Origins Playing Cards

Author (Read 29384 times)

Re: Origins Playing Cards
« Reply #75 on: December 30, 2013, 07:36:22 PM »

Rick Davidson

• True Member

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Thank you Sher!  Yes a pearlescent stock, should really shine with the emboss and foil.  I didn't know the Aurum used it, yes lovely looking deck.  Looking forward to KS myself, it's been a long time coming.  Happy New year!

« Reply #76 on: January 07, 2014, 07:38:06 AM »

Rick Davidson

• True Member

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Just need to get this out of my system.  What do you think of these variations?

« Reply #77 on: January 07, 2014, 08:27:34 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Great design Rick, I do like the middle one with the soft coloring. That being said, I'm kind of torn on the image being retained in the boarder or expanding past it.

« Reply #78 on: January 07, 2014, 08:41:52 AM »

ivan

• True Member

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Wow...beautiful design Rick!

I wonder how the soft colours from the second card will look on the third image?

Recent Post:
+ Designers: Realising the Vision with Lotrek of Venexiana Playing Cards fb.me/6AdE6sqej
+ Analytics: Project by Numbers- Federal 52 Pt II http://fb.me/2OyvCJgXU
+ Kickstarter: 7 Questions with Lorenzo Gaggiotti of Requiem Playing Cards http://fb.me/WKgT2S0e

« Reply #79 on: January 07, 2014, 10:45:26 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I like the second card - more colorful without being a rainbow.

Why have borders at all?  Lose them and see how gorgeous they look when the courts are "full-screen".
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #80 on: January 07, 2014, 12:07:47 PM »

HandSkillz

• Discourse Lover
My 2 cents - I actually like the second one the most.  The picture going beyond the borders creates an odd effect for me - as the elbows don't expand (and I wouldn't want them to...I think) in the middle of the card.

Great design though, I look forward to seeing it on KS!
Starting to get better...have to stay dedicated...can't lose any more cards in the middle of a trick.  Literally, completely lost a card.

« Reply #81 on: January 09, 2014, 04:18:06 PM »

PrincessTrouble

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
I like the muted colors of the first one the best.  Can't wait to pledge for these!

« Reply #82 on: January 10, 2014, 12:01:59 AM »

Rick Davidson

• True Member

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Hey thanks everyone, you've been great to bounce ideas off this whole project.  I really appreciate it.

I've worked on finding a balance between the two on the colours.  I've not wanted to introduce too much colour as I didn't want it to overwhelm the linework.  I think this is working pretty well.

I've always preferred the art without the constraints of the border myself but I've resisted losing them purely for the fact I wanted to produce a deck that didn't feel a million miles from the standard - and could still be used by cardists/magicians without issue.  But that said, here's another round...

« Reply #83 on: January 10, 2014, 12:41:03 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Go borderless and make the art a little larger.  That's one of the big benefits of no border - more room, bigger art.  You won't alienate anyone by making a more gorgeous deck...
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #84 on: January 10, 2014, 05:08:24 AM »

Leif

• Elite Member
I think that, since you call the deck origins, are you trying to merge the old design like this: http://whiteknucklecards.com/nsp/rouenpattern.html with the modern standard of playing cards?
I think there are several questions in these photos you posted.

I will offer my take on each of them.

First, the question of color. I originally liked the subdued color of your first postings. But the origins, the old designs you've drawn inspiration from, did they have a lot of color? Do you want to keep everything as close to the originals as possible, or do you want to do some things different?

Second, the question of borders.
Again, you have to think about the originals, what did they look like, and how much do you want your design to be exactly like the originals? Why, do you think, did they have borders in the first place, if they did?
Borders can work as a way of focussing the eye on the art, I think. And I like your borders.
Personally I'd like number one or number three in your last post. Either have borders, and keep everything inside, or remove the borders completely. But if you do remove the borders, what happens to the queen of diamonds left arm? How much redrawing do you have to do on the other courts?

Third, with or without color fading. I was rather fond of the color fading on your first postings. Now, these last ones don't have any fading at all, right? Maybe these last was just to show the border differences, but I actually like these without the fades too.

It would be fun to see one of your court cards with the same vibrant red, gold and green color as the Rouen example above, just for comparison.

I can firmly say that whatever you do, your decks will be the first I back on kickstarter, if you go that route.

« Reply #85 on: January 10, 2014, 08:30:08 AM »

Rick Davidson

• True Member

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Thanks for your feedback Leif.  And humbled you'll brave kickstarter for the first time, thank you

Yes the battle I had early on was how close do I try to stay to the originals, and I found it was going to make for some pretty clunky art.  Probably followed some of the feedback on the early posts.  So while I have tried to retain the same elements and details as the originals, I'm careful to say the deck is 'inspired' by.  The goal was always a modern deck and a modern take.   My thought process was that the artists of the 16th century were working with wood, stencils and brushes, which limited what they could create.  If they had our tools, what might they produce. 

Hopefully I won't get trouble for showing these images but you can see some of my workings.

You're right on the colours, the originals were bright.  I decided to keep the colour monotone originally to tie in with the tuck and keep the focus on the detail.  Also didn't want to open a gold foil tuck, and be hit with fluro red cards.  Artistic license ;)

The color fade or gradient is something I'm revisiting.   I think monotone it adds depth.  With extra colour perhaps it doesn't need it so much, and more importantly from a production stand point, if you use a gradient, you can't use metallics. Which would kill my options to an extent.

The borders, if you look at the historic art they are just inside the edge, no squeezers of course, so they don't feel as dominant as modern cards and the art basically uses the entire card.  So I think there is some play there.  All of my art is stand alone like this, so not a lot of work to remove borders, but it is another step away from the cropping of the originals.  Too far?  Undecided
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 06:13:38 AM by Rick Davidson »

« Reply #86 on: January 10, 2014, 11:10:50 AM »

HandSkillz

• Discourse Lover
I'm a fan of the borderless with more color, that's the best I've seen so far for sure.
Starting to get better...have to stay dedicated...can't lose any more cards in the middle of a trick.  Literally, completely lost a card.

« Reply #87 on: January 10, 2014, 02:58:50 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I'm a fan of the borderless with more color, that's the best I've seen so far for sure.

Ya I have to agree with HandSkillz, the more vibrant, boarderless design is beautiful.

« Reply #88 on: January 11, 2014, 03:15:27 AM »

th4mo

Ya I have to agree with HandSkillz, the more vibrant, boarderless design is beautiful.

I third what these two have said!

« Reply #89 on: January 11, 2014, 03:37:57 AM »

Rick Davidson

• True Member

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I knew I shouldn't have asked you guys.  Yes agreed

« Reply #90 on: January 12, 2014, 06:34:07 AM »

Leif

• Elite Member
Even though I may be in the minority here, I must say that I like the ones with the border a tiny bit more than the ones without borders. Hell, with gorgeous art like this, you can release decks en masse, without borders, with borders, bright colors, no colors, neon colors, you name it, I'll get them all.

I have a question, though:

How many colors are you going to use?
USPC said to me that I could use only six colors, any more and they would have to rasterize (Is that the correct term?) the art and mix colors.
What are your opinions about this for your deck?

« Reply #91 on: January 13, 2014, 05:44:15 AM »

volantangel

• True Member
I think the borders work much better, esp with the queen coming out of the border.

« Reply #92 on: January 13, 2014, 08:22:07 AM »

Rick Davidson

• True Member

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Thanks again guys.  I've been turning this over the last couple of days.  In the end converting everything to full colour will be a task, and will increase the price of the decks again, which are already sky high.  And yes the production process changes.  It a minor thing but keeping the colors to a minimum will keep the line work sharp.  The borders, as much as I like it without I think will have to stay.  I've been working with a historian and it would be hard at the last to make such a switch.  I'd also feel like I'd bombed on working to the standard.  I've made a little compromise by thinning it out.  Good to work this through though

« Reply #93 on: January 13, 2014, 09:46:10 AM »

HandSkillz

• Discourse Lover
Thanks again guys.  I've been turning this over the last couple of days.  In the end converting everything to full colour will be a task, and will increase the price of the decks again, which are already sky high.  And yes the production process changes.  It a minor thing but keeping the colors to a minimum will keep the line work sharp.  The borders, as much as I like it without I think will have to stay.  I've been working with a historian and it would be hard at the last to make such a switch.  I'd also feel like I'd bombed on working to the standard.  I've made a little compromise by thinning it out.  Good to work this through though

Rick - at the end of the day you're the artist and your work is excellent. If you put 10 Literature experts in a room you'll have 10 different opinions about even Shakespeare's work.  You should go with what feels best to you and what works best for your project.  I would also say you've gone above and beyond the standard with the courts, regardless of color detail or borders, so don't worry about that.  Keep up the good work!!

« Reply #94 on: January 13, 2014, 02:31:14 PM »

Leif

• Elite Member

Rick - at the end of the day you're the artist and your work is excellent. If you put 10 Literature experts in a room you'll have 10 different opinions about even Shakespeare's work.  You should go with what feels best to you and what works best for your project.  I would also say you've gone above and beyond the standard with the courts, regardless of color detail or borders, so don't worry about that.  Keep up the good work!!

I agree with HandSkillz.

And it's probably best to keep costs as low as you can. I'd hate for this to not get funded just because people think the deck is too expensive.

« Reply #95 on: January 15, 2014, 05:53:15 PM »

Rick Davidson

• True Member

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Yes cost is my main concern at the moment, even UPSCC talked me down on the colours.  But I'm about set to run after that little experiment.  Thanks again for the feedback, always good points

« Reply #96 on: January 18, 2014, 06:41:50 AM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
Deck goes live at 9am EST. 2PM GMT. Good luck Rick, I look forward to this :)
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #97 on: January 18, 2014, 09:08:10 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

« Reply #98 on: January 18, 2014, 09:29:49 AM »

ivan

• True Member

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
@Sparkz: Did u get the HISTORIC FIRST reward tier?  :)

Recent Post:
+ Designers: Realising the Vision with Lotrek of Venexiana Playing Cards fb.me/6AdE6sqej
+ Analytics: Project by Numbers- Federal 52 Pt II http://fb.me/2OyvCJgXU
+ Kickstarter: 7 Questions with Lorenzo Gaggiotti of Requiem Playing Cards http://fb.me/WKgT2S0e

« Reply #99 on: January 18, 2014, 09:31:10 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
@Sparkz: Did u get the HISTORIC FIRST reward tier?  :)

I did, thrilled to death!