Lance Miller's Next Deck

Author (Read 4578 times)

Re: Lance Miller's Next Deck
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2013, 02:50:06 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
Hey all, I haven't really posted here in a while, sorry about that. I've been lost in the throws of creation of my new deck. I wanted to share an update with you guys and ask for some feedback. Here is a current "standing" version of my new deck. It's far darker than I first imagined this deck in my head, but I want to know which variation you like better. The darker version or the lighter version? Weigh in on the topic on my facebook page and be part of the creative process: http://facebook.com/lancemillerdecks

- Lance

I LOVE the new version. Now that I've seen this one, the other one looks vacant by comparison. I'm sure there'll be some that miss the negative space, but the contrast between the green and black makes up for that. I also really like the thin, colored borders. Those'll look AWESOME in a fan. But I personally think it would look even better if the crests on the back were 2-way. (I know. We've beat that to death.)

Just a quick question, is this just going to be a singular deck, or will there be color variants like the Actuator?
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2013, 06:34:00 PM »

Loop Cuts

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Version two is definitely my preferred version but I wonder if this is the last of the teasers?  As far as the two way vs. one way back design is concerned, I think we have to keep an open mind.  We should consider that Lance works hard to appeal to so many styles within the industry.  We are an industry of magicians, cardists, collectors, artists and designers.  While he weighs heavily on our specific requests, he must consider the bigger picture.  I’ve seen far more crude one ways so I think this will be perfect for everyone.     

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2013, 07:57:42 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Lance, I think it's great.  I'd suggest lightening up the other elements so they don't get lost in the black background.

Will you be keeping this as a one-way back?

BTW: how about some info on the deck's theme?  Some have guessed fairies, some absinthe...
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2013, 05:22:20 PM »

john

• cham cham cham
  • Frequent Flyer
  • "Shh don't wake the bitches" - Zimos
Without a doubt like the lighter one 100x more.
"I got my people, watching the corners, letting me know where the bitches are." - Zimos

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2013, 03:43:48 AM »

lancetmiller

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
This is a reply I issued over on UC, but still seems to fit over here as well in terms of general response:

With so many people commenting on the one-way back I feel it necessary to clarify my current thought process, while hopefully you all keep in mind, this is a work in progress.

My initial design actually had the shields flipped opposite of each other, then I got to thinking about the practical applications of one-ways, and the fact that in my previous decks a lot of folks said my one-ways were too subtle and even unusable. So I started thinking about this design and performance settings, and I really delved into looking at it from a laymen perspective. They would not notice or even think to consider that the little point on the shield was what told you their card, if you craft your performance well and, like all great performers, misdirection would lead them to consider an alternate means of discovering their card, thus leaving you clean on the real effect.

I've shared the design already with some rather prominent performers in our field and they unanimously agreed that it is a nice one-way that would pass even the most perceptive of laylays given the proper performance and handling. I'm not sure why but I like both shields sitting in that upright position more xD

As far as requests for theme info, I'm not quite ready to let the cat out of the bag on the name or theme, but suffice it to say we have some real sharp people here that are all over it.

- Lance

« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2013, 01:51:55 PM »

billysac

There were three actuator versions that were all well-received, I don't see why there can't be 2 (light and dark) or more versions of this deck. I'd buy/back both for certain.