just a signed gaff card that you'll only put up for display. Maybe it's just me with that preference.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 12:34:55 PM by KPopFever605 »

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 12:42:10 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I'd like to point out that in Kpop's most recent collection video, he says the deck he uses the most is his red Split Spades deck that is in fact signed by the man, David Blaine, himself, so thee is a higher chance then you'd think of him opening the deck.

True enough, but there are many decks signed by Blaine alone, not so many signed by the cast of characters listed in the offer at T11.  I can't tell you how many Blaine decks I have signed - a fair percentage of all the Blaine decks I own are signed.  And yes, I've opened some.

Now, I'm not talking about those higher value rewards. Of course I would pick a Red Artifice over a standard Blue one any day. But what I'm talking about are the smaller rewards. If you won't use the Gold Artifact Coin, wouldn't you like to pick out a few Ellusionist DVD's instead? From theory11, wouldn't you want maybe a few new cardistry DVD's (that are useful) as opposed to just a signed gaff card that you'll only put up for display. Maybe it's just me with that preference.

Gold Artifact coins trade in the $30-$50 range at any given point in recent history - sell the bloody coin if you don't want it and use the profits to pick your own stuff, from Ellusionist or from anywhere for that matter.  The same goes for gaffs autographed by the magician who created them - magic collectors would definitely pay a premium for them.

When someone gives you a gift, you don't get to be too picky and choosy about what is offered.  You have the freedom in this case to choose from a list of gifts - something not always available to someone receiving a gift.  To do as you suggest would be akin to bringing a "free meal" coupon into an authentic Mexican restaurant and trying to order Tokyo-style ramen or Swedish meatballs or an Ethiopian wat with sponge bread or some other dish from an entirely different continent - you get what's on the menu, that's all, nothing else to choose from.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 12:45:04 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 10:51:07 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Gold Artifact coins trade in the $30-$50 range at any given point in recent history - sell the bloody coin if you don't want it and use the profits to pick your own stuff, from Ellusionist or from anywhere for that matter.  The same goes for gaffs autographed by the magician who created them - magic collectors would definitely pay a premium for them.

When someone gives you a gift, you don't get to be too picky and choosy about what is offered.  You have the freedom in this case to choose from a list of gifts - something not always available to someone receiving a gift.  To do as you suggest would be akin to bringing a "free meal" coupon into an authentic Mexican restaurant and trying to order Tokyo-style ramen or Swedish meatballs or an Ethiopian wat with sponge bread or some other dish from an entirely different continent - you get what's on the menu, that's all, nothing else to choose from.
Fair enough...

Moving along, which of these rewards would you guys reach for. I know not everyone would want a jam session with the best cardists in the art, but which others rewards are you guys yearning for, and hopefully look to reach one day. For me, i'd like to get my hands on that signed Propaganda. Sick!

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2012, 12:31:17 AM »

Siegismyname

• Discourse Deity
  • Food. Magic. Music

Fair enough...

Moving along, which of these rewards would you guys reach for. I know not everyone would want a jam session with the best cardists in the art, but which others rewards are you guys yearning for, and hopefully look to reach one day. For me, i'd like to get my hands on that signed Propaganda. Sick!

Fair enough...

definitely the signed propaganda or Split spades for me.

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2012, 01:02:58 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Hey, Curt (or any other capable mod) - would this topic be better suited for the Magic/Cardistry board, either on its own or merged with the T11 sticky topic there?