You are Here:
Do you like beer?

Author (Read 12580 times)

Do you like beer?
« on: August 18, 2013, 12:41:59 AM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
So I had my 1st beer today, even though I am not legal for 10 months, I did not really enjoy it. It was a summer shady and I enjoyed the lemonade part but I felt the beet taste was over bearing. It tasted familiar but I have never drank before, anything not beer that taste like beer?
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

Re: Do you like beer?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 02:01:33 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
So I had my 1st beer today, even though I am not legal for 10 months, I did not really enjoy it. It was a summer shady and I enjoyed the lemonade part but I felt the beet taste was over bearing. It tasted familiar but I have never drank before, anything not beer that taste like beer?

OK, first things first: a summer shandy is NOT a beer.  It has beer in it and comes in a bottle, but that's where the similarity ends.  :))

To the uninitiated, beer can taste pretty bad, especially if it's some cheap, mass-produced swill of a lager.  Try starting off more slowly with alcoholic beverages in general.  Try a hard lemonade or a hard cider.  The cider is all apple juice but hard lemonade is made with malt liquor.  By itself, malt liquor is terrible unless your sole goal is to get shit-faced fast, but cut with lemonade it can be very tasty.  Plus it's not as candy-sweet as a shandy.

After that, try a lambic ale.  Ale tends to be stronger than lager, but lambic ales are easy on the palate - they're made with fruits in the mix to give them a really nice flavor.  I've seen raspberry and peach myself and I know there are other varieties (when I drank, though, I didn't usually have more than a sip because I'm not big on fruits for some reason).  Lambic ale makes a good transition from simple alcoholic beverages to great beers.

By this time, you're ready for some real lagers and ales.  I could recommend a raft of such beers!  A good one for this time of year would be Bohemia Lager from Mexico.  Pronounced "bow-HEM-ee-ah," it's an awesome summer beer for its light but rich flavor - it's actually thirst-quenching rather than dehydrating like most alcohol.

Oh, and yes, you MUST drink a lot of water when drinking beers.  Hangovers are largely from impurities in the alcohol (beer is NOT pure alcohol, shandies even less so) and the dehydration from the alcohol.  Have a beer, have an equal amount of water before the next beer - you'll have a much stronger chance of not getting seriously hung over.  It also helps you enjoy the beer more, clearing out your palate so you can actually taste it; once you're inebriated, you won't notice flavor quite so much, so a cheap-ass lager or a fine, aged ale or stout would make little difference to your tongue.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 03:09:57 AM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Hi! Welcome to drinking 101. I'll be your guide in this mysterious new world of getting wasted.

Mixed Drinks: Can taste absolutely fucking delicious, and some can get you drunk very quickly. However, they're pricey, take a while to make, and you won't find them in a grocery store.

Wine: Everyone's taste on this varies. Find out what you like, and drink it at classy social gatherings or with dinner. Some cheap wine can be great, some expensive wine can taste like dicks.

Beer: The man's drink. Unfortunately, to many people, it tastes like vomit. If it tastes "familiar" to you it is because you're tasting fermentation, AKA yeast. Great for relaxed gatherings, parties, etc. Terrible for getting drunk off of, and also leaves you with a bad case of gas.

Hard Liquor: Shots! Don't be a pussy and try some hard liquor. The taste is very bad at first, but the more you drink, the more used to the taste of alcohol you get. Likewise, the more drunk you are, the less you can taste the alcohol. Good liquor can have a very enjoyable taste, but that being said I still thought I was drinking Sharpie ink the first time I tried bourbon.

Malt Liquor: Stick to this if you don't like the taste of alcohol at all.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 02:04:42 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Don't like beer at all.
I'll take a vodka and cranberry.
Don't buy cheap vodka. It's harsh.  Goose is good, but I refuse to buy french liquor.
Belvedere is expensive, buy you only need a few to feel pretty good. :P
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 03:04:14 PM »

Curt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
*insert I remember my first beer joke*

JK,

Anyway, here in British Columbia the legal age for consuming alcohol is 19 and a lot of families I know are fairly lenient with that, so drinking usually starts early high school around age 16/17. I know some may debate that as being harmful, but that is not what this topic is about. When I started to drink beer around the age of 16, I didn't mind the taste, but it was not what I would call refreshing. Now, 5 years later and many.....many beers later I find beer quite enjoyable to drink. Some members of my extended family are quite into beer, so they always have craft beer of some sort that range greatly in body and flavour.

After tasting and getting accustomed to beer that has a more pronounced flavour and a higher alcohol content (10-15% instead of ~5%), I tend to dislike many of the lighter beers because they lack complexity. Saying that, If I am going to a party or consuming more beer than just a casual one with some friends, I always will choose something light because it is far easier to drink larger amounts of.

I 100% concur with Don mentioning how important water is to drink when consuming alcohol, I usually will drink 1 bottle of water for every beer I have, if I am "going hard" that night. That may be a bit overkill but I absolutely hate feeling like death in the morning and wasting a day recovering. If you choose to drink mixed drink, or drinks with a high sugar content, they may taste better but can lead to worse hangovers with the sugar content.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 03:05:39 PM by Curt »

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 08:32:40 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
If you decide to try whisky, Irish tends to be the smoothest.  Bourbons have a perfume-y aftertaste, Scotch can be a little rough around the edges.  Irish whiskey and Scotch are in essence the same - same ingredients, same distillation process - but the grain for Scotch is dried with peat fires as opposed to air-dried for Irish whiskey, and Scotch is double-distilled whereas Irish is triple-distilled.  The best commonly-available brand would be Black Bush, the top-shelf version of Bushmills.

Little known facts: whisky is spelled without an "e" unless it's Irish - then it's spelled whiskey.  It comes from the Gaelic phrase "uiske beatha," meaning "water of life."  It's kind of funny, because throughout Dublin the manhole covers connected to the water supply are marked uiske!

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 10:24:19 PM »

john

• cham cham cham
  • Frequent Flyer
  • "Shh don't wake the bitches" - Zimos
I don't know what any of these people said because I don't read Talk Park threads buuuuuut....

Beer, eh depends on what kind of beer, most taste like piss, some microbrews are enjoyable
Shots depending on the quality of liquor can actually be good. aka dont fuck with popov you cheap bastard
Mixed Drinks. Can get expensive if you're going out but are damn tastey! Also most likely for you to gain weight, just throwing it out there if that is a concern of yours
"I got my people, watching the corners, letting me know where the bitches are." - Zimos

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 09:10:23 PM »

agera94

• Discourse Veteran
I like beer and I love my rum. But never ever mix vodka and coke/juice/anything sweet as you 'may' forget what you're drinking has alcohol in it, and after too many drinks will projectile vomit...  :karrit:

If I were an eskimo, I would build my igloo next to a supermarket.

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 11:04:03 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
I like beer and I love my rum. But never ever mix vodka and coke/juice/anything sweet as you 'may' forget what you're drinking has alcohol in it, and after too many drinks will projectile vomit...  :karrit:

I can't see drinking Vodka with out a mixer. It needs something to add flavor. The key is not to drink too many, and as many have pointed out- drink water.

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 12:51:30 AM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
So tonight I decided to make a jack and coke with no idea how to. I think it was maybe a 60/40 mix. It was quite the shock with the 1st sip. Diluted it with more coke in another glass and was able to drink the one I had. Once the buzz started to kick in I put the rest in a jar for later. I need to use an oven and don't want to be drunk. Hopefully its still good in a few days on my next night off. What are your guys 1st time drinking stories?
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 01:49:24 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
So tonight I decided to make a jack and coke with no idea how to. I think it was maybe a 60/40 mix. It was quite the shock with the 1st sip. Diluted it with more coke in another glass and was able to drink the one I had. Once the buzz started to kick in I put the rest in a jar for later. I need to use an oven and don't want to be drunk. Hopefully its still good in a few days on my next night off. What are your guys 1st time drinking stories?

If the Jack & Coke is already mixed- it won't be good later. Invest in a shot glass or jigger. Use it to measure for your mixed drinks. That way you don't over pour. That will also help you adjust your ratio to what you like taste wise. Keep in mind different liquors have different alcohol levels. Typically rum is less than vodka or whiskey. Think about how you want your drinking night to go. If you just want to chill with some friends, and have 4-5 drinks- go with the lighter stuff. Remember most people are fun when they have a nice buzz going. Drunks just turn into assholes.

The story
I'm not a huge drinker. I actually did not get drunk for the first time until I was 21. One night I decided to get drunk just to do it. It was late, so no liquor stores were open. My buddy had about a 1/2 pint of Southern Comfort, and about the same of Wild Turkey. My buddy drove, and I drank from the bottles until they were gone. I didn't feel drunk. When I jumped out of the car to piss. Down I went.
Ah memories.

Edit- Of course this advice is for when you are legal. I would never condone underage drinking ;)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 01:52:50 AM by Rob Wright »

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2013, 04:17:02 AM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
This was my 1st time, and technically I am only 20, so not exactly legal...

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2013, 06:25:03 AM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:

I can't see drinking Vodka with out a mixer. It needs something to add flavor. The key is not to drink too many, and as many have pointed out- drink water.

I like the lack of flavor in Vodka! Then again, I am Russian, and I was accustomed to it from the age of 7 when I was first allowed to try it.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2013, 08:34:35 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

For any "shot-and-a-mixer" drink, typically served in a rocks glass with ice, the rule of thumb is to fill the rocks glass with ice, pour a shot and add the mixer, aiming for about a 50/50 mix between the two.

And no, flat soda mixed with Jack Daniels won't be all that tasty days later...

If the Jack & Coke is already mixed- it won't be good later. Invest in a shot glass or jigger. Use it to measure for your mixed drinks. That way you don't over pour. That will also help you adjust your ratio to what you like taste wise. Keep in mind different liquors have different alcohol levels. Typically rum is less than vodka or whiskey. Think about how you want your drinking night to go. If you just want to chill with some friends, and have 4-5 drinks- go with the lighter stuff. Remember most people are fun when they have a nice buzz going. Drunks just turn into assholes.

Measuring mixed drinks is good - I was professionally trained as a bartender and we all started using a jigger, the best being (in ounces) 1 by 1.5.  One ounce on the small side, an ounce-and-a-half on the big side.  That's for a house where an ounce is the house shot - typical of many joints.  Some go smaller, some go bigger.  The jigger is invaluable in making the "make-or-break" drinks - drinks that have to be made perfectly due to there being very little mixer in them to disguise mistakes.

The alcohol levels of the vast majority of liquors (not liqueurs) sold in the US are 86 proof.  Divide the proof number in half to get the percentage of alcohol by volume, so 86 proof = 43% alcohol by volume.  This came about with government regulation of the manufacture of alcohol following prohibition - you rarely see "bonded whisky" these days, but "bonded" meant it was made under direct government supervision.  The Feds did this because during Prohibition there was a LOT of skanky stuff out there being passed off as liquor, some of which being dangerous if not deadly.

But back to my point - most booze is 86 proof.  Jack Daniel's makes a green-labeled 80 proof whisky (it's a bit smoother, actually rather tasty).  Southern Comfort comes in a 101 proof variety as well as 86.  Some rum brands make a "151" version, 151 proof (and highly flammable).  Everclear is 190 proof, the next best thing to pure alcohol - you should never drink this stuff straight unless you really, really don't like yourself much.  Beyond these and a few other variations, the rest is 86 proof.  Alcohol recipes are made based on the liquor being of a consistent strength and the bar and restaurant industries depend on this as a measure of knowing just how much alcohol a patron has in their system.

Rum will TASTE like it's lower in alcohol because it's sweeter - most rums are made of sugar.  Vodka can be harsh because you taste the alcohol more.  Whiskies like Scotch are harsher to new drinkers because of the peat smoke flavor - peat fires are used to dry the grain and the smell becomes part of the finished product.  Bourbons (including "Kentucky whisky") have a taste more like perfume - this comes from the barrels.  Bourbon is aged in fresh barrels that have been charred on the inside to impart some of the carbon and the sap into the whisky - it gives bourbon a distinct flavor, and many liquor companies will actually buy used bourbon barrels for aging other liquors because of the flavors imparted into them by the bourbon aging process.  It's kinda strange, but good-condition used aging barrels will fetch a good price.

Yeah, I'm a mother-ef'in' encyclopedia...

This is my own recipe for a drink that will keep the night going very nicely with a minimum of casualties.  Women will like it more than men, but the formula is adjustable for men's palates.

The Poolside
Fill a tall (or Collins) glass with ice to the top
1 ounce Malibu rum liqueur
1/2 ounce Amaretto Di Saronno
Fill to the top with orange juice
Garnish with an orange slice

For added flavor, leave room to dribble (pour slowly and in a small amount) some peach schnapps over the top.

For a more Caribbean flavor, substitute mango juice for orange juice.

For just a little more kick (more of a love tap, really), substitute Malibu Black (70 proof) for Malibu (42 proof).

For a different flavor that's less sweet, "come to the Dockside..."

The Dockside
Fill a tall (or Collins) glass with ice to the top.
1 ounce spiced rum - my preference is hard to get: Conch Republic Spiced Rum with 24k gold flakes.  It's only sold in Key West, FL.  Captain Morgan's will do fine.
1 or 2 "spits" Amaretto Di Saronno
Fill to halfway with club soda
Fill to top with orange juice (or citrus juice[-s] of choice)
Squeeze a lime wedge over it and toss it in (optional)

A "spit" is when you use a bartender's spigot on the bottle, cover the air hole in the back and just turn over and return the bottle quickly, releasing about the amount of liquid one would when spitting.

For a little more kick, just a little dribble of overproof rum on top, such as Bacardi 151.

The drink has a great flavor to it but it's not knock-you-on-your-ass strong.  You could have a few of these over the course of an evening and keep a mellow buzz on without going over the top, unless you chug these like shooters.  Even then, there's so much mixer in there, you're likely to fill up your stomach before you have enough alcohol to do any real damage.

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2013, 04:44:34 PM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
The coke was not flat, I put it in a jar with a lid. and so I have been up for a little over 2 hours and I already mixed some of it with more coke and am drinking it. I becoming one of those guys who drink in the morning  :-[ :mindf-ck: :t11: :karrit: 8) :(

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2013, 02:45:17 AM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
Basically gone through a 2 litter of coke in one day, I never drink soda. :( I need to not do mixed drinks anymore. :( Also gone through most my bottle of jack tonight. It had a few oz gone already and has maybe 3 left, man this stuff is not cheap. I will not be doing this for a while. Partially because the only person willing to buy me some has left the state. :(

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2013, 03:23:32 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Basically gone through a 2 litter of coke in one day, I never drink soda. :( I need to not do mixed drinks anymore. :( Also gone through most my bottle of jack tonight. It had a few oz gone already and has maybe 3 left, man this stuff is not cheap. I will not be doing this for a while. Partially because the only person willing to buy me some has left the state. :(
Wow! slow down a little. A few tips-
Don't drink alone. We all want to see you make an ass of yourself getting drunk.
If you want to drink cheap- learn to like beer- cheap beer.
Try some other liquors- decent Rum is not that expensive. Some Vodkas like Absolut and Sky are pretty good, and not hard on the pocket.
One of my go to drinks is a Malibu & Coke. Malibu is a coconut rum liqueur. I think it is only 21% alcohol, so you can drink 4-5 over a couple hours, and not be hammered. You can get a fifth for around $15

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2013, 03:28:39 AM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
When is it acceptable to drink alone?

You can drink hard alcohol now and then after a particularly terrible or amazing day. If you feel anything more than a slight buzz from what you drink, you've drank to much.

You can also drink a beer with your lunch/dinner. That means two beers a day at the most if you're alone.

Making yourself mixed drinks is acceptable if you are a bartender and you need to learn to make a new drink, or if you are entertaining for guests soon and you want to serve them a kickass cocktail.

Here's a good tip. If you have to ask yourself if it's weird/sad that you're drinking what you're drinking alone, you shouldn't be drinking that.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2013, 03:37:00 AM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
I am drunk. I am underage so drinking with others is somewhat hard to do. I was still fine after all the jack and coke. Did not start feelig drunk till I was drinking a couple beers. I work night shift, my friends wrok on my nighst off. I enjoyed the drinks, and this feels really weird. It was a small bottle like 375ml I am saving some. I had some of my pre mixed re mixed with more coke earlier today, just to drink and now drank the rest of what I said I went through. I feel this was a good night though no driving I can barely type

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2013, 03:41:34 AM »

Maskedfreakinabox

• True Member

• Kickstarter:

I like high-end beer. I hate cheep beer. I'm a liquor snob. I admit it. I really like George Dickel No.12 Whiskey. For Vodka, Chopin is my choice. I like good old Bombay Sapphire gin. Schnapps can go either way with me. I like good wines and champagnes. However, for those looking for a particularly potent mix, try Horilka. It's a spirit we have back in the Ukraine (where my family originates) and it will absolutely kick your ass if you are accustomed to the Western palette. It is essentially Vodka, but made with mineral water so it has a slightly oily texture and mineral water-like taste. It is traditionally flavored with a mixture of honey and cayenne pepper IN THE BOTTLE so that the entire drink absorbs ALL of the heat and sweet over time. Oh, by the way I've never seen it lower than 120 proof. Nemiroff is my preferred brand for this. Enjoy.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 03:43:42 AM by Maskedfreakinabox »

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2013, 11:41:46 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
I am drunk. I am underage so drinking with others is somewhat hard to do. I was still fine after all the jack and coke. Did not start feelig drunk till I was drinking a couple beers. I work night shift, my friends wrok on my nighst off. I enjoyed the drinks, and this feels really weird. It was a small bottle like 375ml I am saving some. I had some of my pre mixed re mixed with more coke earlier today, just to drink and now drank the rest of what I said I went through. I feel this was a good night though no driving I can barely type

John B.
Did you make it through the night without puking your guts out?

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2013, 08:40:05 AM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
I was fine. Went to bed around an hour and half after my last drink, woke up, worked out and then went to church. No hangover or anything.

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2013, 02:31:38 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
When is it acceptable to drink alone?

You can drink hard alcohol now and then after a particularly terrible or amazing day. If you feel anything more than a slight buzz from what you drink, you've drank to much.

You can also drink a beer with your lunch/dinner. That means two beers a day at the most if you're alone.

Making yourself mixed drinks is acceptable if you are a bartender and you need to learn to make a new drink, or if you are entertaining for guests soon and you want to serve them a kickass cocktail.

Here's a good tip. If you have to ask yourself if it's weird/sad that you're drinking what you're drinking alone, you shouldn't be drinking that.

From a medical standpoint, two drinks a day, every day, is really not healthy.  Assuming typical percentages of alcohol by volume, 12 ounces of beer, 5 ounces of wine, 2 ounces of liqueur and 1 ounce of liquor would all qualify as "a drink."  Drinking that much, you'll have a hell of a beer gut and your liver and kidneys won't be happy.  Two drinks perhaps two times a week is far better, and definitely not more than three.

Back when I was still a drinker, my doctor advised me to have exactly one glass of red wine (5 oz.) a day.  It was to raise my good cholesterol levels, the thinning action on the blood helps prevent clots from forming in the veins and is good for the heart because of the tannins in red wine.  White wine lacks an adequate amount of tannins for the health benefit to kick in before the alcohol consumed canceled it out.

I no longer drink because of a hereditary blood clotting issue that I take medication for.  The medication combined with enough alcohol will cause uncontrolled bleeding from places you're not supposed to bleed.  So toss one back for me once in a while, OK?  :))

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2013, 12:45:16 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
So toss one back for me once in a while, OK?  :))

I think John tossed 5 or 6 back for you the other night.

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2013, 08:41:54 AM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
I drank a bottle of jack for you Don.