Bicycle Komodo, by Circle City Cards

Author (Read 2976 times)

Bicycle Komodo, by Circle City Cards
« on: March 24, 2013, 09:20:49 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
So, this showed up in my mail today...
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

Re: Bicycle Komodo, by Circle City Cards
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 09:52:36 PM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
  • Ugh, I wish I had money for THAT deck!
What a mystery. Hopefully those colors will combine into something appealing. I personally am a fan of more simply colored decks but hey, there are exceptions!
"The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 11:10:45 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
What a mystery. Hopefully those colors will combine into something appealing. I personally am a fan of more simply colored decks but hey, there are exceptions!

It's less of a mystery if you check out Circle City's FB page.  They've been sneak previewing it in bits and bobs.

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 11:14:06 PM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty

It's less of a mystery if you check out Circle City's FB page.  They've been sneak previewing it in bits and bobs.

Ah well I don't have a Facebook and therefore rarely ever look at Facebook pages of anything. But I do have a little, but powerful, tool called google that will be of help. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!
"The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 11:31:42 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Ah well I don't have a Facebook and therefore rarely ever look at Facebook pages of anything. But I do have a little, but powerful, tool called google that will be of help. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

You don't really need a Facebook account if you are looking at a company page like that one.  I've clicked through to such pages many times without being logged in and had no trouble viewing the contents.

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 12:37:45 AM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
I understand that but Facebook isn't something that I think about because I don't have one. I guess I know it's a resource but I rarely give it a thought because it's not common for me to look at a page. But I shall have to remind myself to check them out sometime!

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 01:18:37 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I understand that but Facebook isn't something that I think about because I don't have one. I guess I know it's a resource but I rarely give it a thought because it's not common for me to look at a page. But I shall have to remind myself to check them out sometime!

I know the feeling - I barely use it myself.  But it's a prime resource for information from playing card companies/designers.

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 01:42:48 AM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty

I know the feeling - I barely use it myself.  But it's a prime resource for information from playing card companies/designers.

I guess I'll have to just bookmark the pages and put them alongside the other card company pages I have bookmarked. I do see how useful Facebook can be. Too bad there are a lot of contests through Facebook. Maybe I'll make an account just to participate in these contests.

But back on topic. These Komodos are a little too colorful for my taste but they aren't terribly done. I do like the customized courts though.

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 01:49:38 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
These Komodos are a little too colorful for my taste but they aren't terribly done. I do like the customized courts though.

That's specifically what he was aiming for, apparently, as a response to all the dark-themed and dark-colored decks that have been coming out lately.  I think this will have a strong draw for people who, like him, are tired of the trend by now and want something different - and there's enough of them to go around.

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 02:39:48 AM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
These Komodos are a little too colorful for my taste but they aren't terribly done. I do like the customized courts though.

That's specifically what he was aiming for, apparently, as a response to all the dark-themed and dark-colored decks that have been coming out lately.  I think this will have a strong draw for people who, like him, are tired of the trend by now and want something different - and there's enough of them to go around.

I mean I get it but I guess I'm not quite tired of those designs yet. Maybe not that bright yet I gues. I wouldn't have minded. The Love Me deck wasn't colorful but it broke the trend of dark. But hey, I'm only one customer. My disinterest isn't going to change the success of the deck :)

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 07:37:07 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
For those too lazy to check out the face book page, here it is.

I must say that I'm not too fond of them. The colors and shapes are too corny for me, even thought they're well done. As for the back, I'm not sure blue flowery designs tie in with the whole rounded, stylized feel. The back looks like a European style, and the faces look more African in style. They clash.

T11 has already done the whole bright-colored animal heads thing with the Animal Kingdom deck, and that deck was fully custom and had an extremely consistent theme. I loved that deck, but I'm not sure this one is for me.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 08:52:23 PM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
I assume the court that was revealed on Facebook is supposed to be a Komodo dragon. But then I'm confused on what the back design is supposed to be. And it also raises the question: what will the other courts be? Will they all be Komodo dragons just posing in different angles? I do think that wouldn't be attractive to me.

The idea of choosing Komodo as the theme interests me. Is it supposed to be Komodo dragons? Or the Komodo islands?

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 12:46:15 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
All I know is, from what I've seen so far, these are different, unique and refreshing to see.  He's managed to make a deck that's original without having to re-invent the deck.  I'm interested enough to want to see more of the finished project.

My only question is whether this will be self-funded or Kickstarted.  I'm hoping for self-funded, like the Hornets.  There's so many projects now on KS that it's hard to hear the signal through the noise.  It's gotten crazy - roughly double or more than at this time last year, I'd guess.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 12:49:34 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 10:50:55 AM »

Russell CircleCityCards

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Thanks for the kind words!  I just realized I didn't make a post here about the cards!

The 'theme' is Komodo island, bright sunny beaches, colorful fruit and interesting wildlife.

As stated earlier, yes, I am tired of seeing all the same 2 decks come out. Black elegant/classy (tacky) decks and black skull/mysterious decks. There is no secret society and there is no hidden backstory... it's simply a deck of cards. The Komodo decks is just a lighthearted deck you can pull out and people will like it for the colors and the fun designs.

Will many people on the boards like them? Some wont, the trend for the youngsters nowadays is for some deeper darker meaning.   I'll have more pictures once the art is approved from Bicycle.  I am fast tracking this deck for a summer delivery.

--- edit ---

Don, the link in your first post isn't working.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 10:51:52 AM by Russell CircleCityCards »
Circle City Cards - 'Hornet' decks now available!
HOPC - 'Sanguine' & 'Azure' just released!
Facebook - 'Like' us! We frequently have contests!

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2013, 06:48:14 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Thanks for the kind words!  I just realized I didn't make a post here about the cards!

The 'theme' is Komodo island, bright sunny beaches, colorful fruit and interesting wildlife.

As stated earlier, yes, I am tired of seeing all the same 2 decks come out. Black elegant/classy (tacky) decks and black skull/mysterious decks. There is no secret society and there is no hidden backstory... it's simply a deck of cards. The Komodo decks is just a lighthearted deck you can pull out and people will like it for the colors and the fun designs.

Will many people on the boards like them? Some wont, the trend for the youngsters nowadays is for some deeper darker meaning.   I'll have more pictures once the art is approved from Bicycle.  I am fast tracking this deck for a summer delivery.

--- edit ---

Don, the link in your first post isn't working.

Thanks for coming in to comment.  I don't have a link with the image - it's a grab from my mail program.  I'll gladly add a link if you have one.

Personally, I feel that the themes of zombies, steampunk and Lovecraft's Mythos are the ones getting seriously played out, at least on Kickstarter!  But regardless, this deck looks like a breath of fresh air, and could even have greater appeal in a younger market than usually is interested in playing cards because the theme (as seen in their eyes) is neither "classy" (stuffy and boring) or "dark" (scary).  Good call getting this deck ready during the spring for a summer release - it's suited to the season.

The big question is: will you privately fund this or turn to Kickstarter?

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2013, 08:40:05 PM »

sway

• Forum Regular
Hey, that's interesting.

That back design has some nice colors to it and I liked the flower pattern. I'm not too big on those pips, though. They look a bit cartoonish and don't really seem to relate with the vibe of the deck. I think it would be nice if the pips resembled fruit cuts (I have attached an image to make the idea clearer).

Well, I guess the main problem here the subtlety of the theme. Many people will find it very hard to grasp.

You see, the one thing that people know about Komodo is that it's the habitat of a giant lizard named the Komodo Dragon. And, as the Caribbean are a much bigger cultural reference than the Komodo Islands, I think that is what most people would relate to when thinking of bright sunny beaches, flowers and stuff.

Lets wait and see how Russell will handle this issue. Hope he surprises us all.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 08:41:10 PM by sway »

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2013, 12:36:46 AM »

Russell CircleCityCards

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Sway, thanks for the input but there is no 'issue'... that is how the deck looks.

When I post more pics with greater detail you'll see how beautiful the deck really is.

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2013, 01:01:20 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Sway, thanks for the input but there is no 'issue'... that is how the deck looks.

When I post more pics with greater detail you'll see how beautiful the deck really is.

The pips actually bring to my mind images of ripened fruits...

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2013, 10:47:29 AM »

sway

• Forum Regular

Russell, the issue I was referring to is the problem of introducing a fairly uncharted theme through a deck of cards.

I'm eager to see some more!

The pips actually bring to my mind images of ripened fruits...

The idea of using fruit cuts as pips popped into my mind when I first saw the Joker for this deck. It reminded me of a cut of a starfruit.

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2013, 11:14:42 AM »

Russell CircleCityCards

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Those were my exact intentions!

I'll have a bit more info once I finish shipping my QS rewards (soon!)

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2013, 02:06:04 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

QS...Quickstarter?  :))

Looking forward to seeing what you've got, bro!

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2013, 02:40:25 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:

QS...Quickstarter?  :))

Looking forward to seeing what you've got, bro!
QS - Quicksilver.

I haven't received my reward yet, but I'm patient about it. The dice look really cool, and I can't wait to get them.
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605