You are Here:
I'm such a noob.

Author (Read 513 times)

I'm such a noob.
« on: November 05, 2013, 12:00:31 PM »

kateofclubs

• Newcomer
Hi Discourse! I'm Kate, a total newbie to the wide world of card fans. While I'm not a magician or cardist, I love actually playing cards and I adore beautiful deck designs.

A question to the veterans out there: while I know of sites like Ellusionist and Theory 11, do you have any other sites you recommend for premium-style cards? Thank you in advance!
"Ten oughta do it, don't you think?"

Re: I'm such a noob.
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 12:10:50 PM »

bhong

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
  • Mere-Mortal playing card collector
Welcome, Kate!

No worries about being a newbie, we've all got to start somewhere.

Besides Ellusionist, Theory11, there's also Dan & Dave, The Blue Crown/House of Playing Card and Conjuring Art Research Centre. I'm sure I'll stand corrected by someone else, but those are the ones off the top of my head. There's also Kickstarter where solo designers have offered up their own creations, who have created some really really amazing works like Jackson Robinson's Federal 52 series and current Sherlock Holmes decks, Paul Carpenter's Deco deck, Chris Chelko's Whisper Imps, Lee Mckenzie's Empire deck and honestly the list could go on.

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 01:47:19 PM »

kdklown

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Twitter:
Welcome, Kate.  You'll stumble across a bunch of card sites the more you look.  Most of them are on level ground.  You just have to choose who you like dealing with.  The only ones I would add to this list are...

www.PenguinMagic.com
From my experience they have a lot of decks available (though you have to search for them), they are price very well and they ship fast.  I tend to try them first.

www.the1eyedjack.com
Jason is the owner and he has a pretty large selection, comparable pricing and is a good guy.  I reached out to him with a lot of questions when I first got started (prior to joining the forums) and he was more than helpful and willing to give me a lot of info. 

Have fun and good luck!

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 01:52:22 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Welcome to the site Kate!

You'll find plenty of places to get playing cards.....once you have that though youre head will be spinning as to how much variety is out there, good and bad  ;) There are plenty of resources on the site to do some research on decks that interest you so take advantage of them.

Enjoy the site, ask questions, contribute.............and the search function is your best friend. I was told that when I stumbled in here and it's a big help

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 03:15:18 PM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
Welcome Kate. Whereabouts are you from?
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 03:35:46 PM »

kateofclubs

• Newcomer
Hi everyone. Thank you for your replies! I'm about to go check out all of these sites right now. And ahh, I just saw the Sherlock Holmes Deck on Kickstarter the other day. That was some fast funding.

And thanks for asking, Nurul, I missed mentioning that in the opener—I'm from Ohio in the USA. Fun stuff.
"Ten oughta do it, don't you think?"

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 04:53:09 PM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
Ahhh you have lots of sites and retailers to choose from where shipping won't be horrible :) let us know what you get :)
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 11:59:06 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Hi everyone. Thank you for your replies! I'm about to go check out all of these sites right now. And ahh, I just saw the Sherlock Holmes Deck on Kickstarter the other day. That was some fast funding.

And thanks for asking, Nurul, I missed mentioning that in the opener—I'm from Ohio in the USA. Fun stuff.

Welcome aboard, Kate.  As you can see, there's no shortage of places to find good decks.  Especially for you - you might be one of the closest among us distance-wise to USPC's headquarters and printing plant!  After all, Erlanger, Kentucky is just a suburb of Cincinnati, right?

I'm surprised no one mentioned eBay as a good source for decks!  You'll find both current and vintage decks there - the vintage ones can be some of the most beautiful; they really knew how to make cards back then.  Amazon.com is also an unlikely candidate for card shopping, but keep an eye on shipping charges - some of their third-party retailers charge outrageous shipping fees.

Go to the Sales, Trades and In Search Of board here, better known as the STISO.  While you're still too new of a member to participate in sales and trades there, we do have a sticky topic near the top of the topic list that lists some magic/card retailers and the coupon codes or other discounts that are available.  It could help you save a few bucks.

And please remember - the only stupid question is the one you DON'T ask.  We're here for the same reason you are, because we love playing cards.  I'm a terrible cardist, a middling magician but I love to play cards!  It's in my blood - my mother's father and brothers were all inveterate card players, and my dad would also get bitten by the bug now and again.  So as a kid, cards were always around, and they were among my favorite "toys" because of the many different games you could play with them - or even invent!  Card designs I collect now in many cases are card designs I remember fondly as a child, or they're such bold new takes on the design that they can leave me speechless and just dying to play!  I never go anywhere these days without at least two decks in my possession, and I usually bring at least a half-dozen decks to work (I have a lot of slack time on my job)...

Currently, my "pocket decks" are a pack of white Aladdins (with a tapered edge!) and a pack of blue Rider Backs in the WalMart exclusive box (with an extra guarantee joker).  My uniform usually has a pack of David Blaine blue Split Spade Lions (also tapered) and a nearly-vintage pack of Bee Diamond Backs in an old Aviator deck tuck box wrapped with blue painter's tape!  Tonight, my half-dozen from home are a simple collection - the Legends deck in all three colors and the Artifice deck in v2 blue, emerald and Tundra.

What are some of your favorites?  What makes them appeal to you?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 12:01:08 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/