You are Here:
Hello Discourse peeps! :]

Author (Read 624 times)

Hello Discourse peeps! :]
« on: August 17, 2013, 01:10:27 AM »

Candace B

• DeviantArt:
Hey everybody! My name is Candace and I am a new member here. :] I’ve actually been lurking and reading the forums here for a number of months but I hadn’t become a member until now. I enjoy playing cards and finding pretty new decks but I am much more an artist and designer then I am a card collector.

I discover this forum when I attempted to create a deck and launched it on kickstarter a few months back. I launched it as the “Elements” deck. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1918004349/elements-playing-card-deck?ref=live I even got a few backers from the link that was posted about it in this forum and that’s how I found this place. :]

Like I said, I love playing with cards and finding awesome new decks but I’m not very familiar with it (not like all of you guys anyway). I am an artist by trade and am beyond excited by the idea of producing art for a deck. Since my first attempt at designing a deck back in April I have fallowed this forum closely to try and learn more about the trends for decks on kickstarter, what things work, and what things don’t. I finally decided to become a member here because I feel I’ve learned a lot from you guys.  I want to be able to comment as well and give back to the community from an artist’s perspective if I can. I am also working on a new and vastly improved deck and am excited to show you guys what I’ve got soon. :]

You guys are awesome! I'm excited to be here! :D

Re: Hello Discourse peeps! :]
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 03:31:42 AM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
That's a really cool concept for a deck. I'm not a fan of the monotone backs, or the overwhelming amount of green. I think everything that isn't directly involved with the "elements" would be better off monochrome, or just pure white.

That said, the rest is pretty sweet. The pips are my favorite part (I love custom pip design).

Welcome to the forums, Candace! I hope your next go with the project will be more successful. 2-3 years ago you'd have easily pulled in at least $20k. Funding a deck is extremely hard now, just because of how over-saturated the market is (especially on Kickstarter).

Remember, just because you didn't succeed on KS with a deck, doesn't mean your deck isn't great. These days it's more about marketing, visibility and getting well-known people to spread the word than it is anything else.

Feel free to post your new deck's progress in Design & Dev, too!
Forum Founder.

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 05:07:01 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Hey, Candace,

Welcome aboard.  As I hope you know by now, we're a pretty friendly bunch and we tend to play nice and not bite much...  :))

I loved your comments on the Creepy deck - you have a very keen artistic eye, that's for certain.  You may find people here who are interested in working with you - aspiring card designers lacking artistic skills in particular!

I look forward to seeing some preliminary work on your new deck.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 01:13:08 PM »

Candace B

• DeviantArt:
Thanks guys! And thanks Alex for the advice on my last deck. There are some things that I still like about it, and some other things that I think I can do much better this time around. Marketing being one of them. :] The other big one is similar to what I was just saying about the creepy deck, that the art wasn't consistent as a whole. Again, something I think I can do much better this time around. And I am going to be sticking with the elements theme again though I probably won't call it that again. I think it's a cool theme that has the potential to be a really cool deck, it just hasn't been done well yet. At least not on kickstarter. :]

I have a question for you guys though. I'd like to get some opinions on what people think of fantasy art decks. (meaning art that is full color and looks either illustrative or like video game art) I was going to start a topic around that in the design thread but I don't know if that's the right place.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 01:17:24 PM by Candace B »

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 04:28:15 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Thanks guys! And thanks Alex for the advice on my last deck. There are some things that I still like about it, and some other things that I think I can do much better this time around. Marketing being one of them. :] The other big one is similar to what I was just saying about the creepy deck, that the art wasn't consistent as a whole. Again, something I think I can do much better this time around. And I am going to be sticking with the elements theme again though I probably won't call it that again. I think it's a cool theme that has the potential to be a really cool deck, it just hasn't been done well yet. At least not on kickstarter. :]

I have a question for you guys though. I'd like to get some opinions on what people think of fantasy art decks. (meaning art that is full color and looks either illustrative or like video game art) I was going to start a topic around that in the design thread but I don't know if that's the right place.

You can start that topic in Playing Card Plethora if you'd like!
Forum Founder.

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 07:24:21 AM »

atomicfrancisco

Heya, I'm new on here too! just saying hi!

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 03:31:32 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Welcome Candace! Great community here as I see you have found out, lol

I hope you keep on trying to get your deck produced, it's daunting I'm sure at 1st, but take advice and add your personal touches and I'm sure it will become reality. Can't wait to see your "Sneek Peeks"

In response to your fantasy decks question..............I'm a big fan, Anne Stokes is the reason I eneded up here in the 1st place  ;)

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2013, 12:28:49 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Welcome Candace,
Definitely get some of your work up in Design & Development. There are a lot of great Artist/Designers on the forum. You can get a lot of good advice, and honest opinions. Good luck on your next project.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB