You are Here:
Werm - having issue with middle card

Author (Read 956 times)

Werm - having issue with middle card
« on: February 24, 2013, 06:47:06 PM »

FrenchFryNecromancer

• True Member
I am trying to get into cardistry, so I am working on the Sybil Cut as well as The Werm to start out with.

I uploaded a video to demonstrate the problem I am having with The Werm.  It seems like once I get the Werm extended, then the middle card wants to rotate perpendicular to the other cards.... rather than staying nice and flat. 

See the problem here:  http://youtu.be/-IG7l0tdM3s

What am I doing wrong that causes the middle card to rotate like that?
Also, any other tips?
Deck Reviews & Tutorials:  http://www.youtube.com/user/MagicCloud8

Re: Werm - having issue with middle card
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 06:28:43 PM »

sr15

• Discourse Veteran
looks like an issue with your right thumb. try gripping the lower pack further up on your right thumb so you have more surface area to rotate the card. also, in the future you should try your best to troubleshoot it yourself, because being able to figure out issues with knacky moves is one of the best ways to improve overall in cardistry.

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 09:40:54 PM »

FrenchFryNecromancer

• True Member
looks like an issue with your right thumb. try gripping the lower pack further up on your right thumb so you have more surface area to rotate the card.

Hey thanks for the reply and the tip!  I'll give that a try and see if it helps.

also, in the future you should try your best to troubleshoot it yourself, because being able to figure out issues with knacky moves is one of the best ways to improve overall in cardistry.

Thanks for this suggestion.  I was indeed trying to troubleshoot it myself, but didn't have much luck.  I am pretty new to cardistry.  I do, however, see your point and I see the value in being self-sufficient.  Although.... isn't part of the reason for this forum to have discussion and community?  Help each other out?  I thought part of the fun might be actually having people to share this kind of stuff with.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 09:41:35 PM by FrenchFryNecromancer »

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 11:20:16 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
  also, in the future you should try your best to troubleshoot it yourself, because being able to figure out issues with knacky moves is one of the best ways to improve overall in cardistry.

Thanks for this suggestion.  I was indeed trying to troubleshoot it myself, but didn't have much luck.  I am pretty new to cardistry.  I do, however, see your point and I see the value in being self-sufficient.  Although.... isn't part of the reason for this forum to have discussion and community?  Help each other out?  I thought part of the fun might be actually having people to share this kind of stuff with.

I think what sr15 was referring to was that when you manage to self-troubleshoot, to work out an issue on your own, it gives you a greater understanding of the art itself.  However, there are times where you need to call out to your fellow flourishers because the problem was beyond your own capacity to solve.  It's like when I worked out how to perform some minor mechanical repairs to my first car over twenty years ago - it gave me a sense of accomplishment and a better understanding of the vehicle.  (It was a '70 Chevy Nova SS!  It had been beat to hell, but it was mostly mechanically intact.  I miss that car.)
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 04:26:43 AM »

sr15

• Discourse Veteran
What Don said. It's happened more than once for me where I'm trying to learn some aspect of a move, and all of a sudden I figure something out and it clicks, and that thing I figured out also helps me out with other moves. There's nothing wrong with asking for help, but it might be more beneficial to try and work it out yourself, even if it takes a while.

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 12:13:18 AM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
FrenchFryNecromaniac (such an ambition username), I too am having a similar problem you are having, just not to that serious of an extent. I think what seems to be your problem is the fact that second-to-last pack looks to be pushing the middle card perpendicular. What I recommend is that you keep the packets above and below the middle card separated from each other. What I mean by that is that, don't have the entire display completely parallel and straight. Instead, move the upper packet over to prevent the middle card from touching the lower packet. Tell me how it goes.  :-)
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 12:59:58 PM »

FrenchFryNecromancer

• True Member
Don Boyer & sr15:  I will keep that in mind.

KPopFever605:  About my username - I just thought it was funny.  Something serious/ominous/powerful (like necromancy) combined with some irrelevant/cheap/mundane (like french fries).  Plus, it wasn't already taken.  :) 

Also, thanks for your reply.  I hadn't even thought about evaluating the packets from that perspective.....  that is, considering how close the packets are in the direction going from my chest towards the observer.  Once I started looking at it that way, I noticed the 2nd from the top packet was kinda pushing against the middle card as I raised it up.  So I am now keeping an eye on this and it seems to have helped reduce the problem.  It's not perfect... but it is certainly much better.

sr15:  Your point about positioning the packet further up the thumb did indeed end up helping me.  (Thanks.)  I unfortunately have an especially big/flat/wide thumb nail... which means I don't have as much fleshy rounded edges to work with.... but moving the packet up further helped me get a little less thumbnail involved.  Which means I can grip it better to prevent the rotation.