You are Here:
New KS Deck - Misc Goods Co by Pedale Design

Author (Read 8683 times)

New KS Deck - Misc Goods Co by Pedale Design
« on: October 02, 2012, 08:21:45 PM »

vmagic

Just stumbled upon this on Kickstarter, looks pretty interesting and is completely custom but a little pricier. And for a change there is something different than dice, they offer a shirt! And this deck is already almost funded!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1537415287/a-deck-of-playing-cards-by-pedale-design

« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 08:24:38 PM by vmagic »

Re: New KS Deck - Misc Goods Co by Pedale Design
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 08:51:12 PM »

Joker and the Thief

• Discourse Deity
  • Joker and the Thief Playing Cards

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
To be honest they do not look half bad. The resemble the sentinels somewhat.
Joker and the Thief

Instagram.com/jokerandthethiefplayingcards

Limited quantities of Joker and the Thief Playing Cards available now! http://amzn.com/B016T869S8

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 08:51:22 PM »

LauR

• Elite Member
This deck reminds me of the ghost deck, mostly black and white, doesn't seem to have much of a theme though

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 08:55:57 PM »

Joker and the Thief

• Discourse Deity
  • Joker and the Thief Playing Cards

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
This deck reminds me of the ghost deck, mostly black and white, doesn't seem to have much of a theme though

It does, more of a secret society/cult deck
Joker and the Thief

Instagram.com/jokerandthethiefplayingcards

Limited quantities of Joker and the Thief Playing Cards available now! http://amzn.com/B016T869S8

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 09:03:38 PM »

Emmanuel

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
To be honest they do not look half bad. The resemble the sentinels somewhat.

I definitely get the Sentinels vibe too, which isn't bad at all. Just saw from the KS video that it will be a USPC deck, but I wonder how many decks will be printed
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 09:08:18 PM by Emmanuel »

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 09:27:30 PM »

lordlupus

• Forum Regular
Me likey. Simple and minimal. Cool looking court cards. I liked the Sentinel design so I guess this deck appeals to me too.

Will be getting some for my collection.

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 09:43:14 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I think the deck is awesome and I love it but the price is too high.

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 11:09:19 PM »

vmagic

Yeah the price is a bit high but it's definitely not the most expensive deck of cards i've ever bought. It seems like he will be printing a minimum amount of decks unless of course he gets a bunch of backers.

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 01:16:39 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
As of now, the deck is in overfunding territory.  It couldn't have been up long; I troll the KS projects looking for deck projects and this didn't show up on my most recent "sweep".

There's no denying that it's a beautiful deck.  But it's expensive AND it's rather impractical.  A plainly one-way back and face cards with indices on lefts corners for some, right corners for others?  It just doesn't work for me.  I could deal with the one-way, but that index issue just doesn't go away.  In some ways it's an homage to decks that existed in the antebellum years immediately following the American Civil War, but there's a REASON why deck designs changed so much since then.  I like the Freemasons-esque vibe, for sure, but that alone isn't enough for me.

It's very plain that this guy's an artist with zero prior experience designing playing cards - this is more of an art project than an attempt at making a serious, practical deck.  Beauty and all, I have to pass on this.

See, this is why fledgling deck designers need to hire a project consultant!  :))
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

My Kickstarter Deck
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 03:22:36 PM »

Pedale Design

• Newcomer
Hey Guys,

I was encouraged by some backers of my KickStarter project to get connected on this forum.

I have received a fare amount of positive and negative feedback on the project, and want to say that I am new to this culture and have a lot to learn.  This deck isn't for everyone, but I thought that I would share it with you guys.

Thanks!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1537415287/a-deck-of-playing-cards-by-pedale-design
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 03:24:00 PM by Pedale Design »

Re: My Kickstarter Deck
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 04:25:57 PM »

Emmanuel

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
Hi Tyler, nice to see you here; welcome to The Discourse!

Just as a head's up, this thread will probably be merged with the existing one about your deck:

http://aethercards.com/discourse/playing-card-plethora/new-ks-deck-misc-goods-co-by-pedale-design/

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2012, 04:59:56 PM »

Pedale Design

• Newcomer
Hey guys I am the designer of the above deck. Don Boyer nailed it. My initial market for the cards was for the casual player ... to be honest, I am just now being introduced to the community at large. I was referencing older decks for inspiration, and wasn't considering competitive card players while initially designing it. Looking back, I would probably change this execution ... but what is done is done. The aesthetic is definitely niche, but its what I am into. Thanks for posting this Vmagic.

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2012, 06:53:38 PM »

vmagic

Sure no problem, glad to help.

Re: My Kickstarter Deck
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2012, 10:11:42 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Hi Tyler, nice to see you here; welcome to The Discourse!

Just as a head's up, this thread will probably be merged with the existing one about your deck:

http://aethercards.com/discourse/playing-card-plethora/new-ks-deck-misc-goods-co-by-pedale-design/

Done and done!

Your deck is a very beautiful one, without doubt.  The art is impressive.  The major issue would be how the indices are on all four corners for the "spot" cards of Ace through 10, while the court cards have only two indices, on opposite corners, but not always the same opposite corners.  It does make holding a hand of cards a bit more difficult without some major rearranging.

The one-way back design is very attractive.  Under most circumstances, card players and magicians tend to prefer either a two-way back design or a one-way back that's very subtly marked and appears two-way at a glance.  But flourishers and collectors can be a bit less particular, especially if the card back is very attractive.  For some collectors, only the box need look nice - they never actually open their decks, happy to collect them and keep them sealed.

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2012, 02:41:12 PM »

sway

• Forum Regular
The deck is gorgeous and unique, indeed. The aesthetics is alluring and I'm sure backing it (and yeah, I'll grab that one nice t-shirt too).

Still, I'm impressed by the amount of attention and backers this project was able to gather (and is still gathering), specially considering the crowded recent scenario on KS.

I noticed this is the only deck allocated into the Graphic Design category, over the traditionally used Board & Card Games category. Can this possibly be the reason for the mentioned phenomenon?

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2012, 03:55:08 PM »

Pedale Design

• Newcomer
Sway, I have been asking my self the same thing. Why is this deck so successful? I don't know. It was featured on uncrate.com ... which has led to 40% of my sales thus far. It also made an impression on some of my favorite designers, and they Retweeted it ... reaching tens of thousands of people.

It is also interesting to me the differences in the design market and the card collectors market. Most collectors have scoffed at the deck being $15 dollars (which I didn't realize this was abnormal until I launched the deck), but the rest of my backers have shown awe in it being so cheap. This is because I come from a community that gladly charges $30 a poster that only displays one illustration. The deck has 20+ illustrations, although small.

I appreciate everyones perspectives. I can't guarantee a second edition that will work for magicians and competitive players ... but it is certainly on my radar.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 03:47:18 PM by Pedale Design »

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2012, 08:59:07 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Sway, I have been asking my self the same thing. Why is this deck so successful? I don't know. It was featured on uncrate.com ... which has led to 40% of my sales thus far. It also made an impression on some of my favorite designers, and they Retweeted it ... reaching tens of thousands of people.

It is also interesting to me the differences in the design market and the card collectors market. Most collectors have scoffed at the deck being $15 dollars (which I didn't realize this was abnormal until I launched the deck), but the rest of my backers have shown awe in it being so cheap. This is because I come from a community that gladly charges $30 a poster that only displays one illustration. The deck has 20+ illustrations, although small.

I appreciate everyones perspectives. I can guarantee a second edition that will work for magicians and competitive players ... but it is certainly on my radar.

Design items generally tend to cost more, true - and playing cards tend to cost less.  I've seen a number of "high design" decks that sold for a multiple of what a custom deck normally does - compared to theirs, yours is actually cheap!

If you want a consultant for design, feel free to ask.  Also, throwing your design on the Design and Development Board will get you many, many minds chiming in.

Congratulations on your astounding success!

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2012, 11:57:04 AM »

Emmanuel

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:

I appreciate everyones perspectives. I can't guarantee a second edition that will work for magicians and competitive players ... but it is certainly on my radar.

Tyler, you have a lot to be proud of --- over 700% funding in just 5 days! Congratulations to you  :D

We certainly hope to see more from you, and $15 for your deck is mighty affordable when it comes to graphic design prints. Are you planning a 5,000 deck print run for this edition?

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2012, 06:03:35 PM »

jhayel84

• True Member
Wow! 700% funding within a few days! I just hope that with this funding the cards will be made in premium stock and finish. I like the simplicity of the cards with intricate design  8) The pricing for a 10 deck pledge  should be upgraded to a brick so customers who pledged for it can also get a custom box! lol

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2012, 04:40:02 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
It's nearly at 800% already...

I've predicted in the NDR that this will quite possibly be the first deck project at KS to break into the six digits and earn over $100,000 in pledges.  I think it could even go much higher, if the present rate of investment continues - maybe even in the $150,000-200,000 range.  I've never seen any deck literally leap off the starting blocks like this one has.

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2012, 11:51:03 AM »

Pedale Design

• Newcomer
If your right Don, I will buy you a beer(s).

Thank you all for the support. Working hard on meeting all of the new demand.

Here's a sneek peek of the Joker card ... still early stages, working hard on it.

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2012, 10:37:51 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
This is a very interesting project. I wonder how many people buying this are "card people" vs regular folk who stumble upon it. It's certainly making me think hard about the pricing of these custom decks that have months of hard labor thrown at them. Certainly, people aren't being shy about throwing $15/deck at this one....

Well done. Perhaps the card market needed an outsider who simply jumped in to show what is possible.
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2012, 12:47:27 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
As of now, the deck is in overfunding territory.  It couldn't have been up long; I troll the KS projects looking for deck projects and this didn't show up on my most recent "sweep".

There's no denying that it's a beautiful deck.  But it's expensive AND it's rather impractical.  A plainly one-way back and face cards with indices on lefts corners for some, right corners for others?  It just doesn't work for me.  I could deal with the one-way, but that index issue just doesn't go away.  In some ways it's an homage to decks that existed in the antebellum years immediately following the American Civil War, but there's a REASON why deck designs changed so much since then.  I like the Freemasons-esque vibe, for sure, but that alone isn't enough for me.

It's very plain that this guy's an artist with zero prior experience designing playing cards - this is more of an art project than an attempt at making a serious, practical deck.  Beauty and all, I have to pass on this.

See, this is why fledgling deck designers need to hire a project consultant!  :))

I have to recant some of what was said here.  Even I was swept up by the attractiveness of the project and kicked in for two decks.  It's still a very impractical deck, but it's no less beautiful for it.

The deck could EASILY be made into something more practical, without a major design overhaul.  It would be as simple as tweaking the court cards, either through flipping the art or making other, more detailed adjustments, so that the corner indices appear in either the left corners OR the right corners, rather than some one way and some the other.

And yes, Paul - this does show what can be done.  But this is no ordinary deck, and it's initial and still-strongest support is coming (I would wager) more from design enthusiasts than from card enthusiasts - first and foremost, I see this as a beautiful DESIGN project, and its category clearly shows the designer's intent in this as well.

BTW: Pedale Design - I don't drink beer (or any alcohol) any more, but maybe I could talk you into a nice steak dinner somewhere here in New York!  :))

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2012, 02:32:30 PM »

Pedale Design

• Newcomer

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2012, 04:20:43 PM »

Pedale Design