« on: September 30, 2013, 11:28:08 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Meridian Bicycle Playing Cards

Project by: Noel Quiles/TPX Designs
$15,000 goal, 6 created, $10 for 1, $19 for 2 decks

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

Re: Meridian Bicycle Playing Cards (KS)
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 11:31:28 PM »

kdklown

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Twitter:
In for one early bird.  I really like the Joker for some reason.   Just looks sharp to me. 

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 09:17:05 PM »

vmagic

Just felt the need to share this, i've been contacted by Noel to cancel my pledge for this deck, which I did. Apparently he didn't like my comment that he should focus on getting the deck pledged as is before adding "limited" boxes to a project which looks like it will fail. If anything those boxes should be a stretch goal, not used to gain additional funding. If you can't sell your deck as is then maybe it shouldn't get printed.

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 11:35:10 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Well, to each his own vmagic, but to tell you to retract your pledge?? I'm interested, want to see more and we'll see what happens. At the moment it looks like it might limp into getting funded, but you never know. Good Luck to them.

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 11:39:29 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Just felt the need to share this, i've been contacted by Noel to cancel my pledge for this deck, which I did. Apparently he didn't like my comment that he should focus on getting the deck pledged as is before adding "limited" boxes to a project which looks like it will fail. If anything those boxes should be a stretch goal, not used to gain additional funding. If you can't sell your deck as is then maybe it shouldn't get printed.

Not cool that Noel did that to you, but if you look at his projects. He does this on all of his projects. He starts with the first deck, and then piles on more stuff all the way to the end of the project. He had the Allure White project temporally shut down by KS, because he was trying to sell all the crap from his previous projects.

My personal take on making comments on the project site. Any KS project. I try not to make any negative or could be perceived as negative comments. With all of the distrust going on with KS. These creators are having a hard enough time getting funded, that 1 comment could make or break them. That's just my opinion.
If someone has a concern. By all means they should contact the project. Noel could have handled this much better.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 01:24:46 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

I think it was foolish of Noel to do this.  Perhaps your comment wasn't entirely kind, but this is life in the real world, and not every business decision one makes will be applauded by everyone.  This is the business equivalent of taking your toys and going home.

I'm not a huge fan of selling a flea market worth of stuff to go along with any deck, but for him, it seems to work - he's had a fair number of successful projects.  Granted, he usually rolls out the extras more slowly than this, but since he has the connections to get them made, obviously, why wouldn't he just offer them up front?  There's a risk involved in that the increased goal might be high enough to not achieve funding by project's end, but that's Noel's business decision to make.

This doesn't change the fact, however, that Noel actually went to the trouble of requesting someone cancel a pledge for his deck.  Doing that can create far more problems than it solves.  I feel it was a bad idea.  Again, it's his company, his call, but that's my two cents worth.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 11:35:05 AM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
I had some issues with him at one point and decided to stop funding his projects. His mistake, and when I tried to help (by priivate message) by pointing it out, I was treated like garbage. That was enough for me. Regardless of whether or not I like any more of his projects, I will not be supporting him. I figured that it was just me, but I'm not surprised to hear similar things happening.

He screwed up two different ways. He alienated a backer and shot himself in the foot by requesting that the backer pull funding AWAY from him, and rather than responding to the comment intelligently and addressing what was said for all to see, he potentially has other backers and potential backers wondering the same thing, and possibly not backing for the same reasons, instead of having an intelligent answer to those concerns available to see.The best companies address issues and complaints, openly, and give others confidence that the customer is valued, not try to hide things and brush concerns and issues under then rug. That's shady dealings!

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 11:44:38 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
There is a lot to be said about how your treated when dealing with someone. It's not always a money thing, sometimes you need to stick to your principles and walk away, even if it's something you want. Why support someone who doesn't think treating a supporter/backer with any respect.