You are Here:
IRON KINGS, funded ! 2 days...and that's it :)

Author (Read 2652 times)

IRON KINGS, funded ! 2 days...and that's it :)
« on: July 12, 2013, 10:22:47 AM »

whaam

• True Member
Today we start a new Kickstarter campaign with this...amazing deck, Iron Kings. Hope you'll check it out.
Printed by USPCC, Bicycle branded.
Designed and illustrated (painted) by...Johnny Whaam.

Here's the link to....Kickstarter.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1919680633/iron-kings-bicycle-playing-cards-deck?ref=live
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 08:28:54 PM by whaam »

Re: IRON KINGS, Bicycle branded deck,...live on Kickstarter..!!
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 04:33:02 PM »

whaam

• True Member
Thanks to all backers, comments here are very welcome, your feedback on this design will help make my future designs better..
And,...if anyone wants to support us and pledge...that would be cool.
Johnny Whaam (...will complete many deck designs, this was my 2nd...)
New card, King of Clubs...

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 12:01:45 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Thanks to all backers, comments here are very welcome, your feedback on this design will help make my future designs better..
And,...if anyone wants to support us and pledge...that would be cool.
Johnny Whaam (...will complete many deck designs, this was my 2nd...)

OK, I'll start by saying that this isn't my cup of tea - I'm not a fan of the design.  That doesn't mean it isn't a worthwhile design, though, because I know not everyone shares my tastes and that there are people who would think this was the greatest thing since cave paintings.

You did good work on the symmetry of the courts - but it's clear that there's practically a horizontal line through the center of each one.  It's your axis of symmetry.  (Well, rotational symmetry, but you get what I'm writing here...)  A traditional modern court card is more visually interesting in that you can't easily pick a single line where the symmetry occurs.  There's overlap from one half into the other, with matching overlap on the opposite side along a vertical axis.  My point here is that your symmetry is not as visually interesting.  Consider modifying the design to incorporate this feature.

Another thing that may make this more visually interesting would be to eliminate the background colors and remove the frame from the court images.  Look at decks like Artifice or Magic-Con v.2 for examples.  The MC2 deck is actually just recolored traditional courts, blown up to a slightly larger size and sans frames.  Artifice is more like what you have, a semi-traditional but unique court image.  Both look pretty sharp with the frames gone.  Your background colors remind me of cheap photo studio backdrops and it doesn't do the art any justice.

Finally, in my opinion, I think that hollowing out the pips with that faded effect isn't doing your tough "in days of old, when knights were bold" image any favors.  You should make them BOLD as well.  Have you considered making pips that look more like heraldic shields?  You don't have to go crazy or over-complicate them, but it can really make a statement and would suit your theme perfectly.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 12:04:42 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 04:26:08 PM »

whaam

• True Member
Thanks Don, this is the most helpful review I read (and heard) of Iron Kings design. You really made some great suggestions here and I'll definitely have them in mind while creating other designs. If funding won't go as we expected, in the 2nd part of the campaign I just might implement your suggestions on Iron Kings as well. You clearly know stuff...I've learned from your post, thanks...
Johnny

In the meantime,...here's a new card; Queen of Hearts

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 01:07:27 PM »

whaam

• True Member
New card, King of Hearts...
If you'd like to see a video,...speed painting this card,...just click here
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1919680633/iron-kings-bicycle-playing-cards-deck?ref=live
Johnny

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 03:45:21 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
So I am not a huge fan of the font, and I don't like the way the Hearts look inside the face cards (I love the pips in the indices though).

The artwork itself is fucking fantastic, though!
Forum Founder.

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 02:42:52 AM »

malcomteo

amazing design very medieval like!

IRON KINGS- Relaunch- Unbranded
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2013, 02:55:26 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
http://kck.st/18Uo4H4

2nd try- now unbranded- $2,000 goal - Stretch goal: $6,500 = printed by USPCC

"Few words from the author;
..this is our 2nd try (and final :) on Kickstarter with Iron Kings deck. We lowered the funding goal so it can reach the goal easy (I hope)."

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2013, 05:14:56 AM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
  • Ugh, I wish I had money for THAT deck!
Let's hope with the second try some of the advice given will be implemented. I like the originality of the artwork for sure.
"The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2013, 05:49:03 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Let's hope with the second try some of the advice given will be implemented. I like the originality of the artwork for sure.

Actually, he really needs little of our advice - his goal is stupendously low.  Any lower and a flea couldn't limbo under it.  I only hope for his own sake that he's properly crunched the numbers.

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2013, 11:15:23 AM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity
  • I can be ironic, but I never outrage anyone.

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
Why are you so worried?  :) Maybe they just try to sell a remaining part of printed (ordered) decks.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in collecting beautiful ones" ~ PlayingCardCollector.net

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2013, 11:49:42 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
7 projects including this one. 1 successful($667), 3 unfunded, 2 canceled, $1446 of $2,000 on this 1

I think this guy, and the Diamond Cut guy are related.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2013, 03:50:59 PM »

whaam

• True Member
I don't really like the latest comments but....that's why forums exist. People say anything.
1st, If you didn't get it..., on our 2nd try with Iron Kings we went with such low goal ONLY so our backers on 1st try could get their deck (but that limbo joke is real funny). We're not going to make any money here, $2,000 will cover printing, shipping (and we'll get few of these decks ourselves, for our collection :).
...I beleive we should be appreciated for doing this, right ? Instead....hmmm

And Rob, yes....you counted right... And no, I don't know any other designers on KS. Diamond cut guy tries 4th time with his design,....you won't see me doing that. If I fail on 30 days, 2nd try will be only around 15 days. If you don't want it,...you don't want it. I create a new one :D
My effort should also be appreciated, don't you think? I created 3 deck designs and got almost nothing from them. And I'm still creating.

Btw, I know something about art and designs,...and,...I wish I was so skilled at marketing...cause when I see what guys are selling and what people buy....really makes me think. Should I be creating decks with only minor changes, call 'em custom deck and start a campaign on KS ?
I bet that would bring me some success..., it does to others.

But, I'm not that guy,....when I offer you something...it's original and it's hard work ! Why we didn't make it with Emotions, Iron Kings and Creepy... Obviously, most of you didn't like 'em. But I still believe they're much more than a lot of others got to offer.
And I really, really...don't understand why Creepy didn't make it (as many of my backers, 257 of them :)) I guess we all ask ourselves the same questions..."did you see that art?" "what the..."

I did get 1 satisfaction from those designs actually... Emotions decks are sold in stores worldwide,...even in Las Vegas!!! Good enough for now.

While we're live with Iron Kings, and IF you LIKE the DESIGN...you can pledge for it (big thanks to those that did :),....I'm also working on another design that is gonna be faaaaaaaaaaaaaantastic. Totally original, again.
Though, Creepy will be back also, USPCC funding goal was close...next time....it's gonna make it.

I appreciate your comments and hope you understand my point of view even....if you don't agree with it (and you should :)

Johnny

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2013, 09:53:10 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I don't really like the latest comments but....that's why forums exist. People say anything.
1st, If you didn't get it..., on our 2nd try with Iron Kings we went with such low goal ONLY so our backers on 1st try could get their deck (but that limbo joke is real funny). We're not going to make any money here, $2,000 will cover printing, shipping (and we'll get few of these decks ourselves, for our collection :).
...I beleive we should be appreciated for doing this, right ? Instead....hmmm

You mistook my comment as negative.  It was simply informational.  Two grand is an exceptionally low goal for any project.

While Iron Kings isn't my cup o' tea, I do recognize the work that went into it and the quality of that work.  And I did like the Creepy deck as well - I'm just not investing in any decks at the moment.

Re: IRON KINGS, live on Kickstarter..!!
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2013, 10:37:54 PM »

S. Carey

• Forum Regular

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
You might have made it if you offered more stretch goals and add-ons such as prints, uncut sheets, t-shirts, poker ships, card clips/cases. If you hit a lull in the funding, reaching out to your current backers is sometimes what takes you over. Sometimes asking flat out for your backers to actually add add-ons can help you out.

Some tips with marketing....
- It is very clear you put a lot of time into the design, so reach out to the countless design blogs on the web to get featured. You might not get featured by all of them but some may bite and share with their audience.

- Based on your themes (especially with Creepy), try contacting horror/comic type blogs as well. You can also try reaching out to the huge players like Uncrate.com. While this takes some time, it can open you up to audiences that wouldn't have found your project otherwise. 

- Facebook advertising doesn't hurt. While I realize there is a cost, you don't have to run ads everyday. I know a $20 budget/day on Facebook can go a long way. 

- Start a blog for your designs/company. Wordpess and blogspot are free and easy to start. Get to know people and build a community around what you do. This takes the most time and often times you will wonder what the point of it is but trust me when I say that the people that stick around on your blog are loyal and will end up being your project advocates.   

- Hang out on the forums and get in on the conversation. This can also be time consuming but you will learn a lot and having friends in the playing card industry can be a great thing when running a project. Having someone with a successful KS project with a huge backer list can be extremely beneficial. Just imagine what could happen if Fed 52 or Uusi or Albino Dragon shared your project.

hopefully that helps....

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2013, 11:36:55 PM »

Fred

• Discourse Lover
  • Dis legit binnis
Scott's advice above is really great. Johnny, as i have said many times in the creepy deck thread, i am positive that as soon as you come up with a better name for the deck, it'll fund. Guaranteed. 'Creepy' deck is in all honesty the worst name for a deck i have come across, especially with such stunning artwork. You cut yourself short on that one. My $0.02.

-Honest words from a loyal backer.
Alex, stop fucking with my name you phegget. xx

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2013, 09:15:32 AM »

whaam

• True Member
Your comment Don, I got it right. That tone and the joke says it all.
I do appreciate your time and your suggestions though. I'm not here just to find backers and collect money for my projects, I'm really not. It's totally OK not to pledge and discuss the design and all, with many good designs out there....who can afford to support them all... I learn from you guys (as you could from me, something, I guess :). We all benefit, at least in aquired knowledge here...

Thanks Froggo, Scott..., I appreciate your suggestions, will try to improve and work on most things you've listed for me. And..., I know I should participate more in discussions (planning to do so), mostly because I really want to say things about other designs, not just to show...I'm there (and most designers won't like what I got to say too,....probably :D)

Johnny

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2013, 12:33:57 PM »

Alex Willis

• Discourse Royalty
  • A penny saved is worthless

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
I'm still on the fence for this deck.  I love the concept...armor.  I'm not fond of the background colors, pips nor the card back, but I do like the tuck box and the armor itself.  I've starred it and will decide on day 15 when this project is ready to end.  I'm still trying to define what makes me buy decks.  80% of it is the artwork - theme, artistry and design.  10% on the tuckbox and 10% on if I think the deck should be made.  I'm currently 50% on the artwork, and 10% equally for the tuck box and need to produce.  The problem is that I need to make it over 80% to make the decision to purchase... :(
Alex Willis
Game Designer

Re: IRON KINGS, funded ! 2 days...and that's it :)
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2013, 08:31:51 PM »

whaam

• True Member
We're over the goal and...if you haven't pledged...., well..now is the time to do it   :D
   You'll all get your decks real soon. I'm sending the files to the printer in 2 days and I expect the delivery in next 15-30 days.
Under 350 decks will be available only !!! No plans for further print. If you want something unique (almost :D), here's the link:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1919680633/iron-kings-playing-cards

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2013, 10:10:51 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Sorry MrMollusk- had to steal it.

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2013, 11:56:37 PM »

Fred

• Discourse Lover
  • Dis legit binnis
Sorry MrMollusk- had to steal it.

Dude, that's pretty fucking disrespectful.

Johnny, i was more impressed with the 'creepy' deck but either way, congratulations on finally being able to see your art go somewhere.
Alex, stop fucking with my name you phegget. xx

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2013, 10:10:45 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Rob, I have to agree with Froggo here.  What were you thinking?

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2013, 12:52:51 PM »

Candace B

• DeviantArt:
Agreed. Congratulation Whaam on getting your deck funded! :D It's good to see you having this success after so much work. Hope you can get your creepy deck funded soon as well. :]

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2013, 09:34:04 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Rob, I have to agree with Froggo here.  What were you thinking?
Maybe too harsh, but I have my reasons. No sense in shooting the proverbial dead horse. So we'll leave it at that.

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB