You are Here:
Bicycle Federal 52 (KS)

Author (Read 22497 times)

Re: Bicycle Federal 52 (KS)
« Reply #75 on: March 27, 2013, 10:48:24 PM »

GBAllison

• Forum Regular
Yeesh ... I keep getting that mixed up ... Pedale hit more than $146K.  It was Call of Cthulhu that hit $96K.
(My bad ... Sorry.)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 10:53:08 PM by GBAllison »

« Reply #76 on: March 28, 2013, 01:10:39 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Yeesh ... I keep getting that mixed up ... Pedale hit more than $146K.  It was Call of Cthulhu that hit $96K.
(My bad ... Sorry.)

Eh, don't be.  It gets hard to keep track.  I'd say this deck is somewhere in the midrange of the top ten most funded.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #77 on: March 28, 2013, 08:53:44 PM »

GBAllison

• Forum Regular
By passing Quicksilver (which it did just a few minutes ago), doesn't Federal 52 already lock up the #3 playing card project?

« Reply #78 on: March 29, 2013, 12:07:17 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
By passing Quicksilver (which it did just a few minutes ago), doesn't Federal 52 already lock up the #3 playing card project?

That sounds about right...

« Reply #79 on: March 29, 2013, 03:54:35 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
The Queen of Spades.....

« Reply #80 on: March 29, 2013, 04:12:43 PM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Got to love the typo demon  >:( Everybody has been having a lot of fun with that one.

Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #81 on: March 29, 2013, 08:11:03 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
Got to love the typo demon  >:( Everybody has been having a lot of fun with that one.

Absolutely amazing!!

I saw this when it first had Bicycle and was only a one way back. I really liked it but as with most decks there were things that I was not sure about. Now... with the new changes I'm on board. I've never backed anything on kick-starter before. I came close with the Bohemia Deck Project but in the end decided against it. I was presently surprised not having visited this thread in a few weeks.

Really hoping the Bicycle Logo is removed...
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 08:23:41 PM by Legacy »

« Reply #82 on: March 29, 2013, 08:57:35 PM »

magimago

I think, that the Gold-certificate-box looks killer. I actually like the boxdesign and colorcombination a lot more than the backdesign itself.
Game or Thrones is addicting

« Reply #83 on: March 30, 2013, 08:38:37 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
So... Its just been explained to me that this project is keeping the Bicycle logo. The way I look at it, the creator should be 100% happy with his product. No regrets 4 years from now wishing he had not made the decision to do something. If it were me... I would relaunch the project the way you want the project to be. Even if the deck receives less funding because the Bicycle logo is not on the box any longer, the branding price you will not have to pay can compensate for that. I'm staying with the project because I think your going to make many more decks in the future and want to have your first release in the collection.  The best comment I have read was that it was your art that brings value to the bicycle name not the other way around. Either way people are going to support this project, the funding will come for both decks. NO regrets!!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 08:42:37 AM by Legacy »

« Reply #84 on: March 30, 2013, 07:39:21 PM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
I agree with Legacy, and although I am happy the choice to retain the Bicycle branding, I would have continued to back the project either way... I will say that I am concerned that many of the faces are taken from actual printed bills... After the Lego fiasco and Army men disappointment, I don't see how USPCC would actually be permitted to reprint the cards using images from actual bills... I guess we will see... However, I can say confidently that this looks to be one of the finest quality kickstarter campaigns to date and perhaps makes up for the countless bland, generic decks pumped out by that machine...

« Reply #85 on: March 30, 2013, 10:02:44 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I agree with Legacy, and although I am happy the choice to retain the Bicycle branding, I would have continued to back the project either way... I will say that I am concerned that many of the faces are taken from actual printed bills... After the Lego fiasco and Army men disappointment, I don't see how USPCC would actually be permitted to reprint the cards using images from actual bills... I guess we will see... However, I can say confidently that this looks to be one of the finest quality kickstarter campaigns to date and perhaps makes up for the countless bland, generic decks pumped out by that machine...

All art generated by the US government is public domain, freely copyable unless you're trying to counterfeit something.  These cards bear not the slightest resemblance to actual currency - it's fragments of currency art, repurposed.

« Reply #86 on: March 30, 2013, 10:43:53 PM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Well thanks Don... As always just a pool of knowledge... Now I'm feeling good... This deck appeals to me on many levels... Having collected currency and combining this with my love for cards is a win/win... I now feel much better...

« Reply #87 on: March 30, 2013, 11:30:08 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Well thanks Don... As always just a pool of knowledge... Now I'm feeling good... This deck appeals to me on many levels... Having collected currency and combining this with my love for cards is a win/win... I now feel much better...

Even if the art was "play money," if it resembles a real bill too closely, the Secret Service will get involved.  I found that out in the late '70s when my father's company designed an ad that was closely copied from a $100 note.  The paper was no match at all and there were many differences, but the size and shape matched and there was enough of a similarity that in a dark room, it could pass, if only briefly, as the real thing.  They were issued cease-and-desist orders from the Federal Government and forced to redesign the ad and destroy all uncirculated copies of the old one.

This "bill" would not fit the bill as being something actionable.  To be more accurate, the bill is done in the style of the intaglio printing of US currency notes, but there's an inadequate similarity to the actual notes themselves.  If a person can get away with printing a straight-forward copy of a $100 note, squeezed to fit the dimensions of a card back (which has happened - such a deck exists), then this deck's a non-issue to the Secret Service.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 11:31:18 PM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #88 on: March 31, 2013, 03:29:48 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire

Right now I'm having issues with the inconsistency of this Kick-starter campaign.

They just updated with a teaser back design for a Silver Certificate deck if they hit 85K. In all honesty this new Silver design is better then the Fed 52 and the Gold designs. There is no guarantee this project will hit 85K, which means we might not get Jackson's best work should the deck fall short. This really should have been all planned out prior to launching the campaign. What happens if the campaign hits 85K hours before the end. New rewards need to be created to include the silver deck and then most will have to update their choices last minute. The early birds get screwed, while those who waited get everything. The poster prints are nice but most who support this project want the decks. Add to the fact Jackson does not even want the Bicycle logo on the box but is going with it anyway due to inconvenience. 

The design and skills are amazing but I don't know what I'm paying for anymore. Finish the design's first then launch the kick-starter. It kills me to see a project with so much potential to be flawed because of poor planing. Whats the rush? You only get one chance at making a first impression. This project will stick with you for as long as you plan to create future decks.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 04:34:55 PM by Legacy »

« Reply #89 on: March 31, 2013, 03:36:37 PM »

amosyzk

• True Member
Yeah, he is rushing like he has very little time on Earth. I would prefer if he separate the decks into individual projects so it wouldn't be so messy by squeezing everything into one project.

« Reply #90 on: March 31, 2013, 07:10:40 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Right now I'm having issues with the inconsistency of this Kick-starter campaign.

They just updated with a teaser back design for a Silver Certificate deck if they hit 85K. In all honesty this new Silver design is better then the Fed 52 and the Gold designs. There is no guarantee this project will hit 85K, which means we might not get Jackson's best work should the deck fall short. This really should have been all planned out prior to launching the campaign. What happens if the campaign hits 85K hours before the end. New rewards need to be created to include the silver deck and then most will have to update their choices last minute. The early birds get screwed, while those who waited get everything. The poster prints are nice but most who support this project want the decks. Add to the fact Jackson does not even want the Bicycle logo on the box but is going with it anyway due to inconvenience. 

The design and skills are amazing but I don't know what I'm paying for anymore. Finish the design's first then launch the kick-starter. It kills me to see a project with so much potential to be flawed because of poor planing. Whats the rush? You only get one chance at making a first impression. This project will stick with you for as long as you plan to create future decks.

It's simple. When he launched his project, I'm sure he had hopes and dreams for big success, but like most practical humans, he applied "lottery ticket" logic.  You buy a ticket hoping you'll win but expecting you won't.  Turns out that his ticket is a winner.  One's plans do change a lot after a significant windfall...

I wouldn't worry about this project making or not making the stretch goal.  I could practically guarantee that he will produce that silver certificate deck, one way or another.  Maybe another KS project, maybe privately funded.  He'd be crazy not to - because of people like you, who want it so much!

As far as early birds not getting all the worms, I wouldn't worry too much about that.  Most KS campaigns will toss in decks when certain stretch goals are met, and even if they don't add them for free, they give their backers an opportunity to get all the goodies even after it's closed.  They'd be crazy not to!  It would be like a retailer saying, "Oh, I don't want THAT much extra cash..."

I will grant you, however, that it's best to have a design at least 90% locked in and done before going to Kickstarter.  I get the impression that he's still making the deck as he goes along.  Lance did that on his Actuators (Artist's Edition) and he overshot his planned delivery date in part as a result of that.

« Reply #91 on: April 02, 2013, 08:46:06 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
@ Don:

I'm out...

The court cards are some of the best court cards I've ever had the pleasure of seeing. Unfortunately the first Fed 52 back design is now being out classed by its own court cards.The placement of the suits on the Fed 52 eagles are throwing me off. It needs a drastic redesign. I'm also not a fan of aged or distressed white he is using. Right now its not a practical design for me.   

All the best to Jackson!!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 09:48:36 PM by Legacy »

« Reply #92 on: April 02, 2013, 11:43:41 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
@ Don:

I'm out...

The court cards are some of the best court cards I've ever had the pleasure of seeing. Unfortunately the first Fed 52 back design is now being out classed by its own court cards.The placement of the suits on the Fed 52 eagles are throwing me off. It needs a drastic redesign. I'm also not a fan of aged or distressed white he is using. Right now its not a practical design for me.   

All the best to Jackson!!

It isn't really an "aged" look he's aiming at - it's the look of paper currency, which is never purely white, not in this country.  I get the feeling you're going to like this deck a lot more when it's in your hands than you already do now.

« Reply #93 on: April 03, 2013, 05:09:13 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
Is it me or does the Fed 52 Deck look very similar in design to Artisan's?

It's almost like the outline of the Artisan's back was traced and filled with Fed 52 design.

« Reply #94 on: April 03, 2013, 05:38:03 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

It's almost like the outline of the Artisan's back was traced and filled with Fed 52 design.

Artisans look more like the back of the Pedale Deck to me...

« Reply #95 on: April 04, 2013, 03:58:43 PM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

Legacy, knock it off... This is one of the nicest decks to come from any source for a long, long time... And the Jokers are sick... I am a big fan of how he incorporated the classic US from USPCC in the corners of the Joker... Keep up the good work...

Edit: As for the Silver Certificate, wicked... let's get this to $85K so I can grab one as well... I also have to add, it's so refreshing to be able to pick up two or three incredible decks out of the gate, rather than him milking the collectors to wait for the next "rad" new back... E, D&D, HOPC, & T11 take note... Three backs, one project, much respect for the collectors...
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 04:03:56 PM by jmrock »

« Reply #96 on: April 05, 2013, 05:54:45 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:

...Eeeh. Kinda. But only the central placing of the seals.

I think it looks closer to the founders.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 05:57:40 PM by MrMollusk »
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #97 on: April 05, 2013, 07:26:13 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire

Legacy, knock it off... This is one of the nicest decks to come from any source for a long, long time... And the Jokers are sick... I am a big fan of how he incorporated the classic US from USPCC in the corners of the Joker... Keep up the good work...

Edit: As for the Silver Certificate, wicked... let's get this to $85K so I can grab one as well... I also have to add, it's so refreshing to be able to pick up two or three incredible decks out of the gate, rather than him milking the collectors to wait for the next "rad" new back... E, D&D, HOPC, & T11 take note... Three backs, one project, much respect for the collectors...

Wow jmrock, you've gotten soft.

The decks are very nice. Its just not nice enough for me. This is my opinion and that's what this forum is for. To each their own.

If Jackson's goal was to create 3 great decks of playing cards, he's done it. No doubt about that. If he stuck with one of his 3 back designs (the silver cert) with his court cards, he could have 1 of the best decks ever designed in the history of playing cards. I just have trouble with the fact he is watering down his decks by creating 3 decks instead of only one really amazing deck. Version 2, Version 3, Silver Certificate & Gold Certificate could have all been done on other kick starter projects. Rome wasn't built in a day and yes, I see Rome being built with an unfinished foundation.

I'm sorry Mr. JMRock if you have a problem with me criticizing projects on this forum. What ever was I thinking (sarcasm)... Forums in general would suck if everyone always agreed with each other. Relax with your gag orders.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 10:59:00 PM by Legacy »

« Reply #98 on: April 05, 2013, 09:14:11 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

...Eeeh. Kinda. But only the central placing of the seals.

I think it looks closer to the founders.

Hey, throw in a picture of Tally Ho Circle Backs for good measure...  And Bicycle Riders, too!

There's a lot of similarities between a LOT of decks, people...  It happens when you're seeking symmetry in a lot of directions, which most decks do.

« Reply #99 on: April 10, 2013, 09:27:21 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
"what are you talking about?" don't you see it? this is the new pedale. it's like the second coming of jesus. he should do very good.

this is a pic of the 2nd joker:

jackson your at 1700+ backers at $75,000 at 10 days; yet, i don't see your $85,000 stretch goal in the home kickstarter page.  you might want to think of a $100,000 stretch goal.  might be possiable.  so far you have been very creative in your rewards and stretch goals.  you need a new reward "bomb" of at least $1000.  all your $500 rewards have been bought; you need something higher to help reach your $85,000 stretch goal.  do you got any "1 of a kind" items laying around or ppl like to be involved in rewards. 

expect a big surge.  you will most likely have at least 2000 backers. 
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 08:45:41 AM by sprouts1115 »