Author (Read 7255 times)

NEW DECK -- Bicycle Pale Riders
« on: November 10, 2011, 07:27:23 PM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
These decks have been postponed a couple times.  They are now listed with a January release, but who really know.  The website writes...

"Behold! The Pale Rider! A new deck of Bicycle playing cards featuring the Rider back design comfortably worn and faded on both sides!

Pale Riders are unique among specialty decks. In addition to their washed look, they also have a custom finish – smooth enough for fans and flourishes, yet a rigid grip for your favorite lifts and counts!

Reminiscent of stonewashed jeans, Pale Riders boast such a thin layer of ink you can actually feel the crosshatch texture of their Bicycle stock. Like your favorite pair of denims, the result is a distinctive look you can feel!

• Genuine Bicycle card stock!
• Comfortably worn and faded!
• Available in red and blue backs!
• See the difference! Feel the difference!

Pale Riders are Bicycle playing cards printed by the U.S. Playing Card Company, altered from factory condition to produce the custom finish. They lend themselves well to the journeyman card trick or a street-style manipulation act!"

Here's the link: http://www.magic.org/store/product_info.php?products_id=6656

CBJ
  I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

Also, follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

Re: NEW DECK -- Bicycle Pale Riders
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 07:34:28 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
I honestly don't hope they postpone it this time, how many times has it been? 3?
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 07:47:41 PM »

PoundFFFFFF

• Elite Member
Point = where?

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 07:56:23 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:
Point = where?

It'd be really cool if someone could use Pure Smoke, change a normal deck into a faded deck,  then turn that into a double blank deck, but the only card that stays original is the selected card. I have no idea how this would work, but it'd be pretty epic.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 08:10:42 PM »

PoundFFFFFF

• Elite Member
It'd be really cool if someone could use Pure Smoke, change a normal deck into a faded deck,  then turn that into a double blank deck, but the only card that stays original is the selected card. I have no idea how this would work, but it'd be pretty epic.

That could work~ but I'm just thinking.. this is essentially the same as Magic Makers and their rainbow line of Bikes. Before it was just Red, Blue, Yellow, Green, Purple, Black... now there are things like Faded... Multicolor... Twilight/Flirtatious line... Pale..
  The point we buy custom decks is because we want to stop looking at the rider backs for a while.

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 08:12:55 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:
  That could work~ but I'm just thinking.. this is essentially the same as Magic Makers and their rainbow line of Bikes. Before it was just Red, Blue, Yellow, Green, Purple, Black... now there are things like Faded... Multicolor... Twilight/Flirtatious line... Pale..
  The point we buy custom decks is because we want to stop looking at the rider backs for a while.

Very true, but I love using bikes during magic because EVERYONE knows bikes and would not be as suspicious as if I were to use Artifice playing cards.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 04:25:47 AM »

phantom1412

• Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Yeah, this could be very nice gaff cards.
By seeing all these decks, I wanna know if there is any store that have most decks that coming out.
I really hate to order 1 deck and pay the shipping. My choice is alwys get a brick or get nothing, unless it's kickstarter decks.

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 04:27:01 AM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
This looks like a very interesting deck. First off, the handling I would expect would be different if it really has the texture of crosshatched denim... no? What interests me the most is how it isn't a color change. Most decks simply change the color of the court cards/backs etc. but this deck is just a super faded look. Its very interesting.

It reminds me of the 1800 bikes (for the faded reason) but at the same time it is very different. I could easily see these being very useful for magic routines. There are almost endless possibilities you could do with such a similar deck to regular bikes; which makes this an ingenious idea.

To be honest I actually like these quite a bit! I'll probably look to pick up a few.
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 04:30:00 AM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Let's face it, this deck has no artistic value. It has no value beyond being a possible gaff for your routine. It's being put out by a magic company, so I doubt they have been marketing as "the next big thing."

If I were a more talented magician I'd pick these up if I could incorporate them into my routine well.

@brown_baggs: Handling will be the same as any USPCC deck, I'd imagine. The ink saturation may be very low, but that's it as far as I can tell.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 05:18:59 AM »

MrLukeCarroll

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
Yeah ill deffinetly pick these up for my magic rather then for my card collection
Mystery is the basic appeal of magic. Once the secrets are known, the magician becomes a mere manipulator, an actor in a suspense drama which has little impact because the audience knows the ending in advance.

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2011, 11:00:09 AM »

vmagic

In case you've all forgotten there's already been Faded Bicycle decks before, these are a bit different though. One thing I must point out is that website is selling them for $11.95 a deck, seems way overpriced to me. Should only be $5 each!

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2011, 05:11:21 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I think they're an interesting idea, but BMPokerworld canceled his order with all the postponements.  $12 a pack is way too much for a gimmicky deck like this.  Plus the way they describe the ordering/shipping - the first hundred decks will ship in January, the entire print run will be sold out by then...  What exactly is the entire print run?  Is it a limited edition or something that will be regularly stocked?  With all those questions unanswered and that price point, I'm holding off.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012, 07:55:52 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I sent the Magic Depot an email to inquire about the missing information on these cards.  Let's see what they say... They look kinda cool to me, but I go for goofy decks.  :))

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2012, 08:43:32 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
I sent the Magic Depot an email to inquire about the missing information on these cards.  Let's see what they say... They look kinda cool to me, but I go for goofy decks.

They look cool to me too! I kind of forgot about this one. I know not many people for excited about it but usually there is still chatter about a deck nonetheless. Let us know what you find out!

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2012, 08:58:01 PM »

Derek

• Discourse Veteran
There's already two decks out there that look worn, and look 100x better than this honestly. I could have made these designs in 5 minutes in photoshop. I don't get it sorry.
You buy a Ferrari when you want to be someone. You buy a Lamborghini when you are someone. - Frank Sinatra

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2012, 09:58:09 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
There's already two decks out there that look worn, and look 100x better than this honestly. I could have made these designs in 5 minutes in photoshop. I don't get it sorry.

I think there is a difference between this and the others. This one looks worn and faded, but the others look out of date. This deck doesn't look like it came from another era but instead just looks like it went through the wash or something. I like it for that subtle odd change, but I can understand why somebody may not like it.

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2012, 10:33:27 PM »

Derek

• Discourse Veteran

I think there is a difference between this and the others. This one looks worn and faded, but the others look out of date. This deck doesn't look like it came from another era but instead just looks like it went through the wash or something. I like it for that subtle odd change, but I can understand why somebody may not like it.

Yeah I understand they don't look very much alike but I mean, they still are supposed to look old and faded and this one just looks boring. The others looks really cool. Just my opinion, not much originality in this deck just saying.
You buy a Ferrari when you want to be someone. You buy a Lamborghini when you are someone. - Frank Sinatra

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2012, 10:45:47 PM »

Frost

• Discourse Royalty
i like them alot !!!

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2012, 11:02:21 PM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
they are ok but I dont think I would buy them.
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2012, 02:39:20 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

There's a few "worn look" decks - the "dirty" two-deck set, the "faded" deck from MM, the 1800's from E.  But these remind me of overwashed denim.  This isn't really "worn" in the sense that it doesn't look like it was dumped into filthy chemical-ridden water or left at the bottom of a gold mine for the past hundred years.  Those decks are going more for an "aged" look, while these are more "faded" than "aged".

I could picture a wicked color change...  Let's say you have the original Ice Blue deck - the one with a standard blue back but an all-blue front.  Start with that deck, choose a card, then "fade" it down to standard Bike blue.  From that, you fade it further, into an 1800 Bike blue.  Lastly, you "wash" the 1800 'cause it's so filthy, and you end up with a Pale Rider blue!  You could weave a pretty cool story around it.

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2012, 07:29:55 AM »

Derek

• Discourse Veteran

There's a few "worn look" decks - the "dirty" two-deck set, the "faded" deck from MM, the 1800's from E.  But these remind me of overwashed denim.  This isn't really "worn" in the sense that it doesn't look like it was dumped into filthy chemical-ridden water or left at the bottom of a gold mine for the past hundred years.  Those decks are going more for an "aged" look, while these are more "faded" than "aged".

I could picture a wicked color change...  Let's say you have the original Ice Blue deck - the one with a standard blue back but an all-blue front.  Start with that deck, choose a card, then "fade" it down to standard Bike blue.  From that, you fade it further, into an 1800 Bike blue.  Lastly, you "wash" the 1800 'cause it's so filthy, and you end up with a Pale Rider blue!  You could weave a pretty cool story around it.

You bring up a good point in using it with other cards. But it still doesn't do it for me. It's kinda of cool I guess? And any collector of Bikes i'm sure will pick it up, other than that I just don't like it at all. The 1800 series is going for the same thing but with some dirtiness mixed in with it. I just compared the cards and they are a little less worn with that dirty feel, something I much prefer even if the concepts are slightly different.

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2012, 07:50:05 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

You bring up a good point in using it with other cards. But it still doesn't do it for me. It's kinda of cool I guess? And any collector of Bikes i'm sure will pick it up, other than that I just don't like it at all. The 1800 series is going for the same thing but with some dirtiness mixed in with it. I just compared the cards and they are a little less worn with that dirty feel, something I much prefer even if the concepts are slightly different.

Alex said it earlier, they're more of a gaff deck.  I doubt you'd ever find serious players using these cards at the table and they don't have as much appeal to collectors, unless they happen to like strange variations.

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2012, 07:33:14 AM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
I don't really know about these ones.

The faded deck is VERY similar to this one, maybe too similar.

And the pricepoint seems very high.

CBJ
  I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

Also, follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2012, 08:45:06 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I don't really know about these ones.

The faded deck is VERY similar to this one, maybe too similar.

And the pricepoint seems very high.

CBJ

If these folks are the only sellers, and they're charging that much, this deck is dead in the water...  BMPW gave up on them because of the constant delays on the release.  BTW: I haven't heard squat back from them via email.

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2012, 11:22:42 PM »

DidoDido

• True Member

• Facebook:
well.... today is 26th of Jan and it suppose to shipped 22th of Jan... anyone who received their package ??
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 11:23:09 PM by cji1321 »