You are Here:
My First Custom Deck of Cards - Rage Faces

Author (Read 401 times)

My First Custom Deck of Cards - Rage Faces
« on: November 06, 2012, 08:35:52 PM »

JuhCoby

• Newcomer
Hi everyone,

First off, I'm brand new here, so if I do or say something stupid, please try to be understanding. I've been playing cards for many years, but after browsing through this forum I've determined that I know nothing about the quality and finish of a deck of cards, despite being pretty decent at actually "playing" cards.

One of my favorite pieces of pop culture is rage faces... I'm not sure if people here are familiar with them, but they're all over the internet. I was inspired to design a deck of cards using these faces, each rank having a different face. I went about producing a pack on The Game Crafter, which was fairly straightforward. I'd like to know if anyone else has received cards from them, and what they think of them. I noticed most people here go through Bicycle or some of the other big brands, which I'm sure is far superior compared to The Game Crafter.

Anyway, to the point - I produced this deck more as a novelty, but I'd like to know if well-versed card enthusiasts such as yourselves think they're any good. If you're at all interested, check out the link below and view some of the pictures.

https://www.thegamecrafter.com/games/rage-playing-cards

Thanks again, looking forward to hearing from someone.

JuhCoby

Re: My First Custom Deck of Cards - Rage Faces
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 08:52:45 PM »

vmagic

Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately this deck is not really my cup of tea and I don't know if many others here would be interested in this particular deck especially with all the others coming out all the time.

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 09:10:05 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Ewlcome to the Discourse. I'm with vjose on this one. It's just not a deck that appeals to me.

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 11:51:09 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
JuhCoby, welcome.  Consider using the default font size when not writing headlines!

On your design: the idea itself sounds like it would be a good one, but when you think longer about it and look at the recent history of deck releases, you'd realize that it's not.

There's been two "Internet meme" decks and one similarly-themed "hipster" deck on Kickstarter so far.  All three projects failed by a wide margin - very wide - even with low goal amounts.

You want $12 for a deck that's largely done by cut-and-paste using other's people's work that's about as close to public domain as you're likely to find, while for less people can purchase decks with custom artwork to varying degrees made as part of a designer's vision, even completely custom right down to pip design. 

When you boil it down to brass tacks, people who collect playing cards are largely doing so because they're seen as miniature works of art.  That's not to say that there hasn't been some butt-ugly decks out there, but beauty is one of those things that's somewhat subjective.  This isn't really original art, it's simply imitation of some lowbrow gag material you stumbled across online.  And, while it would be hard to prove and the odds are slim, there's also the chance that the legitimate creator of one of your meme images might actually own a copyright on it - which, whether or not that person's in the right, means hiring a lawyer and finding a way to pay for him and any associated court/legal costs.

Some will indeed pick it up as a novelty, but I don't see this as a big seller by any means.  Don't take this too hard - you're a beginner at this, and most people aren't deemed prodigies right from day one.  But if you want to make a deck that will both appeal to collectors and stand out head-and-shoulders above the competition, you really need to bring skill, style and originality to the table.  This is just not that deck.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 11:52:10 PM »

twiscold

• Forum Regular
cool deck, but also not my cup of tea