Paid Card Clubs?
« on: November 10, 2013, 07:37:48 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
So in the last few months I've heard of a few clubs with fees to join, I was wondering who belonged to which ones and which you would recommend? What experiences can you share? Which ones do you think are worth the investment? Also, not all of them indicate, or I'm not seeing it, if their membership is annual or not, can anyway offer up some guidance in that aspect.

These are the 4 I hear mentioned quite a bit, if there are others please let me/us know.

52 Plus Joker $25 Annually

Chicago Playing Card Collectors $25 Annually

Bicycle Club 808 $18.00, not sure if this is annually

Ellusionist Black Club $147.00 annually

As always, thanks for the input and information  :)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 07:39:15 PM by Sparkz »

Re: Paid Card Clubs?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 07:39:25 PM »

phantom1412

• Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Black club is 1 year period membership.

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 07:49:02 PM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
I am a member of 52 plus joker and will go to as many conventions as possible after this past years convention. The Magazine "Clear the Decks" that comes out quarterly is worth the member ship.
Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 09:09:01 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
Dan and Dave's deck of the month club seems to be pretty popular. But I've heard their membership blows.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 10:04:17 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
So in the last few months I've heard of a few clubs with fees to join, I was wondering who belonged to which ones and which you would recommend? What experiences can you share? Which ones do you think are worth the investment? Also, not all of them indicate, or I'm not seeing it, if their membership is annual or not, can anyway offer up some guidance in that aspect.

These are the 4 I hear mentioned quite a bit, if there are others please let me/us know.

52 Plus Joker $25 Annually

Chicago Playing Card Collectors $25 Annually

Bicycle Club 808 $18.00, not sure if this is annually

Ellusionist Black Club $147.00 annually

As always, thanks for the input and information  :)

52 Plus Joker - as Jackson said, the info alone is worth it.  The annual con is great - two cons back, they went on a tour of the Erlanger USPC plant!  I just wish I could have gone.  This year's con was in Las Vegas, next year's con is in SC, I think.  They're usually scheduled late-summer/early-fall.  Gives you a chance to learn a boatload of information and make a lot of great contacts - and it's no longer just about vintage decks, either, though they haven't forgotten them.  The membership is growing and getting younger.

CPCC - Couldn't say, though I'll mention they specialize in collecting single cards rather than decks.

Bicycle Club 808 - you get your money's worth and access to exclusive member-only decks for purchase.  Worth it.

Ellusionist Black Club - on the surface, it's marginal.  But factor in all the unlisted goodies, like a free Red Arcane deck (with any shippable purchase within a time limit) and a free Gold Arcane uncut (only had to pay shipping), then it starts to look more worthwhile.  Toss in the 5% off on everything and it looks better, especially if you plan to make some big-ticket purchases.

Dan and Dave Deck of the Month - eh, maybe every second or third deck is worth it, but you never know until they arrive, and you only get one color if it comes in more than one color.  It's financially less costly, but to me it looks like too much of a crapshoot.

Dave and Dave Membership - haven't heard a good thing about it from anyone.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 08:43:25 AM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
club 808 is per year, you get a bunch of stuff on play more cards day - dont know if they will keep doing that though - it was so worth it. plus I won a couple contest, got an uncut I dont want and a dvd I dont want. No one will trade with me and I hate dealing with paypal to sell and really dont want to do ebay.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 09:58:23 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
club 808 is per year, you get a bunch of stuff on play more cards day - dont know if they will keep doing that though - it was so worth it. plus I won a couple contest, got an uncut I dont want and a dvd I dont want. No one will trade with me and I hate dealing with paypal to sell and really dont want to do ebay.

Which DVD and which uncut?  Maybe I'd be interested...

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 11:19:45 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
I might join Black Club for Black Friday. I have a feeling E is going to top itself for year two.

I belong to the 808 Club. The play more cards kit was worth the price of entry. However, I never bought anything exclusive.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 11:24:01 AM by !An0nym0u5 »

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 04:47:01 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
Poker cheats exposed featuring sal piacente - signed. And the cigar deck uncutt.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2013, 09:50:57 AM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
I like 808 a lot as well, and I also won a couple of things from them. Well worth it, and I will gladly re-up next year.

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2013, 09:34:07 PM »

bhong

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
  • Mere-Mortal playing card collector
I might join Black Club for Black Friday. I have a feeling E is going to top itself for year two.

I belong to the 808 Club. The play more cards kit was worth the price of entry. However, I never bought anything exclusive.

What's in the 808 club play more cards kit?

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2013, 10:02:07 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

What's in the 808 club play more cards kit?

USPC announced a day in March this year to be "Play More Cards Day", and to commemorate it, issued free bricks of Bicycle Standards as part of a kit including score cards, pencils, cups, etc. with the Bicycle brand on them.  While others could get the kits by requesting them within a certain time frame, the 808 members got them automatically as a perq of membership.  We have a topic all about it somewhere on this board - do a search for it.