You are Here:
NEW Cthulhu Bicycle® Playing Card Decks (KS)

Author (Read 1320 times)

NEW Cthulhu Bicycle® Playing Card Decks (KS)
« on: October 01, 2013, 01:41:43 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
NEW Cthulhu Bicycle®

Project by: Dann Kriss
2nd created, $12,000 goal, $12 for 1, $22 for 2 decks

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

Re: NEW Cthulhu Bicycle® Playing Card Decks (KS)
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 02:08:49 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Art-wise, you could do a lot worse, though with all that darkness and lack of contrast, the cards could very well end up looking like mud when they come off the press.

The theme - been there, done that, bought the t-shirt, I want an ice cream cone...  How many Cthulhu/Lovecraft decks on Kickstarter does this project make it?  A half-dozen?  More?

Other than that, the big issue I see here is the budget.  Twelve grand for TWO deck projects is really cutting things to the bone, plus he has all the tchochkes to deal with as well, and the fact that the US Postal Services will be charging about 5% more for postage by the time this thing ships, even with their optimistic early February estimate - they gave March 2014 as a fallback.  It's yet another project that, if it barely crosses the finish line to reach its goal, could very well run out of cash before it gets completely shipped.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 02:09:30 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 02:48:26 AM »

ronyo_faukx

• Elite Member
  • What does the Faukx say?

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

As long as mine as some of the first few dispatched, can't complain.

But, should I be forced to wait an eternity, I shall come down with the wrath of an angry god!
Who wants to play '52 Card Pickup'?

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 05:57:30 PM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity
  • I can be ironic, but I never outrage anyone.

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
IMHO about the design:

- The cameo for corner indices and pips on each card is too big - it will be hard to play with such cards + it affects pictures of court cards in a bad way;
- The white sign on each back and face is unnecessary;
- Tuck cases need better design.

Good luck.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in collecting beautiful ones" ~ PlayingCardCollector.net

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 07:51:43 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
IMHO about the design:

- The cameo for corner indices and pips on each card is too big - it will be hard to play with such cards + it affects pictures of court cards in a bad way;
- The white sign on each back and face is unnecessary;
- Tuck cases need better design.

Good luck.

Since you mention it, it does look more like a jumbo-index deck...  I was just assuming that white glyph was something to do with the Lovecraft mythos, in which case it's perfectly appropriate.  But the whole blasted deck needs a redo.  If that went to press, the cards would be insanely dark.

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 11:25:55 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
"The Stars are right" I think Shane said that on the "The Call of the Cthulhu" deck. Since they have not made all the cards they might want to make a video of drawing one of the cards. People like that, but it seems they are going to make their funding anyways... They might be a bit off on their goal. It use to be $2.72 per Bicycle branded deck with a minimum of 2,500 decks; It might be more I have not checked lately. So with two decks that would be 5,000 * 2.72 = $13,600, but again they will probably blow through that. I noticed they have the indexes more to the right than standard cards. Don't get me wrong it looks good. Hell, it looks like a big old corner badge to me, but people will only be able to hold maybe 10 cards in their hands... The backers seem legit. It doesn't look like Mommy and Daddy have supported his deck. I'm kind of digg'in the fade to the cut border.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 12:31:35 AM by sprouts1115 »

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 11:48:59 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
11 days in- $30,000-250% funded-22 days to go

It seems that most of these Cthulhu themed decks do pretty good. For all of the people on here that despise seeing this over and over, it still seems to have a huge following. There are 7 other live projects on KS that revolve around Cthulhu, and over 50 successfully funded.
I wonder how far this genre will go? Does it keep growing? or fizzle out?
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2013, 03:41:51 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
A lot of the Cthulhu-related projects (cards and otherwise) that are huge successes have nothing to do with the card community.  In fact, most of the biggest deck projects of all varieties are as big as they are because they expanded their base far beyond the collector community.  Look at a list of the top five and you'll find most of the backers have never set foot on a collector's board or even know what a cardist or a "card man" is.

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 11:30:09 AM »

dtsang

• Newcomer
It looks quite interesting, haven't seen a design like it before.

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2014, 03:01:44 PM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
So I know this deck has not generated much excitement and discussion on our boards but there has been legal issues for months now and the decks have been pushed back.  I am copying the latest updates for those who might be interested in what's going on

Hey Team,
   I know it's been a little bit since my last update. Between dealing with tax paperwork and our current legal dispute, sorting through PledgeManager, and continuing the post-campaign phases for two campaigns, April has been a rather hectic month. I hope that my delay in updates hasn't caused any undue concern; other than being extremely busy, there really hasn't been much news to report.

Legal Dispute Update

First things first, a status report on the legal dispute and resulting delay. My lawyer (Jerry) has been working hard on going over every detail of this dispute: For those of you who may have missed it, we are currently being held up on production by the legal department at the USPCC (our printer for the Bicycle decks) due to a trademark supposedly held by Fantasy Flight Games on the name "Elder Sign".

When I contacted Fantasy Flight Games to get their opinions on the matter, the FFG legal department told me that while they "support small time game publishers", they felt that our "Cthulhu: The Great Old One Bicycle Playing Card Deck - Elder Sign Limited Edition" violated their trademark. They offered to grant me a limited license to use the name so long as I followed a number of their provisions. They wanted me to keep the print run limited to 3,000 decks, which was already the case. They also wanted me to add their company's info on the tuck box, and say that the deck was under licensing agreement with them. The main sticking point was when they then informed me that as payment for the limited licensing agreement, I would have to send them 150 decks, free of charge.

You might well ask "Why not just agree to their terms and move on? It's only giving them credit for work they didn't do, and giving them some free decks!" I will be happy to explain what is at stake here. First, they have no real right to tie up a public domain phrase from Lovecraft's works as their own trademark; just because a trademark registrar allowed it to be filed doesn't make it right or legally indisputable. I could understand if we were trying in any way to reference their card game as somehow associated with our product, but that is simply and obviously not the case. They even agree that this is quite obviously not our intent, yet they still think to defend their stance on this matter, regardless of this fact.

Secondly, I do not think it prudent or acceptable to add another company's name to a product which they took no part in the design or creation thereof. They put forth nothing towards these decks, therefor they deserve no recognition from them.

Third, their charge of 150 decks is impossible to meet without taking decks from someone else's hands. Virtually all of the Elder Sign Limited Edition decks are pledged for, with perhaps 20 or 30 remaining for DKG to keep around. I would never ask a backer to give up their decks, especially for an undeserving third party.

Fourth, and most importantly, they have no case. Our Bicycle deck in no way crosses or violates any trademark they may hold, we have done nothing wrong, and so we will not be intimidated by a bigger company swinging around their well-funded, well-staffed legal department to get their way.

I would like to make clear that I have nothing against Fantasy Flight Games. I enjoy their games, and will continue to purchase their products whenever I see ones that I like. This is just one of the many parts of business which must be dealt with from time to time. I know it sucks to have to wait longer on getting the decks printed, believe me it affects me far more than you can imagine, but in the end, DKG has to be able to stand up for itself. Publishing games has been a lifetime dream, and I have spent the better part of a decade building a strong product line and growing a game publishing company to release my games. If we start allowing other companies with far more resources than we have to bully us around about our products and production, then we've lost before we even get our feet under us.

I know that delaying fulfillment by a few months is not great, believe me I want to see these decks at least as much as you do! This delay has cost me substantial amounts of time, significant money out of my own pocket, devastating setbacks in my production and planned release schedules, and more stress and sleepless nights than I care to go into. Mind you, I'm not seeking any pity here, I just always want to give you guys my absolute best, and I feel like this situation has prevented that from happening. You all mean the world to me, and when stuff like this happens, I feel like I've let you all down, and that just crushes me. I only hope that you can forgive this unforeseeable situation, and that we can all feel that much more triumphant once we all have our decks in hand.

So, where do we stand legally? I was hoping that Jerry would have sent the official letter by now, but lawyers have a way of taking their time with things. In law, I guess it pays to be meticulous, but also to be fair, Jerry's been dealing with some other difficult big-time cases, a 7-months-pregnant wife, and an unpleasant car accident resulting in his severe physical discomfort, so I can certainly be forgiving of his taking some time in this matter. That being said, I will try to explain our legal position in the layman's terms he used to explain it to me. Please keep in mind that I will have to paraphrase it all, as I'm unfamiliar with lawyer jargon, and I may mis-state something that he could explain much more accurately. From his research, we are not violating any trademarks on three seperate positions:

#1 Common Usage - When most people hear the phrase "Elder Sign", they do not think "Oh, that game by FFG". They think of Lovecraft's writings. The phrase is significantly in common use, both in printed press, online, and in various other forms of media. FFG themselves use the phrase BECAUSE of its direct reference to the writings of H.P. Lovecraft.

#2 Category - FFG is trying to claim that our product is in the same category as their game, thus saying that our product could be mistaken for being a part of their product. Even assuming you could classify a deck of standard playing cards as a "card game" since there are lots of games you could play with them, their product has a number of different card sets, and relies heavily on custom dice. There is no feasible way that our deck of playing cards could be misunderstood to be their product.

#3 Dilution - Even if we were to ignore the first two points, the third big point is that FFG is a major scale corporation, shipping thousands upon thousands of units internationally. Our extremely limited quantity of promotional decks in a one-time print run in no way dilutes the value, perceived value, or sales potential of their product. Printing these decks in no way negatively impacts their bottom line, and so again, we violate no trademark in printing these decks.

Again, this is my layman's understanding of the situation. Once Jerry writes up the official letter for me to send to USPCC and FFG, I will post a link to it so that those of you who wish to know our stance more officially can check it out at your leisure. I am doing everything I can to get this matter wrapped up as quickly as possible, and again, apologize for the delays from the very depths of my heart.

Production Update

Decks - Once we clear up this legal dispute (hopefully in the next week or two), we can proceed with production. Once production begins, Tiffany from USPCC assures me she will do everything in her power to get things moved along as quickly as possible. Allowing for possible production issues, printing and shipping the decks to DKG should take 6 to 8 weeks once production begins.

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2014, 05:37:53 PM »

D. Dorn

• True Member
I has a sad. :(

This was one of the first Kickstarter projects I signed up for, and one of the first custom decks I had discovered.  I guess I'll continue to wait...

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2014, 12:05:39 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
NEW Cthulhu Bicycle®

Project by: Dann Kriss
2nd created, $12,000 goal, $12 for 1, $22 for 2 decks

See the images above - or the LACK of them?

This is why I encourage posters to upload images rather than link to them.  If someone on the other end of that link yanks the picture, it vanishes here as well!

I read what he wrote about his "anti-trademark" defense.  I'm not a lawyer, but I don't really see that he has a legal leg to stand on if the trademark is indeed registered for Fantasy Flight's game.

1. COMMON USAGE - while the world at large might not make those associations, the card game playing world, especially the custom card game world (as in custom games, not custom cards) would make the association he claims the general public wouldn't.

2. CATEGORY - FFG's "Elder Sign" is a game played with cards.  This deck is playing cards - cards used to play games.  Of course it's possible that this would cause confusion in the market!

3. DILUTION - the amount of dilution isn't what's up for debate, it's the fact that dilution occurs at all.  It's the same reason why USPC will vigorously pursue companies that are using their trademark backs for mass-produced playing cards.  They can't allow even a LITTLE dilution of their trademark designs, or they're no longer defensible as trademarks, so no marked decks, no gaffed backs, etc.  If just a little dilution was allowed, they'd still be printing these things in-house.  But they're not.  FFG has to pursue this dilution of their trademark or risk weakening their own case against any possible future infringements on their intellectual property, regardless of how small it is.  If it was "Elder Sign Breakfast Cereal" or "the Elder Sign Bar and Grill" it would be a different ball game, but it's a pack of playing cards, and "Elder Sign" is the name of a card game.