Whispering Imps™ Playing Cards

Author (Read 18362 times)

Whispering Imps™ Playing Cards
« on: May 18, 2013, 08:35:07 PM »

see_squared

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
Hey Folks,

Just wanted to give you all the heads up about a new deck i've been working on since last year with Mark Stutzman called the "Whispering Imps™ Playing Cards". I drew my inspiration from Harry Kellar's original Imps poster from 1894.  After researching and collecting hundreds of decks I noticed an "Imp" deck had never been created...until now.  It's been a lot of hard work but my hope is that you will all enjoy how it's turned out.

My Kickstarter campaign will launch June 1st and I'll be sure to give you all a heads up with the link as soon as I can.

Cheers,

-Chris

Re: Whispering Imps™ Playing Cards
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 12:03:55 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
The name Mark Stutzman brings very high expectation. I look forward to seeing this deck. Will we have to wait till June 1st to get a look?

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 12:41:49 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
How were you able to get Mark Stutzman?  I hear he's in demand...
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 06:09:22 AM »

BrianDenham

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
I'm already excited about this deck and can't wait until June 1st to see more of it. It's a great idea for a deck and I'm sure it will do beyond your estimations!

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 02:09:56 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
Was Stutzman the guy who designed David Blaine's promotional stuff and the Ask Alexander decks?

But anyhoo, it would be awesome to get a look at the cards. Thus far, it looks remarkably similar to the Dan and Dave Tshirt.

Both inspired by Harry Kellar, I guess.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 02:10:53 PM by MrMollusk »
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 10:12:18 PM »

Emmanuel

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
Was Stutzman the guy who designed David Blaine's promotional stuff and the Ask Alexander decks?

Indeed that is Mark Stutzman's work. He's an incredible artist/illustrator. I can't wait to see your KS campaign, Chris!

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 12:20:59 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

He also did the design for Lawrence Sullivan's Legend decks.  The guy knows his stuff and has done some great work.  Imagine - for some of those decks, he had to create a unique back for every single card (the White Lions and Legends had a variety of markings on them, making every card back different).

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 12:32:58 AM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Looks promising for a change... If the project comes to fruition and does indeed live up to the expectations, I may look to pick these up in the aftermarket... However, Kickstarter will no longer be a link that I will visit moving forward... Good luck with the project...

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 11:40:21 AM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Stutzman...that sure got my attention! Can't wait! I love his work. My office is adorned with many of his posters.

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 12:23:23 PM »

see_squared

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
Wow, thank you all for the overwhelming support!  A nice thing to wake up to.

Yes, i'm very excited to be working again with Mark.  Years ago he painted a poster for a show I co-created called The Adult Circus.  He's wildly talented and I couldn't think of anyone better to design this deck. 

We came up with a ton of different ideas however we focused on one because of the history of the poster and the history of the USPCC...everyone i've shared the design to has fully supported it.  As we get closer to the launch date i'll post a couple photos.

Yes, Don is correct.  Mark has done all of David Blaine's decks & posters and Lawrence Sullivan's recent "Legends" deck.  He's a true illustrator which means he does not use the computer to design a deck, it's all pen and ink.  The only time he uses the computer is at the very end when he vectorizes the artwork to send to the USPCC.  His attention to detail is absolutely incredible and when all is said and done...the original artwork still exists on paper and not a hard drive.  I flew to the east coast to see him late last year and discuss the project in detail. 

I feel I've priced everything reasonably for what this deck has become.  I'm using high quality intense black premium vellum paper for the tuck box w/ red foil stamping. The card back themselves will be a beautiful deep red. With domestic shipping included i'm practically pre-selling the decks at cost for $10.  If you were to order 1 deck from any of the companies out there it would be more than $12.   

I'm also keeping the various pledge packages simple.  It's the cards, hand silk screened posters, uncut sheets, stickers and a very special Kellar inspired Thank You letter.  There will also be a limited edition "Signature Package" with everything signed by Mark and myself. 

This is such an incredible community and I'm grateful to be a part of it.  I welcome any thoughts, concerns or ideas you think would make this project better.

Additionally, i'm doing most of my promoting through my instagram...   http://instagram.com/thecardcatalog

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 11:09:56 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:

He also did the design for Lawrence Sullivan's Legend decks.  The guy knows his stuff and has done some great work.  Imagine - for some of those decks, he had to create a unique back for every single card (the White Lions and Legends had a variety of markings on them, making every card back different).

Super awesome rep. If that's the case, I LOVE Stutzman's work!

I can't wait for this deck.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2013, 02:34:25 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I flew to the east coast to see him late last year and discuss the project in detail.

Next time you're in my area (NYC), give me a shout - it would be great to meet and chat.

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2013, 11:05:51 AM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity
  • I can be ironic, but I never outrage anyone.

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
@see-squared, maybe you don’t have pictures but I am sure you have a conception.
So my question: What parts of this deck will be custom (tuck case, back, Joker, The Ace of Spades, other aces, court cards, pips)? And, please, don’t promise recolored standard elements and court cards as “custom”.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in collecting beautiful ones" ~ PlayingCardCollector.net

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2013, 03:48:20 PM »

see_squared

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
Those are great questions @collector. I hear you on the recolored standard elements, we're on the same page...I would never pass that off as 'custom court cards.'   The artwork for the faces of the cards is based off of the old faces from many years ago, sometimes seen in the squeezer decks. I felt it would fit the theme of the deck a bit more. Additionally there will be few select court cards that will have various "Kellar like" card reveals.  See below:

The Ace of Spades will be custom.  The Jokers are custom, however they aren't called jokers in this deck...they'll be called "Imps".

I wanted to customize all the Aces, but that will depend on how the kickstarter funding goes...I planned on that as a possible stretch goal. 

Lastly, the tuck box i've kept rather simple, beautiful and rather mysterious.  Opening the box will 'unlock' the secrets of the Whispering Imps.

It's been a lot of fun playing with many ideas, thank you for your interest.  More to come.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 03:01:03 PM by see_squared »

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2013, 08:19:26 PM »

see_squared

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
Below is a screenshot from my Kickstarter video of a near complete back design for the Whispering Imps™ Playing Cards.  Mark and I already have short list of things to tweak and modify but I would love your initial thoughts.  A few notes, the smoke behind the center imps in the final design will be more delicate as well as the star pattern.  What you see in this photograph is drawn with pen and sharpie by Mark.  The final will be far more detailed.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 08:22:21 PM by see_squared »

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2013, 08:51:14 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
Below is a screenshot from my Kickstarter video of a near complete back design for the Whispering Imps™ Playing Cards.  Mark and I already have short list of things to tweak and modify but I would love your initial thoughts.  A few notes, the smoke behind the center imps in the final design will be more delicate as well as the star pattern.  What you see in this photograph is drawn with pen and sharpie by Mark.  The final will be far more detailed.

Hello

I really like the back design. Its very classy looking. I expected nothing less from Mark

HOWEVER, your decision to put imps whispering on the standard court cards is a terrible idea. I think your limiting the potential usage and function of the deck. I have no use for this deck if every court card is going to be that way. As a gaf card, go for it.

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2013, 12:16:50 AM »

see_squared

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
You do have a very good point @Legacy.  I hadn't intended on having Imps on every court card...just a couple, however I do see what you mean.  There is already one very good gaff card in the deck, but you've made me think about keeping the courts in the deck 'impless'.  Thank you for your thoughts.

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2013, 01:15:19 AM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:

[photo]

Wow! Very cool!
I'd love to see some thin borders. I think that too many decks have bulky, thick ones. I think the idea of whispering imps on the back stays true to the deck's name, but I agree that the imps don't need to be on the courts (but you could keep one on one court card. There doesn't need to be more than that). The graphic of the King of Heart's imp looks like it was slapped on as an afterthought. Possibly style it so that the imp is peeking out from behind the king?
And if there was an individual, stylized imp on every ace, I think that would look amazing.
As for my back suggestions, I could only ask if you have a hidden one way back. You could work wonders with those little floral designs in the corners.

Looking awesome thus far! I can't wait to back it!
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2013, 10:42:43 AM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
I love the back. When I heard whispering imps I was unsure about this deck. When I saw that back my jaw dropped. I need to pledge. Like now.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2013, 01:37:43 PM »

see_squared

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
Thinner borders are absolutely something that will be included in the final design, thank you for that.  Although the USPCC hasn't quite perfected thin borders yet, they are still able to provide that option and I will most likely go that route.

The Imp on the court card is just a sketch.  Because there are so many little elements to this deck, that rendering may be one of the last things Mark designs.  I wanted a simple concept of the idea to be shown so everyone has a better understanding of how it may look.  I've redesigned the gaff card to have this reveal in addition to a reveal on the back of the card, making it a 2 card reveal on one gaffed card. 

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2013, 06:36:05 PM »

Curt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
I love the back. When I heard whispering imps I was unsure about this deck. When I saw that back my jaw dropped. I need to pledge. Like now.

I agree, the back reminds me of some of the old school designs from USPCC, very cool.

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2013, 02:26:13 PM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity
  • I can be ironic, but I never outrage anyone.

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
Whispering Imps Court cards were (could be) only custom due to that imps. And it was an AMAZING idea in combination with the name (theme) of the deck. So many amazing things could be done, how heavy with meanin it could be....

Than magicians came and traditionally annihilated it.

Those court cards are standard. Yes the standard is older but that's all. And they were already used in 3 or 4 decks.

But "Back, AoS, Joker standard deck" is your everything :(... oh, I forgot beautiful tuck cases, of course - they are such important for an audience and tricks.

This deck is dead for me now and I am sad. I don't even want to propose how to improve that King... hey, I forgot - Gaff King.

Emotionally? This time YES.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 04:59:56 PM by Collector »

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in collecting beautiful ones" ~ PlayingCardCollector.net

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2013, 05:28:15 PM »

see_squared

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
Thank you @collector for taking the time to voice your thoughts and opinions about my first deck of playing cards.  I can understand and appreciate your interest in playing cards that are 100% custom. I too share similar interests in some decks that have been fully customized...the thing with those decks, I never use them professionally. The few times i've tried, the spectators believe it to be a gimmicked deck.

Although it would very nice to design a deck of playing cards with a completely custom set of court cards, that reality is just not possible at this precise moment in time.  You see, Mark is a very busy artist, not only working on this project but a ton of other projects with other clients.  He works traditionally with pen, ink, paint and paper....not a computer.  This means time, and lots of it.  Something both Mark and I unfortunately just don't have much of. 

Unfortunately I can't seem to make sense of your fourth paragraph, it's a bit disjointed so i'll just skip over it.

Regarding my choice for the courts cards used in the Whispering Imps™... this deck was designed for magicians, hobbyists, playing card & art enthusiasts.  It was also designed to be used for working magicians, which means, at a glance, to a lay audience the court cards should look familiar enough to recognize without questioning its authenticity.  Additionally, the courts that i'm use are actually NOT the standard anymore, you'll find the standard USPCC court cards in the current Bicycle decks and many others. 

The full story, inspiration and history behind this deck of cards is on my Kickstarter page that I'll launch on June 1st....perhaps after reading the information provided in the campaign you'll be able to understand my creative decisions and choices for this deck. 

I'm sorry to hear you've lost interest in this deck over the court cards.  I just hope my vision with this deck can be appreciated by other like minded enthusiasts in the community.

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2013, 05:56:34 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Thank you @collector for taking the time to voice your thoughts and opinions about my first deck of playing cards.  I can understand and appreciate your interest in playing cards that are 100% custom. I too share similar interests in some decks that have been fully customized...the thing with those decks, I never use them professionally. The few times i've tried, the spectators believe it to be a gimmicked deck.

Although it would very nice to design a deck of playing cards with a completely custom set of court cards, that reality is just not possible at this precise moment in time.  You see, Mark is a very busy artist, not only working on this project but a ton of other projects with other clients.  He works traditionally with pen, ink, paint and paper....not a computer.  This means time, and lots of it.  Something both Mark and I unfortunately just don't have much of. 

Unfortunately I can't seem to make sense of your fourth paragraph, it's a bit disjointed so i'll just skip over it.

Regarding my choice for the courts cards used in the Whispering Imps™... this deck was designed for magicians, hobbyists, playing card & art enthusiasts.  It was also designed to be used for working magicians, which means, at a glance, to a lay audience the court cards should look familiar enough to recognize without questioning its authenticity.  Additionally, the courts that i'm use are actually NOT the standard anymore, you'll find the standard USPCC court cards in the current Bicycle decks and many others. 

The full story, inspiration and history behind this deck of cards is on my Kickstarter page that I'll launch on June 1st....perhaps after reading the information provided in the campaign you'll be able to understand my creative decisions and choices for this deck. 

I'm sorry to hear you've lost interest in this deck over the court cards.  I just hope my vision with this deck can be appreciated by other like minded enthusiasts in the community.

His fourth paragraph was more of a rant over how magician/collectors usually insist on buying custom decks, but in this case are asking for plainer courts.  While your courts aren't 100% standard to modern audiences, they are a historical standard.

It is possible to use a non-standard deck for magic - I do on many occasions - as long as it conforms to the basic Anglo-Rouen design.  But there's a reason many magician/designers opt for a deck with plainer courts - not necessarily 100% USPC standard, but plainer: people will be the most familiar with them.  It's not a matter of them thinking the cards are gimmicked, but more of a recognition factor - "Hey, they look like the cards I play poker with, etc."  Nearly all T11 decks: standard.  Zen Kok/Coterie: standard.  CARC, David Blaine: standard with minor modifications.  The list goes on.

The one non-standard deck I got busted on was when I tried performing ordinary card tricks with a Bicycle Spectrum deck.  Wow, that was a bad idea.  It's close to impossible to pass one card off as another because the backs are as different as the fronts.  I mean, sure, a double lift will work, but when you put the card in the spectator's hand and "switch" it for another, it becomes pretty obvious it's been switched already...
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 06:44:06 PM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2013, 06:05:59 PM »

see_squared

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
yes, Don thank you.  This deck was intended from the very beginning to use a historical set of standard court cards because of it's source of inspiration.