You are Here:
Kings Wild Development Thread

Author (Read 17613 times)

Re: Kings Wild - Signature Series
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2013, 08:09:02 AM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Just as a single card back, I like the B1 best. The A1 does have a great fan effect though.

I'm agreed here - it's a matter of deciding if you want a more classic and classy look or really impressive fans.

What would the back look like if you made it a smaller, repeating pattern, akin to the Bee Diamond Back?

-Maybe I will produce two back designs when I release it 1 more classic with a border and 1 full bleed for cardists.
-Good idea about the tight pattern version I'll put one of those together and post it up and see what people think. My only reservation with the tight patterns is that this being my first "Signature Series" deck what ever design I choose for this one I will have to continue it throughout the rest of my signature series decks. I would like to come out with a sig deck maybe once a year or so and I will want them to make a really nice set for people so I will want them to feel like they belong together.
Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2013, 11:31:32 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire

This is the best one. Please give it the highest consideration.

« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2013, 11:42:37 AM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

This is the best one. Please give it the highest consideration.

Totally will, im gonna do a full bleed version of that one as well and a even smaller tiled version for Don.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 11:43:11 AM by JacksonRobinson »
Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2013, 02:30:19 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Just as a single card back, I like the B1 best. The A1 does have a great fan effect though.

I'm agreed here - it's a matter of deciding if you want a more classic and classy look or really impressive fans.

What would the back look like if you made it a smaller, repeating pattern, akin to the Bee Diamond Back?

-Maybe I will produce two back designs when I release it 1 more classic with a border and 1 full bleed for cardists.
-Good idea about the tight pattern version I'll put one of those together and post it up and see what people think. My only reservation with the tight patterns is that this being my first "Signature Series" deck what ever design I choose for this one I will have to continue it throughout the rest of my signature series decks. I would like to come out with a sig deck maybe once a year or so and I will want them to make a really nice set for people so I will want them to feel like they belong together.

First of all, I love the idea of releasing both versions of the back!  If you have the resources, why choose, right?  I know you're fond of branded and unbranded versions - perhaps make one of them the borderless version and the other the bordered version, creating an actual (if minor) difference between the two designs beyond the branding and appearance of the box.

Second, I know you want a certain amount of consistency among your Signature Series decks, but just as one's handwriting evolves over time, so does one's signature.  Don't feel that you must be locked in to a single design type for your signature works.  Give them consistency with the faces or the KWP logo.  Don't be afraid to one year pay homage to the Bee Diamond Back and the next, the Tally Ho Circle Back (or one of the older backs), followed by the Hoyle Shellback or something that looks like road rash, etc. - only you get to determine what your signature will look like.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 02:32:15 PM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2013, 08:24:14 PM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
This round is for Don, I actually like these.

Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2013, 09:16:58 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Oooooooh.  Sexy.  :))

« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2013, 11:01:14 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:

Agreed!
Jackson, not that you don't have anything else to do, but have you done a fan mockup for this set?
Depending on what that looks like-possibly a higher contrast on the diamond pattern. Might make a great classic look and cool fan.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2013, 11:38:23 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Agreed!
Jackson, not that you don't have anything else to do, but have you done a fan mockup for this set?
Depending on what that looks like-possibly a higher contrast on the diamond pattern. Might make a great classic look and cool fan.

I wasn't sure I'd like that diamond shading throughout the pattern, but it really grows on you.  Just tweak it a bit so it isn't a one-way back anymore!  :))  The pattern looks different between the left and right edge of the back design - it would be subtle but not too hard to spot.  You'll probably need to scale the pattern a little higher or lower in size, but that's the stuff you know better than I do.

« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2013, 11:51:21 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
Awesome backs! I still think that this back is the best one thus far, though.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2013, 10:47:13 AM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity
  • I can be ironic, but I never outrage anyone.

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
Awesome backs! I still think that this back is the best one thus far, though.

+1

I don't have any problem with the King of Spades. The face + clothes = a normal combination. I just don't think it fits the back. I will be glad to see two different fully custom decks :)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 10:47:37 AM by Collector »

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in collecting beautiful ones" ~ PlayingCardCollector.net

« Reply #60 on: September 20, 2013, 04:47:29 PM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Been doing lots of quick ideas seeing if anything grabs me.

This one is called Two Guns, I was inspired by the spaghetti westerns that I grew up on. Trying to keep it super simple to give my self a break from all the super detailed stuff that I mostly do.

Jackson

Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #61 on: September 21, 2013, 12:36:37 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Been doing lots of quick ideas seeing if anything grabs me.

This one is called Two Guns, I was inspired by the spaghetti westerns that I grew up on. Trying to keep it super simple to give my self a break from all the super detailed stuff that I mostly do.

Jackson

Nice - very nice.  For this, I'd go for a gritty print look akin to the opening credits of one of the Eastwood Spaghetti Westerns - but no aged-look paper!  Old-style courts (maybe even faro-style courts), small indices.  Consider as a possible alternative back one with a man on horseback firing the gun to replace the lone gun - also, much like the movies' opening credits.  Kinda makes you wish a deck of cards could have a soundtrack...

« Reply #62 on: September 27, 2013, 01:07:48 AM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
This is hilarious.

Who the hell designs a brilliant minimalistic deck based off a fully cohesive theme with near perfect design while he's "just taking a break"? Freakin' Jackson Robinson.

Dude, this is better than like 90% of what's on Kickstarter now. Some simple custom courts, slightly modded number cards, and some cool jokers and you'll have an absolutely amazing deck. I'll bet those would look awesome in a fan, too!
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2013, 07:28:40 AM »

atomicfrancisco

That is a great looking card back, I'm curious to know what font did you use?

« Reply #64 on: December 04, 2013, 01:57:16 AM »

rjtomlinson1977

• Elite Member
Jackson... first off, I'm a huge fan of your work. I just wanted to say the backs look amazing!

« Reply #65 on: December 12, 2013, 10:45:33 AM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Had to take a quick break from Sherlock Holmes last night and did some concepting for a possible Kings Wild Signature Series back design. This one is much in line with my Federal style.

The blue line work would be a metallic blue and the back ground lines would be metallic silver.

Hope you enjoy.

Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #66 on: December 12, 2013, 12:09:12 PM »

Phegget

Had to take a quick break from Sherlock Holmes last night and did some concepting for a possible Kings Wild Signature Series back design. This one is much in line with my Federal style.

The blue line work would be a metallic blue and the back ground lines would be metallic silver.

Hope you enjoy.

I love this one Jackson. I know you're trying to effectively use negative space, however i feel like something is missing in the centre. Perhaps design a Kings wild 'Signature Series' logo in silver metallic ink and slam it right in the middle?
uwotm8.

« Reply #67 on: December 12, 2013, 12:20:04 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.

Jackson, this card back looks great! I really like the intricate geometry, the fine line work, the subtle, almost argyle look to it.
Any way we could see the left card back without the white diamonds? I am loving the look of this but something is off and I can't quite place it...

Still excited to see you do a classic English tartan/plaid design with some of your signature print-pressed-esque line work embellishing..
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #68 on: December 12, 2013, 04:41:11 PM »

HandSkillz

• Discourse Lover

Hope you enjoy.

This is incredible. I would be curious to see a design of a white deck from you one of these days.
Starting to get better...have to stay dedicated...can't lose any more cards in the middle of a trick.  Literally, completely lost a card.

« Reply #69 on: December 12, 2013, 06:11:33 PM »

10ofclubs

• Discourse Veteran
That is the most America thing I've ever seen. I know that that would be a HUGE seller. It would appeal to tons of people that wouldn't normally collect cards or back a Kickstarter project. I think it'd be much more successful than the other back designs you posted.
You could have one of the red back designs be your "signature series" deck and this be something completely different. Like The Freedom Deck, The Liberty Deck, etc.

« Reply #70 on: December 12, 2013, 06:19:00 PM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
That is the most America thing I've ever seen. I know that that would be a HUGE seller. It would appeal to tons of people that wouldn't normally collect cards or back a Kickstarter project. I think it'd be much more successful than the other back designs you posted.
You could have one of the red back designs be your "signature series" deck and this be something completely different. Like The Freedom Deck, The Liberty Deck, etc.

Activate Patriotic Deck!!! The colors aren't there yet but it's on white...

« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 06:20:07 PM by JacksonRobinson »
Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #71 on: December 12, 2013, 06:27:48 PM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
In case you couldn't see it.

Disclaimer: This is a rough concept so it is very messy and far from tight or finished.

Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #72 on: December 12, 2013, 06:52:15 PM »

speedyy400

• Elite Member
I'm mind blown at how amazing that looks. I'm definitely in few 2 when the time comes!

Edit: Jackson, would you be making the red in the flag a little brighter? It seems to almost match the brown of the eagle. I know this isn't your finished project but just a question.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 06:53:27 PM by speedyy400 »

« Reply #73 on: December 12, 2013, 08:01:26 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
My god, Jackson, those are AMAZING.
I love the colored version.

Out of curiosity, is this a back concept for your Signature deck, or a Patriot deck?
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #74 on: December 12, 2013, 08:11:17 PM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
My god, Jackson, those are AMAZING.
I love the colored version.

Out of curiosity, is this a back concept for your Signature deck, or a Patriot deck?

Both.... I'm patriotic. :)
Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com