You are Here:
HMNIM Playing Cards

Author (Read 8837 times)

Re: HMNIM Playing Cards
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2014, 02:32:04 PM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
$15.38?? was that the cheapest option?  They charged me $7 shipping for 3 decks to WA

« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2014, 05:06:07 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I was gonna pickup 2, but shipping was $15.38 to PA. They really need to work on lowering their shipping costs. That's another pack of cards Oh well. I am going to pass right now. Maybe they'll still be around when my want list is shorter. Thanks to the OP.

You might want to check again J, I put in 2 decks just to see what the shipping was and it was $4.79 for First Class and $8.20 for 2 Day Priority to Illinois.

« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2014, 07:45:27 PM »

vmagic

I was gonna pickup 2, but shipping was $15.38 to PA. They really need to work on lowering their shipping costs. That's another pack of cards Oh well. I am going to pass right now. Maybe they'll still be around when my want list is shorter. Thanks to the OP.

Nevermind the shipping, $12 for a deck is rather expensive itself. If Theory11 can sell decks for $6.95 each, how can Dan & Dave justify almost double the price?

As for the repeating court cards, from what I can tell at least it is slightly different from red to black courts.

« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2014, 08:08:59 PM »

bhong

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
  • Mere-Mortal playing card collector

Nevermind the shipping, $12 for a deck is rather expensive itself. If Theory11 can sell decks for $6.95 each, how can Dan & Dave justify almost double the price?

As for the repeating court cards, from what I can tell at least it is slightly different from red to black courts.

I'd imagine the higher cost is probably due to paying an illustrator plus the fact that it's D&D and HMNIM working together not to mention some of the extras put into the deck like printing inside the tuckcase. Sort of how the Bruce Lee deck cost 15$ as there was probably royalties paid to the Bruce Lee Foundation.

« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2014, 11:01:30 PM »

DarkDerp

• Discourse Veteran

and here is your answer   Click for larger image
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 11:03:14 PM by DarkDerp »
I like to call paper coatings a finish. It makes Don happy.

« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2014, 01:21:15 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
The courts are mostly repeating.  There appears to be a single image for all the queens, one different king and three identical ones, and finally a pair of matched pairs for the Jacks.  Even then, the differences are pretty slight - a turned head, really, and not much else.

I'm tired of lazy design work.  If you're that much of a slacker, just use the standard courts and call it a day; don't make a half-assed effort at something "custom" that looks like it was half-finished and rushed to press.  This looks like somebody phoned it in.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2014, 03:21:00 AM »

th4mo

The courts are mostly repeating.  There appears to be a single image for all the queens, one different king and three identical ones, and finally a pair of matched pairs for the Jacks.  Even then, the differences are pretty slight - a turned head, really, and not much else.

I'm tired of lazy design work.  If you're that much of a slacker, just use the standard courts and call it a day; don't make a half-assed effort at something "custom" that looks like it was half-finished and rushed to press.  This looks like somebody phoned it in.

Look a little closer at the kings and you'll notice the KoH is a suicide king (the trident goes through his head), and the KoD has his head turned to be a One-eyed King. The two black kings are identical to each other.

Similarly, two of the Jacks (JoH, JoS) have their heads turned to be one-eyed, while the other two have both eyes showing, but are otherwise identical.

The queens are all identical to each other.

So, the absolute minimum differentiation to follow the most popular "wild card" conventions, and nothing more...

Still... Lazy Lazy Lazy!!!  >:(

« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2014, 05:51:23 AM »

ozfan30

• 52 Plus Joker Member
I agree with everyone's comments about lazy designs and it is annoying when there is repeating courts. I dont think it will stop since they know they will sell the 2.5k they printed. Especially when those who complain still buy them (I am guilty of this, not meant to shame anyone). I am hoping the tuck looks cool in person.

« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2014, 06:25:59 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I agree with everyone's comments about lazy designs and it is annoying when there is repeating courts. I dont think it will stop since they know they will sell the 2.5k they printed. Especially when those who complain still buy them (I am guilty of this, not meant to shame anyone). I am hoping the tuck looks cool in person.

Welcome aboard, Ozfan!

I think it is taking a toll on them to some extent, and has been for a little while.  D&D are known for the success of the S&M deck series.  On only two occasions have they ever announced the size of a print run: Fulton's Chinatown (5,000) and S&M version 7 (10,000).  FC took, what, four months to sell out?  And the last time I looked, S&Mv7 is still on sale, though the "Carbon Copy" portion of the series is long gone.  Understandable since it was much more limited, fewer than 1,000.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2014, 04:23:58 PM »

10ofclubs

• Discourse Veteran
I think it's a shame the courts repeat, just like the rest of you, but not because the design is lazy. If you were to show me just one king, queen, and jack I'd say the deck looked awesome. The deck had the potential to be really awesome but kind of fell flat.

« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2014, 10:25:22 AM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
The back design is interesting in the uncut format, so I bought one of those to hang on the wall with my other uncuts. I also bought a deck just to have one in my collection, but that's about as excited as I could get.

Art of Play was hinting yesterday that D&D (of which they are a division) is almost sold out, or that's the rumor that they supposedly heard, but in the same breath they also noted that they hafd them in their inventory. Scare marketing? Divide them up, sell out in the main division so that the "SOLD OUT!!!" claim can be made, but still have them in the other division? Just speculation and thinking out loud on my part. For the record, I like Art of Play. They have a lot available and get them to me much quicker than their parent division does.

« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2014, 06:33:01 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Now available on D&D and AoP

« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2014, 07:49:20 AM »

bhong

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
  • Mere-Mortal playing card collector

Art of Play was hinting yesterday that D&D (of which they are a division) is almost sold out, or that's the rumor that they supposedly heard, but in the same breath they also noted that they hafd them in their inventory. Scare marketing? Divide them up, sell out in the main division so that the "SOLD OUT!!!" claim can be made, but still have them in the other division? Just speculation and thinking out loud on my part. For the record, I like Art of Play. They have a lot available and get them to me much quicker than their parent division does.

If that is their strategy, I can't fault them for it. It's a good one 'cause it does work. For something that's for collecting, it's always best to make it as scarce. You always want less supply than demand to help boast the value of the product.

There's a lot of elements of the HMNIM deck that's interesting. Just not enough for me to grab at the price that it's sold at.