You are Here:
Playing Cards on Kickstarter

Author (Read 3205 times)

Re: Playing Cards on Kickstarter
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2013, 01:13:03 AM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
As this has become a shipping conversation I actually have two cents here.  I have been criticized for not including international shipping amounts in my projects, and why???  Because I've been shipping internationally for over 10 years and I know you get screwed if you don't do it right.  International buyers are given an estimate chart so they know approximately what it'll cost to ship a deck (or many) to them.  When it's time to ship, I weigh and calculate the actual cost and send that to the buyer with the option for Priority or Standard.  They then pay me via paypal or amazon.  I am not out of pocket for international shipping! 
Now let's talk about fairness.  Why don't I discount their shipping by $2 which is what it costs me to ship US customers and is included in the deck cost?  Because of the additional headache of doing freaking customs forms and understanding what can and cannot be shipped to certain parts of our world (which includes games and playing cards).

Great practice, no doubt. But doing that on a scale of 1500 backers (which is around how many int backers I have had in total for the Fed projects) it doesn't make sense. That would equate to an unmanageable correspondence and create custom hand input orders for every int. backer.

Totally agree with you on the customs forms, and seriously who ever invented the customs form slip should be tarred and feathered.
Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2013, 02:24:10 AM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Guys, I think we're all forgetting the true bane of shipping.

The heavy package/express mail customs form.

Forum Founder.

« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2013, 02:44:36 AM »

Maskedfreakinabox

• True Member

• Kickstarter:

Guys, I think we're all forgetting the true bane of shipping.

The heavy package/express mail customs form.
Yeah, Ew.

« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2013, 01:05:25 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
As this has become a shipping conversation I actually have two cents here.  I have been criticized for not including international shipping amounts in my projects, and why???  Because I've been shipping internationally for over 10 years and I know you get screwed if you don't do it right.  International buyers are given an estimate chart so they know approximately what it'll cost to ship a deck (or many) to them.  When it's time to ship, I weigh and calculate the actual cost and send that to the buyer with the option for Priority or Standard.  They then pay me via paypal or amazon.  I am not out of pocket for international shipping! 
Now let's talk about fairness.  Why don't I discount their shipping by $2 which is what it costs me to ship US customers and is included in the deck cost?  Because of the additional headache of doing freaking customs forms and understanding what can and cannot be shipped to certain parts of our world (which includes games and playing cards).

Great practice, no doubt. But doing that on a scale of 1500 backers (which is around how many int backers I have had in total for the Fed projects) it doesn't make sense. That would equate to an unmanageable correspondence and create custom hand input orders for every int. backer.

Totally agree with you on the customs forms, and seriously who ever invented the customs form slip should be tarred and feathered.

Hasn't someone created a template for printing Customs documents yet?  The Postal Service is shifting over to having their customers print forms - even postage - at home.  If someone hasn't - shouldn't they?  :))
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2013, 01:20:44 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:

Hasn't someone created a template for printing Customs documents yet?  The Postal Service is shifting over to having their customers print forms - even postage - at home.  If someone hasn't - shouldn't they?  :))

This is on stamps.com website. Not sure how easy it is to use for customs forms

All USPS Services at your Fingertips
•All mail classes including Priority, Priority Mail Express, First-Class™ and Media Mail
•International shipping (including First-Class) with customs forms included
•Package insurance up to $10,000
•Free USPS supplies including Flat Rate Boxes

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2013, 09:24:13 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I haven't hand written a custom form since 2011. My postage/labeling software can print all of the official custom forms, both the large one (only needed for large flat rate boxes) and the small form, which nicely prints on my 4x6" label machine and can be used on everything else.

Printing ose small custom forms, with integrated postage, has probably saved me collective weeks of time.
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out