You are Here:
Bicycle Federal 52 (KS)

Author (Read 22463 times)

Re: Bicycle Federal 52 (KS)
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2013, 02:04:28 PM »

nicknamehere

• Newcomer
And with that redesign, I am placated and will be pledging. I'm rarely a fan of tossing all the suits on there (still not for this one), but it's definitely better than what he had before. Loving the thinner borders now too.

As for pricing, with the success of the Pedale and Founders decks, and now this deck, I'm wondering if this is the new price point for KS decks, it allows for a larger margin of "Shenanigans" error. For a deck with this much work into it and this level of attention to detail, I don't feel so bad pledging this much. My worry lies in deck that are tossed together and think they can carry a $15 price tag.

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2013, 02:12:21 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
^ I'm in the same boat as this guy. The redesign won me over. It's a beautiful deck.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2013, 03:51:52 PM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
I was a huge fan of this deck before the change.. and now I'm an even bigger fan.

I can't wait to add these to the collection

CBJ
  I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

Also, follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2013, 06:20:22 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
That back is so much more attractive, I might have to pledge as well.

As for pricing, with the success of the Pedale and Founders decks, and now this deck, I'm wondering if this is the new price point for KS decks, it allows for a larger margin of "Shenanigans" error. For a deck with this much work into it and this level of attention to detail, I don't feel so bad pledging this much. My worry lies in deck that are tossed together and think they can carry a $15 price tag.

Yeah, that's a trend I've been noticing as well, and I believe it was kicked off by the Pedale deck.  For a deck like this, perhaps I can understand it.  For some of these other $15 decks, however, no frickin' way are they worth what's being asked.  I feel that designers saw the Pedale deck on design blogs, saw it become the most highly-funded deck project on KS and are using it as their benchmark for what to charge.  Unfortunately, this totally neglects that the Pedale deck had far more appeal outside of the card community than inside, while many of the new decks are being aimed at us rather than people in the high design community, Pedale Design's primary audience.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2013, 09:55:05 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
you are right.  what was it about the pedale design?  you have to think when this guy first started he had the king of diamonds as the suicide king; listened to the feedback and changed it to the king of hearts.   

« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2013, 01:39:26 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
you are right.  what was it about the pedale design?  you have to think when this guy first started he had the king of diamonds as the suicide king; listened to the feedback and changed it to the king of hearts.   

His deck had many issues at the start, not the least of which being some face cards having indices in the top-right corners rather than top-left.  He was wise enough to take the advice of some of his backers and made many "corrections" so the deck would more closely conform to conventional standards while still remaining unique and "high design".

But on the top of this deck - that's a much nicer looking back design, far and away a big improvement.

« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2013, 01:54:27 AM »

Utterfool

• Elite Member
  • " I have nothing to declare except my folly"

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• last.fm:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:

• Windows Live:
Sprouts was replying to a posting on UC ... I guess it's been a long day (been there, but not quite done that just yet :-)

Apparently I can cause such rage in people it echos across boards.

But back onto this topic.

I really appreciate the designer listening to the community so closely.
I think it is interesting how many actually do seeing how I would bet the majority of their backers don't even know about these boards. (this is of course an assumption)

And one thing that I do not think has been mentioned yet. We have talked so much about cardistry and magic use for this deck if it had a two way back.
Really I mean how perfect is it to play poker with a money themed deck?

« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2013, 03:10:05 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I really appreciate the designer listening to the community so closely.
I think it is interesting how many actually do seeing how I would bet the majority of their backers don't even know about these boards. (this is of course an assumption)

And one thing that I do not think has been mentioned yet. We have talked so much about cardistry and magic use for this deck if it had a two way back.
Really I mean how perfect is it to play poker with a money themed deck?

The backers are finding us - as are the designers.  We're not the entire card-enthusiast community, but we're certainly representative of it.

And YES, money-themed cards at a poker game would be KILLER!  The thing is, though, what will the second deck be, since I always play with a matched pair...

« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2013, 03:17:06 AM »

GBAllison

• Forum Regular
The thing is, though, what will the second deck be, since I always play with a matched pair...

Two decks ... just like money ... green on one side, black on the other.  The new two way backs would work GREAT in those two colors.  The seals could be reversed ... or make 'em red on the greenbacks.  Either way ... green and black ... oh man!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 03:20:46 AM by GBAllison »

« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2013, 03:45:06 AM »

Utterfool

• Elite Member
  • " I have nothing to declare except my folly"

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• last.fm:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:

• Windows Live:
Match set should be a coin themed deck.
Maybe with a copper colored back

« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2013, 05:19:46 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Match set should be a coin themed deck.
Maybe with a copper colored back

Nah...  I hate round cards...  :))

I'd go with a Gold Certificate deck - they had red seals instead of green.

« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2013, 11:52:44 AM »

PrincessTrouble

• Don't Use This!
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Just a note that the new 2-way back has been tweaked slightly.  The right-side up eagle is on top now and the upside down eagle is on the bottom.

« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2013, 07:50:53 PM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Hey guys. This is Jackson Robinson, the creator of the Federal 52 Deck. I've been using this forum and a few others as a main source of input on specific directions for the deck. I really appreciate everyone's comments. I'm really doing my best to incorporate as many comments of specific things that I my self as a newb to card collecting and cardistry don't know. My hope is to make the best deck I can for as many people as possible.

Wanted to through out a specific thanks to Don Boyer for some feed back he game me via email. He gave me the latin phrase to put on the back design. The deck is a long way away from being done, so please keep the comments coming they can only help the creative process move forward.

New Back design with tweaks

Thanks
Jackson
Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2013, 09:30:18 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
Jackson - "Novus Ordo Seclorum" means "new order of the ages"?  what ever don says is probably trustworthily. he helps too; his words have weight.   can't put my finger on it, but i think he comes here 30 times a day.  :)   

« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2013, 11:53:40 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Hey guys. This is Jackson Robinson, the creator of the Federal 52 Deck. I've been using this forum and a few others as a main source of input on specific directions for the deck. I really appreciate everyone's comments. I'm really doing my best to incorporate as many comments of specific things that I my self as a newb to card collecting and cardistry don't know. My hope is to make the best deck I can for as many people as possible.

Wanted to through out a specific thanks to Don Boyer for some feed back he game me via email. He gave me the latin phrase to put on the back design. The deck is a long way away from being done, so please keep the comments coming they can only help the creative process move forward.

Thanks
Jackson

Thanks, I appreciate it.  Should you really overfund for a huge-enough amount, you should set a second deck as a stretch goal!  I like the red-seal idea I mentioned below - it would be great to have a poker set for this deck!

Jackson - "Novus Ordo Seclorum" means "new order of the ages"?  what ever don says is probably trustworthily. he helps too; his words have weight.   can't put my finger on it, but i think he comes here 30 times a day.  :)   

Thanks - I think...  :))  "Novus Ordo Seclorum" actually is printed on the back of a one-dollar bill, as is "E Pluribus Unum" ("out of many, one").  The third Latin phrase there isn't, but Ellusionist has used it quite a lot, among others - "Mundus Vult Decipi" (by itself, it means "the world wants to be deceived"; it's a shortened form of "mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur" meaning "the world wants to be deceived, so let it be deceived").

« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2013, 02:40:19 AM »

GBAllison

• Forum Regular
New Back design with tweaks

Wow!  Making the eagles right-side-up is a huge win!
And of course you already know I'm a big fan of a second-color deck ... love the idea of the red seals.

« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2013, 12:20:24 PM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Here is my latest update:

This one’s a big one! You guys have been absolutely incredible. It is my goal to make this campaign as meaningful as possible for my backers. In the next few days, I will be releasing some exciting goals and rewards to prove that to you. With your help and input we can accomplish so much. Without you guys, none of this is possible.

I absolutely love this project. I can’t wait to pick up a pencil or get on my computer and start working on these cards each day. Having you guys actively involved is half of the enjoyment, thank you.

I’m still relatively new to Kickstarter, so I’m still learning at an exponential rate. The releases over the next few days will reflect even things that I have learned on this project.

Ok! enough of me soap boxing - lets get to the goods!

Introducing the Federal Fifty Two Collector’s Set. The Federal Fifty Two Collector’s set consists of four items:

1 Signed and numbered Uncut Sheet

1 Signed and numbered 2 Color Screen Printed Poster of the new “Two Way” back design.

1 Signed and numbered Federal 52 Deck

3 Signed but not numbered Federal 52 Decks.

The really cool thing about this collector’s set is that all of the numbers will be matching. There will ONLY be 52 of these collector’s set and it will also be the only Federal 52 Decks that I am going to sign. (Except of course if we run into each other someday)

There will be a 1 first edition of this collector’s set that will have the #1 (signed also) of each the following, the uncut sheet, screen printed poster plus 5 additional signed decks (not numbered).

Even more exciting than that, I am stoked to announce the Stretch goals. I have other smaller rewards planned but these goals will be driving force throughout the rest of the campaign.

@ $40,000 The Gold Certificate Deck will be released. This Deck will have a completely unique and redesigned box and “Two Way” Back design that is inspired by the Gold Certificates of the early 1900s. These cards will be of the same quality and finish as the original Federal 52 Deck.

Too say a huge thank you EVERY Gold Certificate Deck will be priced at $11 (+7 for international shipping)

@ $85,000 I will be releasing what I am calling the Private Reserve Note Deck. This deck will culminate the entire Federal 52 Project in its Back Design and Tuck Case Design. This deck will only be printed once, and in limited run. This deck will also ONLY be available through Kickstarter. Every Deck will be signed and numbered. The Private Reserve Note Deck will be available for $15 (+7 for international shipping)

That's not all guys! Like I said earlier this is a learning process for me. As an active way to say thank you and gesture to try and make things “right” for my international backers. The next Ace Celebration Deck release (which will be this weekend, hint, hint) Not only am I making 100 decks available for $11, If you are an international back that snags one of the Celebration 100 decks you will also receive a second deck for FREE. Yes I said it FREE! You will still have to add $7 for shipping.

All these goals are subject to change and the designs could change slightly based on your feedback.

That’s it for now guys. Please keep leaving your comments and feedback about the work that I am doing. Your input is a huge factor in my creative process. Thank you so much.

Jackson
Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2013, 06:30:45 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
Don - just saw Jackson's Gold Certificate Back.  i don't remember seeing "Fold" or "Call"  on money.   :)  if you think about it, if your playing an opponent he will see "Fold" most of the time and you could mess with them and switch it to "Call"  8)

Jackson - like your private reserve stretch goal.  at $15 of deck; hopefully it's glided edges.  reserve with glided edges is the way i intend to go. 

« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2013, 08:22:00 PM »

GBAllison

• Forum Regular
Fold or Call?  That pretty much tailors this exclusively for poker players.

Don't get me wrong, I'll still pledge for the second deck if it hits, and the third deck, whatever.  But for us bridge players, that Fold and Call says "No Love For You." :(

I hope he goes back to the money theme.
<sigh>
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 08:22:27 PM by GBAllison »

« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2013, 01:22:36 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Don - just saw Jackson's Gold Certificate Back.  i don't remember seeing "Fold" or "Call"  on money.   :)  if you think about it, if your playing an opponent he will see "Fold" most of the time and you could mess with them and switch it to "Call"  8)

Jackson - like your private reserve stretch goal.  at $15 of deck; hopefully it's glided edges.  reserve with glided edges is the way i intend to go.

I also don't recall seeing "Mundus Vult Decipi" on money, either!  So what?!  It's a deck of CARDS, not a deck of money!  :))

Gilded edges - nope.  It has long been my opinion that gilt-edged decks are playing cards for people who don't like to play cards.  They look very pretty until you actually start using them, at which point the gilding gets EVERYWHERE and they start looking shabby.  And don't even think about performance.  That paint makes the deck unable to be weave or faro shuffled and destroys the ability to fan it.

Fold or Call?  That pretty much tailors this exclusively for poker players.

Don't get me wrong, I'll still pledge for the second deck if it hits, and the third deck, whatever.  But for us bridge players, that Fold and Call says "No Love For You." :(

I hope he goes back to the money theme.
<sigh>

This IS still a money theme.  Oy...

He made the second design as a response to people asking for a second color in order to make a "poker set".  Hence the poker terms.  This ain't no bridge deck, bro!  it's not even the right size for bridge - holding thirteen poker-sized cards in your hand is no easy task for many people.  I think it's great, and the third "reserve" deck sounds great - it reminds me of the old $100,000 bank notes.  They were created for a brief period in the 1930s, if memory serves, and were used strictly for transactions between banks, not by the general public.

Jackson, just have fun with this, OK?  It looks like you're having a blast!  The designs remind me a lot of the American Bank Note Company designs that were made for the original Aristocrat decks before USPC bought the company out and made it their own brand.  But you took it a step further and added the seals, ribbons, etc., as well as matching faces - I had a very similar idea in mind once and I'm glad to see this reaching fruition.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 01:25:36 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2013, 02:28:45 AM »

Soliloquy

• Forum Regular
Truly impressive, and you're definitely raising the bar for Kickstarter decks!  Out of morbid curiosity, how many hours have you spent working on this project so far?

« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2013, 02:45:34 AM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
It's tough to say but Im probably already 100 or so hours in and have probably that many more to go.

Thanks for you encouraging words.
Jackson
Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2013, 09:20:48 AM »

Pacis

• Forum Regular
I guess the Gold Certificate Deck will be released. Can't wait to have both :)
What a great job, Jackson. Congrats.

« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2013, 06:04:35 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
Love the new deck back! For the private reserve, do you have plans to incorporate the eye of providence? That'd be rad.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2013, 11:21:07 PM »

billysac

Will any incentive be available to domestic buyers who get in on your next ace celebration pledge level?  ;D