Re: Whether to open decks or not
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2013, 08:16:41 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

As for investment...I think Froggo said it best, there are better more stable things to invest in. That being said, Don's Superman analogy is spot on...you just never know. Over the last week my want list has grown, but has also had deletions to it because I'm realizing what is a true custom deck and what is a more mass-market, readily available deck.

Ah, but some really like the mass-market stuff because it's what they grew up with.  I have memories of seeing Bicycle, Bee, Arrco, Tally-Ho, Hoyle decks and more all throughout my childhood - airline decks as well held a special interest because my godfather (who also became my step-father) worked at an airport for one of the international airlines and would bring some of these cool decks home for my brothers and me to play with.  I even remember those "cool" Lo-Vision cards from Bicycle, before they introduced the current four-color editions of them; my uncles and grandfather loved playing with them at night when we were camping in trailers because they were easier to see by lantern and firelight.

Vintage collectors in particular can be stricken with the nostalgia factor when it comes to building their collections.  The commonness or dollar value of a deck may be very little when compared to the memories it evokes.  Even the variations that are as simple as mere color changes to the backs can hold appeal for those reasons.

I agree with you completely Don, for me it's always been about what I like, a neat piece to add to the collection or it has some personal meaning as you stated...rarely about what it could be worth. I actually took my biweekly trip to the antique mall this weekend and came across a deck of Gladstone playing cards, open but still in the box. Both box and cards are in very nice condition, but I really don't know if there worth anything, but that's not why I got them. They were a neat little vintage representation for my collection. I guess my point was that a main stream deck is unlikely to become that "Investment" piece. I also picked up a couple plain Bicycle decks because I like the color combination, I'm still keeping one sealed, but I'm pretty sure that I'm still going to have to pay for my kids to go to college, lol

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2013, 09:32:58 PM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
  • Ugh, I wish I had money for THAT deck!
I mean at the end of the day it's to the enjoyment of whomever the collection belongs to and whomever they show it to. If a collector is happy opening all their decks and ruining all their cards but feel accomplished, that's good. If (like what seems to be a lot of us) a collector likes I have a "for use" deck and "for collection" deck, that's good as well. If they're a magician and likes to collect fancy, custom cards and perform with standard decks, that's fine as well.

Point being, as long as, you, the collector is happy, there's nothing wrong with how you collect. I do know of one person that collects just for the bragging rights and not for the intended use of "playing" with the cards. It is strange to me but hey, makes them happy.
"The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2013, 12:15:01 AM »

Curt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Part of my reasoning for collecting playing cards is the story behind them, whether they be a vintage deck or a more recent one. I'll generally buy two or three of a deck that I really like the look of (like DM rounders) or something that has a unique concept, like when the Fantastique and Curator decks were released. I enjoy keeping most of my collection on display in the house where it catches the attention of guests, they also work well as art in the room we use to play card games and pool. I understand the collectors who use their decks, which tend to be ones who practice magic or cardistry more often, which makes sense.

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2013, 06:10:53 AM »

Paul.Middleton

• Discourse Veteran
  • Owner of JP Playing Cards

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

If you want a "true" collection and you also want to enjoy the art/cards: Buy two, open one.

And this is where I site personally, but I guess Benny you're not really in that position with the decks you mentioned - so I would keep them sealed.
~Paul Middleton,
JP Playing Cards
---------------------
FREE WORLDWIDE DELIVERY (UK over £30, EU over £70 and Rest Of World over £80)

www.jpplayingcards.co.uk

« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2013, 08:12:27 AM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
It should be noted that if you belong to UC, RSLancaster opens every single deck anyway... Yes, not the same thing, but if you'd like to see the faces & courts you can certainly check them out because he scans and posts just about every deck...

« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2013, 05:34:20 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
That's really something you should have thought of before purchasing it at $144. It's a collectors box. I would have kept them all sealed. There will be other decks you can buy individually to use for less money per deck.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 05:35:17 PM by Anonymous »

« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2013, 12:48:59 AM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:

If you want a "true" collection and you also want to enjoy the art/cards: Buy two, open one.

And this is where I site personally, but I guess Benny you're not really in that position with the decks you mentioned - so I would keep them sealed.

Aren't you a wholesaler? Technically you buy 500 open one.   :D
Forum Founder.

« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2013, 02:10:12 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

Aren't you a wholesaler? Technically you buy 500 open one.   :D

Nope, he opens two.  One's for display purposes only...
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2013, 02:51:57 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
It should be noted that if you belong to UC, RSLancaster opens every single deck anyway... Yes, not the same thing, but if you'd like to see the faces & courts you can certainly check them out because he scans and posts just about every deck...

Modern decks are pretty easy to get, and the artwork is available in hi-res from the designers/retailers most of the time.

The real tricky stuff are the vintage decks, and the real treat (in my opinion) are decks that have unique handling.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2013, 04:39:44 PM »

Sovereign

• True Member
This is a really interesting discussion, not something I had thought about before. I'm not much of a collector, but my view is from a performing point of view - I like interesting or unusual decks because of the colour they add to a performance, so from that perspective, obviously I'm going to open the cards.

From a creators point of view, the few decks I've designed have been very specific - the first was for use on a TV special, so in my mind it was a prop and obviously to be used - they weren't supplied shrink wrapped so opening them was a no-brainer. The new deck was less focussed just on just one performer's presentation and meant to be more general, for everyone, but again very focussed on performance for both magicians and cardists, as well as some custom art for people who like that sort of thing - they are designed to be used.

I guess my approach is that the style of the cards is like the cut of the suit you wear, the fashion of your clothes. Not using the deck, even for your own amusement, is like buying the suit then leaving it in the wardrobe. BUT: that analogy works both ways - a friend of mine managed to acquire one of the nazi uniforms from Indiana Jones and he definitely DID keep that in the wardrobe with a view to selling it for a tidy sum rather than wearing it out and about. Some things you buy to use, and some things I guess their value as part of your collection is greater than the value you would get from cracking it open for a shuffle.

Thanks for the various perspectives.

« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2013, 07:21:46 PM »

ronyo_faukx

• Elite Member
  • What does the Faukx say?

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

As for investment...I think Froggo said it best, there are better more stable things to invest in. That being said, Don's Superman analogy is spot on...you just never know. Over the last week my want list has grown, but has also had deletions to it because I'm realizing what is a true custom deck and what is a more mass-market, readily available deck.

Ah, but some really like the mass-market stuff because it's what they grew up with.  I have memories of seeing Bicycle, Bee, Arrco, Tally-Ho, Hoyle decks and more all throughout my childhood - airline decks as well held a special interest because my godfather (who also became my step-father) worked at an airport for one of the international airlines and would bring some of these cool decks home for my brothers and me to play with.  I even remember those "cool" Lo-Vision cards from Bicycle, before they introduced the current four-color editions of them; my uncles and grandfather loved playing with them at night when we were camping in trailers because they were easier to see by lantern and firelight.

Vintage collectors in particular can be stricken with the nostalgia factor when it comes to building their collections.  The commonness or dollar value of a deck may be very little when compared to the memories it evokes.  Even the variations that are as simple as mere color changes to the backs can hold appeal for those reasons.

I agree with you completely Don, for me it's always been about what I like, a neat piece to add to the collection or it has some personal meaning as you stated...rarely about what it could be worth. I actually took my biweekly trip to the antique mall this weekend and came across a deck of Gladstone playing cards, open but still in the box. Both box and cards are in very nice condition, but I really don't know if there worth anything, but that's not why I got them. They were a neat little vintage representation for my collection. I guess my point was that a main stream deck is unlikely to become that "Investment" piece. I also picked up a couple plain Bicycle decks because I like the color combination, I'm still keeping one sealed, but I'm pretty sure that I'm still going to have to pay for my kids to go to college, lol

OOI, what about with regard to lighters? As a collector of Zippos, do you use any of the ones you have/buy extras to use, or do you purchase them for the art/collectability of them?
Who wants to play '52 Card Pickup'?

« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2013, 08:21:37 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

OOI, what about with regard to lighters? As a collector of Zippos, do you use any of the ones you have/buy extras to use, or do you purchase them for the art/collectability of them?

Well as regards to Zippos, I actually don't smoke and they are purchased as collectables, and for the most part I only purchase one. A little diffrent than playing cards, Zippos only really serve one purpose...making fire, lol. None of my Zippo's are sealed (Orange safety sticker comes on the back of Zippos) I remove them so I can hear my "Click", not to mention those stickers can damage  the finish over time. Now while I dont smoke I do use a few to do some tricks I learned over the years so I dont know if that counts as "Using them.

Taking it a bit further in comparison to playing cards, even if I used my zippos regularly, you can always clean them, replace wicks, flints etc...to have them retain their original state. Playing cards get used and slowly do lose some of there "Newness" sometimes to the point of damage that can't be fixed. So while the two are collectable, they are a bit different when it comes to "MIB" and what the long term effect of regular use can cause, not to mention what temp. and humiditiy can do to cards. Zippos are metal, they are for the most part pretty durable.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 08:23:33 PM by Sparkz »

« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2013, 02:24:54 AM »

ronyo_faukx

• Elite Member

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

Well as regards to Zippos, I actually don't smoke and they are purchased as collectables, and for the most part I only purchase one. A little diffrent than playing cards, Zippos only really serve one purpose...making fire, lol. None of my Zippo's are sealed (Orange safety sticker comes on the back of Zippos) I remove them so I can hear my "Click", not to mention those stickers can damage  the finish over time. Now while I dont smoke I do use a few to do some tricks I learned over the years so I dont know if that counts as "Using them.

Taking it a bit further in comparison to playing cards, even if I used my zippos regularly, you can always clean them, replace wicks, flints etc...to have them retain their original state. Playing cards get used and slowly do lose some of there "Newness" sometimes to the point of damage that can't be fixed. So while the two are collectable, they are a bit different when it comes to "MIB" and what the long term effect of regular use can cause, not to mention what temp. and humiditiy can do to cards. Zippos are metal, they are for the most part pretty durable.

Fair point. Excellent answer and explanation.

+1 rep

« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2013, 02:08:19 PM »

blastercast

• Forum Regular
  • I am generally strange
Hey guys, I am  reviving a mostly dead topic here but I have hit an issue :)
You guys recommended selling decks, I am trying desperately to sell a load of them as I have reached a hard time (shoes or keep sealed decks).
So you have any recommendations as to where to sell? I tried our Sales/Trades?Isos but got nothing, trying eBay and got nothing :')
-Benny
"...there is a fine line between wishing to produce child-like astonishment and treating people like infants."
Derren Brown

« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2013, 03:45:08 PM »

ronyo_faukx

• Elite Member

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

Hey guys, I am  reviving a mostly dead topic here but I have hit an issue :)
You guys recommended selling decks, I am trying desperately to sell a load of them as I have reached a hard time (shoes or keep sealed decks).
So you have any recommendations as to where to sell? I tried our Sales/Trades?Isos but got nothing, trying eBay and got nothing :')
-Benny

I would say that here and eBay are probably your best bets with regards to selling. If you're having problems selling at the price you currently have them at, consider including 'Or Nearest Offer'  on forums/sales ads; or 'Make An Offer' on eBay. Allows you to let people who are definitely interested make an offer a slightly lower price. If you're happy with what they offer, accept it, you'll both feel good.

Alternatively, if there are any Collectors' Fairs which take place within your local area, or a comfortable travel distance away, you could always try there. Trader tables are usually cheap or free (at least the couple near me are).

« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2013, 04:12:31 PM »

blastercast

• Forum Regular
  • I am generally strange
I would say that here and eBay are probably your best bets with regards to selling. If you're having problems selling at the price you currently have them at, consider including 'Or Nearest Offer'  on forums/sales ads; or 'Make An Offer' on eBay. Allows you to let people who are definitely interested make an offer a slightly lower price. If you're happy with what they offer, accept it, you'll both feel good.

Alternatively, if there are any Collectors' Fairs which take place within your local area, or a comfortable travel distance away, you could always try there. Trader tables are usually cheap or free (at least the couple near me are).
Thanks for the advice :')
I've tried both starting at ridiculously low prices, I barely cover the cost to get them (I live in the UK so no trading things happen here). We have to pay extortionate customs fees (£8 plus 20% of the price) so getting more than one deck can end up costing a lot.
It seems the market isn't doing too well for cards, I used to sell on eBay with decks not nearly as rare and they went for more than what I'm offering stuff for :')
I might just sell it in bulk really cheap to someone
-Benny
"...there is a fine line between wishing to produce child-like astonishment and treating people like infants."
Derren Brown

« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2013, 04:36:49 PM »

kdklown

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Twitter:
Hey Benny, seems you've only offered up a few decks for sale so far.  I feel like people do better on here when they put a more extensive list up.  Folks can look through and pick & choose what they want.  Maybe you only want to part with that handful, that's ok but it will limit your reach.  Anyway pm me with whatever you want to sell.  If the price right or I don't have the deck I'm always a willing buyer.  Good luck. 

« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2013, 10:46:11 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

Thanks for the advice :')
I've tried both starting at ridiculously low prices, I barely cover the cost to get them (I live in the UK so no trading things happen here). We have to pay extortionate customs fees (£8 plus 20% of the price) so getting more than one deck can end up costing a lot.
It seems the market isn't doing too well for cards, I used to sell on eBay with decks not nearly as rare and they went for more than what I'm offering stuff for :')
I might just sell it in bulk really cheap to someone
-Benny

Since cards are so expensive in Great Britain, you should focus on selling within Great Britain.  It's your best chance to get a good market rate, considering that what you're selling would be difficult or expensive to obtain by other means.  Use ebay.co.uk.  Tweak your prices if you need to.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/