You are Here:
Bicycle Galvanic - LET'S GET IT FUNDED!

Author (Read 26035 times)

Re: Bicycle Galvanic - LET'S GET IT FUNDED!
« Reply #125 on: December 05, 2011, 02:59:59 PM »

Lushbob

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Then this deck a day release schedule is gonna stop.

I agree! Although I love to see new decks, a new deck popping up the whole time gets kinda tiring. It means continuous purchases, and it detracts from the excitement of seeing a brand new deck being released.
"What have future generations ever done for us?" - Groucho Marx

« Reply #126 on: December 05, 2011, 04:33:32 PM »

SeanWhelan

• Discourse Lover

Thanks for the support and positive feedback but I do want to address some issues with you guys. I want this deck to get produced as much as you guys do. I am an artist trying to establish my name and build my resume and it would also be nice for any collection. However, I have to think realistically. I have 15 more days to get this project funded and I hate to say this but at the rate its going now I will probably not happen. There is still a chance and it am not letting that down.

About the court cards: While speaking with the uspcc, I received my price quote for the amount of decks I wanted to produce and that is why I set my goal to $15,000. To my surprise (I honestly did not expect this and blew my mind) everyone wants custom court cards nowadays. I did not take this into consideration at the start of my project because as a collector nothing beats the traditional court cards so I did not want to change them. i focused my skills on the back design, ace and mainly the jokers. I wanted to see a deck on the market with a bad ass looking joker. This was my goal for the deck. So I will not be posting any images of court cards unless the goal reaches $20,000. So I hope all of you can respect my decision as to why I left them out.

If the Kickstarter project fails, I will try again within a few months. This time however I will add custom court cards. Believe it or not I've worked with Jason over at E and me and him talked about my deck for awhile. he helped me pin point my flaws and what not but he gave me great advice: you have to take a chance and most of all listen to the feedback you get. And the feedback from everyone is the courts. So again if it fails I will definitly be adding them in next time. If it succeeds right now thats fine Ill do it with normal court cards but then within a few months I will be doing a revision deck with the added court cards. I will not let anyone down and I do appreciate everyones support. After both decks are out (normal court cards and custom court cards) Then I will launch the Villain deck to follow up on the storyline.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 04:34:06 PM by SeanWhelan »
Creator/Designer of Bicycle Galvanic Playing cards

« Reply #127 on: December 05, 2011, 05:29:28 PM »

dee1orean

• Elite Member

• Facebook:
Hang on, let me see if I've understood, the feedback you're getting is that everyone wants custom court cards. If the project reaches 15,000 you'll produce the deck with standard court cards and then in a few months you'll release a revised deck with custom court cards?
or if it fails you'll do another kickstarter with the custom court cards in a few months?
So where is the incentive for those who want custom court cards to pledge this time?
They might as well not pledge, wait for it to fail and then pledge on the second kickstarter.

Sean, I pledged within days of the kickstarter going live and I wholeheartedly support the deck, however you do seem to be doing things a bit arse about face...
I'm the Master of Nonsensical Sense and illogical Logic

« Reply #128 on: December 05, 2011, 05:58:50 PM »

eggman

• Elite Member
This one surprises me. I have seen you working on this deck when you first talked about it on the E forum. Yes, it would be more interesting with custom courts but still, it looks to me that it will be well worth having. I pledged as soon as I saw it was out. I feel very bad for you. You put in alot of work and time. As someone else pointed out one of the main issues is probably timing. So many cards comming out now, Holidays, Black Fridays, Cyber Mondays. I hope you do not give up if it does not come true. Merry Christmas.

« Reply #129 on: December 05, 2011, 07:27:31 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
This idea alone is completely amazing, I love it idea and hopefully it will succeed. Come on guys, let's pull it through.
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

« Reply #130 on: December 05, 2011, 11:20:24 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Hey guys,
Thanks for the support and positive feedback but I do want to address some issues with you guys. I want this deck to get produced as much as you guys do. I am an artist trying to establish my name and build my resume and it would also be nice for any collection. However, I have to think realistically. I have 15 more days to get this project funded and I hate to say this but at the rate its going now I will probably not happen. There is still a chance and it am not letting that down.

About the court cards: While speaking with the uspcc, I received my price quote for the amount of decks I wanted to produce and that is why I set my goal to $15,000. To my surprise (I honestly did not expect this and blew my mind) everyone wants custom court cards nowadays. I did not take this into consideration at the start of my project because as a collector nothing beats the traditional court cards so I did not want to change them. i focused my skills on the back design, ace and mainly the jokers. I wanted to see a deck on the market with a bad ass looking joker. This was my goal for the deck. So I will not be posting any images of court cards unless the goal reaches $20,000. So I hope all of you can respect my decision as to why I left them out.

If the Kickstarter project fails, I will try again within a few months. This time however I will add custom court cards. Believe it or not I've worked with Jason over at E and me and him talked about my deck for awhile. he helped me pin point my flaws and what not but he gave me great advice: you have to take a chance and most of all listen to the feedback you get. And the feedback from everyone is the courts. So again if it fails I will definitly be adding them in next time. If it succeeds right now thats fine Ill do it with normal court cards but then within a few months I will be doing a revision deck with the added court cards. I will not let anyone down and I do appreciate everyones support. After both decks are out (normal court cards and custom court cards) Then I will launch the Villain deck to follow up on the storyline.

I believe that if you went ahead and created custom court cards now rather than waiting for the second try, you may see enough of a funding bump to push you over the top in time.  It's not that people hate standard court cards or something, but there's so many new and well-made decks coming out that incorporate all kinds of unique features (the upcoming Tungstene deck has some cool out-there ideas, check it out) that many in the community feel there's only so much cash to go around and if a deck just isn't interesting enough compared to others either on sale or in the pipeline, they won't buy it, even if the basic concept is sound.

Look at all the heat Merz67 gets around here.  His deck designs are insanely simple and unoriginal - most people here wouldn't go near one of his decks with a ten-foot pole.  I'm not saying you're as far down the food chain as he is, but when something like a Sentinels or an Artifice or an Infinity comes along, the bar gets raised higher.  Unique court cards - and perhaps even a unique pip layout for the number cards, or oversized Ace pips a la the Phoenix deck and the Karnival Dead Eyes and Dose decks - might be enough to turn that sizzle into steak, to make your deck be a head-and-shoulders-above-the-crowd deck.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #131 on: December 05, 2011, 11:37:04 PM »

PoundFFFFFF

• Elite Member

Good Luck!

« Reply #132 on: December 06, 2011, 12:17:09 AM »

SeanWhelan

• Discourse Lover

« Reply #133 on: December 06, 2011, 01:00:08 AM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
hmm if you're just going to do standard court cards for this project then i might have to unpledge and wait for your next one with curstom court cards. it doesn't make sense to me that you're just going to run it with standard if it succeeds this time around.

« Reply #134 on: December 06, 2011, 01:03:25 AM »

SeanWhelan

• Discourse Lover

Again the custom court cards will be added this time if funding hits $20,000. So if you guys want them then tell everyone you know

« Reply #135 on: December 06, 2011, 04:14:21 AM »

phantom1412

• Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Again the custom court cards will be added this time if funding hits $20,000. So if you guys want them then tell everyone you know

You should do the custom court card even if it's $15000.
Cause, in the situation of your deck now, it might not made the goal.

« Reply #136 on: December 06, 2011, 04:38:00 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I'd love to pick up a deck of these, I really would. But I've got a lot of decks lined up that I need desperately, and I'm pretty short of money as it is. I might think about getting a deck of these a little later, but at $24 for two decks, I can't afford it at the moment. But it honestly looks brilliant! :D

Let me guess - international buyer?  UK, perhaps?

« Reply #137 on: December 06, 2011, 06:01:09 AM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:

If you are doing a second Kickstarter run with custom court cards I will fund for sure. I think that waiting a few months until the scene has settled down a little bit and the addition of custom court cards will be a big boost for your deck. I really like the deck, but with the timing I've sadly had to pass. I wish you the best of luck with your project Sean! I know lots of people will be happy with your deck  :)
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #138 on: December 06, 2011, 06:36:56 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

You sounded reasonably sure that the Kickstart wasn't going to hit the required goal.  I wish I could say otherwise, but it's looking more likely.  Many people here have mentioned not just the unique court cards, but also the timing - countless new decks have released in the last month, most of which are highly desired, and more are still in the pipeline and due to release before Christmas.

Is it possible to pull the plug on a Kickstarter project, restarting it later with perhaps a higher goal and all the features you really want the deck to have?  Given the choice of getting something out the door quick or getting it done right, I'd take done right every time, especially if it's a labor of love as well as something you're planning to create for profit.  And if possible, give yourself a bit more time - your window seemed somewhat smaller than some projects I've seen, or is that just me?

« Reply #139 on: December 06, 2011, 02:24:28 PM »

Lushbob

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I'd love to pick up a deck of these, I really would. But I've got a lot of decks lined up that I need desperately, and I'm pretty short of money as it is. I might think about getting a deck of these a little later, but at $24 for two decks, I can't afford it at the moment. But it honestly looks brilliant! :D

Indeed, a UK buyer. Yourself?

« Reply #140 on: December 07, 2011, 02:06:23 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Indeed, a UK buyer. Yourself?

NYC born and raised.  The high deck price and use of the word "brilliant" were the giveaways...  :)

« Reply #141 on: December 07, 2011, 02:17:08 PM »

Lushbob

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I can understand the high deck price reasoning, but not really the second one. xD Is 'brilliant' only used in the UK?  ???

« Reply #142 on: December 15, 2011, 08:01:58 PM »

SeanWhelan

• Discourse Lover

I wanted to stop by and give an update on my Galvanic Deck. As most of you know, the Galvanic Kickstarter page will not be successful this time around. Believe it or not, even though it did not reach its funding goal I am still very proud of the project and myself for coming this far. My daytime job is being a head technician and being a recent graduate from college, I wanted to step up above the rest. I created these designs to showcase my skills as an artist and to show that I am self motivated.
This was my very first Kickstarter project so to reach over $6,000 is still crazy to me.

I have read all of the feedback i have received about this deck and couldn't be happier. I do have some great news for everyone though. The Kickstarter page will be relaunching sometime around Feburary so be on the look out : P

I will be going back to the drawing board and touching up on the designs AND custom court cards will be added this next time around (included with the normal goal). Not only that but a full length cg trailer will be on the page upon launch. I hope everyone can appreciate the amount of time and effort I put into this deck. The goal will be $20,000 but again it will have a custom box, ace, back design, joker, joker reveal AND custom cards which will be able to be viewed on the page the very first day.

Of course I will set tiers depending on how far the funding goes such as: custom stock, metallic ink , custom pips and the Bicycle Brand logo will be taking off making it the Galvanic series.

Thank you everyone who gave me feedback and for those who backed me this time around. Creating a deck of cards has been a personal goal of mine before I ever thought about going to college for Graphic Design. So lets hope for the best and see it succeed the second time around. You can only learn from your mistakes.

If anyone has suggestions about the deck by all means feel free to respond. I will be on these forums almost everyday checking out new post.

Thank you again,
Sean Whelan
3D Artist

« Reply #143 on: December 15, 2011, 08:14:38 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:
I'm upset these weren't funded, but I'll be sure to pledge again in February :)
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #144 on: December 15, 2011, 08:18:22 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Wow, Sean, sorry it didn't go as planned, but I'm glad you are willing to relight some fires in terms of this deck. I definitely be backing that one when the time comes. Also, you might want to advertise your deck a little bit more, that's probably why it didn't go so good.
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

« Reply #145 on: December 15, 2011, 08:19:22 PM »

SeanWhelan

• Discourse Lover

Yeah it was just bad timing. i was so excited just to launch my first Kickstarter page that I never looked to see what other decks were coming out at the same time. Not to mention its Christmas time. No biggy though, like I said I'm still happy as to how far this got : P

« Reply #146 on: December 15, 2011, 08:29:58 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Definitely work on custom fronts of the cards! And maybe you could do a Hero and Villain deck package where you get both?

« Reply #147 on: December 16, 2011, 04:00:16 AM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen
i am very sad that your deck did not get funded i really like the back design ace of spades and joker .. maybe put up the picture of the court card and that might make people want to pledge more for the deck .. and maybe if the uncut sheet price is higher you can get more money pledged ..

« Reply #148 on: December 16, 2011, 04:35:07 AM »

phantom1412

• Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I'm sorry that this deck won't make it.
But, I'm looking forward to see your custom court cards and more.

« Reply #149 on: December 16, 2011, 05:41:10 AM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
The timing was off on the first attempt, but I know that I and many others are stoked for the second kickstarter campaign. This is one of the better decks I have seen lately from an individual artist and I think it has real life in it. I will be honored to pledge for this deck when you start the next Kickstarter campaign. Congrats on the progress so far and I look forward to hearing more!!
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck