You are Here:
Do you like beer?

Author (Read 12562 times)

Re: Do you like beer?
« Reply #75 on: October 16, 2013, 08:30:09 AM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
pssh we are online and I could always say its part of my religious beliefs, or its medical, helps me through my stress. :)
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #76 on: October 16, 2013, 03:56:26 PM »

ronyo_faukx

• Elite Member
  • What does the Faukx say?

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

Definitely an alcoholic then
Who wants to play '52 Card Pickup'?

« Reply #77 on: October 16, 2013, 07:10:06 PM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
Hey, if it makes it semi legal (its ok if its for medical purposes) I will use it. lol
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #78 on: October 17, 2013, 04:25:34 AM »

ronyo_faukx

• Elite Member
  • What does the Faukx say?

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

Hey, if it makes it semi legal (its ok if its for medical purposes) I will use it. lol

Isn't that the excuse used by those kids who were getting drunk off of drinking mouthwash?
Who wants to play '52 Card Pickup'?

« Reply #79 on: October 17, 2013, 08:39:42 AM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
you can get drunk off mouthwash? you can actually stand it enough to swallow? (thats what she said! lol)

« Reply #80 on: October 18, 2013, 12:13:57 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

Isn't that the excuse used by those kids who were getting drunk off of drinking mouthwash?

you can get drunk off mouthwash? you can actually stand it enough to swallow? (thats what she said! lol)

Actually, the ingredients in most common mouthwashes will KILL you, even the ones without any alcohol in them.  Those kids weren't drinking mouthwash - they were drinking a green alcoholic beverage DISGUISED as mouthwash in a mouthwash bottle.  A popular concoction for such work would be a 50/50 mix of green creme de menthe and vodka - practically smells like mouthwash.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 12:14:15 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #81 on: October 18, 2013, 08:09:59 AM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
hmm interesting don, send me some. :)

« Reply #82 on: October 18, 2013, 01:07:13 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
hmm interesting don, send me some. :)

Now, y'see, that would be enabling...

« Reply #83 on: October 18, 2013, 02:47:47 PM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
I have not idea what your talking about. Its not like I have a problem. We joke that I have one but we know I am good.

« Reply #84 on: October 18, 2013, 11:16:29 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I have not idea what your talking about. Its not like I have a problem. We joke that I have one but we know I am good.

Actually, you do have a problem.  You need to turn up the sensitivity a little on your humor detector...  :))

« Reply #85 on: October 21, 2013, 02:01:55 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:

Actually, you do have a problem.  You need to turn up the sensitivity a little on your humor detector...  :))

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #86 on: October 21, 2013, 02:12:46 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

You're still using the beta version for Win95?!?  No wonder your jokes keep crashing!  Perhaps you should try an OS and a HumorSense(TM) made in THIS generation...  :))
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 02:13:12 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #87 on: September 13, 2014, 01:58:15 AM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
Hey so just figured I would say I am 21 now, have been for a few months. And in this time I drank an entire thing of 375 ml thing of candian whisky  and got sick, at my grandma while I was visisting no less. Had a bunch of different drinks Kinda know what I like. 151 is nice. Seeing my friend light it on fire before I drink it though was scary. I am trying a mix and match 6 pack of beers right now. I dont like guinness. Also had a corona since turning 21 and dont like it. I dont think I like beer but I am giving a bunch a shot.

« Reply #88 on: September 13, 2014, 02:18:12 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Hey so just figured I would say I am 21 now, have been for a few months. And in this time I drank an entire thing of 375 ml thing of candian whisky  and got sick, at my grandma while I was visisting no less. Had a bunch of different drinks Kinda know what I like. 151 is nice. Seeing my friend light it on fire before I drink it though was scary. I am trying a mix and match 6 pack of beers right now. I dont like guinness. Also had a corona since turning 21 and dont like it. I dont think I like beer but I am giving a bunch a shot.
I've tried many different beers. Have never liked one of them. Give me a nice mixed drink. I'm good to go.

I've never acquired a taste for wine either. I wish I liked it. When ever I'm out to eat. I always notice the wine drinkers. They're always having a good time, laid back, chill. There's something appealing about sitting around with a group of friends, sharing a nice bottle of wine, comparing it to the bottle you tried last week(night, hour).
No one sits around comparing Jack Daniels to the bottle of Jack they had last week.

Just remember John- Moderation!
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #89 on: September 13, 2014, 09:14:55 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Keep the liquor drinking to a shot per hour, with pints of water between, and you're a lot less likely to become ill.  You might, depending on laws in your state, remain under the legal limit for intoxication - though if you drive like an idiot, sober or drunk, you can still get busted.

You need to find the right beers.  Most mass-produced American beer is swill, unfortunately.  You'll do better with some imports - Molson's from Canada (higher % alc./vol.) is good, Kirin from Japan is good, Kirin Ichiban ("ichiban" in Japanese is "number one" or "first" in English) is fantastic though not easy to find (some shops will let you special-order the poison of your choice).

A great beer for hot summer days is Bohemia - very thirst-quenching.  Was the Corona served with a wedge of lime?  You're supposed to squeeze it in the neck of the bottle, pushing it inside, then drink.  But then again, if a beer needs help from a fruit, just how good can it be?

The KING of winter beer is Samiclaus from Switzerland.  It's a Christmas celebration beer that's only brewed during the holidays, with each new batch coming available I think in November (yes, it's really aged).  Gotta go easy on them - it's 15% alc./vol., so it's alcohol content is equal to the same volume in wine or three to four American beers of the same volume.  The few places in New York that still serve it limit patrons to no more than two bottles.

The KING of ALL beers is Chimay Grande Reserve Ale.  Brewed by Trappist monks in Belgium, you have to taste it to know what incredibly good beer tastes like - there's little that compares.  It's packaged in bottles that are corked and sealed like champagne!  Chimay also produces a few lesser grades, and a competitor brewery, Corsendonk, also makes some fantastic ales, also corked like Chimay.

« Reply #90 on: September 13, 2014, 02:49:44 PM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
Yea since the night of getting wasted I have learned moderation, lol. And the corana did have lime. My friend really likes them, I dont. I do prefer mixed drinks. Rum and orange juice is good. Also screwdrivers.

« Reply #91 on: September 14, 2014, 02:03:22 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Yea since the night of getting wasted I have learned moderation, lol. And the corana did have lime. My friend really likes them, I dont. I do prefer mixed drinks. Rum and orange juice is good. Also screwdrivers.

Try a screwdriver with a splash of ginger ale in it.  Totally kills the taste of the vodka.

« Reply #92 on: September 14, 2014, 09:44:50 AM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
Try a screwdriver with a splash of ginger ale in it.  Totally kills the taste of the vodka.

I like the vodka though... might give it a shot as I enjoy ginger ale. A friend of mine gave me this apple vodka he did not like and I found its not bad with the oj. Also found out I like wheat beer. And stouts. Last night I had a chocolate stout, and a samuel adams cherry wheat

« Reply #93 on: September 15, 2014, 12:39:44 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
If you like stouts, those ales I mentioned are right up your alley.

Also, see if you can find any lambic ales - they're made with fruits such as peach, raspberry, etc.  They go down very easily.

And of course, you have to try the king of all stouts, Guinness!  Best to get it on tap, but now they make the can and the bottle with "the gadget" - a device used to do something to the stout so that when you pour it out into a glass, it reacts in pretty much the same way as if you'd poured it from the tap.  It really only works when poured, so never drink Guinness in the container it came in.

BTW: if you find any porter as well - it's just another name for stout!  The name came into being because it was the favorite beverage of the Irish porters working in England.

« Reply #94 on: September 15, 2014, 08:51:10 AM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
If you like stouts, those ales I mentioned are right up your alley.

Also, see if you can find any lambic ales - they're made with fruits such as peach, raspberry, etc.  They go down very easily.

And of course, you have to try the king of all stouts, Guinness!  Best to get it on tap, but now they make the can and the bottle with "the gadget" - a device used to do something to the stout so that when you pour it out into a glass, it reacts in pretty much the same way as if you'd poured it from the tap.  It really only works when poured, so never drink Guinness in the container it came in.

BTW: if you find any porter as well - it's just another name for stout!  The name came into being because it was the favorite beverage of the Irish porters working in England.

Hmm they may have been why I did not like the Guinness. That was the first one I tried, I think the bottle said Guinness draught. I hated it. But the stout from the other night was good.

« Reply #95 on: September 16, 2014, 12:10:26 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Hmm they may have been why I did not like the Guinness. That was the first one I tried, I think the bottle said Guinness draught. I hated it. But the stout from the other night was good.

Here's an article on the device used in Guinness cans and bottles - the company calls it a "widget".  It went into mass use in the late 1980s.  Its purpose is to inject the beer with nitrogen gas to give it a creamier head when poured immediately after opening, which improves the flavor in a serving of Guinness.  They had a patent on it for a while, but competing brewers now offer the same device in their stouts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Widget_%28beer%29

Interesting fact: when it was rented on 31 Dec. 1759, Arthur Guinness signed a lease for the St. James' Gate Brewery's property, located in the heart of Dublin - 45 Irish pounds per year, with a term of NINE THOUSAND YEARS.  The lease is now void, due both to legal changes on how leases are drawn as well as because the brewery and much of the surrounding property was purchased by Guinness over time.

More pertinent interesting fact: most "imported brand" beers in Ireland are brewed under license by Guinness, which is a subsidiary brand of Diageo, the global beer and spirits conglomerate, which at one time also owned the only existing brands of Irish whiskey of the period: Jameson, Bushmills, Paddy, John Powers and Tullamore Dew.  They created a sixth brand, Midleton, named after the town where all the whiskey production was moved to, which was extremely rare and of the hundred barrels bottled each year, only a small fraction of it makes it outside of Ireland.

I used to drink Midleton and it would run over $100 a bottle at the time, with each bottle serial-numbered and signed (by rubber stamp) by the master distiller.  The liquor store I ordered it from was shocked - they never had to sign for a delivery before, but they were made to signed for the two bottles I eventually purchased before the deliveryman would remove it from his truck.  I'd be shocked by now if it wasn't going for at least $150 for a fifth (750ml).  Even more incredible - it came in a display box with a form you could fill out to officially register your ownership of that bottle with the distillery!

I also visited Ireland in '92 with my ex-wife and when I bought cans of Budweiser and Foster's Lager, they were marked as being made by Guinness under license.  I remember spending the Fourth of July sitting in my ex-wife's aunt's apartment/B&B watching on TV the US team lose to Ireland at the first-ever World Cup held in the US.  The aunt wouldn't even let us go to the pub after dark - she lived near "council housing" (their euphemism for "the projects") and felt it wasn't safe.

Wow, do I know how to ramble or what!  :))

« Reply #96 on: September 16, 2014, 02:40:19 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:

Here's an article on the device used in Guinness cans ................................ ???

........................ and felt it wasn't safe.

Wow, do I know how to ramble or what!  :))

:t11:

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #97 on: September 18, 2014, 01:53:11 AM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:
Anybody home brew?  I'm still on kits, but latest is a Belgian style that is over 13%.   :o

I usually only do 2-4 batches a year. Each nets about 48 bottles. Considering switching to kegs.

« Reply #98 on: September 18, 2014, 09:51:06 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Anybody home brew?  I'm still on kits, but latest is a Belgian style that is over 13%.   :o

I usually only do 2-4 batches a year. Each nets about 48 bottles. Considering switching to kegs.

I think if you go for bottles it will stay fresh longer.  But I could fit my knowledge of brewing on a note small enough to fit in a bottle...

« Reply #99 on: September 18, 2014, 11:15:06 AM »

Magasaki

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
If you decide to try whisky, Irish tends to be the smoothest.  Bourbons have a perfume-y aftertaste, Scotch can be a little rough around the edges.  Irish whiskey and Scotch are in essence the same - same ingredients, same distillation process - but the grain for Scotch is dried with peat fires as opposed to air-dried for Irish whiskey, and Scotch is double-distilled whereas Irish is triple-distilled.  The best commonly-available brand would be Black Bush, the top-shelf version of Bushmills.

Little known facts: whisky is spelled without an "e" unless it's Irish - then it's spelled whiskey.  It comes from the Gaelic phrase "uiske beatha," meaning "water of life."  It's kind of funny, because throughout Dublin the manhole covers connected to the water supply are marked uiske!

Over here you're likely to meet much disagreement making even slight comparisons between irish and scotch whisky!

In my opinion the only 'proper' whisky is single malt scotch. But I can't drink it often as it gives me chronic heartburn   :(
Collection and Blog - www.magasaki.com
Studio - www.designsharp.co.uk
Blog Facebook - www.facebook.com/magasakicards
Personal Facebook - www.facebook.com/tommajski