You are Here:
Showing early sketches

Author (Read 674 times)

Showing early sketches
« on: October 23, 2013, 05:54:47 AM »

G_K

• Newcomer
Inside this forum I read this as a suggestion :
''I would show to the community your first motivation and sketches just to see if it could be interesting.''

And I just wondered how safe can be showing early sketches of a new card design or any other project regarding this forum, in here or everywhere else and these or the idea will not be stolen.....
For sure I am new in this forum and maybe I have missed something, but I tried hard to find through search a convenience reply to that.
Any suggestions are more than welcome.

PS 1: the past years  I was running a company making totally custom promotional goods I have been f....d up with a lot my ideas
PS 2: sorry for any grammar, syntax mistakes using the English I learned 35 years ago

Re: Showing early sketches
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 06:34:58 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Many designers come here to show off their sketches.  They don't have to show off the entire design, and designers will take precautions, such as presenting images from a raked angle - it allows you to see the design while making it difficult to produce an accurate flat image - or incorporating watermarks.

Does that guarantee that someone won't steal your idea?  No, not at all.  But you can prove prior art easily enough by printing out the page here where your sketches appear, complete with timestamps.  Honestly, though, in most cases people won't bother - there's not enough return on the effort it would take.

Only one have I ever heard of a custom deck being forged - the Curator deck was published in Russia by a company with no rights to it before the US release.  The only reason they were able to do it was that at the time, the designer, Emmanuel Jose, released perfectly flat, squared, unwatermarked images of the entire deck online - he actually didn't intent to release it as a deck when he created it; it was an art project, with each card being several inches high and wide.  These days, he takes measures to prevent unauthorized copying, and he doesn't have those hassles anymore.  The forged decks are still out there, but they have the wrong backs on them and are on terrible pasteboard stock - no one in their right mind would prefer it over the actual deck, which is still available today.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 06:41:18 AM »

G_K

• Newcomer
Really appreciated and well noted
Thanks

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 06:48:47 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
Images are hardly ever stolen if they're watermarked or skewed. Not to mention that most everyone on the forum will have great tips on the design, and how to release the deck.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 02:15:20 PM »

Jamm Pakd Cards

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
I agree with Don, I dont think most people will bother with the hassle with trying to take your idea when it comes to custom decks. 

I am creating a custom deck and I have been posting my images on this forum for a bit now.  I have been posting my rough images here to get feedback.  Like MrMollusk stated you will get great feedback. I have been getting great tips and feedback on my deck which has helped me.  I haven't posted the revised versions so my final product isnt out until I am ready to launch my deck but by posting what I have so far gives people the direction I am going.

Also I look at post on the forum as kind of a protection.  People will see the idea you are going for and they will start to know who is coming out with that deck.  So if someone comes out and tries to steal your idea then people will know that they were not the original creator because you will have already established a reputation. 

Hope this helps, I have found this is a great place to share your ideas and learn from other that have been doing this for a bit.

Justin
Jamm Pakd Cards
Wild West Decks - Coming Soon to Kickstarter
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/JammPakdCards?ref=hl
Kickstarter: Wild West Coming Soon 2016

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 10:09:11 PM »

Lukeout

• Forum Regular

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Just going to chime in and say share away. This site has been amazing with constructive feedback.
"Design is nothing more or less than the ability to go from what exists to what is preferred."