You are Here:
[VID] Blue LTD by Ellusionist

Author (Read 2036 times)

[VID] Blue LTD by Ellusionist
« on: February 18, 2013, 01:45:18 AM »

FrenchFryNecromancer

• True Member
Just uploaded my review for Ellusionist's Blue LTD deck. 
I do like the deck, but it also has some shortcomings......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wvLMp5KaYA&hd=1
Deck Reviews & Tutorials:  http://www.youtube.com/user/MagicCloud8

Re: [VID] Blue LTD by Ellusionist
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 05:49:03 PM »

Magic_Orthodoxy

• Jack of Diamonds
  • "Simul iustus et peccator"
 :D Great review. I can see what you mean from a flourishing POV the deck is a little lacking, but I love it just as a collector - THANKS!
More Magic and Deck Reviews https://www.youtube.com/magicorthodoxy

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 08:00:39 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Just uploaded my review for Ellusionist's Blue LTD deck. 
I do like the deck, but it also has some shortcomings......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wvLMp5KaYA&hd=1

That was a pretty good quality review.  Some suggestions - you can shorten the overall length of the video if you place some voice-over in the performance portion of the review, replacing some of the other footage.  In my mind, short, info-packed reviews are best.  Also a little breakdown of your 10-point rating system would be nice, allowing people to take your review data and weight it based on factors that are more or less important to them.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 11:34:50 PM »

FrenchFryNecromancer

• True Member
Thanks for the feedback.  You know I was starting to feel that those "the deck in action" sequences were a little dull.  I want to either get comfortable enough I can talk coherently while idly doing card moves....  or possibly the voice over option.  It would be a lot easier to add my voice in after the fact, and cut down on the overall length as you mentioned.  Only thing I worry about there is it might sound weird.... like the narration is really connected with what is happening.  Might feel less "live"-ish....  if that makes any sense.

I do value keeping the reviews short too.  I have been trying to edit them down to be as brief as possible... but I think there is room to improve.

As far as the rating scale, I'm not sure what i want to do with that.  I was kinda just using a general 1-10 scale like you might use to rate a movie after seeing it.  Just something casual and not too scientific... more of like an overall feel thing.  The thought has occurred to me that perhaps I should completely avoid a rating, so I just say whether I like it or not.  And people can make up their own minds.  What to do....

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 01:20:47 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Thanks for the feedback.  You know I was starting to feel that those "the deck in action" sequences were a little dull.  I want to either get comfortable enough I can talk coherently while idly doing card moves....  or possibly the voice over option.  It would be a lot easier to add my voice in after the fact, and cut down on the overall length as you mentioned.  Only thing I worry about there is it might sound weird.... like the narration is really connected with what is happening.  Might feel less "live"-ish....  if that makes any sense.

I do value keeping the reviews short too.  I have been trying to edit them down to be as brief as possible... but I think there is room to improve.

As far as the rating scale, I'm not sure what i want to do with that.  I was kinda just using a general 1-10 scale like you might use to rate a movie after seeing it.  Just something casual and not too scientific... more of like an overall feel thing.  The thought has occurred to me that perhaps I should completely avoid a rating, so I just say whether I like it or not.  And people can make up their own minds.  What to do....

My thoughts:

You can make a voice-over for the cardistry section that's tied to the actions occurring on the screen.  Talk about the fine borders when you've filmed yourself doing a fan, talk about the suppleness of the stock while springing the cards, etc.  You could then remove those from elsewhere in the video, shortening the length by a good degree.  The voiceover part doesn't have to be "live" if it's connected to the on-screen action - no one would know anyway since they can't see your mouth!

If you want to continue with a point-based ratings system, give a breakdown of some kind.  Make the points either additive or averaged.  Additive would be assigning point values to each aspect of the deck and seeing how many points the deck scores; i.e., two points each for stock and finish, three points for design, two for the tuck box and one for "je ne sais quoi" - the "essense" or "wow factor" of the deck and the emotions it evokes, etc.  So if you were rating a pack of Mavericks, you might give it zero for stock, zero for finish, one for design, one for tuck box and zero for "wow factor", resulting in an abysmal score of two out of ten.

Doing the points based on an average means every aspect is scored to the same scale, in this case a ten-point scale, and then the values are averaged for the final score.  You might rate something like a pack of Bicycle Standards as a six for stock, seven for finish, five for design, four for tuck box and one for "wow factor".  Average them together and the overall score would be four-point-six.

Alternately, as you were considering, you can remove the "scientific" aspect of scoring and simply provide comments on what you think of the different aspects, putting it into descriptive terms rather than numbers - but your vocabulary should be up to the task if you don't want to sound like a broken record.  "Oh, the finish is great, the shuffling is great, the stock is great - it's all great, man!"  Doesn't sound terribly intelligent, does it?  But if instead you said something like "The finish is exceptional for a smooth-surfaced deck and has wonderful slip between cards and glide on tables, while the shuffles are a little off, perhaps owing to the rough edges of the die cuts not having been smoothed, and the stock has a unique combination of flexibility and strength that makes the deck a fantastic overall choice for all applications."  That sounds a lot more like someone who's got more than two brain cells to rub together for warmth, right?  :))

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 11:39:21 PM »

FrenchFryNecromancer

• True Member
That's true regarding the voice over - they won't see my mouth.... that is unless I draw lips on my hand and start talking with it..  .... hhmmmm......    think I just came up with a new effect... i'll call it Compel-Viewers-To-Close-The-Window.  As far as the audio I was concerned about having the natural ambiance of the kitchen while doing the moves vs the quiet ambiance of my study where I would be recording a voice-over on the computer.  Although it'll probably sound fine if I run both audio tracks together.  Wonder if the mic built into my cheapo webcam would be sufficient... or if I ought to buy some kind of condenser mic.

But I agree, anything to make the video a little shorter and more interesting.  I'm all about keeping the videos short and sweet.

Thanks for explaining the different rating approaches.  It's interesting thinking about the different ways to communicate and the effect a medium can have on your message.  Also, sounds like you don't care for Mavericks...  ;).  Good point about avoiding sounding like a broken record.... "they feel cool.  they look cool.  they are cool."....  that is something I try to catch myself on when possible.  Maybe I'll whip out the ol' thesaurus next time and disallow myself from uttering the word, "cool".

Lastly, I think something I'd really like to add to my next video, aside from what we've already discussed, would be some cardistry.  I feel I'd be able to better demonstrate the cards in motion that way, where multiple backs are moving around simultaneously.  I've been trying to learn the sybil cut as my first cardistry move.  Still needs some work.  Then after there not too sure what the next step is.... but I purchased the Papercuts DVD yesterday based off some recommendations on here. 

That... and I'd love to learn the pressure fan.  But my pressure fan seems to be making ZERO progress.  My right hand thumb always catches on my left hand towards the end.  Plus my fan is a weird shape - not a circle.  (I am at the point where I think I'm over-practicing it the wrong way.)  Perhaps I could upload a video of how bad my pressure fan is... and get some suggestions on what I'm doing wrong.  Do people do that much on here (or elsewhere)?

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 12:43:15 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
That... and I'd love to learn the pressure fan.  But my pressure fan seems to be making ZERO progress.  My right hand thumb always catches on my left hand towards the end.  Plus my fan is a weird shape - not a circle.  (I am at the point where I think I'm over-practicing it the wrong way.)  Perhaps I could upload a video of how bad my pressure fan is... and get some suggestions on what I'm doing wrong.  Do people do that much on here (or elsewhere)?

Sure they do.  Load your video to YouTube or similar and link to it from a new topic in the Magic/Cardistry board.  You'll find helpful comments and advice.

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 09:11:02 AM »

mirciusx

• Elite Member
  • love, peace, cards

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
This is a nice review! :)

I order 2 bricks just to get the 2 Red Ltd decks. But I like this simple design of both E Ltd's.

What is the Q of the paper? Can you compare it with another deck from T11?

Thank you.

"Art is never finished, only abandoned" – Leonardo daVinci

"Measure twice, cut once." - Don Boyer

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 11:32:08 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
This is a nice review! :)

I order 2 bricks just to get the 2 Red Ltd decks. But I like this simple design of both E Ltd's.

What is the Q of the paper? Can you compare it with another deck from T11?

Thank you.

I don't think Ellusionist has ever produced a deck at less than Q1 - and the Q-level doesn't refer to the paper but to the entire quality control process used to make the deck.  I'm reasonably sure that Theory11 does the same, making only Q1 decks.  D&D are probably the same.  I don't think any of those companies would want to risk their reputation by releasing an inferior deck because of a business decision to go cheap and reduce the QC.

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 06:09:42 AM »

mirciusx

• Elite Member
  • love, peace, cards

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
You're right, Don. Thank you for your answer.
"Art is never finished, only abandoned" – Leonardo daVinci

"Measure twice, cut once." - Don Boyer

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2013, 08:58:38 AM »

Jonathan

• Forum Regular
Thanks for the review, glad I watched this review.

Wanna hear a funny "stupid, newbie card collector" story?

I bought an opened blue ltd off ebay in a lot a while ago.
When I used the deck a bit (it was shuffled *apparantly once*) I realised, "Hey there are two Queen of hearts in this deck, what the...? :S"
When I examined he two queens carefully I realised one had a red back... and I thought, "oh boy, the guy who sold this to me must have had a red deck, dropped a card and accidently packed a red backed LTD queen into his blue tuck box XD and now I feel bad for him because he has a red LTD short a Queen of Hearts"

Thanks to your review... I now know that I am an idiot :D and the guy who sold me the blue LTD deck IS NOT short a red LTD queen of hearts haha (Not that it really matters, apparantly the guy had quit collecting"

And that's my nooby card collector story for the day XD

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2013, 10:24:18 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Thanks for the review, glad I watched this review.

Wanna hear a funny "stupid, newbie card collector" story?

I bought an opened blue ltd off ebay in a lot a while ago.
When I used the deck a bit (it was shuffled *apparantly once*) I realised, "Hey there are two Queen of hearts in this deck, what the...? :S"
When I examined he two queens carefully I realised one had a red back... and I thought, "oh boy, the guy who sold this to me must have had a red deck, dropped a card and accidently packed a red backed LTD queen into his blue tuck box XD and now I feel bad for him because he has a red LTD short a Queen of Hearts"

Thanks to your review... I now know that I am an idiot :D and the guy who sold me the blue LTD deck IS NOT short a red LTD queen of hearts haha (Not that it really matters, apparantly the guy had quit collecting"

And that's my nooby card collector story for the day XD

E did the same thing with the latest printing of the Series 1800 decks - each has an extra Queen of Hearts of the other's color.

The Blue Crown did similar with a few of their decks, most notably the NOCs, but they included cards with the same color back.

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2013, 10:31:49 AM »

Jonathan

• Forum Regular

E did the same thing with the latest printing of the Series 1800 decks - each has an extra Queen of Hearts of the other's color.

The Blue Crown did similar with a few of their decks, most notably the NOCs, but they included cards with the same color back.

Ahhhh, thanks for the heads up I have a pair of unopened series 1800 decks, now I won't be surprised/confused when I see it haha (although if it were a new deck I don't think I'd be as eassilyconfused). What's the deal with it being the Queen of Hearts? Is there some history there that I'm unaware of?
I've been waiting to get some NOC's, haven't had the budget to fit them in yet (hell, if a certain amazing deck designer doesn't slow down with his projects I may never have the budget to fit them in .... ever.... :P XD)

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2013, 10:50:37 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Ahhhh, thanks for the heads up I have a pair of unopened series 1800 decks, now I won't be surprised/confused when I see it haha (although if it were a new deck I don't think I'd be as eassilyconfused). What's the deal with it being the Queen of Hearts? Is there some history there that I'm unaware of?
I've been waiting to get some NOC's, haven't had the budget to fit them in yet (hell, if a certain amazing deck designer doesn't slow down with his projects I may never have the budget to fit them in .... ever.... :P XD)

The Queens of Hearts is women's most chosen card of the deck when given a choice during a magic trick.

Other cards are occasionally used.  NOC v1 used the Queen of Hearts, but NOC v2 used the 2 of Hearts.