You are Here:
Hello

Author (Read 1014 times)

Hello
« on: November 05, 2013, 03:49:16 AM »

speedyy400

• Elite Member
Hello everyone,
So I am new to the whole playing card collecting gig and honestly thought that I was alone in the process for the most part. I have spent the past couple weeks looking through amazon and ebay at decks that look awesome and "worth" buying. I finally came across this and felt that I wasn't alone which is awesome. So as a beginner, would any of you happen to have any words of advice. I know I cannot afford being a big time collector since I am in fact a college student, but tips that could help my small collection would be greatly appreciated. All the best =D

Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 06:17:06 AM »

ronyo_faukx

• Elite Member
  • What does the Faukx say?

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

I'm sure with Don will be along soon with his Pearls of Wisdom, but for me I think that a budget is your number one priority. Without this, you may find that you end up spending a whole lot more than you intended.

In addition, you may want to make a wishlist of sorts. This will guide your directing of money towards things which interest you (zombie, steampunk, oriental, etc.) and don't forget to check the Playing Card Plethora section for new decks being released to see what others think of the deck, as well as chipping in your 2 cents. Also, use the Search box on the forum for checking for any past discussions regarding decks you're looking at. Most are available for viewing, especially those made by USPCC/Bicycle.

If you do decide to look and purchase through eBay, I would ensure that you select the 'Lowest price: purchase + postage' option from the drop down menu in the top right of the page, as this will allow you to see the decks with a total within your price range first.
Who wants to play '52 Card Pickup'?

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 06:45:52 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Don's "Pearls of Wisdom [TM]"

Buy what you like, period.  Don't buy a deck because everyone else is or because you're trying to be a completist.  You'll end up wasting money on terrible decks you don't like.  The sole exception to that rule would be if you want to buy a deck to use as trading fodder down the road - if you can get a popular, rare deck for that purpose, great; just be sure it's a deck who's value will appreciate at least over the short term.  And strike while the iron's hot!  Wait too long and interest will wane as will the deck's value.

Having said that, never stock up on a ton of one deck in hopes that you'll sell it later and make lots of cash.  Pcik the wrong deck and you're in a world of financial hurt.  Pick the right one and it can still be a royal nuisance dealing with that many decks, perhaps more than the cash you earn is worth.

Buy within a budget.  Artists love having no restrictions but when presented with limits, can often produce amazing works.  Collecting works the same way.

Have fun with your decks.  For many, that's "one to use, one to save" - play with your cards if that's your inclination.  Some prefer leaving them in pristine condition, still wrapped and sealed - if that's your thing, have at it.  But the minute the hobby becomes more of an annoyance or a pain in the ass than it is fun, you're in the wrong hobby.

Start slowly building your collection.  It's easier on the wallet as well as on the limited amount of space most people have in their homes, especially young college students.

Don't go too crazy about the decks you missed.  If you can find some cheap, great, but if they're really costly, somehow I think you'll live if you opt not to have it and get a few of something more affordable instead.  When I was starting collecting, I set a ceiling of how much I'll spend on a deck - more than that and it isn't worth it.  I still largely obey that ceiling.  After all, even a rare deck is still a stack of pasteboard in a box, as permanent as an ocean wave or a summer breeze.

Welcome to the boards!  We hope you'll enjoy your stay.  We're a pretty friendly bunch and don't generally bite too hard...  :))
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 08:52:47 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
First off, welcome to the site speedyy!

Great advice from both Ronyo and Don. I started collecting in mid September and I've learned a ton from the members on this site, my advice on top of the previous advice...look at a lot of decks, see what made them popular, what made them mediocre and then form you own opinion of what you like and dislike. Check out the video reviews and follow along with comments on new decks, not so much for what others think, although that's a good thing too, but to see what they are pointing out about the cards. When I started I didn't even consider anything past the back design of a playing card, it was a lot of "Ohhhh Shinny" type reaction. And don't be afraid to ask questions, as mentioned though, the search function is your friend.

I'm not a magician or a cardist, I'm a collector. I say that only because I think the hardest thing is to decide how your going to collect. As a magician or cardist you may look at things one way and as a collector you may not always be looking at handling, form and function. With that being said, I have been practicing single handed cuts and fans...strictly for myself, and I'm now starting to get a better understanding of finishes, stock and handling which in turn is making me, the collector, better educated in what I collect. Learn as much as you can.

I guarantee what you think you like today will change as time goes by, it's part of the process, just make sure your enjoying your hobby, contribute to the conversations, you'll learn more that way and lastly............there is no right or wrong deck to collect, it's your collection.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 08:54:56 AM by Sparkz »

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 12:04:52 PM »

bhong

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
  • Mere-Mortal playing card collector
Welcome!

I think everyone has given great advice, but I'll echo one of the most important advice I've gotten is: enjoy your collection, pick up what you like and don't go overboard and let the collection ruin the fun of the collection.

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 03:18:38 PM »

speedyy400

• Elite Member
Thank you very much for all of your advice. I really did take a lot from it. To give you an idea on how I am starting out, I currently have 7 total decks. Not a lot but certainly a start =p To list them, I have:
Bicycle
Tragic Royalty
Steam Punk
Expert Back
Limited Edition Series #1 & #2 (sealed)
Karnival Elite (sealed)
Karnival Assassins Foil Case (sealed)

As you can see, I have only purchased Bicycle cards but I have slowly become interested in what Ellusionist has to offer.

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 12:12:15 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Thank you very much for all of your advice. I really did take a lot from it. To give you an idea on how I am starting out, I currently have 7 total decks. Not a lot but certainly a start =p To list them, I have:
Bicycle
Tragic Royalty
Steam Punk
Expert Back
Limited Edition Series #1 & #2 (sealed)
Karnival Elite (sealed)
Karnival Assassins Foil Case (sealed)

As you can see, I have only purchased Bicycle cards but I have slowly become interested in what Ellusionist has to offer.

Ellusionist is often the "drug of choice" for the beginning collector!  :))  Theirs were the first custom decks I ordered, back in December of 2010.

It's never about the size of the collection - people can brag about how many dozens, hundreds or in some cases thousands of decks they own, and it doesn't mean a thing.  It's all about you being happy with what you're getting for yourself, period.

If you enjoy the Karnival series, you should check out the site that makes them, Big Blind Media, a magic company based in the UK.  You can buy directly from their site and they have a coupon code for Discourse members for 10% off, a one-shot deal.  You can find that and other coupon codes on the sticky topic dedicated to the subject at the top of the Sales, Trades and In Search Of (STISO) board.  Just don't post there yet - we have minimum requirements to participate on that board: 25 posts in other topics, 7 days as a member and a posting reputation of at least 1.

If you like the Steam Punks, you should check out the site of the company that designed them, Theory11 (http://ww.theory11.com).  T11 also did the redesign of the bicyclecards.com website for USPC.  They have some great designs, much better than the Steam Punks!  BTW: Steam Punks come in three colors, brass, copper and silver.  The brass deck was the least well liked due to it not having the embossed box and custom colors of the other two decks.  But as I said, if it makes you happy...  :))

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 01:07:56 AM »

speedyy400

• Elite Member
I certainly am a fan of the Karnival series. I am currently working on purchasing the Karnival Dead Eyes deck. I am teaching myself to hold out until I find a price that actually fits my budget =p I backed a KickStarter project today so that is my money for a couple of days. I saw something today about Karnival Delirium, so that may be the next deck I might invest in. I certainly have learned a ton in the day I have been a member here and am looking forward to the tons I have left to learn.

I do have a Steam Punk deck but turns out I am not a fan of it. I believe I got the brass version and was let down by the actual deck itself. That being said, it is a lesson learned and will not continue purchasing from the Steam Punk Series.

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 01:18:10 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I certainly am a fan of the Karnival series. I am currently working on purchasing the Karnival Dead Eyes deck. I am teaching myself to hold out until I find a price that actually fits my budget =p I backed a KickStarter project today so that is my money for a couple of days. I saw something today about Karnival Delirium, so that may be the next deck I might invest in. I certainly have learned a ton in the day I have been a member here and am looking forward to the tons I have left to learn.

I do have a Steam Punk deck but turns out I am not a fan of it. I believe I got the brass version and was let down by the actual deck itself. That being said, it is a lesson learned and will not continue purchasing from the Steam Punk Series.

Glad that you're learning something while you're here.  You might want to look at the other Steam Punk decks before ruling them out entirely.  While they're not the finest work T11 has ever produced, the brass version is the least of them - copper and silver look better.

The Karnival Dead Eyes deck is available in two versions - the original version and the "limited edition" with the shinier foil box.  That shinier version is newer and can be had for less, and I think it has a better feel to the finish.  It's a shame that it's sold out on the BBM site, but the uncut sheet of it is still there.  An uncut sheet, if you're not familiar with the term, is a single sheet containing all the cards for a single deck - it's in essence a deck of cards removed from the printing press before the cards get cut out of the paper and sorted into the box.  Some people hang them up like artwork and some people collect them.

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2013, 01:21:11 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
speedy, welcome to the forum. I see you jumping in and making comments. Glad to see it. Always good to have fresh opinions.
You mentioned being new to collecting playing card decks. Come check out The New Deck Report. Right now it just has Kicksarter information on it, but there is a lot of projects that you can take a look at. Looking at several decks, you can quickly start to differentiate between junk, and nice designs. Good luck, and welcome to being broke world.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2013, 01:55:28 AM »

speedyy400

• Elite Member
Thank you very much Rob. I am trying my best to integrate myself amongst this established forum. You all seem to have a solid background in the world of playing cards, so I am trying my best to learning and catching up. I feel that by actually posting in this forum, as much as possible, even if it is not that in depth as most, helps keep me on top of the information posted here and learn something about the decks.

I have quickly realized that you are the guy to introduce all of the decks that are new to Kickstarter. As a newbie, and I can probably speak for the vast majority here, that what you do is very helpful. I never heard of the website Kickstarter before here. After being a member here for only 2 days, I've already backed two separate projects. I don't say this in a bragging matter, since people obviously back way more, I say this in appreciation for what you do because I probably would never have come across them without you. The only downfall to this is that I am going broke because it is so hard to say no to these decks. As I'm sure most people know, being a college student, broke is your middle name. So when you are new to something, and are shown a whole new plethora of cards, you can't help your self but spend what is left of the limited amount of money you have.

More to the point, I love seeing how awesome a community you guys have established here. I am still in disbelief that I am not alone in the enjoyment of collecting playing cards. It is definitely a new hobby of mine but I thought it was something that wouldn't have as large a backing as it does. I also appreciate the fact that someone like yourself Rob, and Don, posting on new topics like this for new members acknowledging them. It makes new members like myself feel more accepted. So in short, thank you for what you guys do and making this place possible for those of us who love the same thing.