You are Here:
Safety tips everyone should know

Author (Read 1044 times)

Safety tips everyone should know
« on: November 21, 2013, 07:42:42 AM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
So I had no idea what to put as the subject but I just wanted to share an experience that happen to me and what I learned. So everytime I saw someone on tv break a glass on tv I assumed it was fake/not possible. I now know you can really do it. Though I don't recommend it, bunch of cuts in my hand. I had to use tweezers to pull some of the glass out and vacuum most of my carpet. My left hand was cut bad enough the bandaid could not hold it so since I had no gauze I used tp and tape. Will pick some gauze up later incase it gets worse or something like this happens again. So note to all, be careful when drinking out of glasses.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

Re: Safety tips everyone should know
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 09:46:28 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Wait - have you been drinking again?  :))

Use candy glass - you can even eat the leftovers...
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 11:46:28 AM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
Yes, but thats not the point. During this incident I was sober and drinking water.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 02:04:44 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
If you guys ever get a papercut, or a burn, follow this process to feel literally no pain:

Rinse out your wound with water, and pop it onto something frozen, like ice, and wait about a minute until the ice starts to burn.

Take yourself off the ice, wait a minute, and then repeat.

Now go get chapstick, the blue, unflavored, unmedicated kind, and shove that shit all over your cut/burn.

Enjoy
Forum Founder.

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 03:48:03 PM »

10ofclubs

• Discourse Veteran
Wait, I'm confused about what you were testing. You thought that glass didn't break???

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 07:25:47 PM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
Wait, I'm confused about what you were testing. You thought that glass didn't break???

I was not testing anything, I was not paying attention and was squeezing my glass. Before this I never thought you could squeeze it to break. Figured it was to strong.

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 10:25:01 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I was not testing anything, I was not paying attention and was squeezing my glass. Before this I never thought you could squeeze it to break. Figured it was to strong.

Two things you should know, if you didn't already:

1) Glass does break.  If you're that absent-minded about squeezing your drinkware, consider getting polycarbonate vessels instead.  You can drop them on concrete and they won't break, and they look just as nice as glass.

2) On TV, they DON'T USE REAL GLASS.  When a glass breaks, except for the rare accident caught on film, it's usually something I mentioned earlier - candy glass.  Candy glass is just what it sounds like - it's rock candy, but shaped and polished to have the appearance of real glass.  It will even hold a beverage for a limited amount of time.  Crush it in your hand, shatter it over your head - no real ill effects to speak of.  You literally can eat the remaining pieces - it's made mostly of sugar.  Mugs, bottles, even windows can be made of the stuff.  I'm told it's not very cheap, but it's a whole lot safer than breaking real glass.

Ever watch an older movie or TV show, when someone shatters a piece of car glass and instead of breaking in a sheet like safety glass is supposed to, it breaks more like an ordinary window would?  That's because they replaced the window with candy glass specifically so it can be broken.

I actually managed to intentionally break a car window once, barehanded.  I was young, foolish, drunk and lucky - didn't even so much as scratch myself, never mind creating a real wound or breaking a bone.  It's not something I'd recommend anyone should attempt, but at least I know how it's done...
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 10:26:23 PM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 09:36:28 AM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
where can I buy those vessels? also I was just not paying attention. And you can eat real glass, though its not good for your teeth.

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2013, 10:01:05 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
where can I buy those vessels? also I was just not paying attention. And you can eat real glass, though its not good for your teeth.

Glass, not good for your teeth?  Who'd've guessed?  :))

http://www.google.com/search?rls=en&q=polycarbonate+glassware&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

There's no shortage of places selling the stuff.  Check out barware.com - they have a "stress test" video where they launch cups in the air to land on concrete.  They bounce - a lot - but they don't break.  I'm guessing they're a lot lighter than glass as well and probably con't have the same feel, but the clear ones really look like glass in photos and videos.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 10:03:26 AM by Don Boyer »