New Deck - David Blaine White Lions Gaff Deck

Author (Read 15002 times)

Re: New Deck - David Blaine White Lions Gaff Deck
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2012, 09:08:55 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Yeah, what's with the green and orange stripes?  I'm guessing that the marks aren't simply on the edge of the card but are actually a diagonal line of marks, but are there two different types of marks?
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2012, 11:46:07 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Okay, thanks for the clarification...Now, I think that's genius!
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2012, 12:55:20 AM »

hecrob

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
  • Magically Delicious

• Facebook:
The explanation its simple.

You have 2 ways to tell which card you are holding.

First card the "easy" way which is just by lookin at the left  border of your playing card and locating the "odd" split splade, problem with this one is that the cards 3 - 8, 4 - 9, 5 - 10 and 6 - J  share a marking (each pair). So you end up in a 50/50 situation.

The hard way is through those markings, to read the marking system you need to use the "magic eye" (im not joking, the optical illusion used in this deck its called that way) check on google to see what kind of illusion and how to spot it.
This illusion makes this deck THE MARKED DECK, you need to know which lines are which but after a while (and mixing both ways to read the marking system) you end up just memorizing 4 different patterns.

As you can see on the image the " low values" ( 3, 4 ,5 and 6) run a line from your lower left corner to your upper right corner, if you spot lines running that way you will know what value your card has.

For the High value cards you need to spot diagonal lines running from your upper left corner to your lower right corner.

So taking everything into account to read the marking system i recommend.

1.- Spot your "odd" split spade.
If its an A, K, Q, 7 or a 2 you are safe, since this cards have unique markings and you can jump to step 3

Also 7s and Qs share the same Odd split spade but the 7s have an extra odd split spade, just above the heart suit mark.

2.- If the card its a 3,4,5,6,8,9,10 or a J look for the Diagonals.
Lower left to upper right means its a "low" value, Upper left to lower right means its a high value.

Extra tip:
For an easier time locating the diagonals, start at the "odd splitspade"

3.- Locate the suit marking

4.- Reveal

Hope that helps
Form Follows Function

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2013, 02:09:27 AM »

hecrob

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
  • Magically Delicious

• Facebook:
Sorry for double posting...

But my gaffs arrived a week ago.

They are the same as Don's but my bad got crushed by the leather clip :/

also after close examination some of the gaffs are really good, 3 or 4 are ok and 3 are meh... (of course depending on what you do you could have a different opinion).

So its a great product, very pricey but a great product.

The clip is fantastic the only problem is that modern tuck boxes (embossed ones) really suffer.

Form Follows Function

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2013, 05:42:21 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Sorry for double posting...

But my gaffs arrived a week ago.

They are the same as Don's but my bad got crushed by the leather clip :/

also after close examination some of the gaffs are really good, 3 or 4 are ok and 3 are meh... (of course depending on what you do you could have a different opinion).

So its a great product, very pricey but a great product.

The clip is fantastic the only problem is that modern tuck boxes (embossed ones) really suffer.

When your posts are four weeks apart, that's not double posting!  :))

Porper Clips and embossed boxes have always had a love-hate relationship going on...  Great for keeping the cards flat on the go, terrible for protecting the box they're enclosed in.

« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2013, 06:59:52 PM »

hecrob

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
  • Magically Delicious

• Facebook:
Guys they are up again...

6 clips remaining...

prices from $200 - $250

A new Tan Lizard Clip!

http://shop.davidblaine.com/collections/all-products/products/db-leather-card-clip
Form Follows Function

« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2013, 07:04:52 PM »

Fanofyankees13

• "YEAH BITCH, MAGNETS!"
  • Discourse Lover
  • U W0T M8

• Facebook:
Cool clips, but not worth $200-$250. Not even close. The gaff deck is a nice addition, but I'd barely put a second thought into this set at $75, let alone triple that.
“You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.”

― Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2013, 08:56:42 PM »

agera94

• Discourse Veteran
$200 but then $53 for international shipping  :(

Gah the suspense. What to do  :o
If I were an eskimo, I would build my igloo next to a supermarket.

« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2013, 09:14:08 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Makes me glad I got mine for $150 in the first release.

« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2013, 09:22:07 PM »

Fanofyankees13

• "YEAH BITCH, MAGNETS!"
  • Discourse Lover
  • U W0T M8

• Facebook:
Makes me glad I got mine for $150 in the first release.

Makes me glad I never bought one of these. Like I said, it's nice, but it's just ridiculously expensive for a card clip. I'm cool with using a $30 plain Porper from Ellusionist. It's personal preference, but I also think something can be said for a $30 clip doing the same exact thing as a clip 5x-8x as expensive. To each their own.
“You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.”

« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2013, 09:57:18 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
See this is a fashion thing. Why do people pay $100 for jeans when they can buy some for $10? branding. For david blaine fans this is the shit, and they will be buy it. For you its not worth it. In general people charge more if they brand it, because people will pay more for the name. Go to walmart, check the ceral prices. Only difference is the name.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2013, 11:35:19 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
John has it pretty much correct.  Think of it like this - there are plenty of cars out there that will get you from point A to point B with little trouble and some degree of comfort.  To some, a cheap, generic economy car is fine for them, even if they could afford something much better, because they don't see it as something worth shelling out the extra dosh for.  To others, a Jaguar (or BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Bentley, etc.) is how they choose to go, because of the extra features, the added appointments, the style, or simply because they like having an expensive brand name to show off their wealth.

Blaine's Porpers are great clips.  His initials/logo are engraved inside the spine and painted white, and the leathers he chooses for them are top-notch, not like what you find in cheap wallets from the gift store.  In addition, I wanted those gaffs!

Don't quote me on this, but I hear that Blaine might be released a full 56-card deck of these gaffs in the near future.  How near, or even if they'll see release, only David & Co. knows.  I'm guessing that these decks are "shorted" by some cards because David himself wanted them for his own personal supply to use while performing.  Seems he likes a good gaff card.  It's also probably where the Split Spades Lions gaff cards came from - David had a full deck of gaffs made, most of which for his own use, a small amount of which for release in little black envelopes found in both his "Two-Deck Split Spades Magician's Special" and his first Variety Box.

« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2013, 11:39:22 PM »

Fanofyankees13

• "YEAH BITCH, MAGNETS!"
  • Discourse Lover
  • U W0T M8

• Facebook:
John has it pretty much correct.  Think of it like this - there are plenty of cars out there that will get you from point A to point B with little trouble and some degree of comfort.  To some, a cheap, generic economy car is fine for them, even if they could afford something much better, because they don't see it as something worth shelling out the extra dosh for.  To others, a Jaguar (or BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Bentley, etc.) is how they choose to go, because of the extra features, the added appointments, the style, or simply because they like having an expensive brand name to show off their wealth.

Blaine's Porpers are great clips.  His initials/logo are engraved inside the spine and painted white, and the leathers he chooses for them are top-notch, not like what you find in cheap wallets from the gift store.  In addition, I wanted those gaffs!

Don't quote me on this, but I hear that Blaine might be released a full 56-card deck of these gaffs in the near future.  How near, or even if they'll see release, only David & Co. knows.  I'm guessing that these decks are "shorted" by some cards because David himself wanted them for his own personal supply to use while performing.  Seems he likes a good gaff card.  It's also probably where the Split Spades Lions gaff cards came from - David had a full deck of gaffs made, most of which for his own use, a small amount of which for release in little black envelopes found in both his "Two-Deck Split Spades Magician's Special" and his first Variety Box.

Right, as I said, to each their own. I don't find the need for a luxury card clip, but more power to anyone who has one. I'm sure it is one of the best clips money can buy...at least I'd hope so for that price tag!

As for the gaff deck, that would be something pretty interesting. Hopefully that little birdie that dropped the rumor your heard is onto something.

« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2013, 01:01:26 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
As for the gaff deck, that would be something pretty interesting. Hopefully that little birdie that dropped the rumor your heard is onto something.

My birdie heard it from a very big birdie, but until it's announced, nothing is ever certain.  Sometimes even after being announced it's STILL not certain until you have it in your hands...

« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2013, 01:19:46 AM »

hecrob

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
  • Magically Delicious

• Facebook:
A couple weeks ago Blaine told me by phone, the same thing....

There will be a full 50 something cards gaffed deck...

Also yeah he made a call to México  ;D
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 01:21:11 AM by hecrob »
Form Follows Function

« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2013, 01:42:26 AM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:

How did you get to talk to David Blaine? And Don has better, he met the guy.  :karrit:
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2013, 03:31:08 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

How did you get to talk to David Blaine? And Don has better, he met the guy.  :karrit:

He knows - he was my little birdie!  We swapped a few PMs about what happened.  :))

I know the story behind the call but I'd rather let him tell it instead.

« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2013, 04:33:18 AM »

hecrob

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
  • Magically Delicious

• Facebook:
I ordered a few things from Blaines site on December of 2012... One of those things was a clip with the gaffed deck...

Well the gaffed deck came damaged... The box was torn on one of its edges, and i felt that for X amount of money, i wasnt supposed to get something in that condition, so i took some pics and send him some emails about it.

I got no answer.... Then 2 weeks later they reply that they will get me another deck.
So i wait.... Another week passes and no answer from them... I lost hope.

Then one day they  send me an email asking for my phone number... So I thought that they needed it as shipping info or something... I send my number

5 minutes later i get a call from David Blaine....

We talked for 15 minutes, amazing 15 minutes! He explained to me why my box got damaged, that they couldnt replace it at the moment but if i waited a couple of weeks i would get another one ( he was talking about this new release of clips + gaffed cards ), he also explained to me how to use some of the gimmicks and i got to ask some questions to him, he also asked some questions about me, what was my favourite gaff and how good of a magician i think i am... ( btw im an amateur magician... Im more an architect lol ).
He also let me know that he was thinking about a new release of these gaffed cards but with 52 cards ( since my box got damaged because they only contain 37 cards and the clip just mashed it ).

So yeah  8) that was a great day....

Form Follows Function

« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2013, 10:21:22 AM »

DrianAbara

• Forum Regular
I ordered a few things from Blaines site on December of 2012... One of those things was a clip with the gaffed deck...

Well the gaffed deck came damaged... The box was torn on one of its edges, and i felt that for X amount of money, i wasnt supposed to get something in that condition, so i took some pics and send him some emails about it.

I got no answer.... Then 2 weeks later they reply that they will get me another deck.
So i wait.... Another week passes and no answer from them... I lost hope.

Then one day they  send me an email asking for my phone number... So I thought that they needed it as shipping info or something... I send my number

5 minutes later i get a call from David Blaine....

We talked for 15 minutes, amazing 15 minutes! He explained to me why my box got damaged, that they couldnt replace it at the moment but if i waited a couple of weeks i would get another one ( he was talking about this new release of clips + gaffed cards ), he also explained to me how to use some of the gimmicks and i got to ask some questions to him, he also asked some questions about me, what was my favourite gaff and how good of a magician i think i am... ( btw im an amateur magician... Im more an architect lol ).
He also let me know that he was thinking about a new release of these gaffed cards but with 52 cards ( since my box got damaged because they only contain 37 cards and the clip just mashed it ).

So yeah  8) that was a great day....
that's awesome man! david blaine is a pretty cool guy and eh afraids of nothing.

i'm jel :D
Love is magic

« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2013, 11:22:44 AM »

Siegismyname

• Discourse Deity
  • Food. Magic. Music
That's really cool. Also, David Blaine posted a picture of him and his white lions tee (I am assuming its from Jack & Jokers). Then in the comments section he says that this picture contains a secret. Could it be linked to this thread or something else? If not can anyone find the 'secret'?

« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2013, 11:57:29 AM »

hecrob

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
  • Magically Delicious

• Facebook:
There are 4 decks in the pic and a different/smaller box .

Also some unidentified things to his left on the table.
Form Follows Function

« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2013, 12:02:42 PM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
  • Ugh, I wish I had money for THAT deck!
Wow now that's a story! I'm a bit envious if I might say so myself. But hey, worth the wait and the non-reply? Probably. I look forward to the release of the fully deck of gaffs for sure.
"The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."

« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2013, 05:33:30 PM »

hecrob

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
  • Magically Delicious

• Facebook:
I think its a whitelions stripper deck
Form Follows Function

« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2013, 12:14:11 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I think its a whitelions stripper deck

I wouldn't say a full stripper deck - the machine needed to make one correctly is a bit larger than what's on that table.  He's probably using tools to edge-cut only one or two cards from a deck for a specific effect.  Stripping a deck involves the use of some precision hardware, and if not cut all at once as a unit, you'll almost invariably end up with a few cards or more cut incorrectly from the rest.  But shorting a card's length or width and recutting the corners to the correct shape is pretty simple with the right tools and you can use that one card in a standard deck to do some interesting things with card control.

« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2013, 02:51:39 AM »

Siegismyname

• Discourse Deity
  • Food. Magic. Music
Here is the full image. Apperantly he is now selling this short sleeve tee together with the double deal series 'b' blue for $75